News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

It is strange we get Darkness, Fairy and Metal Energy in Base Set: Evolutions but would get any Pokemon of that type. Only Clefairy maybe.

Other weird choices:
1. No starter Evolutions besides Charizard
2. No Gengar, No Hypno: ok, they weren't in base set, but why is this set called Evolutions when you can't evolve most of the Pokemon?
3. Knock-out Electrode makes him rather useless.
4. This is a base set reprint set, so why are they reprinting XY and FLASHFIRE EX cards?
5. They skipped so many key cards... Blastoise, Alakazam, Venusaur...
6. Mew! Good choice, but no base set. Can think of many older cards I want. So why break the rule for mew and not for Gengar, Hypno, Scyther etc

A little annoyed that the entire set is Gen 1, but that's to be expected.

A little more annoyed that most of this set is borderline unplayable.

Even more annoyed by the Charizard line getting 7 cards, plus spirit link, and the Promo charizard, And Venusaur getting nothing, despite the fact that Energy Trans + Forest would be a legitimate and fun combo. But NO. We need more Charizard, right? The fans can't get enough Charizard! Oh, I know! The next set should just be 100 Charizard cards, that's exactly what everyone would want, right? No other Pokémon matters but Charizard! They should just release a Pokémon Charizard edition and call it a day! Charizard is all that matters, so let's ignore the other 720 Pokémon, right?

Not even going to get onto his inclusion into Smash Bros, but that's another can of worms.

Couldn't agree with this more. On the bright side, M Venusaur-EX looks to be an extremely solid deck potentially, so Chairzard has the most value... and 7 prints, Venusaur has the most competitive card, and Blastoise, was there. Hopefully we get the Venusaur and Blastoise in some way, maybe the Legendary Birds Battle Deck or some form.

@Water Pokémon Master
The first few cards have the wrong numbers. Weedle, Kakuna and Beedrill are numbers 5, 6 & 7 respectively, followed by Tangela (#8) and then the Charmander line (#9, #10 & #11), with Charizard-EX being #12. Everything else is okay.

-------------

As for the missing spots... It is now clear that, unfortunaly, this is a near copy/paste of Base Set. As such:
#3 Caterpie
#4 Metapod

Yup. Either one of these 2 scenarios. Since the original Venusaur line is not included, I think the first scenario is the most likely one.

Same here.

Yeah, It could be either Jynx or Koffing. I'd prefer Jynx but since it suffers a bit from the same problem as Kadabra, they might put Koffing in there instead.

Same here.

Okay, no. This is where people are creating problems that don't exist. There's already a Pidgeot-EX/Mega Pidgeot-EX in the set, why would they put the incomplete regular Pidgey/Pidgeotto line in there? (And before someone mentions the Charizard line, that is the exception, not the rule).
#62 can be Hitmonchan, the last Fighting card by National dex order, so it comes after Onix which is #61.
After Rattata (#66) is obviously Raticate, so #67 is set. I mean, why wouldn't they include Raticate?
Between Raticate and Doduo goes Farfetch'd.
So, what about Clefairy? Clefairy goes for spot #63 as a Fairy-type card. It fits perfectly. Why are people in such disbelief that Clefairy won't be a Fairy-type card? I think it'll be really dumb of PCL if they keep Clefairy as a Colorless-type.
Yeah, I forgot about Hitmonchan, if that scenario plays out we would maybe get Aerodactyl promo with Old Amber Aerodactyl? But you are right about the Fairy Clefairy, that could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
So happy to see Electrode returning... and then they nerf the ability by making it work only with [L] type. :( Bummer!

A little annoyed that the entire set is Gen 1, but that's to be expected.

A little more annoyed that most of this set is borderline unplayable.

Even more annoyed by the Charizard line getting 7 cards, plus spirit link, and the Promo charizard, And Venusaur getting nothing, despite the fact that Energy Trans + Forest would be a legitimate and fun combo. But NO. We need more Charizard, right? The fans can't get enough Charizard! Oh, I know! The next set should just be 100 Charizard cards, that's exactly what everyone would want, right? No other Pokémon matters but Charizard! They should just release a Pokémon Charizard edition and call it a day! Charizard is all that matters, so let's ignore the other 720 Pokémon, right?

