Writing The Unfinished Page (A simple Pokémon-Related contest for all writers. Round 4 over on 11/22!)

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
This is a simple contest. All entrants sign up and I start the contest by posting an intro of a fanfic. Your goal is to type the next part of that fanfic, but not the rest, and I'll explain why.

After reading the intro, you are to type the next section of the fanfic, but it may not be more than 500 words. You have five days (it's only 500 words, so it shouldn't be that bad) to write and post the section once the intro is posted. Judges will select which entries seem to be most suited and qualified for the fanfic compilation. They select three entries and score them from 1st to 3rd. Points are given as:
1st: 8 points
2nd: 5 points
3rd: 3 points

Whoever receives the most points gets their section added to the fanfic (and that section will be credited to that writer). In the event of a point tie, I have final say (I'm sure this rarely happens though).

The process repeats seven times, with the seventh time as the ending of the compiled fanfic. Whoever has the most points overall wins the contest. It's as simple as that. Interested? Sign up and find out.

NOTE: You may be BOTH a contestant and a judge, but under such circumstances, you MAY NOT vote for yourself at all.
Contest director: Zyflair

Contestants:
1. PMJ
2. Flare
3. Daren
4. 42 chocolate
5. Kingdra King
6. Gliscor

Judges:
1. eevee
2. Charizard88
3. TSL
4. Dictator Dauntless

Current Scores:
Daren - 39 Points
Gliscor - 33 Points
42 Chocolate - 28 Points
Flare - 23 Points
charidude - 21 Points
Kingdra King - 19 Points
PMJ - 15 Points

If you're reading this and you haven't joined, you can still enter now (just that you started at 0 Points. ;P)!

Directions: Read the following intro, and type a passage no more than 500 words long that fits as the next section. PM this passage to me. If you post it, you will have to rewrite a new passage in order to qualify for judging. You have to PM me your passage by 10/11/09, and it will not be accepted on any later date.
(Intro created by Zyflair)
The sun glared over Cinnabar beach, consequently forming the currents of wind, making the intense heat bearable. Humans and Pokémon alike either relaxed on their backs (some of them under the shade of umbrellas, wearing sunglasses) or playfully had fun in numerous ways, be it building sand castles, the poor buildings eventually knocked down or washed away; be it running along the meadows of streaming sand, carefully (for most, at least) trying not to trample others; or be it swimming and surfing in the ocean, some even trying their hand at a sea battle on this sunny day.

Yes, all was fine...

(Entry entered by Daren)
“IT CAME!!” cried a voice. It didn’t matter to anyone who had cried it. There wasn’t a head on the beach that didn’t turn, nor an eye that didn’t stare fixatedly, expectantly, at the far off horizon as the words echoed from one voice to another across the Cinnabar beach. The line that separated the sea from the sky in the far distance that was the horizon glowed with a magnificent radiance. The sky was a brilliant shade of pink and the sun had just risen above the ocean, upon which its brilliant glare glistened. All was tranquil and there was no sound. Even the Wingulls and Pelippers had grown quiet. Yet something broke the silence.

It’s presence on the distant horizon was announced first by the massive waves that seemed to come from its very being. It sloshed about in the great open expanse of water, its enormous body seen by the many onlookers as only a faint dot, steadily growing larger as it approached. Its stern drove through the waters like a sword slicing through a stick of butter, straight on and with pin-point precision. Its mast whipped in the powerful winds, yet they had no control over it, rather, it seemed, vice versa. Nothing could stand in its way.

The time for waiting had at last come to an end. For months upon end, people and Pokemon had likewise watched the same majestic horizon, awaiting its foretold return. But day following close on the tail of day passed by and the ship of which so many legends were told, did not appear. Now at last, the mighty ship, the Lapras Queen, upon which was rumored to sail the most daring of all adventurers, was arriving at the shoreline of Cinnabar.

But then it stopped. In fact, everything had stopped. Not very much happens within a millisecond; and it didn’t take much longer than one for the terrified onlookers to watch a fierce wave envelope the boat and, overturned, it sink into the depths of the sea. Onlookers stood with mouths gaping open. All of this time of waiting. All of these last few seconds of expectancy and ecstasy. And it had all ended in a mere handful of seconds. Just long enough for the eye to blink softly.

Slowly, painfully, each head shook and turned away from the vision of the terrible spot where the long-awaited Lapras Queen had sunk under the surface of the waters. It was all over. Even in the long days of waiting, there had been glee in the expectancy of its return. Now there was no glee. Not one smile.

One by one, humans and Pokemon abandoned the Cinnabar beach until no one remained. The beach which simple minutes ago had radiated with joy and happiness had been spelled with the horrible reek of loss. It was for this reason that not one eye noticed the small rowboat that had been lowered ceremoniously from the large ship prior to its fall slowly approaching the shore.

(Entry entered by Gliscor)

Very few people were on that rowboat. The panic of the sinking ship caused people to leave others behind. As the people on the boat mourned for help, they heard a deep silence. Only the sound was waves crashing along the ship, the screams and shouts of people in total shock, and the strong winds. Everyone on the rowboat refused to comeback and help everyone else. They knew that what was there, what caused the ship to sink, would devourer them all. Something- a Pokemon was it?-attacked the ship and caused it to sink. The people on the rowboat continued to shout out for help on Cinnabar but no reply.

