• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Rayquaza EX / Sky Field

Name: Ace

Emerald Break This
My first deck garage post since my old account from 2013. Just looking for some pointers.

Pokémon: 20
  • 3 Rayquaza EX- ROS- Mega Ascension
  • 3 M Rayquaza EX- ROS -Emerald Break
  • 3 Shaymin EX- ROS
  • 2 Swablu- ROS
  • 2 Altaria- ROS
  • 2 Vulpix- PRC
  • 2 Ninetales- PRC
  • 2 Hoopa EX- promo
  • 1 Manaphy EX- BRT
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
  • 3 Winona
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Switch
  • 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Sky Field
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Trainers' Mail
  • 1 Coreless
  • 1 Skyla
Energy: 10
  • 6 Water Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

Looking for Winona, Hoopa, and ultra ball early. Get out sky field asap. Set up the techs. Start Emerald Breaking for 240. I know Metal Ray with Bronzong is a little more efficient for energy gains after KO, or for any discarding to help set up. By I like Manaphy, Altaria, and Tales as my Techs because they all help Ray stay alive with free switches and no weakness. Any feedback will be taken. Thank you. Ace.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
You may want to consider adding in 1-2 Sacred Ash... I routinely drop my Parallel City (limiting your bench size to just 3 Pokemon) against Ray decks after opponents fill their benches.

GreenPariah

Aspiring Trainer
s
You may want to consider adding in 1-2 Sacred Ash... I routinely drop my Parallel City (limiting your bench size to just 3 Pokemon) against Ray decks after opponents fill their benches.
Thats why he has Ninetales, but a simple Hex Maniac / Stadium Drop takes care of that.

I love Altaria in my list, but i play a 1-1 line. I opt for a metal build, soley so i can use Aegislash EX to stop the Mirror, and any Special Energy abusers. I also tech in a 2-2 Raichu line as well. Your list looks solid, but i would definitely recommend either a super rod, or Sacred ash, or both. It is absolutely necessary to get pokemon back after an opponent bumps your skyfield. Also for an ultra consistent build i would recommend a battle compressor build Running lots of One-Ofs of supporters, rather than running heavy supporters. You can Access them via VS Seeker, a T1 Winona off VS for two Shaymin EX and a M Ray is absolutely amazing. Plus you get the added benefit of being able to pull out a Hex Maniac, Xerosic, Lysandre for those clutch plays. The only down side to my type of build, is it gets hurt incredibly by item lock, especially in a format that has a t1 item lock in two different commonly played decks. But even under item lock, my build still fares well, and I'd say it has at least a 50/50 matchup across the board, except in the case of MegaMan Variants or heavy electric decks that use Raikou.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
Hi Name: Ace!

Just for clarity, is this deck meant to be for Standard of for expanded? The reason I ask this is because you have Colress in your deck which is currently out of the Standard rotation and is only in Expanded as of right now. I'd suggest swapping out Colress with a Professor Birch's Observation or a Judge instead.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Thats why he has Ninetales, but a simple Hex Maniac / Stadium Drop takes care of that.
Precisely; play the Hex Maniac, then the Parallel City. Item-locking via Trevenant or Vileplume is quite popular in my area; so, IMO, Hex Maniac should be a staple in most decks.

GreenPariah

Aspiring Trainer
Precisely; play the Hex Maniac, then the Parallel City. Item-locking via Trevenant or Vileplume is quite popular in my area; so, IMO, Hex Maniac should be a staple in most decks.
It has been one-of in all my decks since release in every one of my decks. I've been thinking of raising it to two copies in some of them though.

bidou

Aspiring Trainer
I ma also playing this deck for a few months, and the "blue" variant is very solid (even if I am more confident in the Electric variant, but it is not the subject here).
Manaphy EX, Seismitoad EX and a 2-2 Milotic line are great additions to M-Ray.

I also recommend to play 4 copies of Battle Compressor in order to ensure a T1 Hoopa EX with Buddy-Buddy Rescue, the right Supporter with VS Seeker and the good use of Mega Turbo.

However, as @GreenPariah said, this deck suffers too much against an item lock Turn 1 (Wally-Trevenant mainly, Vileplume is a little easier to deal with).
I think it is important to find something to counter this lock.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I've been thinking of raising it to two copies in some of them though.
If you suspect there will be "lots" of players running Trevenant and/or VespiPlume at your next tournament, I strongly suggest you do. Given the recent success of these decks at States, 2 Hex maniac will be useful (I even played Hex Maniac 4 straight turns against a ToadBats deck player which easily helped me to win that matchup).

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Battle Compressors. If you want a more consistent Mega Turbo, play three Mega Turbo, and four Battle Compressors.
Another idea is the XY Swellow because you force your opponent to switch, just an idea.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Do you really think that a second Hex Maniac will be sufficient to deal with a Trevenant lock ?
The second Hex Maniac is mainly to increase my chances of drawing into one after my opponent has Item-locks me on his/her T1; it's just a personal preference.

Last edited:

yonex13

Aspiring Trainer
I was thinking four compressor and four vs seeker to grab an early game winona or some other supporter.

Do you think you need three compressors?

With how much you draw into stuff with Pokemon and thin your deck out with the ultra balls and Hoopa... You dont need more than 3. I find 2 to be successful.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
With how much you draw into stuff with Pokemon and thin your deck out with the ultra balls and Hoopa... You dont need more than 3. I find 2 to be successful.
Ok. What about Seismitoad EX for this deck. You already have the water energy and Toad only needs a dce to attack.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Definitely something I would add to help with NM matchup. Or would you go Articuno for non-ex?
I have tried Articuno, he is useless. Sure you get the prize bonus and all but he really only works well with primal Kyogre because Kyogre powers him up quickly and then swithes to get up to three prize cards.

The toad is an obviously better play.

Last edited by a moderator: