Yveltal EX Variants

Thank you all for the responses. As beautifully as my current Yveltal build (without Garbodor or Manectric) runs, I have faced a few too many Fairy and Seismitoad/Pyroar decks to consider it a safe play. I only have access to one Seismitoad but I could add either Garbodor or Manectric, and I've gotten some limited testing done for both. They both seem to have their advantages, but I'm probably leaning toward the Manectric variant because of the advantage it gives against other Yveltal decks (which seems like at least a third of the metagame, haha). With only my one Seismitoad, is there any matchup where Garbodor offers a clear advantage over Manectric? Thanks.

Its also good against plasma decks, Vir / Gen decks. It stops the damage boosts from Deoxys EX and the red signal from Genesect EX and Virdent wind from Virizion EX.

What do you guys thing of a Yveltal/Landorus combined? For me its sounds pretty well and want to try it.

I have played against a standard darkrai/big + baby yveltals and a tech'd lando and mewtwo and it did well all the way up to top cut until it had to play flareon.

About the fairy thing.. the best option is always seismitoad. They can't max potion, then next turn death by evil ball. Loading so much energies in one yveltal is a high risk you can't affort without dark patch.

Hey guys, i'm new to these types of forums. I have a question about The Yveltal EX Deck. If you're not running Garbodor then there's nothing you can do against a Pyroar. Even if you are running it. You can't touch his guys until you get your Garbodor out and a tool on him. That being said, instead of Seismitoad EX (which is still a basic), what do you think of Milotic (23/106) with a Life Dew. If you have to use it early to protect someone then you'll be giving up a prize. But it can do 120 dmg to fire and allows to attach 3 energy to a big and beasty. Also, there's Clawitzer 24/111 for his splash cannon attack. Also, should this deck worry about Pyroar or should it make it's extras Fighting types to combat electric types which are gonna hurt Yveltal the most. I just didn't know if there were enough electrical cards in play to worry about it. Or should the extra be an electric type? to combat other Yveltals and Lugia decks. I hate that 3 prize draw deck. Granted, Garbodor negates that but garbodor isn't a guarantee. all they need is a tool scrapper and they draw 3 prizes. Aegislash EX 65/119 seems alright, a lot of people run special energy and no steel needed to run his attack. I could throw one or 2 in. One more note, what about Malamar EX, his sleep ability is great partnered in with his attack can be descent. They make a tool that allows to re-roll on roll based attacks so you can try to get atleast one or two heads for 60-120. I don't like the fighting weakness though. Specially with Donphan decks. I know this is a lot. But i'm in crunch time trying to prep for states on the 21st of march. I get the seimitoad but he's weak to Vir/Gen. The one deck i can't stand getting beat by. would a Seismitoad Ex be a good add in as well as a fire type? Just something that can take a hit or two from verizion ex and push out descent damage for a 1 prize/2 prize exchange.

Why Seismitoad in Yveltal

So, i have a question about the Yveltal Decks. I'm running one with garbodor. I spoke to some kid at a League tourny. He said the Seismitoad is in to combat pyroar.

Here's my thoughts: Without Garbodor (being on the field with a tool) Seimitoad is a BASIC and can't even attack pyroar. With garbodor on the field, can't my Yveltal/Darkrai/Yveltal EX just one shot pyroar? Why would it need to be a water type? Wouldn't it better to run a fire type against the BIGGER and FASTER threat (Vir/Gen)? So, with another basic being in the deck (seismitoad ex) and the water attribute being unnecessary, why does everyone think he's the better option. I'm just not understanding whatever it is i'm missing. I think i'm just doubting him too much. Maybe it's a good boost against fighting decks. I'm just worried about pyroar and the fact that (if i don't get Garbodor out) there's not a single card in my deck that can attack him. So i'm trying to justify having my Garbodor/Trubbish count at 2/3 so i can fit in 2 seimitoads when i could have another Garbodor and a trubbish in there for better draw power on my tech. Which i need to survive Vir/Gen, Lugia, Pyroar decks. Also, I'm running 3 float stone and a Darkrai EX in my deck. Is it too redundant to have a darkrai in there with the float stones? Maybe i should switch him out for another garbodor. Or another float stone. Or a switch, which i'm running zero of. :( I'm going to test my deck tonight, i'll post results and ask for further advice tonight or tomorrow morning :). I'm gonna test it against a straight Vir/Gen deck. I built a proxy of it cause i hate that deck. If i make top 8, I'll be surprised if i go down to a VirGen deck.... so, seeing as how it's the most popular deck, i run my deck against a basic one. That and it's a great test for speed. The vir/gen deck i have proxy-ed is super quick. I usually have 2 or 3 guys powered up by turn 2 or 3. So, it lets me know how quick my deck is moving and if it can take a punch. Probably going to sway me towards fire, just to crush vir/gen decks. lol

Hey HASE!

