Discussion What Pokémon Do You Want to See as a GX, and Why?

Alolan Raticate, Sharpedo, Stoutland, and Mudsdale to round out Totems and Ride Pokémon

Also, how about every starter? They are all very popular, and they could be unique ( Steel empoleon, Psychic Delphox, Fighting Torterra)

Still waiting on my M Lopunny EX, much less a Lopunny GX. But I am good with either. I still wanted that Mega Lopunny on a card though.

Alolan Exeggutor-GX (hopefully Grass type!)
Alolan Exeggutor is one of my favorite of the Alolan Formes, Exeggutor already being one of my favorites on top of that. Exeggutor has never really had a super playable card in the past other than Delta Species Exeggutor (EX Holon Phantoms 41), so I think giving Exeggutor a good Grass-Type card would be great and fun. I say Grass-Type because of Dragon-Type Pokémon having ridiculous energy costs quite often. Not sure what kind of attacks it would have, but would be awesome to see full art versions of it.

Sableye-GX
Sableye (Dark Explorers 62) is by far my favorite card. I love Sableye. And he's always got these interesting and annoying but sometimes very good attacks. Just getting a Sableye-GX, even if it's hot trash(alanche), that would sell me completely. Having it be playable, even slightly, would be amazing but the more the merrier.

Trevenant-GX
Trevenant has had 2 very playable cards out of the 4 printed so far, and one semi-playable EX. Everyone knows how good the Trevenant BREAK (BREAKpoint 66) deck was in Standard last season and how good it still is in Expanded. The new Poltergeist Trevenant (Guardians Rising 7) is pretty good too, and Trevenant-EX (Primal Clash 19, 145) was played a little bit. Trevenant (BREAKpoint 65) was bad, lets be honest. That aside, Trevenant has a history of pretty good cards involving Items. Possibly an Item Lock comeback with a build-in Silent Fear? Tree Slam for an actual good energy cost? Something new? Would be fun.

Wailord-GX
300+ HP... That's all I'm going to say.

Slowking-GX
Slowking gets barely any love! Not many cards are printed, and those that have been printed aren't horribly playable. The holo Slowking (BREAKpoint 21) was played with Seismitoad-EX last season, and no other card of Slowking has been good. I'm choosing not to include Slowking (Neo Genesis 14) because it was horribly translated therefore making it different from other releases of it in different languages, if I'm correct. I also think a Slowking-GX would be very exciting to see, and could seriously be interesting. Probably a bad attack, but a great-phenomenal ability.

*I'll leave Fossil Pokémon as honorable mentions -- Fossil Pokémon are notoriously annoying to get out, without Maxie's/Archie's and that's limited to Water and Fighting type Pokémon. Not to mention how hard it is to get out in Standard. I would love an Archeops-GX, but it would probably be too underwhelming to try and play for the effort it takes.*

Late to the party but I will separate my list into 3 (one general, one for popular picks and one for "niche" choices)

General:
  • Mega Evolution. partly because I like certain designs, party because the games still acknowledge their existence and partly because I am interested to see how they would work in a meta where most pokemon would have to evolve 1-3 times to get to them and if they are able to compensate for this balance. Plus they only didn't showcase them all during the XY/Break eras.
  • Final stages of pokemon that haven't been printed since say Emerging Powers or so. Like Archeops.

Popular choices (note that this also includes more generalizes categories so Legendaries, Mythicals, Starters and Pseudo-legendaries would be there by default) They will have less detail becuase those pokemon tend to already be poplar.
  • Diancie GX. Who doesn't love the carbuncle princess? :p.
  • Meloetta GX (preferably in Pirroette forme). I see potential for this card, especially with Wishiwashi setting a precedent.her nightmarish counterpart would be interesting. And their dynamic might make for some interesting cards.
  • Lucario GX. A Mascot of Gen 4, a prominent Pokemon in the games and fun for Street Fight references.. Lucario but forced. However I'm certain the illusionary aspect would give some appeal.
  • Gallade GX A counterpart to Gardivoir who I admit does not have the same type of ahem, appeal, but is stil la proment pokemon in his own right.
  • Arceus GX, Creator of the Pokemon Universe folks. Plus a connection to another pokemon due to be feature in SM 4 and maybe Sinnoh remakes around 2020.
  • Raquayza GX. Let see. Powerful Mega evolution, interesting design, high prominence to the point where event he Shiny version is iconic in their own right?
  • Magearna GX. I'm sure there's some marketability in being the only Pokemon with an Alola Pokedex number, a GX and an EX
  • Volcarona GX. Well Vocarona is preety powerful in the games.
  • Dragonite GX. Being a Gen 1 pokemonhelps
  • Hydreigon GX. Being a hydra pokemon helps
  • Latios GX. THe Eon dragons are among some of the most poplar and prominent in Hoenn, to the point where you get one with no strings attached in ORAS
  • Latias GX. See above
  • Reshiram GX. See below
  • Zekrom GX. See below
  • Kyurem GX (includes the forms as well). They had been going somwwhat for a push with the Battle arena decks, while all three dragons have quite the interesting backstory that I'm sure would make for some interesting cards and appeal.
  • Victini GX. The pokemon of Victory.
  • Scizor GX, well if Scizor got a Prime and a Mega...
  • Garchomp GX. The Land Shark pokemon, nuff said
  • Gengar GX. Gen 1 pokemon, Mega, inspired some creepy theories, being unique in typing in its debut. This ghost has mass appeal
  • Jirachi GX. The wishmaker themself.
  • Empoleon GX, due to Sinnoh hype (and teasing :p)
  • Torterra GX see above
  • Inferape GX see above
  • Mimikyu GX (The TR one doesn't count). Mimikyu has proven to be a popular pokemon from their debuit and it is rather disheartening that the pokemon doens't get a GX that players around the globe can't use.
  • Aegislash GX: The pokemon is rather infamous for the ability switch froma powerful attacker to a stalwart defender, such a mechanic, like with Meloetta would be interesting to translate to the game. Plus who doesn't love knights?
Niche choices (the less prominent, used, printed or popular pokemon):
  • Cinccino GX. Okay the pokemon's preevolution has been pushed a bit as a secondary mascot of the Unova games, sharing the role with Rockroff and several starters as the first pokemon of the generation you see when starting anew game. The pokemon has proven popular enough to make an appearance in some BW sets (including the base and Legendary Treasures) as well as in Fates Collide. A GX card would make the pokemona bit more potent
  • Blissey GX. Well being Nurse Joy's pokemon of choice up to Unova, the pokemon has an iconic role as a healer. Such a role might be fun to see in the games, espeicly as a GX card, the pokemon might be able to assess potent healing abilities. mayve a revival form the discard pile? an all party cure perhaps, maybe even placing a card to the Prize pool. There is potential with a Blissey GX
  • Clefable GX. Well for starters, the pokemon originates with Kanto, which already gives it an inherent appeal to certain fans, much like other pokemon mentioned on this list. To add the pokemon is the original fairy pokemon, beating out Celebi by a gen, the Lake Guardians by 3 and the entire type by 5 (upon which it got the type itself). THere is something to love about alien pixies
  • Beheeyem GX. Aliens has been a rather popular creatures in fiction, whielt he pokemon inq uest claims to have powerful psychic powers that you find in films like MIB, or UFO abduction stories (minus the "probing" parts. its family friendly franchise for feet's sake)
  • Sigilyth GX. Similar to Beheeyem in weirdness, but going about it differently, being a pokemon designed to protect ancient ruins. With some similarities to Unown in design and theme.
  • Unown GX. Here's the appeal, what happens when a massive amount of Unown combine their Hidden powers? The cards enjoys better treatment in the card games compared to the games because they have more than 1 move/ability here. Why not make an Unown card with Spell of the Unown level power?
  • Ditto GX. Ditto is an interesting pokemon, it has the ability to transform into any other pokemon and there had been cards with similar effect (Memories of Dawn mew for example). While not make a GX that mimics other GXs?
  • Breloom GX. A Poisous musroom pokemon what can puch you until you keel over? Sucha card would have synergy with cards like Seviper, Salazzle, Alolan Muk GX Toxapex GX and in expanded, Virbank. Maybe they can poison the bench? Maybe all their attacks have a chance to poison?
  • Darmanitan GX. Whose doesn't like a fiery King Kong?
  • Houndoom GX. Hellhounds have pretty much high appeal.
  • Archeops GX. Well I'm not sure about kids, but Paleontologist might appreciate this pokemon a lot.
Do I expect them to make ALL these cards, no But I would love to see Diancie, Meloetta and Cinccino GX cards at least as well for the company to try to use less popular pokemon more in general.