Not even going to get onto his inclusion into Smash Bros, but that's another can of worms.

Be careful. You don't want to get banned for Charizard hate.

Hey! They don't ignore the other 720 Pokemon! I mean, there were ten Mewtwo ultra rares in Breakthrough and now we get two more in Evolutions.

They ignore the other 719.*

So i might actually be able to use my Mega Venusaur EX. Sweet. (I know it's not uber strong, but i've always wanted to use it without having to end my turn).
A bit off topic, but which is better: frog hop or poison powder venusaur?
Still no sign of (M) Pinsir-EX, which is a shame. It's my favorite mega in the game and it breaks my heart that i can't play it in TCG :/ (seriously we could take away like one or two pikachu and charizard and have room for it >.>)

Last edited:
I think the only cards I'm looking forward to are Pidgeot and M Pidgeot. Not sure if the set is worth it though.

I do wish the Break's were ex's instead. Ninetales, Starmie and Nidoking Textured Full Art > Breaks.

Another weird choice: they made no effort to create an old school template for the break cards. Why?

I also strongly believe that Sun and Moon will have a Jungle kind of expansion set. It is very junglely and with Alolan Exeggcutor and the hint on the Japanese Jungle booster box, I think it might happen. And that would be thé place for M Pinsir Ex

Think we'll see secret rare 108/106 Mega charizard? I pulled one from a flashfire blister and have always wanted to use it :) but it actually looks like itll probably be the 50 damage to self mega zard, but it all really depends. The origins movie had the X version of zard, so it might be that one??? Anyone else have a guess?

Think we'll see secret rare 108/106 Mega charizard? I pulled one from a flashfire blister and have always wanted to use it :) but it actually looks like itll probably be the 50 damage to self mega zard, but it all really depends. The origins movie had the X version of zard, so it might be that one??? Anyone else have a guess?

I would love the SR to be Pidgeot EX. Lets go ALL out here. OR since its 2 cards, they could throw us ALL for a loop and make the SR, Pinsir EX and m Pinsir EX, which I would be in FULL support of.

I would love the SR to be Pidgeot EX. Lets go ALL out here. OR since its 2 cards, they could throw us ALL for a loop and make the SR, Pinsir EX and m Pinsir EX, which I would be in FULL support of.
The issue I have with making other pokemon in secret rare is that price takes a huge spike, like look at mega zards from flashfire I can sell my SR for 150$, imagine a competitive deck that has to run that pokemon, like even the regular rare costs 70$ CAD of course. That would make pinsir expensive af, and they would also have to make it amazing so that it felt like it had a place in the set. I think were going to see Mega Charizard X as the regular mega, and then SR Mega Zard Y, and then SR Pidgeot EX, and who knows maybe it goes past 111 like in the BW sets where it had 6 SR's

My Evaluations:
Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard -EXs and Spirit Link - Wow! This is gonna changer the game, because of the presence of Spirit Links, they're too OP especially on Crimson Dive Charizard which is probably be in that set.
Machamp BREAK - Definitely a BREAKThrough in this XY- Evolutions. A Future OHKO Machine partnering w/ FUF/GEN Machamp.
Nidoking BREAK - Pretty legit.
Ninetales BREAK - Powerful one, Volcanion has someone benifit on its steamer.
Starmie BREAK - Pretty good card. Can critically hit Carbink BREAK, can 2HKO Greninja BREAK.
Pidgeot/M-Pidgeot-EX - @crystal_pidgeot approve. It's attacks are passed to my standard, except to the switching part because Lysandre is still better for me.
Dugtrio - A 130 damage will be good for it. Nice!
Mewtwo-EX - If you didn't notice, that Mewtwo's attacks is a reprint of this Mewtwo.
DP5_EN_9.png

Dragonite-EX - Ok! Has a future in play.
Electrode - Playable!!! Perfect for MMY or Darkrai decks.
Misty's Determination- WHY IS SHE HERE????!!!

I wish that Muscle Band will be in the set.

