Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
88-tyranitar.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

First Post!

1. I think Tyranitar is great. Lots of HP, and 3 great attacks. Is weakness isn't great though. I think he stands out.
2. I don't think he has a metagame yet. But he should.:p
3. He works well with Manetric, Nidoqueen, anything that prevents bench damage.
4. 5/5 He just rules. He has great attacks and good heft.
5. 5/5He looks ready to kill you. It's that simple. Or eat you...

OMG i hate going up against this card. i almost had a perfect winning streak at the unleashed prerelease but this guy beat me by surprise. I'm coming for you tyranitar prime!!!!

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

1a. Its a great card. A titanic 160 HP and 180 with Ebelt is huge.
It has high retreat which sucks, but that is easily fixed by Moonlight stadium. A wide range of attacks a varying energy costs gives him a range of playability. T1 spread, and T2 60 (with DCE) is good. Followed by a T3 120 that will 1HKO most pokemon.

2a. The card is too new to have a real metagame yet. But I imagin it will fit ok into the current metagame.

3a. He combo's well with Bench Shield, Shaymin UL, Manectric, and Nidoqueen. Darkrai X is also an option.

4a. 5/5 High HP. High Damage. Easy to Power up. Good resistance. Nuf Said.

5a. Like all the primes, the artwork is lackluster. A close up of the face is not very original. But its still 5/5.

my freind plays this card in all his decks he got it from prerelease and i beat all the time all i need is an the unleashed beedrill and roserade to confuse paralyze and poison the second turn twin needle it. but i like pic so i rate 3/10 thats all.

I feel like this card definetly has potential if you know how to play it. If you can utilize it fully, you can crush anybody.
This is a fairly new card so I don't know if there are any "popular" decks using it yet. I am not as avid a player as others so I haven't seen anything built around it yet.
Looking at what sturtle said about Manectric and Nidoqueen is very much so there to be used, but I would just use a pure dark deck to eliminate backfire. I don't think anyone uses Darkrai LV.X as often anymore but it can be used for its Poke-body to power-up its second attack and an Expert Belt to give it a minimum of 110 base with Darkrai in play. The Belt would also bring its HP to a whopping 180. If you hadn't noticed, I like Belts.
I give it 4.5/5 stars. I am not a huge fan of deck destruction, so I don't like its last attack a whole lot... Even if it can do 120 damage. I know how to do 150 damage with a Charizard for 3 energy and 1 energy discard for crying out loud!
5. How's the artwork?
I give the artwork a 5/5. I am no art critic but I think this card's art stands out from others.

i like tyranitar prime first attack spamming 20 to all non dark poke'mon and then set up all ur bench Pokémon for knockouts left and right. the art work is not that impressing but it makes up for it with the attacks.

It was fun when I ran him at pre-release and even more fun when I trolled against one with a Crobat Prime with poison and then leaving him the option of either killing crobat, taking 1 prize of the two he had left and then fainting giving me my last one or using his darkness howl to kill one of my benched, take one prize, but killing one of his benched, giving me the win.

at prerelease you're supposed to park steelix prime in front of crobat. perfect metal ftw =P

5. How's the artwork?

1. I honestly think that the only redeeming feature about this card is the fact that it has 160 HP, on a Stage 2. That is quite high, but the other primes have similarly high HP for their stages. Of note is Steelix Prime...a whopping 140 on a Stage 1, 10 more than the mighty Gyarados and 20 more than Donphan (although, Donphan can wall, even though Steelix also does get Perfect Metal).

2. I suppose you could use it in a rogue deck with Weavile SW, but Weavile SW would be greatly hindered, as would the rest of the deck, by Darkness Howl. Sure it does 20 to all non-Darks, but that does considerable harm to yourself as well. Power Claw isn't bad though, but Megaton Tail comes with a hazard, and it's a bit too slow.

3. ...I honestly have no idea. I guess Weavile SW could let it get going for T2 Megaton Tails, but that's going to burn up the deck quickly. Still, with a belt, it can one-hit any non-belted Gyarados, which is quite a feat. Not much else not named Donphan can do that. (Belted Donphan with 1 energy can OHKO a non-belted TTar Prime, though...)

4. 3/5. 160 HP is nice, but its attacks are quirky and self-damaging, and its glaring weakness to such popular metas as Donphan is its downfall. It has little redemption.

