Pokemon Weird Pokémon Sprites and Colours

Spr_FRLG_Swimmer_M.png

FRLG male swimmer trainer always looked like he had his tongue hanging out to me.

I mean I didn't need to feel any more uncomfortable when a half naked man with aeroplane arms emerges from the depths of the sea and fixes me with a gaze so compelling that I have no choice but to battle his armada of hopeless jellyfish, but thanks anyway game.

Spr_4p_435.png

For the longest time, I could honestly not tell which side was the face of Skuntank. Since when is the face on the right?

PyroKinesis said:
Spr_4p_435.png

For the longest time, I could honestly not tell which side was the face of Skuntank. Since when is the face on the right?

Since when to Skunks spray from the tip of their tail? Skuntank's fan must stink!

Sorry, I have no pictures, but you can look at the sprites on another website if you want to.

During the time of Pokemon Yellow, the Pokemon designs were nearly finalized, but colors were not entirely complete until the GBA came out.

Some noticeable color changes:
Mewtwo and Mew were yellow with an orange glow (which looks pretty cool to me.)
Butterfree was bright blue with a black torso.
Pikachu was white with yellow highlighted areas.
Oddish was green, while its evolutions were red.
The Bellsprout line was a lime color.
Dragonite was brown.
Slowbro's Shellder shell is pink.
Many Pokemon were unnecessarily turned dull green: Ditto, the Rattata line, the Magnemite line, Tauros, the Geodude line, Eevee, Porygon, Aerodactyl, the Machop line, Starmie, the Cubone line, the Rhyhorn line, Dratini, and Onix.
Omanyte and Omastar's shells were blue.
Although not a color change, The 95% of Gastly's body that is made of gas is wispy, making it look like a purple flaming orb.

How has no one brought up this monstrosity?
Spr_1b_042.png
Even better is available fan art...
evil_golbat_by_lord_phillock-d2y9jff.png

By lord-phillock on deviantART.

GarbodorLover said:
Sorry, I have no pictures, but you can look at the sprites on another website if you want to.

During the time of Pokemon Yellow, the Pokemon designs were nearly finalized, but colors were not entirely complete until the GBA came out.

Some noticeable color changes:
Mewtwo and Mew were yellow with an orange glow (which looks pretty cool to me.)
Butterfree was bright blue with a black torso.
Pikachu was white with yellow highlighted areas.
Oddish was green, while its evolutions were red.
The Bellsprout line was a lime color.
Dragonite was brown.
Slowbro's Shellder shell is pink.
Many Pokemon were unnecessarily turned dull green: Ditto, the Rattata line, the Magnemite line, Tauros, the Geodude line, Eevee, Porygon, Aerodactyl, the Machop line, Starmie, the Cubone line, the Rhyhorn line, Dratini, and Onix.
Omanyte and Omastar's shells were blue.
Although not a color change, The 95% of Gastly's body that is made of gas is wispy, making it look like a purple flaming orb.
Most of the colors you described were not due to incomplete designs, but rather hardware limitations. Pokémon Yellow could be utilized by the GBC but it wasn't designed for it as GSC were, so the color palette was extremely limited (overall and on each individual sprite).

Pikachu being white, for instance, was a way to show off lighting (the yellow parts were shadows), as well as the fact it was a lighter color than Raichu (which uses a yellow color with its darker parts orange/brown).

Gloom and Vileplume being red was a way to show the colors of their flowers, and again, due to the limited palette, resulted in their bodies becoming the same color.

The same thing can be said for Slowbro's "Shellder tail" -- each individual sprite could hold only so many colors, so the Pokémon's primary color was the color chosen.

The "dull green" color you describe was actually used appropriately in many cases you list (Machop line, Geodude line, Magnemite line, Onix, Rhyhorn line, Aerodactyl, etc.) as there was no better alternative to gray in the Yellow color palette. I will concede that it was strange to use the color for Starmie, Ditto, Porygon, and Dratini though!

CMP said:
How has no one brought up this monstrosity?
Spr_1b_042.png
Even better is available fan art...
evil_golbat_by_lord_phillock-d2y9jff.png

By lord-phillock on deviantART.

That is so creepy! >o<

Speaking of gen 1
Spr_1b_109.png
109.png

Koffing turned upside down!

Jumping to gen 2!
Spr_2g_006_s.png
Spr_4h_006_s.png

Charizards shiny sprite went from purple and green, to black and red.

Spr_2g_215.png
Spr_4h_215_m.png

I honestly prefer Sneasels Gold/Silver colours..

Spr_2g_182.png
(normal)
Spr_2g_182_s.png
(shiny)

Spr_5b_182.png
Spr_5b_182_s.png

Bellossom has changed colours through the years as well :)

It's been quite a while since anybody has posted on this thread, so I decided to post to give this thread more attention. Like the last time I posted here, I don't have any pictures of the sprites, but you can look them up yourselves if you want to.

- In Slowpoke's Yellow sprite, the tip of its tail is the same color as the rest of its tail.

