News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

Seeing another secret rare ultra ball actually kinds ticks me off truth be told as I never got the first ultra ball secret rare and it's so frickin expensive, so this probably another card I'll NEVER own.

I love full art cards. I am really excited to get full art Trainer cards. Hoping to get my hands on four of these!

Lurantis-GX feels like one of the best cards in set to me. Maybe put it with M Venusaur-EX?

The alternate version of the Umbreon GX, Espeon GX ..ect resemble Ghost rares (looks like a mirror from certain angles) from YuGiOh!, I like this ~

Example of a Ghost rare:
303430.jpg

Oh, Lillie's FA is so good! And Ilima's...

I like Repel, but I'm not sure it's too viable; Oranguru on the other hand seems like it could see a bit of play. Alolan Muk reminds me of Garbodor but much less viable. Do you think Espeon-GX could see play?

Wowowow, Gold energy too?... I need to start saving up money right now xD this set is too blinged out.

OMG! For the first time since Base Set there are no Basic Energy cards in the first main set. How;'s that even possible:
Base Set: Yes
Neo Genesis: Yes
Expedition: Yes
Ruby & Sapphire: yes
HGSS: Yes
DP: Yes
BW: Yes
XY: Yes
SM: No

How do you know? Fat chance we're still getting them.

Okay quick rant here: why do they insist on so many secret rares? It's already ridiculous with all of the full arts, which also apparently are receiving multiple versions with these HR things. I swear it's getting so difficult to keep on. Part of me is starting to question staying with this. I hope time proves me wrong.

That I guess SR Gumshoos-GX is sooo cool looking. And also with new SR Energy decks just got a WHOLE lot more expensive. Anyone besides me gonna use Oranguru? Also that FA Skull Grunt is AMAZING! I need it! :3

This set is arguably the most influential set on the metagame since the release of Roaring Skies, maybe even since the release of Noble Victories and Next Destinies! This set has absolutely nothing to disappoint me. I only have two qualms at all against this set; the first is the lack of a Professor Juniper / Sycamore reprint. The card has been a 4-of staple in nearly all offensive-based decks (from my experience, decks like Wailord didn't really run 4 sycamores), and I really hope it'll get a reprint soon. Its so simple, and it speeds up the game, and although there's decent replacements, I still feel that Juniper / Sycamore is simply the best. Lastly, we really should get dual types again. It would be an atrocity if TPCI brought such a cool mechanic back for just one set, and then dropped it. Especially with these new Alolan forms, this would seem like a perfect opportunity to utilize the dual type mechanic, I sure hope TPCI takes the opportunity to do so (or if not on Alolan pokemon, then on others).

Now, onto the good things! Firstly, I could see some interesting gimmicky decks with Tsareena, Forest of Giant Plants, and devolution spray. We got a Crobat reprint, and although its nowhere close to being as good as Phantom Forces Crobat, however, it makes Crobat BREAK at the very least a usable card. Toxapex is such an interesting card, especially with Virbank City Gym in expanded, where switching via another card is slightly less common, due to the presence of float stone Keldeo EX. I don’t see this being super viable, but it sounds fun to say the least. Solgaleo GX has so much potential, that I could write multiple paragraphs about the card on its own. Although, to make this nice and quick, Solgaleo EX is both a card with never before seen levels of energy acceleration, as well as having the capabilities to deal insane amounts of damage. Other than being a stage two, you can’t really go wrong with this! Gumshoosh GX sounds like an awesome card, certainly one I’ll be trying out, due to having an awesome ability and more awesome attacks, arguably currently having the best GX attack yet. I dont know how to feel about another crushing hammer reprint, but yay i guess? However, I am glad to see EXP Share and DCE reprints. Professor Kukui honestly seems like a slightly worse version of Giovani’s scheme. It honestly might come down to personal preference though, concerning whether I’d use Professor Kukui or Giovinni’s Scheme (that is if I use either). Full art items = AWESOME!!! Don’t need to say much more about that, they’re simply awesome.

Lurantis GX certainly seems like a good card, and likely will be seeing some competitive play. Vikavolt seems like yet another card, with some awesome energy acceleration. Alolan Muk… Garbodor might see some competition. These cards are quite similar, although let me break down the slight differences quickly. Garbodor has just 100 HP, and requires a tool to use its ability, which in addition to shutting down basic pokemon’s abilities, shuts down evolution pokemon’s abilities as well. Alolan Muk has 120 HP, and shuts down the abilities of ALL basic pokemon (whether they’re in a players hand, discard pile, or in play), and it does not require a tool either, however, it cannot affect evolution pokemon at all. Both cards have pros and cons, however, it will likely depend on a deck’s weaknesses when a player chooses between Garbodor and Alolan Muk. (One more thing, is that “Garbotoxin” is a much cooler name). Lunala GX, might see some play, however, it has flaws, as its is stage two, and has awesome GX attack, but a somewhat lackluster non-GX attack. Tauros GX is awesome, and with three amazing attacks which only require a DCE, this might likely be the go-to GX card for most decks. Ultimatley, in some decks, theres no reason to pass the opportunity to use three great attacks which only need a DCE. In particular, I might be using this card in my Darkrai Giratina, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Rayquaza builds. Oranguru is nowhere near as good as shaymin, however, as a basic pokemon, I feel that this could be a better alternative for the poor man’s shaymin. On the other hand, three cards is somewhat lackluster. A reprint of both Switch and Energy Retrieval is always good to see, however, is it really necessary… we literally got reprints of them in evolutions. Nice to see Bianca back, and with a slight buff as well, same thing with Full Heal getting a buff, not that it was good or even used or anything, but now its a bit more interesting at least. Also, the rare candy art is amazing, and I’m very glad to see it reprinted.

