• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Turonator GX Decklist(Input Please!)

I think your list has a lot of good set pieces, but I don't know if they will combo well. Here are the changes I would make.

-1 Tapu Lele GX
-1 Remoraid
-1 Octillery
-4 Professor's Letter
-1 Fisherman
-3 Brooklet Hill
-4 Choice Band
-4 Fire Energy

+2 Staryu
+2 Starmie
+1 Ho Oh GX
+1 Professor Sycamore
+1 Float Stone
+1 Guzma
+2 Max Elixir
+3 Scorched Earth
+2 Nest Ball
+1 Mallow
+1 Kiawe
+1 Acerola
+2 Altar of the Sunne
+4 Burning Energy

These are some pretty big changes, and I could understand if you don't think they will work. I'll go over some of my bigger changes now. I dropped the Octillery line for a Starmie line because Starmie works way better with Volcanion EX, and it's Steam Up ability. That is also why I dropped the Brooklet Hill's for Scorched Earth because I can setup fast enough without Brooklet Hill, and Scorched is way better with Starmie throughout the game. You can also combo Scorched Earth with Mallow. You use Mallow put two cards you want on top of your deck, and Scorched Earth them into your hand. I added a Ho Oh GX and 2 Altar of the Sunne's because there are so many good water decks in the upcoming format. I dropped 4 Fire Energy for 4 Burning Energy because when you use Kiawe you don't have to pull basic energy. Couple of changes I made was I dropped the Choice Band's because there are few pokemon Turtanator can't OHKO if you have two Volcanion's in the Steam Up cycle. You are hitting for 220, and two of the few pokemon above that are Metagross, and Solgaleo which are weak to fire. Those are most of the big changes. Also this list is making changes to your updated list, and these changes would make you have 60 cards. I hope this helps.
Might replace Staryu/Starmie in the deck instead of Octilary. Don't agree with some of the choices but the consensus seems to think that Octilary should be taken out.

Turtonator is bad, choose a different deck
Turtonator GX is actually good in Volcanion because it synergizes well with Volcanion EX's Steam Up. The introduction of Kiawe in Burning Shadows has the potential of having Turtonator apply immense pressure on the opponent by attaching 4 Fire energy to it on the very first turn. Turtonator's GX attack also has potential mid-late game by attaching lost energies.

It's bad. Why attach 4 energy to turtonator when u can do it to ho oh. Ho oh has lightning weakness as well. Why use turtonator gx move when the basic volcanion 1 energy attack is 10 times better and doesn't give up 2 prizes lol and does damage with 1 energy. It's just a matter of time till people realize how garbage that card is

It's bad. Why attach 4 energy to turtonator when u can do it to ho oh. Ho oh has lightning weakness as well. Why use turtonator gx move when the basic volcanion 1 energy attack is 10 times better and doesn't give up 2 prizes lol and does damage with 1 energy. It's just a matter of time till people realize how garbage that card is
Turtonator hits the right numbers for OHKOing basic EXs/GXs when it has a Choice Band or Steam Up under its belt. Yes, Ho-oh can do the same thing, but it can't use Phoenix Burn twice in a row, while Turtonator can keep using Bright Flame as long as it has enough energy. The lost energy can be recovered with the GX attack. While it's true that baby Volcanion gives up a single prize, the rate in which it sets up energy is just too slow.

I'd highly recommend watching google's thoughts on Turtonator GX, as he thinks very favorably of Turtonator next format. And I agree with him:

I agree aswell, but I will have to say that I do think he's perfect for the Volcanion line but as the secondary attacker, prime reason being that A. It does cost energy to do that attack and B. Your not always in need of 190+ attacks and if Turt is taken out by an oppossing regular Pokemon (which can still quite easily happen) your suddenly running 2 Prize cards behind, unless you've opened up with Volcanion in the first place to start the beatdown ;).

So all in all what Im running now is a 4 Volcanion, 3 Volcanion EX and 2 Turt GX line with Tapu Lele. I think a third Turt will be added. The prime reason as to why I still use the regular Volcanion however is due to opening strategies. With Pokemon like Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Ninetales, Sylveon GX and Gardevoir GX to me it's good to have that basic wall in place just to ensure things dont go too wild. Despite having Kaiwe the deck still needs some time to set up it's Volcanion EX's in order to secure the 1HKO mania.

Based on that experience I think your deck is almost compelete mrfr1day but I can highly recommend:
- Running 4 Volcanion
XY11_EN_25.png

- Running 2 Tapu Lele GX, bench is crowded as it is with 3 Volcanion EX
- Running 3-4 Kiawe
- Running 4 Scyamore, deck really is draw heavy
- Running 2 Choice Band is more then sufficient due to Volcanion EX being your choice band
- Running 2/2 Professors Letter and Energy Retrival, it works for me because I just don't solely rely on Turt GX to do all the work

In essence I think you know where the deck is going once you play around with the regular Volcanion. Volcanion is so great because it's A. a wall who allows you time to set up, B. can exellerate other Pokemon on the Bench and C. is not a bad primary attacker during the early stages of the game. Moral is that Steam Artillery isn't half bad for his additional functions. Lastly what makes this deck go off however is turn 1 Kiawe's. I can't stress how important it is and thus cannot stress how important I feel it is to mention that 3 are a real minimum with 2 Tapu Lele GX for sure. 3 Tapu Lele GX are usually a fine choice but the reason why Ive found it doesnt work out that great for this deck is because of Volcanion EX's bench requirement :).

Cheers,

I'm running 4 ho oh gx 3 volcanion ex and 1 lele for my attackers and I usually turn 1 kiawe. Have fun losing to water guys

I'm running 4 ho oh gx 3 volcanion ex and 1 lele for my attackers and I usually turn 1 kiawe. Have fun losing to water guys
Ho-oh is more of a tech in Volcanion because Turtonator is more consistent as an attacker. If you don't like Turtonator in this deck, fine. But this isn't the place to say to take it out because it's been working for the majority of players, the OP included.

Unfortunately Mega Mewtwo does make a point, but that is why some Turtonator GX builds tech in 1 Ho Oh GX. Honestly though Mega Mewtwo I would say this deck is probably better than your Ho Oh GX deck against everything but water decks. That's just my personal opinion, but we will see which one is more competitive soon enough. I would still suggest making the changes to your list that I suggested on the last page, but I am glad you decided to add the Starmie line. I think that works way better in the deck. I hope this helps.

I'm sorry Mega Mewtwo, but you expect too much to go right in your deck. Trust me it will not be that way. You are talking about getting a Ho Oh GX, Volcanion EX, Kiawe, and managing to get a Wishful Baton all in one or two turns. Your deck cannot be very consisitent.

I run 4 lele as well ,a couple nest ball i get turn 1 kiawe on ho oh every game. 4 brooklet hill gets volcanion and wishful baton is the icing on the cake. It's not hard

I'm sorry Mega Mewtwo, but you expect too much to go right in your deck. Trust me it will not be that way. You are talking about getting a Ho Oh GX, Volcanion EX, Kiawe, and managing to get a Wishful Baton all in one or two turns. Your deck cannot be very consisitent.
I run 4 octilery it's very consistent

Back