- Zubat's Colosseum/XD sprite just looks... ugly. It's colors are way brighter than normal, the inside of its mouth is a gross pale pink, and it doesn't help that the GameCube's hardware limitations makes it look semi-polygonal.

- Jynx's eyes are way too big in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

- Shiny Lanturn has always been depicted as being light purple, but in Gen 6 it is just a slightly different shade of blue than a normal Lanturn.

- Wailord's Gen 4 backsprite just looks like a blue lump with a white spot on it.

- In Gold and Silver, Unown has a neon green outline.

- What is wrong with Crobat's teeth in Battle Revolution?!

Last edited:
Spr_2c_250.gif Spr_3e_250.gif
Ho-Oh's beak, tail, and crest went from white to gold, and the lower part of it's body went from red to white.

139.png 139-1.png 139-2.png 139-3.png 139-4.png
Omastar: Dancing through time.

174-1.png174.png
What's different here?

134.png 134-1.png 134-2.png
Vaporeon had spike-type things of the back of it's legs in green, but they got smaller in Red/Blue, and disappeared completely in Yellow and every game after.

- In the Gen V games, Ferrothorn's position is strange. It sorta makes sense, as it's Pokedex entries say it hangs from the roofs of caves. However, since no battle backgrounds show roofs, it just looks like it's floating while holding its "arms" up.

- In Yellow, and Silver, Starmie is laying on its back rather than standing up.

- Despite almost all of Haunter's sprites showing its hands glowing, they strangely do not glow in HGSS and Gen 6.

- Rattata's Ruby and Sapphire sprites shows it standing on two legs.

- In Gen 2, Pineco and Forretress's sprites are so dark that it looks like they're standing in a shadow.

In Generation VI, the feather on Gulpin's head is the same color whether it's regular or Shiny. But in previous generations, didn't Shiny Gulpin have a red feather on its head?

And I saw that Sneasel's original coloration was mentioned here. I'd actually like to see that return as some sort of variant Sneasel somehow, it's not that bad.

- Why is Genesect shiny in Battle Trozei? Does it have something to do with the 16th movie?

- Gen 1 is infamous for its bad sprites, but there's on terrible sprite that nobody seems to talk about. In Red and Green, Kabuto is shown from a top view, hiding its eyes.

- In Generations 3 and 4, Luvdisc was pinkish-orange instead of bright pink.

- Voltorb and Electrode were yellow instead of red in Gen 1.

Spr_2g_001_s.png Spr_3r_001_s.png 001.png 001.gif 001-1.gif
Shiny Bulbasaur went from the same shade of Green throughout to a Dark shade of green for the body and an even darker shade of green for the bulb in gens III - V, before returning to the original palette around 17 years later in gen VI.

132.png
Poor Ditto, someone stepped on him right before he was supposed to go into Pokemon gold.

004.gif 004.png 004-1.gif 004-2.gif
Shiny Charmander has been a slightly different shade of Gold in every generation [It only repeated in Gen 4-5]

- In Battle Trozei, Linoone is gray instead of brown.

- In Gen 6, Skarmory, Tropius, Swellow, Xatu, and Mega Pidgeot all mysteriously hover above the ground without flapping their wings.

- Haunter's Red and Blue backsprite looks like a giant spikeball.

- Why is Genesect shiny in Battle Trozei? Does it have something to do with the 16th movie?
I'd bet on that being the reason.

- Gen 1 is infamous for its bad sprites, but there's on terrible sprite that nobody seems to talk about. In Red and Green, Kabuto is shown from a top view, hiding its eyes.
How is that bad? The two spots on the back of its shell are eyes as well, y'know. I actually regard Kabuto's Red/Blue sprite as one of the better Generation I sprites.

- In Gen 6, Skarmory, Tropius, Swellow, Xatu, and Mega Pidgeot all mysteriously hover above the ground without flapping their wings.
They're just gliding. Birds do it IRL all the time.

Missingno. Master said:
How is that bad? The two spots on the back of its shell are eyes as well, y'know. I actually regard Kabuto's Red/Blue sprite as one of the better Generation I sprites.
While the sprite is very good, I do feel the need to point out that the eyes on the top of Kabuto's shell are fake.

They're just gliding. Birds do it IRL all the time.

While the sprite is very good, I do feel the need to point out that the eyes on the top of Kabuto's shell are fake.

What you said made me think...I was going to say that it could be other set of eyes but since Kabutops only has two eyes, Kabuto probably has only two. Kabuto is just Anorith inversed (anorith having red "eyes" but being fake). That said, Kabuto's fake eyes may actually be holes!
Still about fake eyes, it's the same with Cradily, with its eyes being what look like a pair of teeth at first sight and it did took me a while to figure it out and only after seeing Lileep!

The Pokédex would disagree with you on that. Kabuto's Yellow Version dex entry reads; A Pokémon that was recovered from a fossil. It uses the eyes on its back while hiding on the sea floor.

And its Crystal Version dex entry reads; Three hundred million years ago, it hid on the sea floor. It also has eyes on its back that glow.

Not only do these tell us that the eyes on top of its shell are real, but Crystal also strongly implies that those aren't its only eyes, meaning that the red ones we usually see are real as well.

Back