Yveltal EX Variants

I think running Yveltal EX with M manectric EX or with the crobat line would be better and easier to fit in a deck. I also think that Yveltal EX/ Crobat could be a pretty good deck once the likley xy-on rotation occurs. With the loss of Virbank and lasers the deck could be used with more shadow circle and the crobat line as pyroar counter and extra damage output.

To be honest with you, i have only basics in my deck. if i come up against Pyroar, i'm looking to beat his evolutions for KO's with Lysandre and Virbank/Lasers.
My best advice from a somewhat newbie, that i've been learning, is to stop worrying about all of the individual decks and focus on my decks consistency. :)
if i have good consistency then i'll have a better chance of going for the win and i'll have an advantage over the decks that too spread out due to worrying about weakness, effect, etc...

Ironman131 said:
I think running Yveltal EX with M manectric EX or with the crobat line would be better and easier to fit in a deck. I also think that Yveltal EX/ Crobat could be a pretty good deck once the likley xy-on rotation occurs. With the loss of Virbank and lasers the deck could be used with more shadow circle and the crobat line as pyroar counter and extra damage output.

Interesting.

I guess with no Darkrai EX (probably), no Mewtwo EX (probably), no Gabrador, no Keldeo EX, no Jirachi EX.. there is going to be a ton of spare slots in Yveltal decks.

POKEMON: 10
2 Yveltal 78/146 XY
3 Yveltal Ex XY08 Promo
1 Yveltal EX 79/146 XY
3 Seismitoad EX 20/111 FFI
1 Seismitoad EX 106/111 FFI

TRAINERS: 38
1x Scoop Up Cyclone 95/101 PLB
2x Virbank City Gym 126/135 PLS
4x Professor Juniper 84/101 PLB
4x N BW100, 96/108, 92/101, 92/101
3x Colress 118/135 PLS
2x Lysandre 90/106 FLF
1x Teammates 141/160 PRC
1x Xerosic 119/119 PHF
1x Skyla 134/149 BCR
4x Hypnotoxic Laser 123/135 PLS
3x Ultra Ball 90/101 PLB
4x Super Scoop Up 100/111 FFI
4x Muscle Band 121/146 XY
3x Robo Substitute 102/119 PHF
1x Professor’s Letter 123/146 XY

ENERGY: 12
4x Double Colorless Energy
8x Dark Energy

Here's my deck list from Colorado States. From what i could tell there was about 100 Masters. Out of them, roughly 20-30 were toad decks. My Yveltal/Toad deck did the best out of all the Toad decks. I mirror matched once against the lead toad deck and crushed it. However my record at the end of the day stood at 1 win, 3 draws, 3 losses. All 3 of the draws should've been wins. The problem with having Seismitoad is the moment you switch out for your heavy hitter (Yveltal) they can resume the use of items and make a comeback easily. Secondly, it slows your opponent down waaay too much. They end up sitting there devising ways to recover and you never make it through the third match and you end up with nothing but ties. I had more draws than anybody else in the tourny. Seismitoad is great to disrupt the tourny flow but it is not a competitive deck. And Yveltal is the best match up for toad. There wasn't a single toad deck there that was capable of beating mine.
Which leads me to a new deck. I got defeated turn 1. Night March. I went first and was not able to attack (which is not fair) because it allowed my opponent to hit me for 180 damage, turn 1, and take the win. It was a bs game.... And i lost because the broken rules allow a deck to OHKO any card in existence, turn 1, which no one can prepare for.

The top 8 consisted of the following that i know of.
One Primal Kyogre.
2 Lando-bats
2 Night March decks

One Fairy deck (gardevoir) - I faced this deck. Wow. It is vicious. Move energy from one guy to another. Max Potion. And then Move it all back to your M- Gardevoir EX. So unless you can hit for 210 DMG (230 if you're running Yveltal/Dark types) in one turn, you'll never beat this deck. No need for special energy as there's a verizion for the deck that allows to attach 2 energy in any way you like. whereas, verizion restricts the attachment to one pokemon.

and i didn't get to see the other 2 decks, However i heard a Primal Groudon made it in.

Im trying 2 virizion ex in mine for Nebraska States. I posted my decklist in the Deck Garage and did make a couple minor changes. I just do not know if it is a good enough idea or not.

That's not a bad idea for weakness. However only dealing 50-70 damage will really slow you down. Yveltal's 90-110 (and evil ball 60-80+ energy attached to opponent) is a lot harder hit and can OHKO. Also, keep in mind that Virizion can only attach grass energy to a grass type Pokemon. So you would have to attach to another Virizion, instead of Toad.

oXHASEOXo said:
That's not a bad idea for weakness. However only dealing 50-70 damage will really slow you down. Yveltal's 90-110 (and evil ball 60-80+ energy attached to opponent) is a lot harder hit and can OHKO. Also, keep in mind that Virizion can only attach grass energy to a grass type Pokemon. So you would have to attach to another Virizion, instead of Toad.

Actually, Virizion EX can Emerald Slash onto any Pokemon. It just has to be grass Energy. [scan]

I feel like Virizion EX would clunk up the deck more than anything. It requires you to run Grass Energy, which can make it harder to hit the Energy you need for Evil Ball. Some less clunky methods of getting rid of Special Conditions are Keldeo EX and Pokemon Center Lady.