Last edited:
After my Chandelure and Arceus suggestions on the third page, I thought of a few more ideas. Honestly, a lot of the reasons for what I want to see are simply from remembering previous cards and thinking about how much I liked them or wishing they had seen play because they were interesting or had potential.

Gengar GX could be neat. There have been so many Gengar cards that have been interesting. I think since it's typically depicted as a prankster, maybe making a card where you're essentially playing your own meta game could be fun. The biggest thing that comes to mind is Gengar Prime. I'm sure the Lost Zone was just a one-time thing, but it's so intriguing. An Ability where whenever an opponent's Pokemon is KO'd while Gengar's active, that Pokemon (but not the cards attached to it) are sent to the Lost Zone. Maybe an attack to spread damage or at least deal significant--but not heavy--damage to both the Active Pokemon and a benched Pokemon. A GX attack that sends a certain amount of cards in your opponent's hand to the Lost Zone. In a format that actually uses the discard pile as a mechanic and relies on it, something like this could be devastating. Another Gengar that comes to mind is the Poltergeist one. The only thought for mentioning this is because when you played that, your opponent had to play differently because of the consequences that could happen if you didn't (or couldn't) play smart against it. (So like the Tashalanche Garbodor, in a sense.)

Scizor GX because all Scizor cards tend to punish your opponent for playing certain types of cards, either by preventing damage to itself (usually from your opponent's Pokemon that have Special Energy attached) or hitting hard against the heavy hitters (like EX's and GX's). You need a strategy to get around Scizor. Or play Fire, I guess. Ha ha. I loved Scizor Prime when I first started going to tournaments, and even though it was only big for a hot second, I loved seeing Scizor EX and Mega Scizor EX become a legit deck recently.

Hydreigon GX and Volcarona GX. Paired these together because I can't help but notice that both of these Pokemon have either had really awesome Abilities or attacks, but they never saw any play (or very little play). This is just off the top of my head, but Hydreigon is classified as the Brutal Pokemon, so why not make it a heavy hitter while having an Ability that supports itself like making all energies attached to it Darkness energies or giving it a boost in damage based on something your opponent has in play? Maybe Volcarona could play off of the Burn status condition with an Ability, like burn inflicting more damage and/or your opponent can't retreat burned Pokemon. The attack would do however amount of damage, but would also inflict burn. And I've noticed a few Volcarona cards have awesome set up attacks. Maybe the GX attack would be along the lines of Ho-oh GX or Solgaleo GX or a balanced combination.

WPM mentioning Kabutops GX makes me think about the fossils from the Arceus set. I love those cards' synergy! If the fossil mechanic could be fixed in Sun and Moon, I would love to see that synergy return! Kabutops was the early heavy hitter while discarding fossil Trainer cards, so that could be the GX out of these three. Omastar was the late game heavy hitter after you had so many fossils in the discard pile. And Aerodactyl searched out the fossils from your deck. Even Kabuto and Omanyte had their uses! Though, the Kabuto and Omanyte from Majestic Dawn had helpful Poke-Powers, as well.

That's all I have. I wanted to come up with interesting ideas (even if they've already been used), rather than just listing Pokemon.

Last edited:
You know, if you're going to list off some of your favorite GX candidates, why not list off their GX attacks as well?

Goodra GX:
(W)(Y)(C) Slippery Swap GX 180
Before doing damage, switch your opponent's Actively Pokémon with one of his or her Benched Pokémon. Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon and move all Energy from this Pokémon to your new Active Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Alakazam GX:
(P)(P) Mental Madness GX
Discard all energy attached to this Pokémon. Put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokémon for each damage counter on that Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Vanilluxe GX:
(W)(W)(C) Cryo-Freeze GX 100
Your opponent can't play any cards during your opponent's next turn. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Goodra GX still needs a print.
(Feel free to balance my attacks if they are too over/under powered.)

Parasect GX. I remember an episode with him trying to overcome a challenge and when he did he evolved, it was a cool episode!