A few quick closing thoughts: My only problems with this set is the lack of a Juniper / Sycamore reprint, the lack of dual types, and the lack of a tool-removal item card. Otherwise, this is certainly an awesome set, and without a doubt my favorite set since Boundaries Crossed. In short, this set is nothing less of being my second favorite set of all time, and will certainly have a large impact on the meta, and the game as we know it today.

EDIT: since the original time of me posting this, a few more cards have been added which I have some thoughts about (just 3 pokemon and some trainers). Firstly, Skarmory. The ability to discard ALL special energy cards in play at once is something we've never seen before (to my recollection), but I don't think it'll see too much play. Also, although Poliwrath isn't all that good, having another water type frog with an attack named "quaking punch" is cool, especially since it doesn't lock out items. Lastly, Oranguru in-game counterpart Passimian, is also a very very cool card. Although it can't be splashed in decks on its own, I'm actually looking forward to trying a deck, possibly in expanded rather than standard (for laserbank), with just 4 Passimian and some Shaymin. With 4 copies of max elixir, this could allow you to attach a strong energy and a fighting energy in one turn, with 4 Passimian on the bench, Passimian's attack will do 130 damage, +20 damage for strong energy bumps it up to 150, +30 for laser + virbank = the MAGIC 180. Of course, there is always cards like Giovanni's Scheme and Regirock EX, and in expanded, there's an even greater arsenal of cards like Muscle Band, Focus Sash, Fighting Stadium, Korrina, Lucario EX (as a secondary attacker and draw support), and as previously mentioned, Laserbank. It's hard to say whether Passimian can work well and consistently, as there is always the danger of prizing a Passimian, however, I feel that it'll have the ability to get consistent 2hko's, and the occasional 1-shot as well, so I will without a doubt be giving the deck a try. Lastly, I am glad to see a Pokemon Catcher reprint (and great ball / pokeball i guess... yay?). Two more things I would've liked to see in this set (and hopefully the next set), are VS Seeker (although we don't absolutely need a reprint, we'e survived in the past without this card, and we can surely do it again), and Double Dragon Energy (a card absolutely essential for any Dragon type). Hopefully, TPCI will do these two cards justice.

Last edited:
SECRET RARE ENERGY?! Goodbye bank balance.

There are so many interesting abilities here, hopefully there's something printed soon to prevent Garbodor (and now Alolan Muk) ruining all the fun.

Despite all gorgeous cards, and interesting new mechanics and whatnot, the secret rare prints are actually starting to insult me a little bit. I mean, doing half art and full art EXs was nice, and having the "set mascot" as a secret rare recently was quite nice, with the golden Megas before that being kinda meh.

But given that GXs are already full art, to then have three prints of each within the same set? That's really just bordering on ridiculous in my eyes. I mean, yeah, they're pretty obviously, but c'mon. Stepping up secret rare items to full art is a nice touch, but again, why so many? I suppose it's just the same problem as there being a ludicrous amount of XY promo cards.

I don't really get what my point is here, but I feel the inclination to moan about the whole printing cards for the sake of printing cards (read: making money). That also has an implication on actually obtaining these cards as well, as if there's only so many per a given number of packs, factoring in the massive pull of possible cards drives up the rarity of each individual one... but in saying that, if they're all as "common" as they were in Evolutions then everything will be awesome.

Also, I quite like the new card layout despite being originally skeptical, it appeals to my tidy nature with its little boxes and stuff, but yeah... I'll be quiet now.

PS, There is also a sad lack of dual types as noted by AuraStormLucario, I'M SO CONFLICTED.

WOW, this set looks sick. Love That Espeon GX, heck, all the gx's looking amazing. cool holo for the SR

I just went blargharghargh on my keyboard, too many secret rares that I needsss.

Last edited:
Three more things. Firstly, I am kinda sad to see no Double Dragon Energy reprint. It's the card that makes dragon types viable, and without it, it deals a big big blow to dragons. Secondly, SR Energies are pushing it for me. I would be fine with SR Special Energy, that'd be awesome, but SR Regular energy seems a bit over the top. I'm not disaproving though, they look awesome, and if they're being printed, then thats awesome too. Lastly, at the time of me posting this, there is more than 1050 guests looking at this thread (or presumably, any article leading to this thread). That is insane.

Back