Honestly, you shouldn't worry about facing Pyroar anymore. It is pretty much a dead deck. There is no need to ruin your consistency just to beat a deck you might not even face in a whole tourney at the moment.

You can use Shadow Circle if you are worried about facing Manectric EX decks in your area.

Don't run different things just to counter one type of deck. That will result in a loss of consistency.

Gengar master said:
Hey HASE!

Honestly, you shouldn't worry about facing Pyroar anymore. It is pretty much a dead deck. There is no need to ruin your consistency just to beat a deck you might not even face in a whole tourney at the moment.

You can use Shadow Circle if you are worried about facing Manectric EX decks in your area.

Don't run different things just to counter one type of deck. That will result in a loss of consistency.

Okay, thank you. i've been out since cities last year. trying to catch up, build and prep. and all in a month :)

I still didn't like running the Toad against Vir/Gen. I have one Proxy-ed and it crushes him because of how quickly they power up. I ended up just using him as a discard. I wish he were a camerupt, but i know against any other deck the Toads effect could be really beneficial. I know 2 people at states from local top 8 at cities are running a Vir/Gen deck and a Lugia deck. I'm stressing running into them, lol.

I didn't run shadow circle. i ran virbank and lasers for the kick. also, if i go against vir/gen deck, my garbador allows me to hit them hard with the 30 per turn. I just like the kick it gives. they see 60 damage before my turn comes back. makes it easy to switch, funnel energy and max potion. then finish with a dink. :)

I ran Colress in my deck. I found this to be horrible. I drew him early on all three times i ran the deck. Ended up playing him as my only supporter for a draw of 2 or 3. I'm going to yank all 3 of him and replace with 2 Bianca and a Potion (not sure which one yet) but i noticed in all my games that just taking away 30 damage would've screwed with the other deck's strategy and delayed the prize draw by a turn. Also, i'm either going to yank my 3 float stones for another darkrai, a bianca, and a skyla (or) yank my darkrai for a skyla. Not sure yet. gonna sleep on it. I'm worried about Vir/Gen, Lugia, Ground Types, Darkrai and Yveltal decks. They're big here in Colorado. Atleast up north. I think that accurately describes last cities tourny i was at.

RE: Why Seismitoad in Yveltal

First of all, WOAH that was a hard read.

Secondly, Toad helps you set up. It stops the opponent doing things so you have more time. That's all.

theJelly said:
First of all, WOAH that was a hard read.

Secondly, Toad helps you set up. It stops the opponent doing things so you have more time. That's all.

I know, I have a lot on my brain. Woke up today with more questions. lol

He works good against all but grass. Vir/gen drools when it sees the Toad.

1- Float & Darkrai: Darkrai is never redundant, since darkrai is not only an ability, but a great attacker, specially thinking that it has another weakness than yveltal 10 more hp (sometimes that hp makes a huge difference), and is the only one in the deck capable of take 3-4 prizes so the opponent can't retreat his 10-30 hp left pokemon that easy. On the other hand, float stone is needed only if you play keldeo (for rush in) or garbodor (to activate garbotoxin).

2- Reasons to have seismitoad:
a- Different weakness attacker + 10hp
b- You can attack if you go second
c- You can load it with only one y-cyclone
d- It helps a lot against fairies (maybe you realized that they can't use max potion after quaking punch)
e- Sometimes the defending pokemon has 10-50 hp left... then you really want to quaking punch
f- You already play laserbank, so a cheap attacker like seismitoad, wich also prevents hammers could buy you some turns/prizes to make your setup
g- And the last and least important... helps against water weakness

energyfullart(? said:
1- Float & Darkrai: Darkrai is never redundant, since darkrai is not only an ability, but a great attacker, specially thinking that it has another weakness than yveltal 10 more hp (sometimes that hp makes a huge difference), and is the only one in the deck capable of take 3-4 prizes so the opponent can't retreat his 10-30 hp left pokemon that easy. On the other hand, float stone is needed only if you play keldeo (for rush in) or garbodor (to activate garbotoxin).