Meanwhile, the people who were on Cinnabar had rushed to Pallet Town, trying to get away from that disastrous sight. But why did the people of Cinnabar react like so to the sinking, not willing to pitch a hand? They didn’t know about the creature that attacked the ship, but the history of the ship. The Lapras Queen was Cinnabar beach’s first ship. When it came out (in honor of Lapras) it was a historical moment for the whole island. But to them, the Lapras Queen was more than just a historical ship. It was a treasure to the people. A marvel it was to the people of Cinnabar, traveling on voyages and cruises all across the world. But it didn’t matter anymore. The Lapras Queen sank, and the heart of the Cinnabarians has been broken.

The people from the rowboat were just getting on shore. A few of them looked back, only to see the horrible sight of people drowning in fear. Most of the Lapras Queen was already underwater. All of the men rushed towards any phone to immediately call the police to help any survivors, the women went to find any first aid, and the children went out in search of food. They knew that it shouldn’t be a problem, since people used to live on this island. However, it didn’t matter if the survivors wanted to help out or not. It was too late. Around the wreck of the Lapras Queen, sharp, red eyes could be seen from the water. A loud shriek came from someone who saw them. And then, “CRASH! BOOM!” A furious wave struck against the remains of the Lapras Queen, blowing it to pieces. Everyone swam towards land in fear. And no one had Pokemon for help.

The ones from the rowboat saw the scene. The monster that attacked the ship was coming back for its second meal, trying to bite and attack on the poor survivors. The rowboat people still continued to call for help, but nothing worked. The telephone lines were busted for an unknown reason. No one from the rowboat had the courage to go back, so they just hoped. The survivors screamed as the monster thrashed about. It roared and shot fierce waves at the survivors. It seemed as if all hope was lost.

(Entry entered by charidude)

The waves were an onslaught, like gunfire in war. They bombarded the sands with their backbreaking force propelled by the long whipping tail of the beast. The man on the phone line franticly pressing the buttons as he heard his fellow survivor being brought out to see from the waves. He knew they were leaving from the gurgled sound of water rushing down their windpipe drowning them, only slowing them down, for the beast to finish it.

The fellowship of the vessel had rushed with the other islanders back, farther onto the beach. Other screams could be heard farther down the shore, a second monster was attacking the island. Eroding the sand, their life rubbing away, similar to the rocky grains of sand falling into the sea. They climbed to higher ground. Closer towards the volcano. When one small boy pointed out in the distance “, It’s a tsunami!”

Everyone’s head had been turned towards it. It had seemed that the sea was punishing Cinnabar Island; it’s guards, the mighty beasts of the sea, and the winds, messengers on land. A warning to stay off its land, and that it was nothing in comparison to its unmatchable strength.

The Tsunami hit with no act of mercy. Building were crushed and brought out like food to the two hideous animals waiting like pets, it started to climb the island, higher and higher, creeping up on the survivors of the sea. Finally, like a cobra, it snagged onto its prey, a small girl’s legs, and held fast as he was pulled off his feet tumbling back into the ocean hitting rock after rock, and hearing the terrified call of her mother, yelling in mercy for the sea to return her child.

The girl managed to open her eyes. She was floating underwater, the beats were circling her, she had very little breath and energy left. Their beady red eyes pierced through her own with their hatred. But then they just left. They made a horrible roar, and started to propel away with their tails. The girl was confused, but also a bit happy about this, for she felt almost calm as death took her in, easily and open armed….

Her eyes, opened, again, they were in a small bubble. Yes a huge bubble surrounding her body. She was aching all over from her wounds, she felt so light too, so free. She must’ve been dead, but it didn’t seem too horrible. But she popped the bubble and floated out into the room.

It was an undersea castle, quite a strange heaven, but she was okay with the Sea. And she was even told this story, how 2 Wailord were sent to find her, and return her, but as they failed they resorted to a wave to bring her back and rescue their Princess of the Sea. She looked at herself as a Manaphy, she believed this was heaven, but just smiled and nodded at the two young Phione, ecstatic to see her.

GO!

RE: The Unfinished Page (A simple contest for all writers)

Can I be a judge or do I have to have experience judging?

Seems interesting. I'll enter as a contestant.

Zy, I'm in. Let's see if I can get a second writing title.

eevee said:
Can I be a judge or do I have to have experience judging?
I wouldn't mind. You can be a judge.

I'm adding everyone. Welcome and remember to have fun!

I would like to be a judge.

You are added. Anyone may still be a judge if they want. I might just switch over to a contestant then.

I would like to be a judge, take a break from writing.

Added

If I can, may I please become a judge?

Will do.

I would like to join if I can Zyflair, this should be fun!

Zyflair said:
You are added. Anyone may still be a judge if they want. I might just switch over to a contestant then.

....Oh.

I'd rather judge.

Wow... alot of judges. XD

Did you sticky this, dmaster? >_>

Well, if you need me to, Ill be a contestant

RE: The Unfinished Page (A simple contest for all writers. Contest starts Tuesday 10/8/09)

I'm fine at the moment, thank you.

RE: The Unfinished Page (A simple contest for all writers. Contest starts Tuesday 10/8/09)

Your welcome, a judge I shall be.

Zyflair said:
Wow... alot of judges. XD

Did you sticky this, dmaster? >_>

No, I didn't, but I could have if you asked me. ;p bacon did.

This seems really cool. Awesome idea if it becomes successful.

dmaster out.

I'll join this. It seems like an awesome idea.

Back