Trevenant BREAK

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is for all discussion of competitive Trevenant BREAK variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies and matchups.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, please post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
Tree of Life: Working with Trevenant BREAK
Pep Talk — Analyzing Night March’s Dominance And Preparing For States!
Top Picks for Nationals - Discussing the Front Runners of Standard

Trevenant BREAK Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 15
  • 4 Phantump BKP 64
  • 4 Trevenant XY 55
  • 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
  • 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
  • 2 Wobbuffet PHF 36
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 4 Wally
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Bursting Balloon
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Dimension Valley
Energy: 8
  • 6 Psychic Energy
  • 2 Mystery Energy
Open spots: 0

I wasn't ever expecting anything Trevenant, except Gengar Trevenant. Now I feel stupid for parting ways with 2 of them about 5 months ago :( But I do really like this deck! Any recommendations for the final 4 slots? I was thinking another Wobbuffet, but am unsure.

IMO this deck needs energy denial, so maybe put in Team Flare Grunt / Crushing Hammer / Enhanced Hammer / Xerosic

I think Trevenant needs some sort of tool removal, like Xerosic and/or Megaphone. Fighting Fury Belts in particular give them at least one extra turn against Silent Fear, and Garbodor stops the item lock.

I got 9th at NJ states with Trevenant last weekend. I went 5-2. The meta was littered with special energies. Many games were won by xerosic or grunt denying attacks.
Here's my list:
Pokemon: 11
  • 4 Phantump BKP 64
  • 3 Trevenant XY 55
  • 1 Trevenant BKP 65
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 40
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Wally
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Steven
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Red Card
  • 1 Target Whistle
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Bursting Balloon
  • 4 Dimension Valley
Energy: 9
  • 5 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Mystery Energy
Mini Report: I lucked out and avoided all the Yvetals

7 rounds Swiss

Round 1- Vs Brandon M Mewtwo WLW
  • G1 I miss the first turn Trevenant, he plays a bunch of cards and ends with 3 cards. I deliquent to 0 and ascend to Trevenant XY and lock him out of his top-decked Trainer's Mail
  • G2 He sets up his Zoroark BREAK and Foul Play's my Tree Slam for weakness
  • G3 First turn Trevenant XY and his big EXs and tiny Zoroa can't handle spread and energy denial
Round 2- Vs Damien Night March WLW
  • G1 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY and he scoops after drawing his first card
  • G2 He gets all his trainers out of the way on his first turn and sets up 3 night marchers in discard. I gambled on him not having a second DCE after his Town Map revealed and prized DCE. I ascend to Trevenant BKP. He gets compressor for 3 more night marchers and had the extra DCE in hand. I would have had a chance if I ascended to Trevenant XY instead.
  • G3 Missed the Wally, and benched an extra Phantump to avoid losing if he sets up. He knocks out my Phantump I ascend turn 2 to Trevenant XY, but no energy on both sides. 4 turns of draw/pass until I hit an energy to start using Silent Fear
Round 3- Vs Spencer Night March WW
  • G1 First Turn I get Wally/Trevenant XY, he Burches to 7, I red card him to all items
  • G2 Turn 1, I ascend to Trevenant XY. He gets his secret Lugia EX tech, but does nothing due to no energies. I judge him to a useless hand. Next turn, I set up another Wally/Trevenant XY as back up
Round 4- Vs Nick ToadTina LL
  • G1 I ascend to Trevenant BKP against his Giratina EX. He gets extra energy and I can't handle the damage
  • G2 This was a very close game. We both Grunt and Xero away each others energies and Trevenant BKP prevents his pokemon from attacking. He VS Seeker his grunt back after a Hex Maniac and plays Faded Town to get rid of my (third) Dimensional Valley. I Judge, but he gets the Grunt back anyway and hits my second energy and I can't attack. 4 turns of pass/draw until I Steven for nothing and find out that my last Dimensional Valley and Mystery Energy are prized. Nothing left in the deck that can help. I used Super Rod early right before a sycamore. He had 2 Shaymin EX with 90 damage on the bench...
Round 5- Vs Elliot ToadTina WW
  • G1 First turn I get Wally/Trevenant and easily win due to item lock plus energy denial. Silent Fear kills 2 shaymin in a turn
  • G2 I almost got donked. He opens with Latios EX against my lone Phantump. He digs through most of his deck and gets Fighting Fury Belt, but misses the DDE. Turn 1 ascend to Trevenant XY with a Bursting Ballon. He toad item locks me while Xerosic prevents Giratina EX from charging up. His toad can only do 30 while Trevenant BREAK spreads. 4 Silent Fears kills toad and 2 shaymin. First turn Bursting Balloon weakens toad enough for spread to kill
Round 6- Vs Joe Lucario/Garbodor WLL
  • G1 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY locks items while Tree Slam runs through Lucarios
  • G2 He has a crazy turn 1 with all the items and ends with muscle band, strong energy Lucario, Trubbish with a tool and ultra ball for a Garbodor
  • G3 I missed the Wally, he gets set up, and I cant handle the amount of damage that Lucario can put out. I get no supporter except a lone grunt on turn 3.
Round 7- Vs Mike Night March LWW
  • G1 he goes first gets set up
  • G2 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY lock
  • G3 he goes first, sets up 7 night marchers in discard. I decide to risk it, and ascend to Trevenant BKP and while grunting away all his DCE. He does manage to get an attack through, but his damage maxed out at 150 VS my Trevenant BREAK. I max potion and continue to Silent Fear everything
Final Standings:
WP_20160319_19_35_16_Pro 1.jpg

I think a secondary attacker would be useful. Any ideas?

