Forum Mod
Advanced Member
The Ruins of Alph Rules and Guidelines

This forum is moderated by:
@bbninjas - Department Head
@steffenka - Moderator
@Jabberwock - Moderator​

I. All PB General Forum Rules apply!
The consequences for breaking them here are no different than anywhere else on the forums.

II. Chapters cannot be shorter than 800 words in length.

800 words = approximately one and a half pages on Microsoft Word. Exceptions include:
  • Prologues and poems are exempt from this rule. 300-400 words is the acceptable minimum for a prologue.
  • Short stories must be 1,000 words or longer.
Warning: Continued violation will result in a 10% warning for spamming per offense.

III. All poems must be compiled into one thread.

Only ONE poem thread is allowed per member; do not post your poems in separate threads.
  • There is no word limit for poems.

IV. Stories cannot exceed a PG-13 rating!

Profanity:
  • Permitted:
  • Mild swears (hell, damn, dang, crap, and crud that aren't already censored automatically by the forum are perfectly fine to use in fanfics)
    Not permitted:
  • Strong swears: (the f-word, the sh-word, the n-word, etc.)
Exception: It is alright to edit them so that an asterisk replaces two to three letters while the rest of the word remains intact, but finding a way to fully censor-jump the word isn't allowed.

Violence and Death:
  • Permitted:
  • Light to moderate violence (occasional bleeding or bruising of characters).
  • Controlled heavy violence (gunshot wounds, gouging/goring/disfigurement of a character's body-parts).*
  • Depictions of death.*
    * Must be downplayed so that they are not leaving a lasting impression.
    Not Permitted:
  • R-rated depictions (Anything that would be included in R-rated media).
  • Violence for the sake of violence.

Drug/Alcohol Reference (Usually found in Dark-sided fanfics):
  • Permitted:
  • Character(s) taking a swig from a can of beer or downing a shot of whiskey.
  • Smoking, on the other hand, is fine so long as it is on the lines of cigarettes, cigars, or tobacco pipes.
  • Character getting drunk but not causing a violent act.
    Not Permitted:
  • Types of drugs use/reference (marijuana, heroin, cocaine, etc.).
  • Character getting drunk and beating up another character or acting sexually towards another.

Insinuation (Typically involving characters talking about or displaying romantic tendencies towards one another):
  • Permitted:
  • Kissing, hugging, cuddling, mild sexual references.
    Not Permitted:
  • Full-blown erotica, graphic nudity, sexual acts.

Warning: 10% - 40% depending upon severity. If the case is severe enough, a ban may even be issued based on the moderator's discretion

V. Don't plagiarize.

Members may not, in any way, plagiarize content and post it on the forums. Instances of plagiarism and evidence against a member must be discussed with a forum staff member. Depending on the content plagiarized or how new the member is to the forums, a PM will be sent by [smod]Ice Arceus[/smod] and a warning or ban will be put into place.

VI. No senseless malevolence.

Any work created with the intent of defaming, "trolling," slandering, or harassing another member will not be tolerated. Discrimination on the basis of age, race, gender, sex, orientation, ethnicity, etc will result in the immediate removal of the work, and the offender will be issued a warning or ban, based on a moderator's discretion.

Warning: Violating this rule will result in removal of the fanfic and a warning or a ban, depending on the severity.

VII. Good grammar, spelling, and proper formatting are musts!

• All writings must be of readable quality!
  • Minor spelling or grammar mistakes are forgivable.
  • All paragraphs need to be double spaced (pressing ENTER twice; including dialogue)

Note: Spoiler tags ([ spoiler ][ /spoiler ]) can be added to lengthy chapters to help separate the actual update from the writer's commentaries or compensate for the fact that they're so long.

VIII. Script Formatting

When writing scripts, generally, you will need a few guidelines. Effective November 2012, the staff of The Writing Café initiated a rule banning scripts. Scripts are rather painful to read, especially if they are not properly formatted, and we've seen a few lackluster examples of scripts here in TWC. Recently, we revised the rules, releasing the ban on scripts, but we needed a few guidelines to show what is acceptable when writing scripts.

