Discussion Question About What Pokémon Cards are Made From

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I'm just curious about what they're made from and the process to make them... the reason why is because SM cards smell different to usual. I know that sounds odd, it's just that I get nostalgic when I smell Pokémon cards, as smell is a big deal for me and for some reason SM cards smell like burnt rubber! Is it so kids won't eat them or something, like how Switch carts taste bad?

Another thing I've noticed is how Japanese Pokémon cards also smell different to English and SM cards, so why do the cards smell different? Is it the way they process them? The ink used or for some other reason? Are Pokémon cards made of plastic now?

Sorry if this sounds weird or anything, but I've been going through a lot recently, so opening a fresh pack of Pokémon cards and taking a wiff is one way I can get myself to feel better.

Japanese cards are higher quality than English cards, which are higher quality than Korean cards. (Someone at my league happens to collect some foreign cards so these are the three regions I've seen in person) The packs in Japan have fewer cards in them to make up the difference in quality I believe.

I don't really know the difference other than the quality of the inputs to make up for that.

Back