Pokemon Weird Pokémon Sprites and Colours

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
This also applies to XY animations.

Have you ever noticed one generation makes a certain Pokémon look odd, or perhaps the colours are different?

Well, I've noticed that Machamp is green instead of grey, in Gen 3 games.
Spr_3f_068.png
Spr_4p_068.png
I know that its sprite is green-ish in Yellow, but that's because of pallet limitations and the fact that they were still experimenting with colours then. In Gen 3 games, the shade of green is completely different and unlike the yellow and greens from before.
Spr_1y_068.png
Spr_2s_068.png

In gens 3 and 4, Lileep's tentacles were Orange instead of Purple.
Spr_4d_345.png
Spr_5b_345.png

For some reason, Beautifly is very pale in gen 3 games.
Spr_3r_267.png
Spr_4p_267_m.png

Silcoon and Cascoon don't have the limb things in HGSS overworld, or in XY.
silcoon.gif
Spr_4p_268.png

When posting, please include pictures of the sprites/models in question, and give reasoning to your answers! ~Athena

RE: Weird Pokémon Sprites and Colours (Please add Sprites and what you find Strange About said Sprites)

Silcoons eyes were yellow in its gen 3 sprites, unlike the rest of its sprites where they were red
015.gif
266.png

Gligar changed it's entire colour sceme in gen 4

207-m.png
DP
207-m.png
P
207-m.png
HGSS

Edit: Gligar's change of colours is also noticable in its Ken Sugimori artworks and in the TCG, but strangely not in the anime, where it always has been in the newer colours.

Quagsire kinda did too

195-m.png
DP
195-m.png
P

Torterras shiny sprite changed between Platinum and HGSS (I like the DP shiny version better) :<

389.png
389.png

Croconaw also looked kinda different back in the day

159.gif
159.gif
GS

As did Meganium

154.gif
154.gif
GS

That's all I have for now :)

Sorry about the weird backrounds on some of them ._.'

RE: Weird Pokémon Sprites and Colours (Please add Sprites and what you find Strange About said Sprites)

Spr_b_g1_004.png

In the original game sprites, Charmander had a small row of spikes down its back. (and it was present in its Sugimori artwork as well) This part of its anatomy was taken out in the later games.

Perhaps obvious, but this thread just wouldn't be complete without weight loss Pikachu:

ObdZPVl.png

He looked so much cuter back when he was chubby. :<

I could say almost every Blue version sprites have some weirdness to it, but I'll list the serious one.

Geodude: it really looks like a dude asking "all right dude?" with that curly looking-like-hair head, either that or his taking a hitch in some road;
Spr_1b_074.png

Chansey : what I think it's its mouth(I still have a doubt!!) seems like a snout and it looks like a mix between a Kinder (I'll explain right bellow) and a dog;
Spr_1b_113.png

Exeggcute (I'll dye without nowing how to write its and its' evolution name! -_-'): the mafia Boss looking like a Kinder (chocolat egg with a suprise) with little Kinder!
Spr_1b_102.png

Pidgey: fat but small turkey;
Spr_1b_016.png

Spearow: looks like some tropical bird!
Spr_1b_021.png

From Gold
Quilava: Satan's pet dog;
Spr_2g_156.png

Feraligatr (when the hell do they fix the name!!?): the hunchback of Notre Dame;
Spr_2g_160.png

Meganium: the Grass E.T.
Spr_2g_154.png

After Gen. III the sprites were akward but due to color issues like Lileep and Cradily as stated and shown above, Cladoy, etc..
Edit: my main issue (and most visible) was with Magnezone's magnets. They seemed brighter in its' artwork, like it should be, following its' family line and they're darker and this when they appear in the sprites. According to some other site (*coghbulbacogh*), they blink but I would prefer for them to be just magnets and for the color to be alays there and, again like the family, having some on the sides and not just the tip.
Spr_4p_462.png
Spr_5b_462.png

PS:
Oh, the back sprites...those were even worse and far numerous in mistakes and until Gen III some remained akward but the worst ones that come to mind:
Charmeleon: either a squirrel with nuts in its mouth or a distant cousin of sea lions and unicorns;
Spr_b_g1_005.png

Charizard: the undead Dragon (its head reaminds me of a skull);
Spr_b_g1_006.png

Venusaur: fruit salad.
Spr_b_g1_003.png

Athena said:
Perhaps obvious, but this thread just wouldn't be complete without weight loss Pikachu:

ObdZPVl.png

If that were Ash's Pikachu, the reason would be fairly obvious until Gen III: lack of food!