I was thinking Photon Wave Mewtwo-EX? It's not ideal and still has weakness to Pumpkaboo. Toad could be decent as a one of, but since Trevenant does that job, not sure if it's even worth inclusion.

I'd add one more wobb, switch judge with a red card, take out delinquent for flare grunt, add xerosic and 1mystery energy and a basic psychic.

Edit: didn't notice the skeleton had compressors. Take those out and add 2 max potion and another Wally. Gotta get that T1 lock

Last edited:
I'd add one more wobb, switch judge with a red card, take out delinquent for flare grunt, add xerosic and 1mystery energy and a basic psychic.

Edit: didn't notice the skeleton had compressors. Take those out and add 2 max potion and another Wally. Gotta get that T1 lock
The purpose of the Battle Compressors is to put Wally in the discard and get it right away with VS Seeker for the T1 lock, so taking those out is counterproductive. Between the three of those and the three Wally we have, that's enough to make it work pretty consistently without the need for a fourth Wally. Max Potion is also not especially useful in here, I think, but the rest of your changes seem solid enough.

@prophecy250 Congrats on your 9th place finish at the NJ State tournament.

With only 4 Basic listed in your deck, how many times did you mulligan, on average, per game? Thanks.

@TuxedoBlack - Thanks, I've mulliganed about 2-3 times a game, with an unusual 7 mulligans G1 against Nick (and he went first). The 2 judge and red card really help mitigate that if you manage to miss wally. Honestly, them having an extra 2-3 cards doesnt matter if you get a turn 1 trevenant since they can only use 1 supporter, 1 energy, and shaymin has limited use due to having a large hand.

As far as back up attackers go, I was experimenting with zebrastrika BKP since it has DCE atk that absolutely crushes yveltal ex, rayquaza ex, and opposing trevenant. Espeon EX can be a nice tech to finish off trevenants after 2 silent fears

In my list I've been using Absol RS along with Super Scoop Ups to be able to win faster. Surprised it hasn't shown up here. Taking down tough EX'es, and Megas in particular can be really difficult, so being able to move all the damage over to a Shaymin or another easy kill helps a lot in those matchups. Thoughts on this?

I got 9th at NJ states with Trevenant last weekend. I went 5-2. The meta was littered with special energies. Many games were won by xerosic or grunt denying attacks.
Here's my list:
Pokemon: 11
  • 4 Phantump BKP 64
  • 3 Trevenant XY 55
  • 1 Trevenant BKP 65
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 40
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Wally
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Steven
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Red Card
  • 1 Target Whistle
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Bursting Balloon
  • 4 Dimension Valley
Energy: 9
  • 5 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Mystery Energy
Mini Report: I lucked out and avoided all the Yvetals