2- Reasons to have seismitoad:
a- Different weakness attacker + 10hp
b- You can attack if you go second
c- You can load it with only one y-cyclone
d- It helps a lot against fairies (maybe you realized that they can't use max potion after quaking punch)
e- Sometimes the defending pokemon has 10-50 hp left... then you really want to quaking punch
f- You already play laserbank, so a cheap attacker like seismitoad, wich also prevents hammers could buy you some turns/prizes to make your setup
g- And the last and least important... helps against water weakness

I agree. that's why i think i'm yanking my float stones. i have 3 in my deck. they'll give me +1 darkrai (if needed) +1 Skyla, +1 Muscle Band.
i think i'm also going to replace my 3 Colress-es with +2 Bianca and +1 Max Potion.
if the second Darkrai doesn't help then i'm going to replace him with Yveltal (non-ex) so i have better discard attachments.

I've been digging the Toad in my deck. The only deck i can't run it against is Vir/Gen. You have to Discard him because Virizion Ex Hits for 140 (with muscle band) and Genesect Ex Hits for 200 (without G Booster).
it's just a situation that's better, avoided.

I was going to run Pokemon Center (?) i think. the one stadium that gives you +20/30 HP for all stage one and stage two. I wasgoing to do it to piss off bench hitters trying to kill garbador. Then i realized it's probably better to just run rocky helmets (? again not sure if that's the correct name). That way if Garbador takes any bench (splash) damage, he send it right back in the form of 20 damage.

Is there a way to stop bench damage? is Mr. Mime even legal any more? (bench barrier variation)

NVM, i just saw a stadium with the block bench damage effect.
not sure if i want that in rather than virbank...
I like my 30 turn dmg.
in one full turn i do 90 dmg. i can't pass that up to block (what's the hightest bench hit attack? 30?) 30 dmg.
they're 30 turns into 60 for me with virbank/lasers. i'm a chess player, and, i like that exchange. It's like taking pawn(lvl) dmg in exchange for dealing bishop(lvl) damage.

That and there's no greater feeling in the world than watching someone's verizion (with grass energy attached) die by poison. That and watching the Vir/Gen player cry (when they can't stop it) is just as sweet.

Both Training Center (+30 HP) and the Mountain Ring are not worth using. You will find your deck needs that poison damage to take KOs. If you're really worried about damage to the bench, then you may like to include a Mr Mime PLS (I think). And in some matchups you won't bother setting up Garb.

My list right now is:

11 pokemon
2 darkrai
3 yveltal
3 Yveltal-ex
2 seismitoad-EX
1 jirachi-ex

37 trainers
4 sycamore
4 N
2 colress
2 lysandre
3 vs seeker
2 enhanced hammer
4 HT.laser
1 switch
1 escape rope
3 ultra ball
4 muscle band
1 hard charm
2 head ringer
3 virbank city
1 computer search

12 energy
4 DCE
8 darkness

bbninjas said:
Both Training Center (+30 HP) and the Mountain Ring are not worth using. You will find your deck needs that poison damage to take KOs. If you're really worried about damage to the bench, then you may like to include a Mr Mime PLS (I think). And in some matchups you won't bother setting up Garb.

That's kind of what i thought. I know, but Garb will save me against Lugia, Vir/Gen and Pyroar. I'm sure i'm forgetting a few that run off of effect. I just don't know if i have enough room for a Mr. Mime or if i shouldn't concern myself with it. I've been testing against a vir/gen and the Genesect has yet to kill anything on my bench. But darkrai, miiiight be able to pull it off. So i've have to keep an eye out for darkrai decks.

I'll post up my deck list, here shortly, so you can see what i'm trying to un-kink.

energyfullart(? said:
My list right now is:

11 pokemon
2 darkrai
3 yveltal
3 Yveltal-ex
2 seismitoad-EX
1 jirachi-ex

37 trainers
4 sycamore
4 N
2 colress
2 lysandre
3 vs seeker
2 enhanced hammer
4 HT.laser
1 switch
1 escape rope
3 ultra ball
4 muscle band
1 hard charm
2 head ringer
3 virbank city
1 computer search

12 energy
4 DCE
8 darkness

So, how do fair against ability decks? Lugia can 3 prize draw, Virizion is immune to your lasers. And Genesect can choose who to attack. Also, (not sure if you face them in your area) There's not a single creature in your deck that can attack Pyroar. Or shut down his effect. I think Garbador is a better option than Jirachi (he's the guy that allows you to draw a supporter, correct?) and maybe the Yveltals. I use a regular Yveltal myself. But he tends to get one shot-ed easily. I usually only get to use his attack once. For one energy and 30 damage. To me it seems better to just attach an energy and Virbank/Laser (on top of your attack) for +30.

I think it's a great deck! Just needs a little more variety to combat ability decks. as it stands, Vir/Gen and Pyroar would walk on that deck. Without the ability to shut down virizion it really is a waste to run lasers. I've ran into a Vir/Gen at every tourny i've gone to. So you have to expect that deck (at the very least, expect it in the top 8/16/32
but yea, against them it's 4 cards you can't even use. more if you have virbanks, i forgot to check.

