Discussion What's Your Pack Opening Ritual?

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
You have to have a pack ritual. Is there a specific pack you choose, do you weigh them and cheat, do you just pick them Willy Nilly, what?
Personally, I like to rub my hands all over the packs chanting Goomy while I select the packs. I do it again before I open the pack.
I have done this to someone recently and they pulled Hyper Secret Rainbow Rare Alolan Muk GX.
And on the other two packs he got Goomies.

I tap each pack five times in quick succession on the corner of the table.

There's a reason for this, haha. My league leader's claim to fame in Pokémon is that he once pulled seven Primes out of seven consecutive unweighed HGSS-era packs, and since then no one has seen fit to argue with his luck. He can often make money simply by opening packs, and he always at least breaks even.

Once, I asked him how he does it, and he said "Just tap it five times." So I bought a pack, tapped it five times, and of course didn't pull a thing. His response was that obviously I wouldn't get anything; he had to be the one to pick the pack from the box. So I tried again, having him pick the pack. Naturally, an Ultra Rare ensued (though at this point I forget what it was; I'm fairly certain it wasn't playable though).

So yeah, I've pretty much stopped arguing with his luck. If it works, it works. All I know is that I can only pull Leles when he's the one picking the packs. He just sort of runs his fingertips down the line of packs, not looking at them, until he settles on one, and chooses it. He never goes back on it, weirdly enough; I've never seen him put a chosen pack back in the box.

Anywho, that's my ritual: only open packs chosen by the league leader, and always tap 'em five times on the table. Though there was this one guy at league once who licked all his packs before opening them –– no idea where that came from, but he did pull a FA Lycanroc-GX off the one pack he bought to prove it.

Normally when I buy a booster box, I will pull all the cards out and them sort them into stacks based on the pack artwork. Normally that will leave me with four stacks. I then sort the packs in order of how much I like the Pokemon (ex. Least favorite, second least favorite, second favorite then most favorite). I then open the packs in that order, ending with my favorite Pokemon. This gives me higher suspense especially when certain packs are known to have little to no good cards in them.

When I open packs, I go right to the code card and if it's a white code card then I might slow roll it. I really hate that I know that since it removes the mystery from it but I guess this is also the reason people hate science.

When opening loose packs I just always pick my favorite Pokemon. A Ninetales is a really lucky one for me (opening 3 lele's and a SR DCE out of Ninetales packs).

I have a friend who will dance around with packs in his hands. If it "danced well" with him, than that's the best pack. Most people I know thought just bend the packs a little and if they are stiff than those are the good ones.

My Ritual:
Buy 5 packs or GX box, pull nothing.
Buy a single pack of Magic.. Pull an 80 dollar Invocation Masterpiece....

These are some good ones! I wonder if I could pull a much needed Tapu Lele out by doing every single one of these.
Wouldn't it look funny?
Step by step:
1: "Goomy the pack" (but choose fav Pokémon)
2: Tap the pack five times on the table.
3: Lick the pack.
4: Dance with the pack
5: Open up.
Imagine yourself doing that now.

My son this the thing he's seen on YouTube channels. Something like like open it, turn cards over, count 3 over, put them to back so that you're see the gx last.

I just rip it open and cut to chase!

Hold my lucky 8 sided dice up in my right hand, in my palm so it's in the middle of my hand. Pulled an FA Tapu Fini at prerelease and won a kindle fire at a raffle game this way. :)

As a collector, there's a legitimate process I go through when opening cards. I wash my hands and dry them, making sure there isn't any lint or oil on my hands. So many people forget that when you place your thumb on something, you have oils there that leave a mark and can devalue a card. It TRIGGERS me when I see people do this, especially on YouTube. They have no idea, it's really frustrating. I have a playmat set out with a couple of sleeves for any good pulls so my cards can go straight from the pack into those. The booster pack sits on one of various Regionals playmats until I am ready.

-

I use both hands to lift the Guardians Rising pack to the sky. There, I take a moment of silence, envisioning the best possible pulls from that pack alone, wishing to the cosmos that I receive said pulls. Angels appear from the heavens, harps and violins in tow, a symphonic masterpiece decorating the backdrop of this critical minute of my life.

I set the booster pack down, my hands shaking just a bit. This could be the pack that makes a difference. This could be the pack that changes my life forever.

Others savagely tear their pack apart like starving beasts in the African wilderness; I delicately undress the pack as to not displease Arceus who has so generously blessed me with this booster. I gently remove the wrapping as the angels enter diminuendo within their orchestra.

This is the moment of truth.

Just like every other PokéTuber you see, I take the first few cards and send them to the front, ever so carefully as to not scratch the others, while gently setting the Reverse Foil and the Rare onto the playmat. The code card remains face-up, so the spoils of the rarity of said Rare card are kept a mystery. The Energy is flipped over first due to its relative meaninglessness compared to the treasures that lie in store.

I flip through the first three Uncommons with hesitation...Vanillish ("dang")...Weepinbell ("you're kidding me")...Aqua Patch ("ok I'm not pissed off about this one"). The five Commons...I skim through quickly because they are also pretty meaningless.

But the last two cards...these are the ones that can make or break my wallet, my existence. The emphasis of the Reverse Foil has since plummeted due to the discontinuation of BREAK cards, but I take my time with it anyways.

Alas - a reverse Chansey! Some are usually frustrated with this Common Reverse Foil, but I enjoy the artwork and am not upset with it. She goes right into the sleeve; I make sure I touch only the sides of the card as to not leave any marks on the front or back.

