Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: February 2017 - Alola Pokedex - Results Are Up!

RaiZhuW-The-Real

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry, not sure if you can post images on my profile here, I went with Primarina! I just finished the fullart of this card and posted it to my DeviantArt page today (Link to my full art for this card: http://raizhuw-the-real.deviantart.com/art/Card-Art-Primarina-Dancing-665110551).

I wanted to take advantage of Primarina's Burn healing ability, but not just reuse one her signature skills!

The strategy of this card is to burn your opponent with scald and do a chunk of damage, your opponent does their turn and gets damaged by the previous burn, then on your next turn you use "Dazzling Aria" to heal your opponents burn, and increase the attack of your next Scald, then its just rinse and repeat til ownage! I hope you guys like my entry!

Primarina EX 09-99.png

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
(Basic) Delibird GX 120 HP [C]
Pok%C3%A9monsprite_225_XY.gif

Ability: Keep on giving
If this card recieves damage in any way, you may draw a card. If it´s been knocked out you may draw 2.

[C][C] Mischievous Gift
You may allow your opponent to draw up to 3 cards. For every card you allow him to draw in this way, this attack does 40 damage. If there is water energy attached to this Pokemon, do 60 each

[C] Secret Santa GX
Your opponent reveals his hand cards. You may choose a card you find there and switch it with one of his remaining price cards. Don't reveal them if they aren't already. Shuffle the price cards after.

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat cost: none

So i wanted to try something that is high risk and possibly high reward. You can do quite a lot of damage with little damage. But you also give your opponent draw and Delibird comes with only 120 HP and gives 2 price cards when knocked out. On the possitive side. You get a free lucky helmet for your self and the GX can mess with your opponent as that you could possibly price an important card of his.
Also it just fits with Delibirds nature of giving gifts and beeing Santa

minecraft7er

confused
I am not in the contest but I wanted to give my idea out there
Alolan Eggsegutor GX hp 230 [G]
[Stage 1]Evolves from eggsecute

[ability] Barrage
As long as Alolan Eggsegutor is your active Pokemon you may discard [G][G] if you do
whenever you flip a coin for an attack than you may invert your results.

[G][G] Wooden Mallet 20x
Flip a coin for every energy attached to all Pokemon in play
This attack does 20 damage Times the number of heads.

[G][G][G] Synthesis GX
You may search you deck or discard for any combination of 5 Pokemon and Energy
Place any number of basic Pokemon you would like on your bench
and then you may attach as many of the energy you have in your hand to your Pokemon in any way you like.
(You may only play 1 GX attack per game)

Weakness [R] x2 Resistance Retreat[C][C][C]

this Pokemon is native to the Kanto region but when it was brought to alola it grew its neck out to absorb more light.

[Pokemon GX rule, if a Pokemon GX is knocked out your opponent takes 2 prizes instead of one.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
And my entry is now complete! :D First full CaC all by myself. :p

nQzefE8.png

I have absolutely no idea how playable or useful this card will be, because it's entire creation is based solely on the musing about Mimikyu emulating Pikachu.

I really wanted to make an Electric-type Mimikyu card, because it's fitting in a silly kind of way. After all, mimicking Pikachu is what Mimikyu does. I could have gone the easy route and just made it a Delta Species or so, but that didn't feel right. So, I was thinking about how a Pokémon without any source of electricity could go about trying to emulate the effects of being an Electric-type Pokémon...

After some musing, and some googling, I ended up going with the idea of a handheld Tesla coin gun, something that really exists, by the way. The image is the picture is me very poorly trying to draw one such gun that I saw in a YouTube video. I like to think that Mimikyu is hiding the power source somewhere inside its disguise.

From there, we have the effects. Mimikyu uses the Tesla Gun itself to provide the Lightning energy it needs to attack, hence the first attack. The second attack was originally going to be called "I'm not Pikachu, I'm Mimikyu!" based on the translation of this awesome and also totally official song, but sadly it was too long, and it looked really awkward when condensed enough to fit. Instead, I went with the shorter "Surprise, I'm Mimikyu!", which has the same kind of meaning, if not the direct reference. The idea is the same regardless; Mimikyu is outing itself and discarding it's fake electric identity to unleash an attack, which he does by literally discarding energy cards.

