Tyranitar (Prime) from HeartGold & SoulSilver: Unleashed (#88), 5/12/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
it has a potential if played with all darkness type deck since its first attack hurts the non dark pokemon, also the special dark energy will hurt a lot to ur active opponents.

2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
i have not try to build the deck with this, but i think t tar itself is a beast !!!

3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
maybe with darkrai lv x??i really not sure about this since i must have darkrai lv x in my bench (i must flip for head for my lv max..lol)

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
for now i give 4 stars

5. How's the artwork?
great, it shows how's strong and great it is.....lol

I've had no experience with this card as of yet, but it's a card I expect to see a lot of. Everything about this card is vicious.

Where do I get started? How about it's HP: 160 of it. With Expert Belt, that's 180. Unless it's up against it's weakness, it's not going anywhere for a while. And with those attacks, it's going to be making a greasy smear out of a lot of things in the meantime.

I'll draw out a best-case scenario, so the brutal monstrosity that is Tyranitar Prime can be appreciated in all it's horror:
Turn one, Rare Candy to Tyranitar, special Darkness Energy, and Expert Belt. That's 50 damage with Darkness Howl, and 20 to everything on their bench. Up to 150 total. Turn two, Double Colorless Energy to use Power Claw, dealing 90 damage with the special Darkness and Expert Belt already on it. Next turn, special Darkness on Tyranitar to use Megaton Tail. That's 160 damage on turn three. Unless Tyranitar is taken down fast, it will kill nearly anything in it's path with a single attack. That three cards you lose from your deck every turn won't matter much with that kind of damage output. In fact, it's hard to imagine that your opponent's cards won't warp a little as it heads to the discard pile.

What's wrong with that scenario is that it's very specific. But even if you don't get Tyranitar until turn two or three, and are using basic Darkness instead of special, it's still a beast and is going to wreck things. Yeah, it works great by itself. But you may want to give Flygon from Rising Rivals a look so it can retreat for free. Also, Moonlight Stadium is worth considering to retreat for free, at the risk of doing the same for your opponent.

Killing this card should be a no-brainer. Donphan with Expert Belt OHKOs Tyranitar, unless it's holding an Expert Belt, too. Machamp from Stormfront can take care of it with Hurricane Punch, provided it's lucky with the coin flips, it will need three to OHKO it. Toxicroak G Promo is good for revenge-killing it, though it may not one-shot it. It may need help from Crobat Gs. Rampardos from Platinum can also one-shot it with one energy. Really, any fighting type that can do a lot of damage faster than Tyranitar can set up is ideal.

Tyranitar Prime from Unleashed gets a score of 5 out of 5.

Want to do a lot of damage? A lot of cards do that. But if you want do move up from doing damage to flattening cities, leveling mountains, and pulverizing all opposition to the point that dental records are entirely useless in identifying them, then Tyranitar wants to give you it's business card. But instead of business cards, Tyranitar instead dishes out murder.

I run a rogue deck with it and I beat Luxray twice!!!! :rolleyes:
1 it is awesome now but after the switch it will be even more powerfull
2 none of the current (except its own)
3 I think the best combo with it involves sableye going first using overeager and impersonate to set up faster then get t-tar set up with an expert belt then swarm!
4 4.9999999999999 stars its good but that .000000000001 will come after the switch
5 this made my brother cry.... 5/5!!!!

{D} rules!!!![/font]

1. A pretty good card. It's attacks vary, giving it a wide range of options for attacking. The huge HP is also a big benefit. It gets killed by Donphan Prime, though.
2.No really popular metagame decks yet.
3.Cards that prevent bench damage, Nidoqueen, maybe Darkrai LV.X.
4. 4.7/5. Nice range of attack, high HP, but bad Weakness.
5. Awesome! It looks like it's about to try to kill you!

also, with the new revived legend set we should be getting next, a full darkness deck with tyranitar in the lead will be beastly

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
160 HP, 20 damage spread for 1 energy, 120 at once and of course dark pokemon, which means you can use special dark energy for additional damage.
This card is a tank and a sweeper, all at once.
At this moment none but i think this card would get a deck for itself.
Moonlight stadium is a "must have" card to play with this card. Tyranitar could have a place in a {P}/{D} instead of only {D} because of the stadium and it could help also against {F} pokemon that have weakness against {P}. Donphan is not one of them, though. Thats a reason that makes me think of a Kingdra+Tyranitar deck. Maybe is hard to get both at play, but with Kingdra sniper support and Tyranitar megaton tail, nothing cant stand that.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
4.5/5. This card is pretty good, with all the amount of HP and damage. The only "but" is the 3 discarded cards of its last attack and its weakness, but i think the weakness can be solved with deck support
5. How's the artwork?
I like it. Tyranitar looks very dark and powerful :3

Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

1.Its has a realy good potential.I think its worth being played.
2.idk
3.idk
4.my rating is 8/10 because its moves a really strong.but they take alot of energy.
5 10/10 i lake the sparkle and the background nice

1. It's pretty good! All its combos are being rotated out, but that's no cause for alarm. It's great as a lone wolf...or dinosaur. Unlike Steelix, this is a real powerhouse!

