Discussion What's Your Pack Opening Ritual?

For regular packs I don't have a ritual, I only do the trick and put the rare card face down on the table (I also don't look at the code). I do this because if it is a GX I would see the silver of the card and it would not be exciting.

If I open a booster box, I do the following things:

1. Open the pack 1.
2. Make 5 piles of cards: common, uncommon, reverse, rare, code card.
3. Look at the energy.
4. Open pack 2 and do the same.
5. and so on....
6. At the end, I have a really big pile of commons, a big pile of uncommons, and a pile of reverse wich is as big as the pile of rares.
Then, I look at the commons, uncommons, reverse cards and finally the rares, hopefully with some good GXs in it!

I tap each pack five times in quick succession on the corner of the table.

There's a reason for this, haha. My league leader's claim to fame in Pokémon is that he once pulled seven Primes out of seven consecutive unweighed HGSS-era packs, and since then no one has seen fit to argue with his luck. He can often make money simply by opening packs, and he always at least breaks even.

Once, I asked him how he does it, and he said "Just tap it five times." So I bought a pack, tapped it five times, and of course didn't pull a thing. His response was that obviously I wouldn't get anything; he had to be the one to pick the pack from the box. So I tried again, having him pick the pack. Naturally, an Ultra Rare ensued (though at this point I forget what it was; I'm fairly certain it wasn't playable though).

So yeah, I've pretty much stopped arguing with his luck. If it works, it works. All I know is that I can only pull Leles when he's the one picking the packs. He just sort of runs his fingertips down the line of packs, not looking at them, until he settles on one, and chooses it. He never goes back on it, weirdly enough; I've never seen him put a chosen pack back in the box.

Anywho, that's my ritual: only open packs chosen by the league leader, and always tap 'em five times on the table. Though there was this one guy at league once who licked all his packs before opening them –– no idea where that came from, but he did pull a FA Lycanroc-GX off the one pack he bought to prove it.

Okay, I tried it out yesterday and pulled Wishiwashi GX and Metagross GX in two packs. It works somehow...

I start off by making sure my hands are clean. After that, I clean them again. After I make sure my hands are as dry and sterile as humanly possible, I make sure I have my sleeves with me.

After that, I grab the headphones and turn on the Lucky Channel tune from Gold/Silver/Crystal. And I open my packs. Today I did this and got a Shining Mew, so I must be doing something right. It looks like I got one in pretty good shape too. I like playing the tune, it sort of adds to the feeling of "luck" or something like that. That and it's catchy as all hell.

I used to many things, such as doing the Konami code before opening my packs, back in 2014. It changes quite often though.

My friend and I always open packs together, never alone. We open the same pack art and always 2 packs at the same time. We always have to have a cup of tea available to drink at the same time and we always do "clinkies" with the packs before we open them. Clinkies is kind of like when you cheers with drinks.

I won't open any packs until I buy enough packs, dump them all on the floor, and make a "snow angel" out of it.

I recently bought a shining legends fat pack, ahem, bundle, I mean, elite trainer box, and I refuse to open them all up, but instead open one once per 3 days. For any booster pack from any game, I do not like it when I tear the flow wrap. I have to use a small screwdriver to undo the seal at the top of the booster pack.

If I get a main set booster pack, not those special set booster packs, I have to open the packs once every 12 days. I have grouped booster sets into 4 groups depending on when they were released:

Group 1 would be: Sun and Moon, Breakpoint, Primal Clash, XY, Plasma Storm, Next Destinies, Call of Legends, Heartgold Soulsilver, Platinum, Great Encounters.

Group 2 would be: Guardians Rising, Fates Collide, Roaring Skies, Flashfire, Plasma Freeze, Dark Explorers, Black and White, Unleashed, Rising Rivals, Majestic Dawn.

Group 3 would be: Burning Shadows, Steam Siege, Ancient Origins, Furious Fists, Plasma Blast, Dragons Exalted, Emerging Powers, Undaunted, Supreme Victors, Legends Awakened.

Group 4 would be: Evolutions, Breakthrough, Phantom Forces, Legendary Treasures, Boundaries Crossed, Noble Victories, Triumphant, Arceus, Stormfront, Secret Wonders.

The latest set is currently Burning shadows, which is in group 3. The upcoming set, Crimson Invasion, will be in group 4. The set after that will be in group 1, and so on.

My booster opening ritual for main sets are as follows:

I set up my calendar to open pokemon boosters once every 3 days. The other days are reserved for Magic and Yugioh. The cycle goes like this: Pokemon Magic Yugioh Pokemon Magic Magic. I never open more than one pack per day. If the previous day was Yugioh, then the Pokemon packs I open are either from group 2 or group 4, otherwise they are from group 1 or 3. I would open a pack in group 1 only, then 3 days later, open a pack in group 2, and 3 days later, open a pack in group 3, and 3 days later, open a pack in group 4, and the cycle repeats itself. If I do not have any packs from a certain group, I do not open any packs.

Here's a little game for you. Yesterday, I opened a sun and moon pack. How many days from today am I allowed to open an evolutions pack? What booster pack am I allowed to open today? What booster pack am I allowed to open tomorrow?

Back