Anyway, I liked the way the attacks and the artwork idea all fit together. That's the kind of thing that I'm better at making competitively good cards, anyway. :p

The era is meant as XY-era, and it was XY cards that I used for reference in the wording. The blank is slightly-modified to give it the full, HGSS-style holo border to give it a bit of extra pizazz. Since erasing the yellow border meant erasing the copyright info for the blank creator, I manually added a new copyright over it, emulating the original copyright line as much as possible.

Paul Snoops's blank, Asche's holos, my own artwork.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. I don't expect to win (or even do well if I'm being honest with myself), but I had a lot of fun both drawing the art and making the card, and I'm so glad that this contest is back up and running. :)

Little Cherrim

Political Obsessor
And my entry is now complete! :D First full CaC all by myself. :p

nQzefE8.png

I have absolutely no idea how playable or useful this card will be, because it's entire creation is based solely on the musing about Mimikyu emulating Pikachu.

I really wanted to make an Electric-type Mimikyu card, because it's fitting in a silly kind of way. After all, mimicking Pikachu is what Mimikyu does. I could have gone the easy route and just made it a Delta Species or so, but that didn't feel right. So, I was thinking about how a Pokémon without any source of electricity could go about trying to emulate the effects of being an Electric-type Pokémon...

After some musing, and some googling, I ended up going with the idea of a handheld Tesla coin gun, something that really exists, by the way. The image is the picture is me very poorly trying to draw one such gun that I saw in a YouTube video. I like to think that Mimikyu is hiding the power source somewhere inside its disguise.

From there, we have the effects. Mimikyu uses the Tesla Gun itself to provide the Lightning energy it needs to attack, hence the first attack. The second attack was originally going to be called "I'm not Pikachu, I'm Mimikyu!" based on the translation of this awesome and also totally official song, but sadly it was too long, and it looked really awkward when condensed enough to fit. Instead, I went with the shorter "Surprise, I'm Mimikyu!", which has the same kind of meaning, if not the direct reference. The idea is the same regardless; Mimikyu is outing itself and discarding it's fake electric identity to unleash an attack, which he does by literally discarding energy cards.

Anyway, I liked the way the attacks and the artwork idea all fit together. That's the kind of thing that I'm better at making competitively good cards, anyway. :p

The era is meant as XY-era, and it was XY cards that I used for reference in the wording. The blank is slightly-modified to give it the full, HGSS-style holo border to give it a bit of extra pizazz. Since erasing the yellow border meant erasing the copyright info for the blank creator, I manually added a new copyright over it, emulating the original copyright line as much as possible.

Paul Snoops's blank, Asche's holos, my own artwork.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. I don't expect to win (or even do well if I'm being honest with myself), but I had a lot of fun both drawing the art and making the card, and I'm so glad that this contest is back up and running. :)
Eelektrik + Mimikyu.
I want to see that so badly.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Haunter – Psychic – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Gastly
haunter-2.gif

Shadowfell
Whenever your opponent would search their deck, they search only the top five cards of their deck instead.

[P] [C] Spooky Excavation
Discard any number of cards from your hand, then draw that many cards. Put damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokemon equal to the number of cards drawn this way.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]

Often playing a trickster, it is known for making people forget what they were looking for.
NO. 093 Gas Pokemon HT: 5’03’’ WT: 0.2 lbs.

When I started making card ideas, I made about 20 or so different effects, ranging from the completely buh-row-ken to the downright pathetic. I wanted to settle on something in the playable but not necessarily overpowered realm. In the end this is what I settled with.

I wanted to make a card to tax opponents ability to play the game, so I looked at several different effects. As both Item and Ability lock currently exist, that would be rather boring and not particularly imaginative so I looked at restriction specific cards, such as not being able to play supporters, or item cards, or basic Pokemon. However these either existed or were kinda meh. I wound up settling on searching because to my knowledge I haven’t found anything that does that, and it isn’t completely broken, you can still find things, it just lessens the odds of getting what you actually need. This lead to some interesting play where an opponent had to choose between going for a card they really wanted to help set up, or saving their ability to search for their next turn after knocking Haunter out, and hoping I couldn’t set up another one.

