Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

Pokemon has confirmed Fates Collide to be released for May 2nd in stores. This comes from my supplier. Just letting you know.

I have to say i'm liking the new format with prerelease. I pulled a carbink break, sercert rare alakazam, mega altaria. In my first 3-4 booster packs then I pulled a bronzong break my final pack inbetween nothing to good but still it was pretty good.

Carbink – Fighting – HP80
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Energy Keeper
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Basic Pokemon’s Basic Energy can’t be discarded by effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities, or Trainers.

[F][F][C] Stone Edge: 60+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Is it just me, or is this a great tech card? Bye bye crushing hammer!

Marowak: I can't recall the last time a Stage was printed without its Basic, outside of the Primal SR reprints and the mid-BW era SRs. A bit odd, especially if in the future Breakthrough rotates before Fates Collide and it becomes unplayable. Assuming no Cubone is printed between now and then, of course.

I am excited to try out some Restored decks. The Strong Energy reprint makes Kabutops a tad more playable, which I'm happy about. Aerodactyl, though, seems much more solid as an attacker. I also like how proud he is about his gargoyle impression. "Look at me, Mom!"

Marowak: I can't recall the last time a Stage was printed without its Basic, outside of the Primal SR reprints and the mid-BW era SRs. A bit odd, especially if in the future Breakthrough rotates before Fates Collide and it becomes unplayable. Assuming no Cubone is printed between now and then, of course.

I am excited to try out some Restored decks. The Strong Energy reprint makes Kabutops a tad more playable, which I'm happy about. Aerodactyl, though, seems much more solid as an attacker. I also like how proud he is about his gargoyle impression. "Look at me, Mom!"

It happens often when Japan gets promos of evolved Pokemon and they just get thrown into our English sets. One I remember distinctly was Haxorus from Dark Explorers.

Basic Pokemon

As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Basic Pokemon’s Basic Energy can’t be discarded by effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities, or Trainers.

[F][F][C] Stone Edge: 60+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.

I agree it's very underrated

what do you mean?
pUptRly.png

Basic Pokemon

1) It only protects Basic Energy, while so many decks rely on Special Energy.
2) Said protection only applies to the Basic Energy attached to Basic Pokémon.
3) The other Carbink this has Safeguard.

When all three of those are considered together, I can understand why there isn't as much hype for this version.

1) It only protects Basic Energy, while so many decks rely on Special Energy.
2) Said protection only applies to the Basic Energy attached to Basic Pokémon.
3) The other Carbink this has Safeguard.

When all three of those are considered together, I can understand why there isn't as much hype for this version.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking more as a tech against energy disruption decks. I think denying decks like that from playing hammers and team Flare on basic energy could be a good move. Manetric and Yveltal decks, because of the quickness, could benefit from a one off as a tech. And since it is a basic, it's not tricky to get out. Denying a round of hammers to disruption decks, might be a good move for quick attacking decks, especially early game.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking more as a tech against energy disruption decks. I think denying decks like that from playing hammers and team Flare on basic energy could be a good move. Manetric and Yveltal decks, because of the quickness, could benefit from a one off as a tech. And since it is a basic, it's not tricky to get out. Denying a round of hammers to disruption decks, might be a good move for quick attacking decks, especially early game.

Yes, the basic concept is plausible; at the same time decks may be better off using other solutions. If a deck can't recycle its Crushing Hammers, anyway. The card might be quite useful for Expanded play, but most are thinking of using Carbink BREAK for its acceleration and the other new Carbink so that Carbink BREAK can survive being up front and attacking to accelerate Energy. I assume decks with room will run both. ;)

Back