5. Actually, the artwork isn't bad at all.

The card definitely has potential, very high hp and great attacks. Anything with high hp and has attacks that do not cost a ridiculous amounts of energy would be great.

This card along with the HGSS: Unleashed set are pretty new so I do not know of any current popular metagame decks that use this card. But I am sure someone somewhere is working on a game winner metagame deck.

Standard starters Sableye and Spiritomb (at least the variant most commonly used) are both dark and are thus immune to Tyranitar's first attack preventing any unwanted damage to your Pokemon. Plus these starters also provide great starting opportunities. The unreleased Houndoom prime is also a good combo for this card. Double colorless energy cards are standard now and Tyranitar prime can put it to good use. Expert belt will make Tyranitar prime a massive threat for any deck because it makes Tyranitar's already huge 160 hp even more awesome plus increasing damage. Crobat G + poketurn and plus power for even more damage and do not forget Darkness energy. Luxray GL X is good for almost any deck and it can allow Tyranitar to score hits on opposing Pokemon that are hiding in the bench. Rare candy's are also a must to speed up the rampage of this card.

I am giving this card 5/5 because I feel its a solid card that needs to be experimented on to potentially become metagame material. Its incredible HP and relatively low cost powerful attacks make it stand out. Its first attack darkness howl deals 20 for each Pokemon that is not dark type which is a powerful spread for just one energy, and may become viable later in the game with boosts from expert belt which can be good finishers for Pokemon hiding in the bench. Its second attack, power claw, can deal 60 damage whilst ignoring any effect (poke body, damage reducers etc) on the opposing Pokemon. This means that Tyranitar can bypass Special Metal energy and any other annoying effects, 60 damage unboosted is decent but throw in a standard issue expert belt and 80 is pretty respectable and it becomes a 90 if you used just one darkness energy. Its last attack Megaton tail is a beast, 120 attack unboosted. The drawback is steep, discarding three cards which is why it may be a good idea to use this attack only when either defeat or victory is certain. Expert belt megaton tail with 140 damage will OHKO most if not all non-expert belted and non special metal energied Pokemon in the current meta game.

At first the energy costs may be too high but people have forgotten about double colorless energy. Tyranitar puts it to good use because its last two attacks both have two colorless and you only need one double colorless and at least one dark energy card (which you should have and preferably in the form of darkness energy). Imagine setting up two darkness energy plus one double colorless plus expert belt and you would have a 100 damage power claw (+20 from expert belt and another +10x2 for the darkness energy) and a 160 damage megaton tail.

5. How's the artwork?

Hmm its not that bad and its not great either so 3/5.

1:The card has quite a bit of potential. It has a large amount of HP, which is always a good thing with evolved Pokémon. And this does have good potential if you use the right cards - using some Special Darkness Energy would increase the damage Megaton Tail does, which could easily KO most Pokémon, and as long as you have cards like Energy Returner or Night Maintenance, you don't have to worry too much about the deck destruction aspect.
2. It's only a recent card, but this could work out in Dark decks, as it means avoiding damage from it's Darkness Howl move.
3: As stated above, using cards like Special Darkness Energy, Expert Belt and anything like PlusPower can turn moves like Power Claw and Megaton Tail into potential one hit kill moves.
4: I give it a 5/5. I was lucky enough to pull and deck this at an Unleashed prerelease this past weekend, and I was able to take down most of my opponents with it once I got it onto the field.
5: The artwork is quite befitting the Pokémon. It looks like it might come out of the card to rough you up or eat you XD

And if the opponent plays also Nidoqueen RR ?
The spread in useless.
Reversal for take put Nidoqueen? Ok, but Tyranitar doesn't oHKO her (only with the third attack but it requires too much energy...and the effect ise really bad)

This card is good but I wouldn't use megaton tail a lot since it say discard 3 cards from the top of your deck.