Does anyone else think the female Cooltrainer in RSE looks like a male?
Spr_RS_Cooltrainer_F.png

Tentacruel's Tentacles keep on changing colour.
First they were white in RGB
Spr_1b_073.png
, then they were blue in Yellow
Spr_1y_073.png
, then a paler blue in GSC
Spr_2g_073.png
, then beige in Gen 4 and 5
Spr_4p_073.png
and now finally grey.
Spr_5b_073.png

In the console games, Tentacruel has Brown tentacles
073.gif
and green shiny ones
073.gif
, instead of beige.
073.gif
Also, the "Gems of the sea" are blue instead of green and its main body is light blue.

Athena said:

ObdZPVl.png

Now that I am looking at this , notice how the first sprite from gen 1 has a Raichu tale :D

It seems they changed the sprites every gen but do you think they will also change the pokemon animations and design next gen/game ? These changes really makes old Pokemon fresh for me so I will be happy to see that pattern in the 3d models of the future.

scattered mind said:
Athena said:

ObdZPVl.png

Now that I am looking at this , notice how the first sprite from gen 1 has a Raichu tale :D

It seems they changed the sprites every gen but do you think they will also change the pokemon animations and design next gen/game ? These changes really makes old Pokemon fresh for me so I will be happy to see that pattern in the 3d models of the future.

The animations? No. They kept a lot of the animations from stadium and re-used them in this game. I'm looking at you Poliwrath and Lickitung.

As for the Pokémon models/style, well, it depends on which console the next generation will be. Though, I suspect they'll keep the same models, but maybe re-vamp some bits, like making the colours less dull.

In its 3rd gen sprites, Delcatty has a spot on its forehead.
Spr_3r_301.png

However, this isn't present in the Sugimori art and later sprites.
Spr_4d_301.png

301Delcatty.png

Personally, I think they should have kept it. It's pretty cute.

Nosepass looks really odd in the main series Gen 3 games
Spr_3r_299.png
, but looks normal in all other games of that generation.
299.gif

Blob55 said:
(...)
Tentacruel's Tentacles keep on changing colour.
First they were white in RGB
Spr_1b_073.png
, then they were blue in Yellow
Spr_1y_073.png
, then a paler blue in GSC
Spr_2g_073.png
, then beige in Gen 4 and 5
Spr_4p_073.png
and now finally grey.
Spr_5b_073.png

In the console games, Tentacruel has Brown tentacles
073.gif
and green shiny ones
073.gif
, instead of beige.
073.gif
Also, the "Gems of the sea" are blue instead of green and its main body is light blue.

Not to mention that it never has 80 tentacles like some Pkdex entries.

9Tailz said:
In its 3rd gen sprites, Delcatty has a spot on its forehead.
Spr_3r_301.png

However, this isn't present in the Sugimori art and later sprites.
Spr_4d_301.png

301Delcatty.png

Personally, I think they should have kept it. It's pretty cute.

Perhaps Hoenn's Delcatty served as inspiration for female Staraptor.
Spr_5b_398_f.png

Honestly i think most of these changed due to them not being like the artwork or because the anime got them wrong so they changed to look more like it. I also prefer chubby pikachu.

Spr_5b_227.png

Skarmory's animation in B2/W2 (I can't find an animated one): no Pkdex entry mentions it and in the anime it doesn't happen but in the game, each of its feathers moves independently and it seems like each feather is actually a wing!

For some unknown reason, Salamence's wings were this gross orange color before Gen V. The Sugimori art and Anime have always featured red wings.

Spr_3r_373.png
Spr_4d_373.png
Spr_5b_373.png

Some Pokemon have had their shiny forms completely swapped with their normal forms... The one that sticks out for me is Gen II Elekid. It can come from the egg with a massive chance of being shiny, so I remember being super excited until I realized that the colors were different.

Regular
Spr_2g_239.png
---->
Spr_5b_239.png

Shiny
Spr_2g_239_s.png
---->
Spr_5b_239_s.png

the different amounts of white space in the images of these sprites is making me so angry. look at how uneven everything is ):

steffenka said:
Gligar changed it's entire colour sceme in gen 4

207-m.png
DP
207-m.png
P
207-m.png
HGSS

Edit: Gligar's change of colours is also noticable in its Ken Sugimori artworks and in the TCG, but strangely not in the anime, where it always has been in the newer colours.

This so many times in Platinum.

Every single time I saw a gligar, I had to go make sure twice its not shiny, because it was way too freakin blue for it to be the result of having screen light on darkest level or something.

The shiny differs from the regular Gligar by being blue instead of purple.
207-m.png

Xdog said:
For some unknown reason, Salamence's wings were this gross orange color before Gen V. The Sugimori art and Anime have always featured red wings.

Spr_3r_373.png
Spr_4d_373.png
Spr_5b_373.png

Also, gen 3 Salamence is purple instead of blue.

It's not much, but in gen 3, Shuppet was a dull gray color and had smaller, narrower eyes. In the next generation, he is much darker, has wider eyes, and gets a mouth.

shuppet.png
and
shuppet.png

Back