I want to see a Serperior-GX badly. I was introduced into the franchise when Black and White came out, and I picked Snivy as my "card starter" from the Promo Blisters at the time. They'll always be in my favorites! I'd love to see it as a GX because throughout the entirety of BW and XY, Serperior was never printed as an EX or BREAK Pokemon. Plus, as a GX, it means I would be able to play Snivys and Servines in a deck, too!

The set could be jungle/rainforest themed, based off of Grass Type, as well as Dark and Pyschic type, Pokemon. This would make sense because Burning Shadows was fire themed and features Charizard.

The main four GX's would be:

Venusaur GX
Tapu Balu GX
Gengar GX
Chandelure GX

Additional GX's would be:

Chesnaught GX
Trevenant GX
Alolan Exeggutor GX
Nidoking GX
Nidoqueen GX
Dhelmise GX (the card art would be awesome)

Nidoking/Nidoqueen GX would both have a GX attack that requires one colorless energy which does 90 damage times the number of either Nidoking GX or Nidoqueen GX on the players bench, depending on if the active Pokemon is a Nidoking or Nidoqueen. If it is a Nidoking, a Nidoqueen is required. If it is a Nidoqueen, a Nidoking is required for this GX attack. It's regular attack would require two physic energies and one colorless energy. It would do 80 damage and paralyze the opponent's active Pokemon if they got heads after flipping a coin.

They would also both have an ability which would allow the player to draw a card after attaching an energy.

Personally, I would really like a Meowstic GX. Meowstic is a fan favorite in Japan and with Game Freak (and mine too); However, all of their cards are heavily outclassed by other pokemon -- especially its terrible practically unplayable EX card.

I actually had come up with a fake set for fun that involved a Meowstic line with unique abilities involving the discard pile.

Espurr – Psychic – HP50
Basic Pokemon

Leaking Power: Once during your turn, if this pokemon is in the discard pile, you may discard a card and search for two basic energy cards. If knocked out during your opponent's last turn, you may instead search for one special energy card.

[P][C] Gravity: 40 Damage. You may flip a coin, if heads, the defending pokemon is now Paralyzed. If tails, Espurr deals 20 damage to itself.

Meowstic – Psychic – HP100
Stage 1 Pokemon

Imprison: If this pokemon is in your discard pile, you may choose an ability in play. That ability cannot be used until your next turn. You cannot use more than one of this ability during your turn.

[P][P] Energy Burn: 50 Damage. Flip a coin, if heads, choose an energy attached to your opponent's pokemon and discard it.

Meowstic GX – Psychic – HP180
Stage 1 Pokemon

Miracle Eye: For each of your Espurr and Meowstic in the discard pile, This Pokemon may deal 20 more damage. Meowstic GX may use the attacks of those Pokemon. You still need the required energy to use these attacks.

[P][P] Psyshock: 70 Damage. Ignore effects on your opponent's active Pokemon that would prevent damage.

[P][P][C] Prankster GX: 120 Damage. Choose 2 of your opponent's Pokemon. Your opponent shuffles all cards attached to these Pokemon back into their deck.

Luxray-GX for sure. The issue is that it seems to have a role in the 20th Movie, and it's for sure not gonna be in SM3+ (seems to all be legendary GX's, I would guess anyways) or SM4 (slots all taken by the 7 UBs and Silvally-GX, I would guess anyways), so it would kinda be odd for them to wait till October at the earliest to promote a Pokemon they're putting in the movie. So realistically, if they just wanna go for a cool-looking Pokemon that's marketable, Greninja-GX or potentially Ash-Greninja-GX is a must-have at some point. I am hoping they reintroduce Mega Evolutions at some point and have them work as a Stage 3 of sorts (yeah I know it sounds bad but they'd be super strong I'm assuming) and they could have Ash-Greninja-GX be a Mega GX in the same vein that the Primals were "Megas".

Guys, we need to send a PCI admin over here ASAP
We do not need a Wailord GX. It is possible, but really Wailord is taking all the credit for having high HP, but the highest goes to Blissey by far. Blissey has had 120 and 160 HP, while Wailord has had 220. Give Blissey some love!
Also, I agree with having less popular Pokémon in GX's.
Honchkrow GX? (Screaming for a GX attack putting Stage 2's on the bench)
Cinccino GX was a good one.
Meganium GX hasn't seen an EX or GX.
The Meowstic GX was a really good suggestion, no playable cards featuring Meowstic.

