Discussion What Deck Will Win Worlds 2017?

kyel

Aspiring Trainer
I'm curious to see if there's anyone else out here for predictions on the Top 8 of the World Championships, as well as the winner.

The Top 8 I think is gonna include (obviously) Drampa/Espeon Garbodor, Decidueye/Golisopod, Gardevoir, Darkrai EX/GX, Volcanion, and Tapu Koko. Maybe Tapu Bulu? I think that deck has a lot of potential, and can do well against a few of the other top decks.

Personally, I think that Tapu Koko is gonna win worlds. It's getting so much support to fit its theme with Burning Shadows. Acerola and SSU are insanely strong within the deck, and gives it a lot of extra support.

I'm also just a fanboy and really liked the deck idea, so it's what I've been playing in standard :)

I don't think Tapu Koko has the kilometers to win Worlds, it won't get enough play-testing with the new cards. However, having SSU and Acerola will make it a top tier threat next format.

Koko won't win worlds. It's too easy to hit OHKO range on it which negates the Acerola/SSU factor and 130 base falls a little short of hitting the magic 180 with choice band. I had a lot of faith in the card with Guardians and have a lot of fun playing the expanded version of the deck, but it just ain't gonna cut it.

Gardevoir is easily the biggest threat in the format just from a numbers on the card perspective, but everyone's going to go in knowing that. Metagross handles Gardevoir but Metagross has to worry about several bad matchups including Vespiquen, Espeon/Garb and Volcanion-EX.

Also let's not forget about Vespiquen. This is the deck's last gasp in standard but it has been scoring a very disproportionate number of wins compared to how few people play it this season, including notable wins in the PRC-GRI meta.

I'm almost sure we'll see a Gardevoir, Metagross, Espeon/Garb, Zoroark BREAK, Vespiquen, Volcanion and Golisopod deck in top 16, probably a Greninja BREAK as well. Top 8 depends more on what kind of matchups we end up with, could see all of the Metagross get paired against Volcanion then the Garde players taking top 8 by storm. Or it could be the opposite, all of the Garde players get stuck with Metagross matchups then Volcanion or one of the Flareon AOR decks gets easy match ups in top 8.

After last year, you might as well click the random button on Bulbapedia until you get a standard-legal card and say "this one" and be more accurate than anyone in this thread.

As much as I wish it was M-Rayquaza I know it won't be. Shame really, since it's among my favorite decks.

Who knows. I think it's going to be a game of rock-paper-scissors between Gardy, Metagross, and Volcanion. I'm guessing Volcanion. I wouldn't be shocked if someone runs hot with Greninja and gets close. Aside from its obvious dead draw potential it has decent match ups against all 3 of these decks.

Nah it's gonna be LTC/Archeops/FoGP/Slowking/Sneasel/_____'s Pikachu/Ancient Mew/Imakuni's Doduo

Not on turn 2 or 3 though. Garden doesn't sound too powerful in beginning of game so you gotta get Vikavolt turn 2 to have a chance.

If anyone thinks that Golisopod will make it to TOP 16 with Volcanian/Ho-oh decks being so good right now, you're insane. Not to mention that Golisopod has WORSE match-ups in this format compared to next format because of its heavy item use (VS Seeker for Guzma [if you are playing lysandre over guzma in that deck right now, god help you] Switch/Esape Rope cards). It's Garb match-up is really bad. It has a bad Plume match-up (see bad Garb match-up reasons above). It's got a bad match-up against Mega-Ray. Zoroark BREAK can go even/ahead in the match-up. It's only two wins will be against Darkrai (Maybe) and VikaBulu (Again, a strong Maybe). Even after rotation, the deck is lucky if it makes it out of Tier 3 into Tier 2.

I think we can all agree the best deck right now is Gardevoir, the worst matchup for it is Metagross, and even then you can easily win if you outspeed it

I think we can all agree the best deck right now is Gardevoir, the worst matchup for it is Metagross, and even then you can easily win if you outspeed it

I can confidently say I disagree with this entire statement.
-I don't think Gardevoir will be the best deck for worlds (It doesn't have the kilometers other decks do, and that Metagross match-up ... ew.) I'm not saying it's bad, It's actually very strong, It's just not the best.
-Gardevoir will have a hard time taking one shots on Metagross, and Metagross will easily take OHKOs on Gardevoir. The trade-off just isn't in your favor here.

I smell personal bias given how confident you are in your "argument."

There's really not a bias, just from a numbers on the card perspective Garde is the best (two prize) card in the game right now. It's that good. There is no card that builds up to the damage numbers it does as fast as it does.

Garde can win against Metagross but I wouldn't say 'easily', you win if you get way better draws than he does and more importantly move first. That's kind of true for every stage 2 v stage 2 matchup (FOGP aside) though imo. There's always the danger of having a really bad first two turns and just losing terribly. We didn't listen when Greninja players whined about it before but now that there are multiple stage 2 decks we're going to see some of the pitfalls of a more evolution heavy meta.

Gardevoir will win worlds for the same reason why Darkrai won worlds in 2013. It has good match-ups into everything, and the one bad match-up is winnable. You have to look at this from a numbers perspective.

Majority Decks:
Gardevoir
Garbodor
Ninetales (with/without Owl)
Metagross GX

Underdog Decks:
Fire
Darkrai
Golisopod
M-Ray
Zoroark BREAK
Greninja BREAK

Gardevoir has a winning match-up into every one of the decks listed save Metagross GX and maybe Greninja BREAK (not to familiar with that matchup).
Now you know a majority of people will play Garbodor after it won Internationals, and you know people are FOTM Ninietails becuase of its success at Internationals. Not to mention the Gardevoir Hype. So i'd say about 66% of the worlds decks are those three decks. Metagross GX, being the counter to the three, will be around 14% of the worlds decks. The last 20% being the underdog decks. (Mind you this is all speculation) So if Gardevoir wins the matchups against everything expect say 15.2% of the decks there, that means that 84.8% of the games Gardevoir plays, it should win. So unless the amount of Metagross players jumps up drastically, Gardevoir has the best chance of winning worlds.

In order of how the decks will place
Gardevoir GX
Garbodor
Metagross
Ninetails
Zoroark Break
Fire
Darkrai
Greninja BREAK
M-Ray
Golisopod.
(Maybe some changes below Ninetales, but the top four are locked)

Archie's Blastoise. :D

On a serious note, I think it's gonna be tought to call it. There's to many decks and unknowns with Burning shadows coming out. Maybe some sleeper will make it like Mega Audino did last year.

Back