Tyranitar is great. Lot's of HP. Great attacks. Darkness Howl is worthless if your opponent Nidoqueen though. It's other attacks require a lot of energy.
None yet
3. What combos can you use it with? How so? Nidoqueen & Manetric.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating.
4/5 It's attacks cost a lot of energy, is weak to Donphan.
5. How's the artwork?
5/5 Better than expected. Nice background.

on its own not great but it is worth being played if your a great deck builder
none yet
Play it with Jirachi and Manetric
4/5 stars Decent.
5. How's the artwork?
I honestly hate it just looks weird to me

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Tyranitar Prime can be good on its own. Literally, he has quite some nice attacks. It can spread 20 to all non dark Pokemon, hit for 60 without going through Poke-Powers or Poke-Bodies, and it can hit for 120 damage for four. Well, it may look expansive, but DCE comes into great use with this card, making it slightly faster. Furthermore, if you can give it an Expert Belt and two special Darkness Energies, you can literally hit for 160 damage. Thus, I would say Tyranitar Prime can be quite good on is own and it is somewhat worth playing.

There are no major metagame decks that use Tyranitar Prime at this very moment; however, if it were to make it into competitive play, I would say there would be a deck that would be built around it. For now, of course, we may never know if Tyranitar will make into becoming a metagame deck.

Literally, if I were to build a deck using this card, I would have to build it so that it would be the main focus. I would run cards like Claydol, Uxie, Azelf, and maybe Unown G. I would consider about putting Nidoqueen in there as well. For a starter, I would use either Spiritomb to prevent early game Rare Candies from the opponent or Sableye since you would literally be playing a dark deck, and Sableye would fit well to both set up or even donk. Now in order to counter something like Donphan, probably Tyranitar's nemesis, I would run Frost Rotom RR. I would use it by using its Poke-Power to turn it into a water type. Then, I would make sure I have a DCE and a water on it and then use the second attack to hit for 40 plus 10 for each {C} energy in the defending Pokemon's retreat cost. In this case, since Donphan has a retreat cost of 4, it would do 80, times 2 for the weakness, and that would do 160 damage, which knocks out Donphan. Thus, Frost Rotom can be a great backup attacker when Tyranitar has to go up against Donphan.

4. Give it a rating and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give Tyranitar Prime a 4/5. He can be quite a good card all right. He has very good HP, a great ability to hit very hard, great resistance, and a type that can easily take down a Cursegar deck. The problem with Tyranitar is that it has weakness to Donphan, a somewhat high retreat cost, and the fact it may most often attack for 3 energies means that it is a tad to slow in this format. Regardless, I think Tyranitar is quite a good card.

5. How's the artwork?

Man, I didn't see a great artwork by Wataru Kawahara in ages. This definitely is a great art for Tyranitar. The glint in his eye really shows that it's saying, "I'm ready for a battle!"

Wow! This is so cool.

Follow the Card Rating Guidelines.

dmaster out.

Much like many people here, I think that it would be an awesome card in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. It has really good attacks, and has Really high hp. Megaton Tail is the largest problem with this card for many people here. However, I disagree with a those people about Megaton Tail. For 2 {D} and 1 double colorless ( {C} {C} ), it does a base damage of 120. With an Expert belt, which is in almost every deck, it does 140, and has 180 hp. Also, you could use plus power, which increases the damage to a max of 180 damage, and if you use 2 special {D} energy, that's 200 damage. (not including other add-ons). This could KO everything, except wailord GE with expertbelt (but not many people use wailord). Now for the attack's effect. Many of the commenters on this thread have said 'it's bad' or 'it's deck destroying' ect. I sort-of disagree on that note. Just use Delcatty PL's Poke-Power. It puts 2 energy cards from the discard pile onto the top of the deck. Since they were already there, Megaton Tail's effect goes from discarding 3 cards, to basically discarding 1 card. It's MUCH less of a loss. With Delcatty on the bench, you can't deck-out before drawing your last prize, as long as you have a back-up TTar prime on the bench in case the first one is KO'ed. i just wanted to mention this. The second problem people have is it's retreat cost. It's really not much of a big deal. There have been larger ones, like 4 or 5, and it can be reduced/avoided many ways. The easiest way is Moonlight Stadium. You can also use switch. There are also a few other ways, but I can't think of them.

By itself it is pretty good. 1 dark energy for a 20 dmg spread is nice. With cards like BTS and Rare candy it is a quick card.

I'm guessing Manetric and maybe darkrai X

Darkrai X, Menetric, Metagross SV. and Jirachi Unleashed.

4/5 its a solid tank but x2 fighting weakness is horrid. Donphan is way too popular right now and owns it completely. However it is a dark type with psychic resist so Gengar should not give you too much trouble.

5. How's the artwork?

2/5 This is meh. T-Tar is a beast the card does not really display that to me. "/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back