Steam Siege Prerelease FAQ rulings

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
well prereleases start this weekend and go through next weekend so thought I'd share the ruling FAQ, be sure to check out pokemon's website to find a prerelease near you.

the most interesting ruling to me is captivating poke puff and shaymin ex type interactions.

XY: Steam Siege Expansion – FAQ

POKEMON ABILITIES:

==PLAY BALL (Foongus - XY:Steam Siege)
Q. Can I use Foongus' "Play Ball" Ability to retrieve any Ultra Ball, Great Ball, Dive Ball, Repeat Ball, etc. cards
from the Discard Pile?
A. Nope, Play Ball only works for plain old Poke Ball cards.

==GALE WINGS (Talonflame - XY:Steam Siege)
* Talonflame's "Gale Wings" Ability says if it's in your hand when you are setting up to play, you may put it face down as your Active Pokemon. If your opening hand has no Basics but you do have Talonflame, you can choose to put it out as your Active OR show you have no basics and mulligan... YOU DECIDE.

== WONDER LOCK (Klefki - XY:Steam Siege)
Q. Can I use Klefki's "Wonder Lock" Ability if Klefki doesn't have any cards attached to it?
A. Yes, you may.

POKEMON ATTACKS:

== CHARGE ORDER (Pawniard - XY:Steam Siege)
Q. Does Pawniard's "Change Order" attack only include Pawniard in play, or does it also include any Pawniard cards in the Discard Pile?
A. It only counts Pawniard in play, including itself. It does not include any in the Discard Pile.

== DESPAIR RAY (M Gardevoir-EX - XY:Steam Siege)
Q. When I discard my Benched Pokemon for M Gardevoir-EX's "Despair Ray" attack, does my opponent get to take prizes for them?
A. No, you are discarding the Benched Pokemon, not knocking them out.

== POISON UP (Croagunk - XY:Steam Siege)
Q. If I use Croagunk's "Poison Up" to attack the same Defending Pokemon on successive turns, does the amount of damage counters due to Poison increase? For example, the first time I use it the poisoned Defending Pokemon starts taking 3 more damage counters between turns, then if I use it again it starts taking 6 more damage counters (3+3), then 9 more damage counters (3+3+3), and so on?
A. Yes, each time you use Poison Up it increases the amount of poison damage by "3 more" than what the Defending Pokemon was already taking at the time of the attack.

TRAINER CARDS

== CAPTIVATING POKE PUFF (XY:Steam Siege)

Q. If I use Captivating Poke Puff and put one of my opponent's Basic Pokemon on the bench that has an Ability (like Shaymin EX's "Setup"), does the opponent get to use that Ability right away?
A. No, Captivating Poke Puff does not trigger any coming into play Abilities.

Q. Captivating Poke Puff says to put any number of Basic Pokemon you find in your opponent's hand onto their Bench. Does this allow you to put more than 5 Pokemon on the bench?
A. No, Captivating Poke Puff does not allow you to exceed the normal limits of the game. You can put any number of Basic Pokemon onto your opponent's Bench up to the maximum size of the Bench.

== NINJA BOY (XY:Steam Siege)
Q. When I use Ninja Boy to swap out a heavily damaged EX Pokemon for one that is not an EX, if there's enough damage to KO it does the opponent take one prize or two?
A. Since the swapped in Pokemon is not an EX Pokemon, your opponent takes only one prize card for the KO.

Attachments

• Steam Siege rulings FAQ.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 8

Otaku

The wise fool?
== CAPTIVATING POKE PUFF (XY:Steam Siege)
Q. If I use Captivating Poke Puff and put one of my opponent's Basic Pokemon on the bench that has an Ability (like Shaymin EX's "Setup"), does the opponent get to use that Ability right away?
A. No, Captivating Poke Puff does not trigger any coming into play Abilities.

Whoa, that means Captivating Poké Puff is effectively a Shaymin-EX (ROS) counter after all.

That's right, I can be a master of stating the obvious and of understatement at the same time, because I'm just that talented!

Mao999

Aspiring Trainer
well, knowing the pokepuff rules, i'm just thinking that playing it, forcing your opponent to play his shaymins or hoopa and then parallel city, we could see some troubles!

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone managed to crack open a few prerelease kits yet? Any idea what's in the precon decks? A bunch of Tierno and Shauna again, but would love to see which rares / "rares" they build the type themes around. Shiftree, Volcarona, Bisharp, Galvantula (the dual-types) would be great!

