Steam Siege Prerelease FAQ rulings

Otaku

The wise fool?
So Play Ball is farely useless then? Haha.

Well, there isn't a worthwhile Amoongus so... but if you just meant because it can only snag Poké Ball, remember that when you can spam a "tails fails" card it can be a lot more effective than it looks.

ironcladmerc

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Well, there isn't a worthwhile Amoongus so... but if you just meant because it can only snag Poké Ball, remember that when you can spam a "tails fails" card it can be a lot more effective than it looks.

It effectively turns your Poke Balls into Dual balls.

Otaku

The wise fool?
It effectively turns your Poke Balls into Dual balls.

Not a bad way of putting it, but to give you an idea in the PTCGO-only Legacy Format has Dual Ball being about as heavily used as Level Ball is now. If you're not familiar with it, the Legacy Format includes the HS-era releases and the BW-era releases. Ultra Ball is still the main search factor (though Pokémon Collector being legal is also a factor).

With this new Foongus, you could run Poké Ball and re-use up to three of them for each Benching of Foongus. If you get "heads" both times per Poké Ball use that is two searches for any Pokémon, so better than Dual Ball (which only searches out Basics). The catch is that it is a combo that goes down if Abilities on Basic Pokémon or Items are down, if you don't get things in the right order, etc. Just running one Foongus and one Poké Ball isn't going to cut it, so we are probably looking at a minimum of a four card combo (one Foongus and three Poké Ball), plus you are giving up a Bench slot for something that looks pretty easy to OHKO. Foognus can also pull a Jirachi-EX by being a bad opening Pokémon as well.

So the short version is it has some potential but some obvious issues as well; not gonna write it off or hype it up. ;)

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
I actually meant that Poké Ball doesn't see competitive play, so from a competitive standpoint it's useless; it would be less useless if it could grab any ball card such as Ultra Ball or Dive Ball. And I never did like things in the game that were reliant on coin flips because coins/die hate me :p

Otaku

The wise fool?
I actually meant that Poké Ball doesn't see competitive play, so from a competitive standpoint it's useless; it would be less useless if it could grab any ball card such as Ultra Ball or Dive Ball. And I never did like things in the game that were reliant on coin flips because coins/die hate me :p

Yeah, but if you don't use cards because randomizers hate you, then you can't use things like Crushing Hammer or Super Scoop Up, which have been very competitive cards before. ;) As long as you understand two things:

1. People often remember when things go wrong easier than when they go right. We expect (or at least intend) for things to go right, instead of wrong, after all. So its a decent joke statement but can be problematic when a player gets dogmatic about it. I ticked someone off when I actually went through an online match, counted all their coin flip results, and pointed out that they were flipping slightly over 50% "heads". When you get a result matters as well, but the main thing was they just played poorly/had a bad deck.
  2. The entire point of card support/combos is that a bad card can become good. Poké Ball isn't even truly bad, just underwhelming. In this case a second use of Poké Ball allows the Item to function a bit more like Dual Ball. Dual Ball let you flip twice and get one Basic Pokémon per "heads"; the Ability of Foongus means you essentially get two flips good for any one Pokémon per "heads". Still might not be good enough though as competition is steep. ;)
I've got some people debating me on this card elsewhere, and because I'm proposing a "wait and see" attitude I get labeled as a Foongus lover. XD

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
I never said I don't use cards that are coin flip (well I don't actually play any more, so technically I don't haha), I just prefer not to if there's an option. I used to play Toad Bats, so ran 4 Scoop Up, and I believe some Crushing Hammers too. My point, as I said, was that Poké Ball is a pretty useless card competitively - there are better options for almost every situation - making Foongus pretty useless too. In my opinion, of course.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I never said I don't use cards that are coin flip (well I don't actually play any more, so technically I don't haha), I just prefer not to if there's an option. I used to play Toad Bats, so ran 4 Scoop Up, and I believe some Crushing Hammers too. My point, as I said, was that Poké Ball is a pretty useless card competitively - there are better options for almost every situation - making Foongus pretty useless too. In my opinion, of course.

I just spent a lot of time typing up two or three would-be responses. Then posted a fourth response where I forgot what thread this was. Yes, I really can be this stupid. >_< There is another thread just discussing Foongus. This is not that thread.

So I apologize for going into unnecessary detail. That was wrong of me. This isn't the place for deep discussion about what might be. >_<

Last edited: