Saw this when it first broke earlier this morning but was unable to update because I’m directing a whole production on a film set! Lunch break now!
CoroCoro magazine has revealed a new Pokemon mechanic called “Mega Evolution” as well as three new Kalos Pokemon. More information and clearer scans should be coming in the coming days. Thanks goes to Puddizzle for translating.
- Some Pokemon will now have “Mega” forms which they achieve through a new mechanic called “Mega Evolution.” CoroCoro shows Mega Blaziken, Mega Lucario, Mega Absol, Mega Mawile, Mega Ampharos, and the previously-revealed Mega Mewtwo. They are each of slightly different heights and weights than their normal forms, feature new Abilties, and can be different types.
- A Torchic will be distributed over Wi-Fi from October 12th to January 15th, which can eventually evolve into Mega Blaziken. It comes with a new hold item called “Blazikenite” and will need to use a “Mega Stone.” These are perhaps the item mechanics that allow a Pokemon to eventually achieve its mega form (our source had originally stated that Mewtwo needs items to achieve its new “formes”).
- Each of the revealed Mega Pokemon have different Abilities than usual: Mega Blaziken has Speed Boost, Mega Lucario has Adaptability, Mega Absol has Magic Bounce, Mega Mawile has Huge Power, Mega Ampharos has Mold Breaker, and Mega Mewtwo has Insomnia.
- Mega Ampharos is Electric/Dragon. Mawile has been retyped to Steel/Fairy. Its Mega form is the same.
- The term “Mega Evolution” was first trademarked back in February.
- A new female Gym Leader named Koruni knows all about Mega Evolutions.
- Gogoat has a pre-evolution named Meikuru, who is 0.9m and 31.0kg.
- Dedenne, the Antenna Pokemon, is an Electric/Fairy type. Its abilities are Pick Up or a new ability called Cheek Pouches. It is 0.2m and 2.2kg.
- Horubii, the Digging Pokemon, is a Normal-type. Like Dedenne it also has the abilities Pick Up or Cheek Pouches. It is 0.4m and 5.0kg.
- The Super Training area is seen in the scan of the new Kalos Pokemon.
If the Mewtwo in Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo’s Awakening is any indication, these Mega forms are only temporary forms and can be turned on or off (perhaps during battles while holding the “-ite” item). The forms probably reconfigure the Pokemon’s stats as well, as it was obvious in the film that Mewtwo was extremely fast when in its new form. If true, this will add a whole new dimension to battles since you’ll need to know the Mega Pokemon’s stats, new typings, new Abilities, etc.
Could these new Awakened Forms be some sort of DNA mechanic introduced by Team Flare? In the Genesect film, Mewtwo was being operated on by a couple of evil-looking scientists, and Mewtwo was able to change to the new form, so maybe the scientists had something to do with it (they obviously created that Mewtwo after all, and it is their Mewtwo which is able to change to this forme). The only evil characters in X and Y are Team Flare, so maybe the scientists in the film were them. This is all total speculation of course.
What do you think of the new Mega Evolution mechanic? Feel free to discuss your thoughts in this thread on our forums!