Discussion How to beat Night March

kai88

THE Aspiring Trainer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Okay, so I went to Ontario States, and over half the decks were night march. I was running vespiquen vileplume, and still lost. How do you deal with it? Here is what makes night march rigged-

Consistency
Damage Output
Speed
100 hp Pumpkaboos
70 hp Joltiks
Jirahi
PUZZLE OF TIME!!!
(DCE Retrieval)

How do you beat it? What decks/Techs may kill night march?

Thoughts??

You really just have to hope they don't get setup unless you want to build a very specific anti night march deck.

If you're playing trev break against night march thats a pretty favorable match up.

If you got something like Seismitoad-EX or Trevenant, your job has become much easier. If not, then make sure that you have some decent non-EX attackers. Use Fighting Spirit Belts in order to keep Night Marchers from OHKOing your main EX attackers. Make sure to take out support Pokemon such as Bronzong and Milotic and pile on the energy pressure with Hammers and Xerosic. If you're doing it right, Night March won't have a leg to stand on.

@kai88 The deck matchup is very favorable for Vespiquen/Vileplume VS Night March. If you are still having trouble I'd consider changing your list to make T1 Vileplume a lot more common. I have a list you can use if you'd like :)

IDK why but in expanded I play first ticket and latios ex from roaring skies just because of night march

You technically can't play first ticket. Read this text: Before you flip a coin to decide who goes first in a game, you may play this card. Don't flip that coin, and you go first. If both players play First Ticket, flip the coin as normal. (You may play only 1 First Ticket before you flip that coin.). You flip the coin before you draw you're hand, therefor making it literally impossible to play. So crop it out of your deck.

So today I was playing against my friend just for fun and trying to see what was good against Night March. I found that Hex Maniac can be quite effective as it stops their Milotic or Shaymin EX, especially when used on the first turn.

Another type of deck that DESTROYS Night March is spread-damage decks(Manectric/Bats or Greninja BREAK)

Assault Vests are also worth considering as almost EVERY Night Marcher will have a DCE on it taking away 40 damage each time they attack.

I asked a judge and I was supposed to set up for the game (Prizes, Active Pokmeon, etc) and then we decide who goes first so that way I could already play first ticket @Micajah

I asked a judge and I was supposed to set up for the game (Prizes, Active Pokmeon, etc) and then we decide who goes first so that way I could already play first ticket @Micajah
That judge was actually wrong. The roll to determine first and second now happens before set up takes place. When first ticket was printed, that was not how it worked. Since then, the rule has changed, and first ticket is now essentially useless.

3 ways to beat night march:

1. T1 item lock
2. you be much better than your opponent
3. You draw like a god while they don't

PS: You must have at least 2 of the above to stand a chance :)

I feel its important to say against night march, you really only have 1 turn to do anything. These one of cards are very impractical against a deck like this. To have a fighting chance against Night March, you need one or more of these things;

1- You have to win the coin toss and go first. First Ticket isn't an thing, even in expanded unless a errata is issued.
2- You have to hope the Night March player doesn't hit the cards needed but you get your ideal setup.
3- You have to hope the prize most of their Night March Pokemon, with a huge preference for the attackers
4- You have to build a very specific deck just to counter, which creates a balance issue.
5- You get your 1 of counter cards
6- You manage to go first and get a Trevanent into play via Wally

Most of this just isn't practical considering you have only one turn to get setup or disrupt if they didn't explode.

Vespiquen-Vileplume is really good against Night March. It is also a good play into about every matchup...

I actually just got back from Wisconsin States where I went 5-0-2 in Swiss. I went up against 4 of them including google (top 32 in US) and Caleb (Top 4(?) in US). Each match against the 4 Night Marchers I lost the coin flip and went 2nd, but still managed to win 2-1 with the best of 3 matches.

I took 2nd after Swiss and continued into top cut where my first match was Night March. Lost the coin flip but still managed to pull off the 2-1 win.

Top 4 was a different story, Went against Night March piloted by Caleb (Who I beat in Swiss) and once again lost the coin flip. I managed to pull off 1 win but on the 3rd game I prized my 1 revitalizer, 1 DCE, and 2 of my 3 Vileplume. Being forced to discard the Vileplume on my opening hand (not having anyway to look through my deck to get my counts) I ultimately lost and wound up 3rd place.

It was a good run but the only sad thing is I lost all the coin flips in a match where the first coin flip usually decides the outcome.

And if I would have won that match my Finals match would have been against another Night Marcher.

Vespiquen-Vileplume is really good against Night March. It is also a good play into about every matchup...

I actually just got back from Wisconsin States where I went 5-0-2 in Swiss. I went up against 4 of them including google (top 32 in US) and Caleb (Top 4(?) in US). Each match against the 4 Night Marchers I lost the coin flip and went 2nd, but still managed to win 2-1 with the best of 3 matches.

I took 2nd after Swiss and continued into top cut where my first match was Night March. Lost the coin flip but still managed to pull off the 2-1 win.

Top 4 was a different story, Went against Night March piloted by Caleb (Who I beat in Swiss) and once again lost the coin flip. I managed to pull off 1 win but on the 3rd game I prized my 1 revitalizer, 1 DCE, and 2 of my 3 Vileplume. Being forced to discard the Vileplume on my opening hand (not having anyway to look through my deck to get my counts) I ultimately lost and wound up 3rd place.

It was a good run but the only sad thing is I lost all the coin flips in a match where the first coin flip usually decides the outcome.

And if I would have won that match my Finals match would have been against another Night Marcher.

Good job. Thats a pretty awesome performance.

One other option is to run a Speed Giratina Deck. Giratina's attack basically prevents your opponent from playing DCE. I'm rather surprised how many builds of only 4 energy there are, given this card's power.

Good job. Thats a pretty awesome performance.
Thanks!!

One other option is to run a Speed Giratina Deck. Giratina's attack basically prevents your opponent from playing DCE. I'm rather surprised how many builds of only 4 energy there are, given this card's power.
Yes... That deck is very hard to overcome... Speaking for both night March and Vespiquen decks, only way to beat it is:
A. Go first
B. Get more then 1 DCE in play before you can attack with Giratina (which is how I beat this deck) because you kill 1 Pokemon with a DCE and I respond knock you out and you need to get another loaded Giratina or Zerosic (which is how I lost) to finish up the DCE's left in the deck
C. Lysandre around and stall

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of us who do not run Night March, but compete against it a lot, I'd suggest:
  • Know how the "average" NM deck operates;
  • Run 2+ Silent Lab to minimize/shutdown the opportunities for your opponent's use of Shaymin EX; and
  • Run 2+ Judge to disrupt your opponent's hand.

Great tournament; congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all are forgetting about Jolteon-EX. While it can be Lysandre'd around if you run a one of JirachiXY67 they have to puzzle of time for the DCEs not Lysandres and target whistles.

Back