Pokemon.com has posted an overview for 2016’s video game championship format, which will be used at all sanctioned events. The format will go into effect on January 1st.
The most notable change is allowing certain Legendary Pokemon on teams that have been banned from tournament play since 2010. This is probably because said Legendary Pokemon are more readily available now thanks to Hoopa and the current generation of games. Mythical Pokemon are still banned since they are event Pokemon that not all players have access to.
- All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
- Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.
- Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will not be permitted (the blue pentagon is required).
- All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.
- Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
- All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item.