What Can Be Done to Improve PokeBeach Forums?

Lucky Fire said:
Yes, I know, but what if there was another 'discussion' forum for ____ Discussion threads? (Such as, the SSB discussion thread.)

It might prove effective. If not, then oh well, at least I tried.

...This totally sounds redundant (and thus unnecessary). Real World/Happy Area are good enough for this sort of thing.

I think our posts should count for The Happy Area. A lot of the time people post in-depth, highly valuable posts that contribute to the forums. In fact, a lot of the posts in The Happy Area are as good or better than the posts in other threads in The Real World itself. Plus, The Happy Area isn't just a place to spam and troll, it's a place to build on ideas and opinions.

Meatheart said:
I think our posts should count for The Happy Area. A lot of the time people post in-depth, highly valuable posts that contribute to the forums. In fact, a lot of the posts in The Happy Area are as good or better than the posts in other threads in The Real World itself. Plus, The Happy Area isn't just a place to spam and troll, it's a place to build on ideas and opinions.

What difference would that make? Post count is a trivial marker to go by, especially when most posts in The Happy Area aren't relevant anywhere else on the forums.

Incinermyn said:
Meatheart said:

What difference would that make? Post count is a trivial marker to go by, especially when most posts in The Happy Area aren't relevant anywhere else on the forums.

I know post count is trivial, but I'm sure everyone on these forums would like having more posts in their count. Sure they aren't relevant in anywhere else on the forums, but they're still good posts.

I know post count is trivial, but I'm sure everyone on these forums would like having more posts in their count.
I don't.

I actually like Happy Area not counting posts.

Meatheart said:
I think our posts should count for The Happy Area.

Let me make this perfectly clear:

No.

Here's why: If you care about postcount++, you are a noob. We don't like noobs, we like smart users who enjoy a good discussion and don't really care about how many times they've posted on the forums.

It'll never happen. Accept the forum for what it is and be happy it exists.

If, however, you feel that a thread in that forum deserves to be moved into a different forum, PM me (and by me, I mean me and not [any other moderator]) and make your case. If I agree with you, then I'll move it, and you'll get your precious posts. Seem fair?

Yeah, arguing about post count being trivial or not isn't productive. Perhaps if posts looked more like this

bacon said:
I have many, but I'm curious to know if anyone has played the following game.

Phantasy Star Online (Episodes I and II)

Alright, so PSO is an online RPG that debuted way back in the Dreamcast era, and was later released on the Gamecube a few years later. It's a standard "level up and collect rare items" affair. You can pick different classes and races of character, customise their appearance slightly, and have access to 4 difficultly levels. You trudge around 8 different levels killing enemies and collecting the items they drop, so you can power your character up even more.

I'm reluctant to call PSO a good game. It's repetitive and sometimes clunky. But it's absurdly addictive. This is a game that I have spent +400 hours on, making it hands down my most played game ever. What's even more fascinating is that I played all of this in the inferior Offline mode, when PSO was a game designed to be played Online. I usually played with my brother and it was often a competition between us to see who could get the best rare items.

There are... a lot of rare items.

I have about 10% of them.

and less like this

juunkmilk said:
I like taft because he is not afraid of anything!
✌☹✌

Then I think that counting those posts would be an excellent idea. However, having long and thought-out posts kinda defeats the purpose of that forum, lol. PMJ has a good point, too.

PMJ said:
Meatheart said:
I think our posts should count for The Happy Area.

Let me make this perfectly clear:

No.

Here's why: If you care about postcount++, you are a noob. We don't like noobs, we like smart users who enjoy a good discussion and don't really care about how many times they've posted on the forums.

It'll never happen. Accept the forum for what it is and be happy it exists.

If, however, you feel that a thread in that forum deserves to be moved into a different forum, PM me (and by me, I mean me and not [any other moderator]) and make your case. If I agree with you, then I'll move it, and you'll get your precious posts. Seem fair?
I never said I wasn't a noob, yo. I'm fine with it not being counted, I just figured "Why not suggest it?"
I can dig having you move them if it seems fit.

I'd rather delete all the Game Corner posts that were counted- they shouldn't have been.

And this is why I still have 1,000 posts. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhy ;_;

Meatheart said:
Incinermyn said:

I know post count is trivial, but I'm sure everyone on these forums would like having more posts in their count. Sure they aren't relevant in anywhere else on the forums, but they're still good posts.

I've written novel-length fanfics more worthwhile than half of the posts most people made on the forums in general, and those don't account for even half the total posts I've made in the few years I've been here. There's just no point in whining over your post count, since it doesn't actually mean anything unless you're making every single post count (which is pretty monotonous if you're basically making quick notes about things like I do most of the time). Like PMJ said, it's just not going to happen.

Incinermyn said:
Meatheart said:

I've written novel-length fanfics more worthwhile than half of the posts most people made on the forums in general, and those don't account for even half the total posts I've made in the few years I've been here. There's just no point in whining over your post count, since it doesn't actually mean anything unless you're making every single post count (which is pretty monotonous if you're basically making quick notes about things like I do most of the time). Like PMJ said, it's just not going to happen.
I never whined about post count. Whining would entail me telling PMJ I was really angry I couldn't have more posts and how he needs to fix it. I simply asked if it was possible.

Having post count disabled was part of the conditions that we agreed on when we made the area. Generally not a lot of discussion value comes from these types of threads; this simply gives a place where you can put those kind of topics. Its not like anyone would pass up dmaster or myself in postcount anyway.

alexmf2 said:
Could we maybe change the smilies? They just look kinda weird to me.
I don't like the smileys much either. It'd be great to get the stereotypical ones.
I.e, ,
black-and-white-sad-face-md.png
I have a thing for stereotypical emoticons. It doesn't really matter and if KA doesn't want to then that's fine.

The Like button is a nice addition, but I think that where it says who liked it is very large an in the way almost. It should be small and off to the side, IMO. I don't know if there is control over where it appears, though. I think it should be kinda like where the links in my signature are but is size x-small or something, maybe a drop-down menu or a hover over thing like a box that says "# people like this" or "users who like this" then when you hover over it has the list of users.Maybe something like on Hatena Haiku where you can highlight something then star(similar to liking) and if thy check the name of who like it, it'll quote what part they liked(But it still allows a general like with no highlighting). Just some ideas.

^ I really like those ideas.

edit: Awkward because I totally just forgot I could like the post.

We already had the dorpdown thing, it's really ankward. As I said before it should be just shortened to:

Back