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone managed to crack open a few prerelease kits yet? Any idea what's in the precon decks? A bunch of Tierno and Shauna again, but would love to see which rares / "rares" they build the type themes around. Shiftree, Volcarona, Bisharp, Galvantula (the dual-types) would be great!
The promos are Clawitzer, Yanmega, Hoopa and Volcanion. Dunno what's in the decks though

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
interesting, as in one of the previous stories that debuted captivating puff, it was indicated that the owner of the Pokemon could choose what order the Pokemon were played, and whether to activate their abilities. That would have gotten weird though, as it would see active ability use on the opponents turn, which seems to me is unprecedented.

I can see a pretty fat set of base cards growing for pretty much every deck here. Hex maniac, Lysandre, ranger, poke puff, then go from there.

AnyRandomName

Aspiring Trainer
Just got a reply from a contact in TPCi regarding Klefki.

When you use Klefki's ability to turn it into a tool, you cannot attach it to a Pokemon that already has a tool. For example, if you have a Steelix-EX with a Steelix Spirit Link attached it, you CANNOT attach Klefki to that Steelix-EX because the meta-rule for Pokemon Tools is that you cannot attach a Pokemon Tool to a Pokemon that already has a Pokemon Tool attached.

Hope this helps anyone running or attending a Steam Siege Pre-Release.

Mr_Versatile123

Aspiring Trainer
Hey.... This may seem weird, but could anyone PM me and lmk if there are any events in my area? I tried to find the prerelease locator for Steam Siege but my mobile glitched it out.

Otaku

The wise fool?
interesting, as in one of the previous stories that debuted captivating puff, it was indicated that the owner of the Pokemon could choose what order the Pokemon were played, and whether to activate their abilities. That would have gotten weird though, as it would see active ability use on the opponents turn, which seems to me is unprecedented.

I can see a pretty fat set of base cards growing for pretty much every deck here. Hex maniac, Lysandre, ranger, poke puff, then go from there.

There have been a handful of effects you could trigger on your opponent's turn but they were always in response to something else, like when your opponent did X you could use Y. That does include an Item card you activated from hand though (Team Galactic's Invention G-103 Power Spray). There is also Hypno (XY: Furious fists 36/111); its first attack let you force your opponent to play a Supporter from his or her hand, though you made the decisions. So you could choose their Lysandre but bring up the Pokémon you wanted, make them use AZ to bounce the Pokémon you wanted them to bounce, etc.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Captivating Poke Puff reminds me of Erika's Perfume from the Gym set.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
yeah the change on the poke puff ruling is the big reason I posted it. unless they make an announcement this should be the ruling we use going forward.

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
yeah the change on the poke puff ruling is the big reason I posted it. unless they make an announcement this should be the ruling we use going forward.

Very interesting... What is the source of the new ruling? I can see this being very confusing at Worlds if the Japanese players come in having used the ruling that allows for abilities to be triggered.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Very interesting... What is the source of the new ruling? I can see this being very confusing at Worlds if the Japanese players come in having used the ruling that allows for abilities to be triggered.

The title of this thread is "Steam Siege Prerelease FAQ rulings" for a reason. ;) So yes, these are the rulings distributed to those running Pre-Release events for XY: Steam Seige.

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
The title of this thread is "Steam Siege Prerelease FAQ rulings" for a reason. ;) So yes, these are the rulings distributed to those running Pre-Release events for XY: Steam Seige.

Got it! Thank you, that's clear.

Still curious why the rulings are different in the US and Japan though. Has the Japanese ruling been revised since the initial one? If not, that will be bad in Worlds, and I anticipate Pokepuff will see a lot of usage.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Got it! Thank you, that's clear.

Still curious why the rulings are different in the US and Japan though. Has the Japanese ruling been revised since the initial one? If not, that will be bad in Worlds, and I anticipate Pokepuff will see a lot of usage.

As I don't read or speak Japanese* I don't know for certain, but understand that it is rare for rules we have not to be based on what Japan has. I mean, with Pre-Release rulings; this isn't a derived ruling someone got from Ask The Masters over at the PokéGym, or from TPCi staff. These are the rules that were given out for the Pre-Release so if Japan hasn't changed its official rulings yet, it most likely is on the way. That also assumes there wasn't a goof with the original rules report about Puff.

*Yes I use the romanization of a Japanese word for my screen name; that just means I'm a geek. XD

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
So Play Ball is farely useless then? Haha.

I'm pleased Talonflame does work as expected really, I think it's such a good concept for a card. And it's BREAK isn't dreadful, so yeah. It might have some ground.

Also pleased to see Captivating Poképuff doesn't trigger abilities from Pokémon they're benching either. Also pleased that you get to choose (I can't remember if we knew that before).