First off, courtesy of the Australian Script Centre, we have provided you all with an impeccable example of how to properly format your scripts.

2nr1zdu.png

Now, with that said, keep in mind that we will be rather lenient with this, but when writing scripts, you must, without question, follow guidelines similar to the ones posted above.

NOTE: Please PM one of the Creative Works staff members to review your script before posting!

Warning: Violating this rule will result in closure of the fanfic and possibly a minor warning, depending on the moderator's discretion.

IX. Spam

• What will be considered spam:
  • "Thank you!" posts
  • One worded posts (ex: "Great! Good! Amazing!")
  • Number ratings
  • Any general comments ("I like your fanfic!")

Warning: Minor spam 20% Major spam 40%

X. Bumping, Double Posting, and Reviving Threads

The original poster may NOT bump a thread more than once in a three day period. If the thread is one month old, a member may revive the thread, as long as they are providing something with discussional value. Likewise, a critic may revive a thread, as long as they are thoroughly critiquing another member's work.

The OP has the ability to double post only if they have completed another chapter and want to post it or if they want to bump their thread for attention. Otherwise, double posting is not acceptable in this forum.

• Permitted:
  • Posting in a month old thread only if the member has something of discussional value to add.
    Not Permitted:
  • Replying to a thread older than one month and your post has no discussional value.
  • Bumping more than once in a three day period.
  • Double posting if you are not adding a chapter or bumping your thread.

Members who are not the original poster may not bump the thread unless they are thoroughly critiquing the work.

XI. Chapters

• Permitted:
  • Linking to your future chapters in the original post and making them part of a Table of Contents listing what chapters you have so far.
  • Posting each chapter both in the OP and within the thread itself as individual comments.
    Not Permitted:
  • Multiple threads per story (i.e. one for each chapter)
  • Compiling all new chapters into the OP without posting them as individual thread comments.

XII. No abusing colors or tags.

DO NOT ABUSE THE TAG SYSTEM, OKAY?

Warning: You will be given a few hours to fix your post. Failure to do so will result in the removal of your post.

XIII. Quoting:

• Permitted:
  • Quoting pieces of the chapter and critiquing them individually.
  • Putting the chapter in a spoiler tag and writing your critique/comment outside.
    Not Permitted:
  • Quoting the entirety of a chapter.

Warning: Verbal warning. Continued violation of this rule will result in a minor spam warning.

Available Critics/Proofreaders

Critic: Delta
Contact Methods: Private Messaging; Profile Comments
Days Available: Weekdays and weekends
Hours Available: 11:00 AM to 01:00 AM GMT + 01
Genres Covered: Miscellaneous

Critic: Turtwig
Days Available: Nearly every day
Hours Available:Varies. Mainly from 5-12 PM (EST) on weekdays and sometimes all day on weekends
Genres Covered: Misc. (Preferably Mystery, Action/Adventure, Horror)

Critic: le Roi-Soleil
Days Available: Monday-Friday
Hours Available: 1 PM (EST) through 9 PM (EST) (TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.)
Genres Covered: Historical Literature, Epics, Romance, Misc.

Critic: MrGatr
Days Available: Weekdays and weekends
Hours Available: Varying
Genres Covered: Miscellaneous

Critic: Prometheus
Contact Methods: Private Message - Profile Comment
Days Available: Monday to Friday
Hours Available: 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Genres Covered: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Areas Covered: Character Creation and Development, Plot, Subplot, Conflict, Dialogue, Description

If you'd like to be added to this list, then please contact one of the staff members of this forum with the following form filled in:

Code:
Critic:
Contact Methods:
Days Available:
Hours Available:
Genres Covered:

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Writing Corner Rules

BLANK LINE IN BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS? HELLO?

/me knocks onto glass.

PMJ said:
Eternal praise?
Great rules 10/10

I'm not sure a blank line between paragraphs rule would be needed, but you never know. Might not hurt to add it.

I say the empty line rule is good as well. May I also recommend having something like an orginazational rule. Like
1. You may not work on two fan-fics at once as then that would slow down the time between each chapter.
or
2.On the front post have links, or a copy of each part of your story.