2. It's a newbie in the metagame world.

3. Darkr...no...Moonlight Sta...nope...HonchX...notta...Nidoqueen! That's about the only thing not being rotated out soon. The Honchcrow RL that's coming out could work after 2 of these guys faint.

Many people whine it takes 5% of your deck with the last attack, so I guess Palmer can be used. It's more of a combo-maker than a downfall. Very few cards can consistently send cards to the discard.

4. 5/5 This card rocks! It gets your opponent to cry as their pokemon go to the discard! The discarding the top 3 cards of your deck makes it seem even more powerful! The rotation will significantly weaken this guy, but who cares? It'll annihilate anything your opponent throws up there. It's Donphan-weak, but its resistance makes up for that. Just don't bother retreating. It'll beat up the brought-up pokemon anyway, right?

5. 2/5 It's okay, nothing terrific. It has the annoying sparkle.

Well, I just got this card yesterday, and I am very glad I traded for it!
I'm not a battler, so I can only rate the epic artwork

5. 10/10... the background is... royal... I like that...

(I hade to trade Blissey AND Donphan Prime for this guy... Person who I traded with got 2 in his booster box- and I still had to trade 2 primes...)

King Armag said:
Well, I just got this card yesterday, and I am very glad I traded for it!
I'm not a battler, so I can only rate the epic artwork

5. 10/10... the background is... royal... I like that...

(I hade to trade Blissey AND Donphan Prime for this guy... Person who I traded with got 2 in his booster box- and I still had to trade 2 primes...)

dude,read the rules! your supposed to RATE and ANSWER the GUIDING QUESTIONS..

1.the card is excellent on its own,great for taking hits. and yes,its worth being played.
2.idk
3.idk
4.i rate it 5/5. its great at taking hits,nice,high,HP.
5.Its Really Cool,it shows t-tar`s head shining in the light and its all up close,i think its awesome!

might not be the best review because its my first time,anyway,thats my review thanks pokemoncardbuyer.

1. I feel the deck has a chance, once that thing gets some Special Darks and an expert belt on it it's a pain in the butt to knock that sucker out!
2. I say it can be used in a deck of itself.
3. The SF Tyranitar and the water type Weavile so help speed it up.
4. I give it a 4 out of 5, So far I've seen people being able to take it out fairly easy. it's just not fast enough in the current format IMO.
5. It's a lot better compared to most primes out there that's for sure..

With massive HP, great resistance, 20 dmg spread with only 1 Energy, can hit massive damage with other attacks and can use Double Colorless Energy and Special Darkness Energy, this really has potential! Weakness is bad because Donphan Prime and Machamp, but this is worth being played.

Tyranitar itself is a beast.

You can use Manetric or Nidoqueen to heal your own Pokémon from Darkness Howl. You can also use Tyranitar as tank with 160 HP (+ additional 20 HP with Expert Belt) and Nidoqueen to heal damage. You can also put Memory Berry and Double Colorless Energy to Tyranitar Prime and hit Pupitar UL's Rage. Because you have 160 HP, Rage can be really powerful. The only bad thing is Tyranitar Prime's Fighting Weakness.

4/5. This card is really powerful and worth played. I'm going to make a deck of this because I already have 3 Tyranitar Primes.

5. How's the artwork?
The artwork is amazing! It looks like it's ready to kill you. Great work Wataru Kawahara.

format switch has come!

1. TTar Prime has tons of untapped potential in the current format!

2. Almost any meta deck can support it - run 1 or 2 in a Garydos deck, pal it with sableock, and why not along side Donphan?

3. Backing it with almost any SP engine its a win - Staraptor FB X, Garchop C X, Chatot G, just to name a few. Sableye RR has been noted, Unown DARK is a great bencher for TTar because it will allow for a Special Dark searcher, and if your running Crobat G, Honchkrow G also fills in nicely.

4. 5/5 - Donphan is really no match IF YOU PLAY IT SMART. Use Crobat to ping a benched Phanpy, or Donphan, leave a sacrifice out (like a sableye) and revenge it to death! If that wont work, slide out said crobat and start a poison chain - that'll make your opponent think twice about keeping it out and forcing a retreat - donphan has hefty retreat cost itself.

5. 4/5 The artwork is good, bur i cant help but wonder if a different angle would do him more justice?

5. How's the artwork?

1) Tyranitar Prime is a behemoth of a pokemon. With a colossal 160 HP and three powerful attacks, this is one force to be reckoned with. The retreat cost hurts though, so try to play around that as best you can.

2) I think this card should only be run in a deck dedicated to bringing him to the front lines and unleashing destruction. He is not a card to be teched.

3) Some nice combos include using it with Nidoqueen / Manetric to essentially negate the bench damaging effects of Darkness Roar on your own pokemon. Another option is to combo him with the Gravitation Pokebody Metagross which if timed correctly, can score multiple surprise KOs against the opponent.

4) I give him a 4/5. Card has huge potential but that Fighting Weakness alongside the heavy retreat cost can hurt alot.

5) Artwork is decent - though I think there is a fair bit of room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back