Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

I kind of want this to be Volcanion/Volcanion-EX (depending on who is being printed, probably both) to be like.

Volcanion
HP: 130
Water/Fire (Could be either)
(R) (W) Scald 50
(R) (R) (C) Fire Blast 120 Discard a (R) energy attached to this Pokemon.
Retreat: 2
Weakness: Fighting (don't know abbreviation)

Volcanion-EX
HP: 180
Water/Fire (Could be either)
(R) (W) Scald 50
(W) (W) (R) (C) Steam Eruption 150 Discard a (R) or (W) energy attached to this Pokemon. Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Burned.
Retreat: 2
Weakness: Fighting

I think that the burn status needs to return. The last time it has been seen was on Arcanine from Next Destinies with Blazing Mane. (At least I think.)

Please bring back dual types, they were great! Deltas were awesome, too.

I'm really curious to see how Volcanion will typed and what it's weakness/resistance will be.

This is so amazing! Really looking forward to some awesome dual type cards in the new set. As if Pokémon didn't already take enough of my money...

Seems like a very cool, well-balanced card.

Can't wait to see how they do the Full Art on this now that we know it's a dual type.

A quick brainstorm of the (decent) [R] and [W] cards that Volcanion can take advantage of:
  • Blacksmith
  • Dive Ball
  • Rough Seas
  • Splash Energy
I wonder if Volcanion will be doubly affected by Parallel City's damage-decreasing effect?

Last edited:
(Before Edit)
Nice FIRE Weakness WPM

Also, can I just say... Why is it weak to water. Clearly, this guy has Water Absorb.

(Before Edit)
Nice FIRE Weakness WPM

Also, can I just say... Why is it weak to water. Clearly, this guy has Water Absorb.

I thinks its weak, because is mainly a Fire Pokemon. The ability and attack are Fire inspired. Water its just a secondary tipe.

Ugh, that ability is epic. I'm definitely going to be dropping a pair of Volcanion in my Houndoom deck.

Really hoping M Garde is psy/fairy now.

I'm glad they're bringing back dual types, they were fun! I can't wait to see what the rest of the set has.

I thinks its weak, because is mainly a Fire Pokemon. The ability and attack are Fire inspired. Water its just a secondary tipe.

Oh I understand how Dual types are treated in the card game before this.
This is probably the first time where a Pokemon that would take 0 Damage in the games, and now would take DOUBLE the damage, cause the TCG sucks at translating that kind of thinking over.

Like, imagine how baffling it is. This guy takes ZERO, Zich Damage from Water attacks in the games. Somehow, he is weak to water HERE cause Fire is suppose to be weak to water cause.... TCG Logic.

With the ability Charizard can hit for 180 without any tools,while Entei hit 180 with a single band.Can't wait to see it in Entei/Charizard decks.Also willing to see its full art version.

Ugh... So the set right after I leave the game (yea I'm playing magic now instead of pokemon) they decide to integrate a really cool mechanic into the game :*(

Can't wait to see how they do the Full Art on this now that we know it's a dual type.

A quick brainstorm of the (decent) [R] and [W] cards that Volcanion can take advantage of:
  • Blacksmith
  • Dive Ball
  • Rough Seas
  • Splash Energy
I wonder if Volcanion will be doubly affected by Parallel City's damage-decreasing effect?

I doubt that it will be doubly affected by Parallel City. I'd imagine that even though it is dual type, it can only be one type at a time. It's difficult to translate that kind of mechanic into the card game.

With that new Volcanion card, I can definitely see Charizard and Entei getting used a lot. In the Expanded format, I can see Typhlosion and Emboar benefiting from Volcanion's ability too.

• Blacksmith
  • Dive Ball
  • Rough Seas
  • Splash Energy
I believe a ruling was made on this for a pokemon affected by AOR Vaporeon and Flareon, the effect only applies once, so the damage would be reduced by 20, not 40 damage.

Oh I understand how Dual types are treated in the card game before this.
This is probably the first time where a Pokemon that would take 0 Damage in the games, and now would take DOUBLE the damage, cause the TCG sucks at translating that kind of thinking over.

Like, imagine how baffling it is. This guy takes ZERO, Zich Damage from Water attacks in the games. Somehow, he is weak to water HERE cause Fire is suppose to be weak to water cause.... TCG Logic.

Nope. Phantom Forces Heatran (a Metal type) is weak to Fire, despite having Flash Fire in-game.

Furthermore, even if you Skill Swap'd / Worry Seeded either of Volcanion or Heatran's abilities away, they'd still only take neutral damage from Water or Fire, respectively.

Also, while I thought Delta Species dual types were extremely dope, I hope this is a move towards more "realistic" typings on cards!

I always wanted different moves to have different types associated with them. In the game Pokémon carry coverage moves, but in the cards we have coverage 'mons haha.

I wonder if this will extend into "normal" Pokemon or if it will be limited to EX.

As for the Weakness, it would have made more sense to go with Fighting weakness, considering Fire/Water typing is weak to Rock and Ground. Or even Lightning weakness.

I have a funny feeling that M Gardevoir-EX might be part Dark-type. I know this makes no sense within the context of the video games, but the vibe from this set - 'Cruel Traitor', a seemingly evil M Gardevoir-EX who happens to be shiny - is making me think...

Back