News Giratina 'Pokemon Card Gym' Promo!

This is the nail in the coffin for Greninja. Glad to see these kind of counters again. What puzzles me is the design of this card. We are reaching the end of the XY block and when most of the breaks rotate, this card will still be around. I'm sure the next format for standard will be Evolutions-On. Thing are confusing.

Such a beautiful card, as usual, for Giratina. But I have a bad feeling that, with the XY era coming to an end, this one won't make it to the west.

Finally a hard counter to Trevenant (Greninja gets it too, but oh well).
I'm guessing we're getting this around January, before SM or maybe blister packs for SM.

My favorite pokemon Giratina glad to see we finally get something playable
Hope to see it in the moon and sun, most likely going to be a promo

fc_550x550_white.jpg

Honestly this card isn't great. It counters breaks, cool, but other than greninja and trevenant, which both are better off in expanded, there is literally no good break decks out there.

RIP Greninja, I loved to use your deck, I smashed a lot of other decks. Now rest in peace, see you in heaven <3

This is the nail in the coffin for Greninja. Glad to see these kind of counters again. What puzzles me is the design of this card. We are reaching the end of the XY block and when most of the breaks rotate, this card will still be around. I'm sure the next format for standard will be Evolutions-On. Thing are confusing.
Why do we think the next rotation will be Evolutions-On?... That will mean there would only be like three to four sets in standard when September next year comes around. It's much more likely that the next format will be Breakthrough or Breakpoint-On (but its so early that even thinking about it is a waste of time). This card probably wouldn't see a huge amount of play (if its released in English in the next six months) but at this point in time I reckon there would still be a few relevant Breaks around next format... I could be wrong

Wait...look at the left side of the card. Either it's just a background of a slim view of another card. The red eye reminds me of dialga...perhaps a promo dialga?

Why do we think the next rotation will be Evolutions-On?... That will mean there would only be like three to four sets in standard when September next year comes around. It's much more likely that the next format will be Breakthrough or Breakpoint-On (but its so early that even thinking about it is a waste of time). This card probably wouldn't see a huge amount of play (if its released in English in the next six months) but at this point in time I reckon there would still be a few relevant Breaks around next format... I could be wrong

That is true but if they do rotate, I think they would go as far as to remove Greninja BREAK from the format. I also say Evolutions because it is our reprint set before Sun and Moon base and is the least offending of balance since none of the cards are unbalanced. Its a good starting point for the SM format, though they could do away with EX Pokemon in general. It also removes a lot of unintended card interaction with Lunala GX taking two easy prize cards on Pokemon EX.

With a format shift in mine and this card being at the tail-end of the XY promos, this card will have no use n such a format, considering this card was designed to stop 2 cards, one of which is in standard.

So no one remember's Silent Lab? No one at all? Yeah Giratina hurts Greninja BREAK but you have answers to deal with it alongside slugging down Shaymin, Hoopa and even Dragonite EX. You have more answers for this Giratina in Standard then Garbador. If this does become a threat for Greninja the deck can adapt.

Trevenant doesn't need it's BREAK to have it's ability going so if it has to it only goes to the stage one. It does hure Yanmega's future in Standard if a tool discard item/supporter does come out at some point.

The attack on Giratina is an old one but would make for a soft but mean Max Elixir/Delinquent deck.

So no one remember's Silent Lab? No one at all? Yeah Giratina hurts Greninja BREAK but you have answers to deal with it alongside slugging down Shaymin, Hoopa and even Dragonite EX. You have more answers for this Giratina in Standard then Garbador. If this does become a threat for Greninja the deck can adapt.

Trevenant doesn't need it's BREAK to have it's ability going so if it has to it only goes to the stage one. It does hure Yanmega's future in Standard if a tool discard item/supporter does come out at some point.

The attack on Giratina is an old one but would make for a soft but mean Max Elixir/Delinquent deck.

As is right now though Greninja kind of needs faded town to be able to deal proper numbers to MM2 in order to even have a chance in standard [considering that like 35-50% of decks in Orlando were MM2, from bottom tables to the top]. The few ninja decks that survived to day 2 in Orlando all played town and if ninja is forced to play silent lab it really weakens the deck compared to the current meta

While the purpose of Giratina's Ability is pretty blatant, I don't see why everyone thinks this is the end of Greninja and Trevenant (and Yanmega). This reminds me of that Marowak card that everyone said was the answer to Seismitoad. Did that see any play? (Though, to be fair, Giratina is a Basic and Marowak is a Stage 1.) And there's also the matter of making room for at least one Giratina in your deck, just to tech for a specific deck that maybe you'll have a match against, which can be countered by a Silent Lab. (If one can make room for a Giratina, a Greninja player can make room for a Silent Lab.)

Who knows. Maybe it'll see play (if it's released outside of Japan). I just don't think it's amazing.

I love the artwork on this card.

The Ability is great and everything but the attack is pretty decent too (especially after a Delinquent/N/etc.).

Back