But here...this Rare...could we pull the Tapu Lele-GX? Can we change the very course of my financial Pokémon history with the revelation of this single card? I imagine a life having pulled this prestigious anomaly...a house with zero down, a couple of kids, nonexistent student loans...life, life would be good. Real good.

But if I didn't? A bead of sweat drops from my brow, narrowly missing the card, crashing into the playmat in slow motion. I wipe the moisture with my sleeve, my heart rate creeping to the one hundreds, my blood beginning to boil with what is about to transpire.

My hand shakes as I begin to turn the card over...I'm afraid to look...

The vision and dream of a happy family and economic stability vanishes like a puff of smoke, as I reach for my wallet, flipping through various gift cards and memberships to find my Visa. I type in the numbers online, as I purchase two copies of Tapu Lele-GX and become one hundred dollars poorer.

-

This is usually how it goes when I buy packs.

If it's a booster box, I go right end to left. I ALWAYS hide the code card so I don't spoil anything!

When it's smaller openings, I organize them by pack artwork and alternate between the pack artworks.

As a collector, there's a legitimate process I go through when opening cards. I wash my hands and dry them, making sure there isn't any lint or oil on my hands. So many people forget that when you place your thumb on something, you have oils there that leave a mark and can devalue a card. It TRIGGERS me when I see people do this, especially on YouTube. They have no idea, it's really frustrating. I have a playmat set out with a couple of sleeves for any good pulls so my cards can go straight from the pack into those. The booster pack sits on one of various Regionals playmats until I am ready.

-

I use both hands to lift the Guardians Rising pack to the sky. There, I take a moment of silence, envisioning the best possible pulls from that pack alone, wishing to the cosmos that I receive said pulls. Angels appear from the heavens, harps and violins in tow, a symphonic masterpiece decorating the backdrop of this critical minute of my life.

I set the booster pack down, my hands shaking just a bit. This could be the pack that makes a difference. This could be the pack that changes my life forever.

Others savagely tear their pack apart like starving beasts in the African wilderness; I delicately undress the pack as to not displease Arceus who has so generously blessed me with this booster. I gently remove the wrapping as the angels enter diminuendo within their orchestra.

Just like every other PokéTuber you see, I take the first few cards and send them to the front, ever so carefully as to not scratch the others, while gently setting the Reverse Foil and the Rare onto the playmat. The code card remains face-up, so the spoils of the rarity of said Rare card are kept a mystery. The Energy is flipped over first due to its relative meaninglessness compared to the treasures that lie in store.

I flip through the first three Uncommons with hesitation...Vanillish ("dang")...Weepinbell ("you're kidding me")...Aqua Patch ("ok I'm not pissed off about this one"). The five Commons...I skim through quickly because they are also pretty meaningless.

But the last two cards...these are the ones that can make or break my wallet, my existence. The emphasis of the Reverse Foil has since plummeted due to the discontinuation of BREAK cards, but I take my time with it anyways.

Alas - a reverse Chansey! Some are usually frustrated with this Common Reverse Foil, but I enjoy the artwork and am not upset with it. She goes right into the sleeve; I make sure I touch only the sides of the card as to not leave any marks on the front or back.

But here...this Rare...could we pull the Tapu Lele-GX? Can we change the very course of my financial Pokémon history with the revelation of this single card? I imagine a life having pulled this prestigious anomaly...a house with zero down, a couple of kids, nonexistent student loans...life, life would be good. Real good.

But if I didn't? A bead of sweat drops from my brow, narrowly missing the card, crashing into the playmat in slow motion. I wipe the moisture with my sleeve, my heart rate creeping to the one hundreds, my blood beginning to boil with what is about to transpire.

The vision and dream of a happy family and economic stability vanishes like a puff of smoke, as I reach for my wallet, flipping through various gift cards and memberships to find my Visa. I type in the numbers online, as I purchase two copies of Tapu Lele-GX and become one hundred dollars poorer.

-

Epic!!!

I just bought an Evolutions booster pack, it's still closed because I'm at work. But once I arrive home I'll follow these steps:
1- Pick it up from my bag.
2- Show it to my wife, just to see her face of "I can't beleive you wasted money on this". But it's ok, it won't shup up my happiness :D.
3- Relax, sit down on the table and open the pack SLOWLY, taking care of not seeing the cards inside it.
4- Firmly hold the 10 cards together while taking the wrapping away, always with the cards face down.
5- Separate the last 3 cards (uncommons) in one pile, the following 2 (reverse and rare) in another pile, and the commons.
6- Watch the commons first, turning the cards one by one.
7- The same as previous step with the uncommons.
8- Pick the reverse card and turn it over, contemplating its beautinnes.
9- Calm down, breathe deep, prepare for the rare hoping it's something valuable, and turn over the card.
10- Turn over the rare card. Smile, whatever that card would be.
11- Keep looking at the ten cards together, feeling happy about what I did.
12- Save the 10 new cards with the other 19 of my collection.

Yes, this is the third pack I buy. I don't play in real life, just online, but I love opening packs.

Edit: I pulled a reverse holo Dewgong and a holo Clefairy :)

Last edited:

-

-

Dude. You should write a book.
No, I'm being serious. How else are you going to get a couple of kids, a house with zero down, and nonexistent student loans?
Seriously. Even "Green Eggs and Ham" was a one-hit wonder.

Well, for the past year or so I haven't been buying many packs, so most of my "rituals" are kinda forgotten. Generally though when I open a pack, I just have the code card face down so I can't see it (spoilers!) and do the card trick; 3 to the front so the RH and Rare are the last cards.

Back