A keldeo wouldn't be half bad. it would replace the robo substitutes. they were my Keldeo's in my deck list. Free prize KO which was nice. and you can discard and promote. Works soo much better than switch due to Toads shutting down items. You can still use his effect once it's in play :) Whereas, toad blocks switch and escape rope
and yep, thought he was grass specific. Still not as effective as the "Fairy Verizion" which allows you to attach 2 energy however you like. They have to be fairy energy but they don't have to go on benched pokemon or the same pokemon.

Yes xerneas still needs to attach to benched pokemon. I use Keldeo EX as my status condition removal in my deck with a dark energy on it so I can move my pokemon as needed.

Hmmm. must've misplayed, i could've swore he attached one to active. Then he hid it on the bench for M-Gardevoir...
I do like the idea of him as a switch, but i went with robo. They can't rush in but they're prizeless. and for wake up if i missed it on the roll, i had scoop ups :). I didn't have Darkrai, so the free retreat would've been a little different in my deck ):

oXHASEOXo said:
Seismitoad is great to disrupt the tourny flow but it is not a competitive deck.

http://thecharizardlounge.com/tournament-results/2015-state-championship-results/

In 11/13 States reported so far, 30% of the placings are Toad decks. 18% are Yveltal that may have had Toad in.. Next most succesful decks are P-Groudon and Donphan with 4% each.

I would say Toad is pretty competitive.

That's only 52% and that may be the general, for for what made it in, not what took first. And our top 16 had 4 or 5 lando-bats in it. So maybe the numbers are different for different regions. idk.

Seis is really really really good whether it be paired with Yveltal, Aromatisse, Slurpuff, or Garb. 48% of Top 8's at States is nothing to scoff at. In fact results argue that it is the best deck.

My brother played Yveltal / Seis / Garb in Seniors at States and got 2nd. I think Yveltal / Seis is good but it struggles against Kyogre and Groudon. Donphan playing Groudon is a toss up.

oXHASEOXo said:
That's only 52% and that may be the general, for for what made it in, not what took first. And our top 16 had 4 or 5 lando-bats in it. So maybe the numbers are different for different regions. idk.

Well, yes, only 52%. But based on 11 regions. In the current format there are 8-9 top decks and a few more than that seeing play, so for one deck to get the half the total placings is pretty outstanding.

Actually after last weekend there was a huge gain for Yveltal EX- in terms of overall placings Yveltal EX has almost caught up with Toad in terms of top 8, with everything else trailing well behind. However, you asked for 1st place: well, based on 22 States results:

Seismatoad EX- 10 first place
Yveltal EX- 3 first place
VirGen- 3 first place
Bronzong- 2 first place
Donphan- 2 first place

So, Toad decks have won in 10/22 States.

As I say, this seems pretty competitive. I mean, more realistically, it is more accurate to say Toad variants are the strongest deck in the format. But surely, we can say at least competitive?

oXHASEOXo said:
A keldeo wouldn't be half bad. it would replace the robo substitutes. they were my Keldeo's in my deck list. Free prize KO which was nice. and you can discard and promote. Works soo much better than switch due to Toads shutting down items. You can still use his effect once it's in play :) Whereas, toad blocks switch and escape rope

Robo Subs get blocked by Toad as well...

How do you guys think the release of Roaring Skies (and particularly the colorless Mega Rayquaza) affects Yveltal decks?

It really doesn't affect Yveltal EX decks at all. It could be teched into Yveltal EX decks as a back up attacker as well as Pyroar counter.

bbninjas said:
oXHASEOXo said:

Robo Subs get blocked by Toad as well...
I know, but once they're down on the field, toad can't stop you from discarding it from the field for the free promotion. And the Keldeo's require float stones, so he's a really heavy requirement tech. I loved him in my Blastoise deck :)
the robos are best early on. get them onto your bench and use them as switches. Better than needing a switch (end game) and being blocked by a toad. That and i ran teammates for Yveltals and DCE. The robo counts as a KO, so i can activate teammates without losing prizes. without robo, you have to cough up atleast one prize for teammates
SpeedyJ said:
How do you guys think the release of Roaring Skies (and particularly the colorless Mega Rayquaza) affects Yveltal decks?
Not sure, we'll have to see.
It has to (generally) be pretty quick. With decks today, everyone focuses on speed. The slower power decks are alright and all but i typically see them get crushed against Speed Vir/Gen, Speed Lugia, Turbo Flareon, Speed March and Lando-Bats (it's a pretty quick deck, seems slow until the bats hit and KOs start popping up everywhere)

you dont need a float stone on Keledo EX, you could just put a dark energy on it and have free retreat with Darkrai EX. I also use Keledo EX as an attacker against Donphan and Landorus EX.

I think Dedenne FFI is a good tech if you are expecting to see lots of other Yveltal EXs. Just make sure there isn't a Shadow Circle in play.

I go back and forth between using Keldeo EX or not. I don't really need the extra attacker against Donphan/Landorus EX as my Yveltals are Fighting resistant already. The only thing Keldeo EX is good for, IMO, is to get out of sleep. This is why I had Keldeo EX in my Regionals list but not my States list. My flips on sleep are terrible which is why I will include it in my list for next States.

Back