I was tossing up between 70 and 80 hit points, which in the end I went with 70 despite really wanting 80, mostly to give it a little more resilience. They both die to a high number of things, but 70 just dies to incidental damage in a few more cases, and while I don’t want this to be the kind of card that can just stick around indefinitely, I didn’t want it to just go down like it was nothing. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to justify this when every other Haunter printing has both a low retreat cost (0 or 1) and resistance to either Fighting or Normal, meaning I had to go with those. The biggest change I would make were precedent not already set would be increasing the retreat cost to [C] [C].

I also was considering making it a stage 2 rather than a stage 1, but this card rapidly loses usefulness as the game goes on, so I opted to make it the kind of card you use early to slow your opponent until you evolve into a heavier hitter, Gengar. I also liked it being a stage 1 as it makes it more splashable, opening it up to other strategies, and allowing other strategies to have a hopefully, useful support Pokemon. Finally, getting it out turn three just felt too slow in the majority of games I tested it with. I would love to be able to get it out turn one, but that just felt broken against a reasonably large number of decks, and it wound up defeating opponents by essentially forcing them to dead draw.

Following from that, I also like support Pokemon that's attacks can do something. I settled on this attack pretty much instantly as I thought it has a cool little interaction, having some use against decks where the ability isn’t super helpful, being useful early and late game, but not so back breaking as to be able to reliably KO the majority of Pokemon. It helps set up early draws which is always nice, and it can also be used for sneaky KO’s late if you have a dead/large hand. I originally had it at [P] [C] [C], but it felt too slow without a Double Colourless Energy, which I honestly think the game was too reliant on when I still played. I don’t know if they still are or not, but I didn’t really have time to learn the whole metagame, and I found myself just looking at individual cards to take notes, and play tested against a slightly older deck (last rotation) that isn’t really representative of the current format as far as I know. As such some of the reasons I did things the way I did may not quite apply to current rotation, but I figured that would be fine.

Finally, the elephant, why is the ability not symmetrical? Because I didn’t want it to be. I am a huge fan of making both players be forced to make interesting choices, but this ability just didn’t feel right in doing so. I seriously couldn’t justify running it if I had to hamper my own deck that heavily like that, so I opted not to do so.
Why not only when active? Personally I dislike abilities that do that, so it was a personal choice. Maybe I should have for balancing reasons, but I don’t really like how those sorts of things play, I think it leads to uninteresting play where things are too heavily decided by coin flip in the case of catchers, or via Lysandre which is somewhat more interesting. In the end I think the game-play is more interesting by forcing this thing to be knocked out to remove it. Not doing so limits the splash-ability of the card.

Huge thanks to my friend Widow for helping me out with play testing the card, I would have liked to try more decks or spent more time with it, but in the end I am reasonably happy with how it turned out.

The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation, Haunter (all of them), Caitlin (PLB)

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
To clarify, Shadowfell is an ability, and I cannot believe I missed it. Thanks Jezi for pointing it out

/me goes and cries in a corner q.q

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
i am done with my piece :)

I already have it done I just need to figure out how to get in image on here

I'm not sure what you tried to link, but it's certainly not a properly uploaded image. Perhaps use imgur to upload your image and try again?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Here's a warning to all those who have not yet submited that there is about 19 hours left to submit your entry, at the time of writing this post. Remember, the deadline is February 26th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST [countdown]. If you've already submitted but I missed it, please let me know!

@Blui
@Huderon of Canossa
@KryptixDesigns
@Legendz/Rios
@quakingpunch73

@minecraft7er - You will need to repost your entry as the original image did not work. I'd suggest you follow Athena's advice above.
@ThatOneHoundoomLover - I've seen your post above, but you will still need to get your entry submitted before the deadline. Don't worry; we've had entries that have been posted in the final minutes. ;)

Last edited:

Huderon of Canossa

Deranged Tinkerer
Turns out I went on holiday so I did not get nearly as much time as I had hoped to do this, so unfortunately I had to cut corners and use Sugimori official art as my illus. That and a horrible mishmash of filters. Ugh. But hey, at least its here!

Nihilcard_zps8zbqh08d.png

I’ve intentionally made the effects include more player interaction to give this card an invasive feeling and really drive home the parasitic nature of Nihilego. Well… at least I’m hoping it comes off that way at any rate.

And I hope the Ability isn’t too confusing, I had it worded like that because both players can actually use it, but only during their turn. Sort of a double-edged sword - I always pictured Ultra Beasts in general to be unwieldy of sorts.

I would say more, honest, I'm just lacking sleep at the moment :(