One last thing now that i look at it.
I would ditch the 2 Colress you're running. And the Jirachi.
What if you draw Colress early? A Bicycle would be more beneficial than him (early on). I would replace him with Junipers, N's or Biancas.
And, what if you draw Jirachi first? You have to play him. And you're stuck drawing a supporter even if you already have one. That and can you use him to attack? If not then he's stuck up front taking damage (i think he's weak, like 130HP or something) and he's a 2 prize draw.

Here's my deck list
Pokemon: 12

• 3x Trubbish
    2x Garbador
    1x Yveltal
    3x Yveltal EX
    1x Darkrai EX
    2x Seismitoad EX (i found a full art of him in my binder! :) )
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37

• 1x Dowsing Machine
    2x Virbank City Gym
    4x N
    4x Professor Juniper
    3x Bianca
    2x Skyla
    2x Lysandre
    4x Hypnotoxic Laser
    3x Muscle Band
    3x Float Stone
    4x Ultra Ball
    1x Max Potion
    1x Professor's Letter
    3x Energy Switch
Energy: 11

• 4x Double Colorless Energy
    7x Dark Energy

Strategy:
The idea is to get and Yveltal or Seismitoad EX out early. (still debating against Seismitoad, i don't want to draw ONLY him against Vir/Gen. it doesn't end well. But that's only one deck). Supporters are mainly for speed. Lysandre for the catcher effect. Laser and Virbank for the +30 between turns. Muscle band to boost for 20. (was going to use bangles, but i only have one guy that can use it). Max Potion, has only been in my deck for 1 night and it saved me last night. I like having an Yveltal up front laughing and then cure him so that they have to start over. or if he's on my bench and they think a bench hit. The professor's letter has also helped greatly. However last night (and i onoy ran my new yveltal deck once, so i can't judge it until i run it a few more times) I lost the match. I had 2 Prize and Vir/Gen had 1. The Genesect beat out my darkrai ex due to no energy. All but one DCE and 1 Dark were in my discard. That was it, it was game since i had no energy and no way to get to it in my discard.
I may pull dowsing machine (since it's proven useless) and replace with computer search. Atleast then i can hunt whichever supporter, trainer, creature, or energy i need. I may also drop my Lysandre count down to 1, since i rarely use him. I usually end up using a Juniper, N or Bianca instead.

No one plays lugia or pyroar now ...they are forgotten decks (mainly because of manectric). Also pyroar is not as hard as it seems , you can always lysandre when their are litleo ...you know, we dont have broken time space in format xD. And if they don't put any litleo down you may kill the only pyro with laser + item lock is not easy but not an auto-loss at all. Against genesect you can't put down seismitoad, and expect to attack with him. But jirachi otherwise , will never be targeted, if you target a jirachi and don't get rid of a loaded yveltal, then you are going to have a bad time. Talking about lugia... the problem is not lugia, is thundurus, you can stop the speed up with quaking punch but you can't afford to be knocked out by a pokemon with only 1 energy (since it is a low cost is hard to KO with evil ball).

energyfullart(? said:
No one plays lugia or pyroar now ...they are forgotten decks (mainly because of manectric). Also pyroar is not as hard as it seems , you can always lysandre when their are litleo ...you know, we dont have broken time space in format xD. And if they don't put any litleo down you may kill the only pyro with laser + item lock is not easy but not an auto-loss at all. Against genesect you can't put down seismitoad, and expect to attack with him. But jirachi otherwise , will never be targeted, if you target a jirachi and don't get rid of a loaded yveltal, then you are going to have a bad time. Talking about lugia... the problem is not lugia, is thundurus, you can stop the speed up with quaking punch but you can't afford to be knocked out by a pokemon with only 1 energy (since it is a low cost is hard to KO with evil ball).

I've been out all season. i wish i knew better what to expect. Not sure about Pyroar but i know there's a Lugia deck still in the area. Last time i ran against it, he had deoxys and some coffin guy. Drove me nuts. He's the reason i missed top 8. he grabbed 3 prize twice and it was over.
not an auto-loss on pyroar but it would be a bad deck for you to run against. Still don't know how i feel about the Jirachi. I'd give Yveltal a turn to power up, to one shot Jirachi with a dink. Then you'd need a Lysandre or i'd get a 2-1 prize exchange. What about VS seeker instead of him, then you can just recall a past supporter.
haven't ran against a thundurus yet, but i'm sure i could manage. I'd just throw Toad or Darkrai at him. Night spear? i think it's called would make short work of him. with laser and 30 to bench. :)

Back