The issue I have with making other pokemon in secret rare is that price takes a huge spike, like look at mega zards from flashfire I can sell my SR for 150$, imagine a competitive deck that has to run that pokemon, like even the regular rare costs 70$ CAD of course. That would make pinsir expensive af, and they would also have to make it amazing so that it felt like it had a place in the set. I think were going to see Mega Charizard X as the regular mega, and then SR Mega Zard Y, and then SR Pidgeot EX, and who knows maybe it goes past 111 like in the BW sets where it had 6 SR's

Yeah, that would happen. I remember when the SR Rayquaza happened It jumped to like 100 bucks over night and made a huge impact at Cities I believed. Maybe thats not a good idea but I do support a SR Pidgeot EX. It means my deck can be even more gold.

Oh man, time to crush some dreams, the majority of cards in this set is simply below competitive standard. I see nothing to build a deck around. I'll do evaluations of the cards that are worth mentioning.

Pidgeot EX:
Mimic doesn't come close to Damage Exchange, but at least it's only one colorless energy. Not a bad attack to start the game. It's second attack is not sufficient. 80 damage is only enough to knock out high HP Pokémon in 3 turns, and the sniping damage is also rather low.

Mega Pidgeot EX:
We have a ton of Mega Pokémon that can easily K.O. Pokémon for 3 or 4 energy, but apparently Pidgeot thinks 130 damage is a good number for three energy. The answer is no. The side effect is terrible, if only it worked like Lysandre this Mega could stand a chance.

Machamp BREAK:
Do I even need to mention that it's technically a stage 3? Even 190HP won't make up for that. Its attack is also very mediocre. Only its pre-evolution can make up for it if it has an Ability and a better attack.

Nidoking BREAK:
Getting this Pokémon on your bench is also too much of an effort just to 2 hit K.O. Pokémon. And I give this card a zero for originality.

Ninetales BREAK:
Wow another attack that does (X) damage for each energy discarded, at least it does 60 times now. But it also forces you to discard every single energy! We do have burning energy however. Just maybe, if its pre-evolution has something significant it will see play...

Starmie BREAK:

I guess this is the best anti BREAK tech? Do we even need such aggressive counters though? I don't see this being played honestly.

Dragontite EX:
I rather just K.O. a Pokémon for 4 energies. But discarding any kind of Energy attached to the opponent's active Pokémon is actually good. Its ability is also a welcome addition. It is a shame that basics get all the love once again.

Mewthree EX:

A nice addition for Mega Mewtwo Y decks. Its first attack is great when used on the first turn. Healing is cool but who has time for that? It's certainly not a bad card, it might even be on par with the other two Mewtwos.

Electrode:

You put a stage 1 in your deck so you can let your opponent take one price card just to attach energy? Yes, much better than Max Elixer.

Dugtrio:

I remeber a previous Dugtrio being used with the Eeveelutions from Anient Origins to K.O. Pokémon in one turn. I guess this one could be used the same way. However three [F] energy is a bit much.

Pokédex:
You have been outclassed sir. We have a variety of trainer cards that actually give you a card like Trainers' Mail and Acro Bike. You better stock up on those instead.

Yeah, I'm not very impressed by this set... Though I do like the nostalgia card design and the fact that we got Mega Slowbro and Pidgeot EX. I'm hoping there will be a card introduced to make evolving this pile of mediocrity a bit more easy.

@Robin Aisaga No dreams broken here. I like Bad card because that means I'll be the only one playing them so more large birb for me. Almost Night Spear is good enough and 130 with option force out is decent for three. I do wish it were two but what can you do.

Pidgeot likes FFB in a format with no tool removal and m Pidgeot like Shrine of Memories. I can see really dumb setups with Mimic. I hope they call it Mirror Move for the US.

I know they dont do a billion damage for free but this may be a step in the right direction for Evolutions On in a Sun and Moon format, assuming Pokemon GX aren't completely dumb.

Well, don't know about playability (I just collect), but in terms of artwork, these cards are awesome! And finally more then two secret rares again. I like it!

Gastly and Haunter without Gengar is weird.
Remember it's nothing different to what outing they had back in Base Set, with them having extra versions (including holofoil Haunter) released into Fossil when Gengar made it's debut. I believe it is only Electrode, Magneton, Pikachu, Raichu, Zapdos, Gastly and Haunter that had been featured more then once throughtout the release of the classic three sets respectfully.

This set should be called "basics", due to the fact they left or around half of the "evolutions."

Why would they display those cards in the 20th anniversary page if they are not going to be remade?

Back