The first one's reason is obvious, to speed up time between chapters.
And the second one's reason is that it would be easier to find parts of the story without skimming through pages.

I don't agree with first one. Second one is obvious.

Empty line rule is pro.

Charidude's first suggestion is kind of silly.

Charidude's second suggestion is also kind of silly.

But see, those aren't really NEEDED, especially if the story's just two shots or three shots or even oneshot! That's going above and beyond.

Also I work on several stories at once. I prioritize RQO over Enigmatic Star, but to not be able to work on more than one fic is incredibly stupid. What if, god forbid, you get bored? I like to have many things to juggle around in that case.

Also, I vouch for a 'no tag abuse' rule, specifically color tags or quote tags in a chapter or story. Nothing is more distracting to me, and I really don't see the point of either.

Tags are fine, when used in moderation and when needed, such as to specify when a character is thinking (shut up Zyflair, I hear you laughing over there ._.). Tags to make the fic more exciting with color, to quote to break certain formatting, abusing bolding/italicizing/underlining/etc an entire post, CENTERING an entire CHAPTER (poems are okay for that, but otherwise...)...I'm talking about that sort of stuff.

Also yeah there's really no reason to use bold. Italics does the job 99% of the time, and so does the occassional caps. (Which should also be used sparingly).

Edit: Oh, that's another good one- don't quote entire chapters. This goes without saying (sorta like don't quote pics) but you never know on smaller stories...

Not at all. PMJ just wanted an actual ruleset.

If it's a related update, it's fine. So you can post them.

There does need to be a limit on the amount of Fics one can post. Two or three is fine, but I've seen people post five+ at a time and they never go back to any of them, so I think a limit might need to be put into place somehow.

dmaster out.

I have no problem against anyone who has 5+ fics and takes care of them all. The problem isn't really the number, it's the attention paid, their commitment to the stuff they start. I don't know how that could actually be regulated

What, no sticky?

A rule capping the number of allowed fanfics at any given time is not needed, because if someone were to have a ridiculous number (say, 4+), the chances are they would be breaking one of the other 10 rules (most likely 6 or 10) in order to keep their multiple stories afloat. It's just not going to happen unless the author is very good and very dedicated.

You could also condense this list greatly by removing rules 2,3 and 6, and then simply tacking on your standard "regular forum rules apply" deal. A streamlined list is better than a bulky one imo, people are put off by those fiendish walls of text...

bacon said:
A rule capping the number of allowed fanfics at any given time is not needed, because if someone were to have a ridiculous number (say, 4+), the chances are they would be breaking one of the other 10 rules (most likely 6 or 10) in order to keep their multiple stories afloat. It's just not going to happen unless the author is very good and very dedicated.

A good point. I think the credibility of the author and how much has been posted on the certain fics should be accounted for. Like I said, I'm working on like a billion things right now. Just because ES hasn't been updated in a little while doesn't mean I'm not actively writing it; I've just been more concentrated on RQO and not so much in the mood to re-write what I've wrote so far. Can you blame me for that? I will be finishing that story, given how it's only 20 chapters or so...

You could also condense this list greatly by removing rules 2,3 and 6, and then simply tacking on your standard "regular forum rules apply" deal. A streamlined list is better than a bulky one imo, people are put off by those fiendish walls of text...

What about walls of text? >0 Also see PMJ? I TOLD YOU.

bacon said:
See PMJ, I told y-

Wait, no I didn't.

But yeah, a fic limit is not required.

What if I don't want to count the words? (seriously, I don't have word or a simaler program)

KTHXBAI!

About the two pages rule; Wouldn't it be better if there was a minimum amount of words instead? I mean chapters with lots of dialogue can easily be two pages. Especially if the dialogue involved in it is something like:

"Hey, Richard!" Joe said.

"Hey Joe, what's up?" replied Richard.

It would still make way for the short, unwanted stories, because there will be few words but still two pages.
I can't think of a minimum amount of words myself, but maybe you can?

800 words per installment would be quite the minimum, I'd say.

I don't believe that I have scolded anybody. I may have came across as somewhat strict, but I tend to focus on what can be improved.

Also: Writing help thread? I can't imagine the kinds of questions and requests for help. ._.

Back