Update #2 (5:30 PM): Added two additional factoids to the bottom of the list thanks to Yaminokame. Update #1 (5:00 PM): Someone on YouTube has uploaded a video of part of the episode. At 4:20 it shows a battle against the rival and you can hear the remixed music accompanying it. The video can be watched below.
It is Sunday in Japan right now and Pokemon Sunday is currently airing a HeartGold and SoulSilver demonstration with Junichi Masuda, the director of the Pokemon games. Heerosferret is translating the broadcast below and new information will be added as the show airs. Remember, we will be fully covering the games when they come out, so be sure to check back here during the week!
- The female character is named Kotone. Thus, she is not Kris, the original Pokemon Crystal girl.
- You can hear water when you get close to it with your character.
- There is now an option to make the Running Shoes permanent. As in, you do not have to hit B to run faster – your character will just walk faster by default.
- Your Starter Pokemon begins to follow you the instant Professor Elm gives it to you.
- The staff strongly suggested that some of the Pikachu on the PokeWalker’s Yellow Course know Fly… not that there was any doubt about that. They showed the months-old promotional artwork of Pikachu on the course, pointing out that one of them in the background is flying with balloons. They blatantly stated that this was a hint as to what the special move would be.
- A new Pokethlon event is “Steal Flag,” which is essentially capture-the-flag. Your Pokemon basically gather up flags and bring them back to a goal. This event deals with the speed and technique stats.
- Another new Pokethlon event is “Catch Saucer,” where you control three Pokemon together and must capture as many flying saucer discs as possible. It deals with the jump and power stats.