We need seemingly random Pokémon to join the fight. Hold on, I'm going to pull a random card from my collection...
Golduck GX!
Slowbro GX!
The hitmons!
Gliscor GX!
Slurpuff GX!
Heiliolisk GX!
All really good candidates, yesterday not seeing any love.
When's the last time Gliscor was playable? Heliolisk? Slurpuff? We're the Hitmons ever playable?
We need less popular Pokémon to become GX's and actually have potential like all Pokémon should have potential.

Well, if they want to keep continuing the Gen 2 hype, I'd say either Tyranitar, Politoed, or Ampharos GX would be a safe bet and fairly popular with the kiddies. I think they're all pretty popular among fans in general, and hey, Politoed would probably go nice with the support Water has been getting.

As for newer Pokemon, Barbaracle is actually a pretty overlooked fan favorite in my opinion. I think either Fighting or Water would work well for it, and I can see some pretty creative mechanics that could come from it in general.

Mega Evolution should really have a comeback, as it hasn't since around Roaring Skies. I'm talking to you, Mega Ray.
Megas should have:
Around 280 HP for a Stage 3. (Around)
Two attacks, one regular, one GX.
A GX attack that should last beyond just one turn.
But still, a Goodra-GX is needed. All in agreement, like this post.

Last edited:
Mega Evolution should really have a comeback, as it hasn't since around Roaring Skies. I'm talking to you, Mega Ray.
Megas should have:
Around 280 HP for a Stage 3. (Around)
Two attacks, one regular, one GX.
A GX attack that should last beyond just one turn.
But still, a Goodra-GX is needed. All in agreement, like this post.
I am 100% for a Goodra GX. One of my all time favorite pokemon.
I am also for Megas staying around. I just want them more balanced. Some of them like Mewtwo Y are honestly ridiculous.

1. Raichu GX: I feel like I see this request everywhere, especially with Alolan Raichu I think this would be a fantastic idea. It's a fan favourite for sure, lots of selling power.

2. Braviary GX: Not a pokemon I feel gets a lot of love but definitely cool and strong enough to be a GX. I don't feel like it's ever had a real presence in the TCG.

3. Tyrantrum GX: Very cool pokemon, dinos are in at the moment and appeal to kids massively. Also it's dragon type which doesn't get a whole load of love in the TCG.

4. Wailord GX: I want to see the first 250+ HP pokemon!! Make it a jugganaught!! Popular in the TCG.

Bonus: Kabutops. Purely selfish reasons but this is a very cool pokemon we see far too rarely. I'd love this in the format no matter GX or not tbh!!

P.S Thanks to the Poke team and Pokebeach for doing this, very awesome of you guys.

1. Raichu GX: I feel like I see this request everywhere, especially with Alolan Raichu I think this would be a fantastic idea. It's a fan favourite for sure, lots of selling power.

2. Braviary GX: Not a pokemon I feel gets a lot of love but definitely cool and strong enough to be a GX. I don't feel like it's ever had a real presence in the TCG.

3. Tyrantrum GX: Very cool pokemon, dinos are in at the moment and appeal to kids massively. Also it's dragon type which doesn't get a whole load of love in the TCG.

4. Wailord GX: I want to see the first 250+ HP pokemon!! Make it a jugganaught!! Popular in the TCG.

Bonus: Kabutops. Purely selfish reasons but this is a very cool pokemon we see far too rarely. I'd love this in the format no matter GX or not tbh!!

P.S Thanks to the Poke team and Pokebeach for doing this, very awesome of you guys.
Wailord has too much HP in the cards compared to its stats in the game. Blissey could fill the role of a 270 HP Pokémon.
Muscle dumbells say hi.

Wailord has too much HP in the cards compared to its stats in the game. Blissey could fill the role of a 270 HP Pokémon.
Muscle dumbells say hi.

Blissy with 250+ HP in the TCG would just look silly and out of place. It makes sense for Wailord to have high HP, it's like the largest pokemon.

Not to mention Blissey isn't even close to fan favourite status.

Back