7 rounds Swiss

Round 1- Vs Brandon M Mewtwo WLW
  • G1 I miss the first turn Trevenant, he plays a bunch of cards and ends with 3 cards. I deliquent to 0 and ascend to Trevenant XY and lock him out of his top-decked Trainer's Mail
  • G2 He sets up his Zoroark BREAK and Foul Play's my Tree Slam for weakness
  • G3 First turn Trevenant XY and his big EXs and tiny Zoroa can't handle spread and energy denial
Round 2- Vs Damien Night March WLW
  • G1 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY and he scoops after drawing his first card
  • G2 He gets all his trainers out of the way on his first turn and sets up 3 night marchers in discard. I gambled on him not having a second DCE after his Town Map revealed and prized DCE. I ascend to Trevenant BKP. He gets compressor for 3 more night marchers and had the extra DCE in hand. I would have had a chance if I ascended to Trevenant XY instead.
  • G3 Missed the Wally, and benched an extra Phantump to avoid losing if he sets up. He knocks out my Phantump I ascend turn 2 to Trevenant XY, but no energy on both sides. 4 turns of draw/pass until I hit an energy to start using Silent Fear
Round 3- Vs Spencer Night March WW
  • G1 First Turn I get Wally/Trevenant XY, he Burches to 7, I red card him to all items
  • G2 Turn 1, I ascend to Trevenant XY. He gets his secret Lugia EX tech, but does nothing due to no energies. I judge him to a useless hand. Next turn, I set up another Wally/Trevenant XY as back up
Round 4- Vs Nick ToadTina LL
  • G1 I ascend to Trevenant BKP against his Giratina EX. He gets extra energy and I can't handle the damage
  • G2 This was a very close game. We both Grunt and Xero away each others energies and Trevenant BKP prevents his pokemon from attacking. He VS Seeker his grunt back after a Hex Maniac and plays Faded Town to get rid of my (third) Dimensional Valley. I Judge, but he gets the Grunt back anyway and hits my second energy and I can't attack. 4 turns of pass/draw until I Steven for nothing and find out that my last Dimensional Valley and Mystery Energy are prized. Nothing left in the deck that can help. I used Super Rod early right before a sycamore. He had 2 Shaymin EX with 90 damage on the bench...
Round 5- Vs Elliot ToadTina WW
  • G1 First turn I get Wally/Trevenant and easily win due to item lock plus energy denial. Silent Fear kills 2 shaymin in a turn
  • G2 I almost got donked. He opens with Latios EX against my lone Phantump. He digs through most of his deck and gets Fighting Fury Belt, but misses the DDE. Turn 1 ascend to Trevenant XY with a Bursting Ballon. He toad item locks me while Xerosic prevents Giratina EX from charging up. His toad can only do 30 while Trevenant BREAK spreads. 4 Silent Fears kills toad and 2 shaymin. First turn Bursting Balloon weakens toad enough for spread to kill
Round 6- Vs Joe Lucario/Garbodor WLL
  • G1 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY locks items while Tree Slam runs through Lucarios
  • G2 He has a crazy turn 1 with all the items and ends with muscle band, strong energy Lucario, Trubbish with a tool and ultra ball for a Garbodor
  • G3 I missed the Wally, he gets set up, and I cant handle the amount of damage that Lucario can put out. I get no supporter except a lone grunt on turn 3.
Round 7- Vs Mike Night March LWW
  • G1 he goes first gets set up
  • G2 First turn Wally/Trevenant XY lock
  • G3 he goes first, sets up 7 night marchers in discard. I decide to risk it, and ascend to Trevenant BKP and while grunting away all his DCE. He does manage to get an attack through, but his damage maxed out at 150 VS my Trevenant BREAK. I max potion and continue to Silent Fear everything
Final Standings:
View attachment 10086
Just ran a version of this deck that included 2 Wobbuffet and placed 10th at KY states.

@marsmich very nice job! how were your match ups? was night march everywhere? how did wobb hurt/help your deck? Just missing the top cut is always disappointing.

@marsmich very nice job! how were your match ups? was night march everywhere? how did wobb hurt/help your deck? Just missing the top cut is always disappointing.
Round 1 - (LWL) Scizor/Garbodor deck, I just couldn't get set quickly enough to avoid the off the bench damage from Scizor and my Startling Megaphone never materialized to do away with Garbodor.
Round 2 - (WW) Aromatisse/Gardevoir deck, a very slow couple of matches with energies not really showing up on either side.
Round 3 - (LWW) Giratina/Hydreigon EX/Bronzor/Aegislash EX deck, this was the only round where Wobbuffet really helped. It prevented the use of Shaymin EX in the third game.
Round 4 - (LWW) exactly the same deck as Round 3. This was his "teammate"
Round 5 - (LL) Yveltal/Bats, couldn't get set and couldn't overcome the dark deck weakness
Round 6- (WW) Garchomp/Hawlucha, a fairly easy straight forward match. I had a lot of practice against this deck as this is what my daughter plays.
Round 7 - (WW) my only Nightmarch deck of the day! I took a gamble in the second game knowing that two of her energies were prized and it paid off. Even if it hadn't I felt fairly comfortable because Xerosic, Team Flare Grunt and Target Whistle rule this matchup.

Going 5-2, I thought I had a chance at top 8, but there were too many IDs for the final round and that resulted in four people going 5-1-1 and the top 2 players finished 5-0-2. I would say the Wally never really helped me on turn 1 if I went first, but it was invaluable in setting up a second Trev on the bench. I only used Wobbuffet intentionally in Round 3 and so I would possibly remove it from the deck. I was pretty stoked to beat my opponent in Round 3 (a top 4 maybe top 2 winner from fall regionals in St Louis). I did run a version of this deck at Missouri states with a Gengar line and placed in the high 30s, so this version is a definite improvement.

I use gengar ex as a secondary attacker. His second attack let's him retreat back to the bench and keep up the item lock while inflicting poison.
I also thought a secondary attacker was needed, but I have found through two tournaments that if you can make a mono-Trev work, that is really the best. With a secondary attacker it opens too many possibilities for your opponent to work around the item lock. Hex Maniac is still a problem, but Lysandre becomes a non-issue. While the damage output may not seem high (60/20 for tree slam and 30 all around for silent fear), the item lock is just too much for the opponent to overcome in most cases.

This deck looks really interesting... I'm playing Greninja break now, so I will probably stay dedicated to that, but this will probably be a fun side deck. In my list (of I ever make it) I will run 2 wobs, just to have more support. I might drop a shay for it

I was thinking Photon Wave Mewtwo-EX? It's not ideal and still has weakness to Pumpkaboo. Toad could be decent as a one of, but since Trevenant does that job, not sure if it's even worth inclusion.
Do you think an M Alakazam EX/Trevenant Break deck would work?

Back