News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

Tepig4321

The Very Best Like No One Ever Was
OMG! For the first time since Base Set there are no Basic Energy cards in the first main set. How;'s that even possible:
Base Set: Yes
Neo Genesis: Yes
Expedition: Yes
Ruby & Sapphire: yes
HGSS: Yes
DP: Yes
BW: Yes
XY: Yes
SM: No
im gonna go ahead and guess its because that in the previous set there were a set of energies

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
Bewears ability name better be the same when it releases in english >.> otherwise i'm gonna ganondorf up tilt somoene

Rayquaza has some potential. maybe when the meta becomes slower and stage 1/2 based?

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
We don't know for sure that there's no energy, it could be not numbered

Unnumbered cards from sets doesn't happen outside Japan... Either they have a number, or they don't have a set at all (such as the energy included in pre-Generations Elite Trainer Boxes).

I mean, it's possible that there's secret rare energy, which also wouldn't be listed, but that's never happened either. (Even the Call of Legends energy was at the end of the numbered set and not beyond it.) (Looking at PTCGO, this isn't actually a possibility.)

Realistically, we're well beyond the point where they need to include generic basic energy in booster packs. It's an inefficient way to collect it, and doesn't really add anything. (Hence why most of the time when this is done, it's got a unique art. XY being the one exception beyond Gen 2, where they reprinted energy in practically every other set. Technically Call of Legends' wasn't unique, either, but it also wasn't the stock energy. ;p) They have things like the Elite Trainer Boxes and deck tins these days for people to get energy if they can't get it from their local league anyway, and they've specifically ruled that basic energy is never out of rotation, so it doesn't "need" to be included in sets like it may have in the past.

Last edited:

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Unnumbered cards from sets doesn't happen outside Japan... Either they have a number, or they don't have a set at all (such as the energy included in pre-Generations Elite Trainer Boxes).

I mean, it's possible that there's secret rare energy, which also wouldn't be listed, but that's never happened either. (Even the Call of Legends energy was at the end of the numbered set and not beyond it.) (Looking at PTCGO, this isn't actually a possibility.)

Realistically, we're well beyond the point where they need to include generic basic energy in booster packs. It's an inefficient way to collect it, and doesn't really add anything. (Hence why most of the time when this is done, it's got a unique art. XY being the one exception beyond Gen 2, where they reprinted energy in practically every other set. Technically Call of Legends' wasn't unique, either, but it also wasn't the stock energy. ;p) They have things like the Elite Trainer Boxes and deck tins these days for people to get energy if they can't get it from their local league anyway, and they've specifically ruled that basic energy is never out of rotation, so it doesn't "need" to be included in sets like it may have in the past.
SR Energy are already confirmed....

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
SR Energy are already confirmed....

Hmm, so OK, apparently TWO are a thing in the Japanese sets (I missed that)... We've seen no evidence of any besides Metal and Psychic, however. And there is no confirmation that they're in the English sets anyway, though it's likely. (That would be a TON of Secret Rares, though... 14 Secrets seems disgusting.)

Either way, though, that was a very unimportant part of my point. ;p This set won't have a set of Basic Energy (and really, even if it did have a set of Secret Rare energy beyond those 2, I still wouldn't consider it in the same vein a set like Power Keepers or Call of Legends included them, much less a set like HGSS or XY.)

jessalakasam

Hmm, so OK, apparently TWO are a thing in the Japanese sets (I missed that)... We've seen no evidence of any besides Metal and Psychic, however. And there is no confirmation that they're in the English sets anyway, though it's likely. (That would be a TON of Secret Rares, though... 14 Secrets seems disgusting.)

Either way, though, that was a very unimportant part of my point. ;p This set won't have a set of Basic Energy (and really, even if it did have a set of Secret Rare energy beyond those 2, I still wouldn't consider it in the same vein a set like Power Keepers or Call of Legends included them, much less a set like HGSS or XY.)
I don't doubt they won't be part of the set because 1. all base sets have included basic energy 2. the ETBs will have energies so they have to be in Su/mo Base

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I don't doubt they won't be part of the set because 1. all base sets have included basic energy 2. the ETBs will have energies so they have to be in Su/mo Base

Even if what you said made sense (keep in mind basic Fairy energy debuted before XY came out, they certainly don't need to include them in packs), secret rare energy would have no bearing on the energy included in Elite Trainer Boxes or Theme Decks. I fully expect the Sun/Moon ETBs to use the art we've been using since BW, just with an updated Sun/Moon card template, it's not going to be based on the Secret Rare Psychic/Metal Energy. There's a reason why most energy included in products doesn't have a set symbol... I think you're getting too carried away with the unique cases presented by Generations and Evolutions. The only reason they included energy from their respective sets in their Elite Trainer Boxes (and Evolutions' Theme Decks I believe) is because they were unique. It's not like even the XY theme decks included XY energy, they included unlabeled energy, as has every single Elite Trainer Box, and every Theme Deck since like... Ruby/Sapphire I think. They don't need to be in the set at all.

That being said, as it happens, there does happen to be a new (rather generic) art for the energy it would seem (looking at the Rockruff deck and Decidueye/etc, decks), so maybe those'll be what we get in the Sun/Moon Elite Trainer Boxes. Either way, there is ZERO chance they are in this set. (Incidentally, it's different from the Secret Rare art, which is unsurprising.)

Chika

Golden Hearted
Yes!! I'm so happy with this change. I hated the old "his or her" wording; it was clunky and less inclusive of nonbinary genders. Pokemon is a game that's supposed to be inclusive, right? I was waiting for this change so I'm glad to see it. Well done TPCi, for all of my gripes with you, I'll pat your back for this one here.

(Next thing we need to see go though: these hideous yellow borders. Geez. They even look especially ugly with the new SM template.)

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
It make sense because of my statistics, 81% players are male. The cards were adorable in English. Can someone tell me when is the pre-release? I'll watch them in YouTube to see the actual English cards.

jessalakasam

It make sense because of my statistics, 81% players are male. The cards were adorable in English. Can someone tell me when is the pre-release? I'll watch them in YouTube to see the actual English cards.
mine is the 28th but there are also Prereleases on the 21 and 22nd

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod

Mine is on the 28th, but I think there are some on 21st and 22nd.

Nyora

A Cat
Who wants to bet that Oranguru will become pricey? Maybe not now bu when it's SM on it might be.

jessalakasam

I don't get credit for showing you those :,( But yeah I need Shiinotics for my Tsareena deck, sadly the Tsareena and Vikavolt promos weren't for there prerelease, kind of shocked