TCG Fakes The Fakers' Marathon 6 - 1,185 points!

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The_Fakers_Marathon_6_Alt.png

Create cards as fast as you can!

Over the course of the year, our Create-a-Card contests look for perfection; the prettiest art, the most creative mechanics, the most lifelike appearance. For the last week of the year, we're focusing on quantity. If you like creating custom cards without having to worry about the strict guidelines of CaC, this is the event for you!

Welcome to the sixth Fakers' Marathon! In this event, we attempt to make the most cards we possibly can in a single week. Whether you're a newcomer or a veteran, whether you prefer to make text-based or image-based cards, the entire community is welcome to participate! All you need is to be a member of PB or the Custom Card Discord Server so we can keep track of your entries and their scores.

If you're new to faking, check out the Help and Resources Thread to help you get started!

How the Fakers' Marathon works

Submit your card by posting it in this thread or to the #showcase channel in the Custom Card Discord Server. That's all you have to do!

Your entry will be assigned a score based on the scoring rubric below. At the end of the week, all the scores are combined and we see how well we did. Last year we amassed an absolutely unheard of 1,116 points. Can we even approach that this year??

This is not a competition between entrants. Though each entry is being scored, your only job is to drive the total score higher. We're all working together towards that singular goal.

• We'll accept any kind of card and there is no limit to how many times the same Pokémon can be used! Fakemon? Go for it! Custom template? Absolutely yes! Trainers? Energy? We'll accept those, too!
  • Artists are welcome and encouraged to collaborate with card makers for more cards!
  • The marathon begins immediately and ends Saturday, December 31st at 11:59:59 PM CST. To ensure all events have the same timeframe, this is a hard deadline - no late entries will be accepted. Don't procrastinate!

Scoring

We allow both text-based and image-based cards for this event; like CaC, the two categories are scored a bit differently.

Incomplete cards (cards that are missing required elements, like illustrator credit, HP, type, and flavor/Pokedex text for those blanks that use it) will not be counted. There is no penalty for editing your post, so if you screw up, make those edits and resubmit ASAP so you can get credit for your work.

Changes from 2022
Scoring has been changed from last year. We had a ton of text fakes thanks to the addition of the Aesthetics category, which is great, but one of my personal goals for this marathon is to get more people into image faking. To that end, I have redone the scoring for both categories. While the text category still caps at 7 (although the points are distributed differently), image is now worth a maximum of 25 points. Even a simple image fake will net you nearly as much points as a perfect text fake, so don't feel like you have to go all out, but for those with the ability to make these fakes, your effort will be properly rewarded with a massive influx of points, as it should be. If you've never done an image fake before, now is the perfect chance to get your feet wet since we don't critique individual cards for the marathon.

Make sure you double check how each category is scored as the points and criteria are different in just about everything. If you have any questions about what qualifies where, just ask.

Text-based (Maximum score: 7)

• Completed entry - 2 points
    • Submit your card and you're already on the board!
  • Gimmick (simple) - +2 points
    • For Pokemon, this essentially covers anything with a Rule Box, but also covers things like Delta Species as well. For Trainers, this could cover things like Team Flare cards.
  • Aesthetics - +3 points
    • Text fakes require less work than image fakes, so you will be rewarded for going the extra mile by using colors, varying text sizes, and sprites in your entry. Here are two examples of cards that would qualify for these points.
    • Trainer cards and Energy cards are ineligible for these points.

Image-based (Maximum score: 25)

• Completed entry - 5 points
    • Submit your card and you're already on the board!
  • Custom blank - +2 points
    • You can get these points even if you didn't make the blank yourself. Whether it's completely new or just an altered version of an existing blank, we only care that it's original.
  • Holosheet - +2 points
    • Got a Pokemon with a transparent background? These are very easy points to earn. You may not want to waste time cutting a Pokemon out of a complex piece of artwork for this point. Keep it simple.
  • Full art - +3 points
    • Full art cards require more effort than typical cards, so you get more points for doing so.
  • Gimmick (simple) - +2 points
    • This bonus includes things like Light, Dark, Delta Species, custom gimmicks, Radiant Pokemon, or anything else that you would find on a typical blank. A rule of thumb is, if your card could be an uncommon, it qualifies for these points. Does not stack with itself (a Delta Species Dark Glaceon would only receive 2 extra points) or with Gimmick (complex).
  • Gimmick (complex) - +5 points
    • This bonus includes things like V, VMAX, and Pokemon ex. A rule of thumb is, if your card gives up two or more Prizes or is typically illustrated with a 3D render or graphics, it qualifies for these points. Does not stack with Gimmick (simple) (a Light Glaceon ex would only receive 5 extra points). A custom gimmick could award you these points at the host's discretion, but don't count on it.
  • Texture - +3 points
    • Don't worry about making this perfect - just add it for those sweet, sweet points. You can combine this with a holosheet or leave it as is.
  • Own art - +5 points
    • Illustrating your own cards takes a lot of effort. We reward that effort with a significant score boost. Note that in order to receive these points, your artwork must be new.

For collaborations between an artist and a text faker, the total image-based score will be split between both entrants.

Rules
  • Proper illustrator credit must be present on all cards. No exceptions.
    • We have a list of artists who have granted blanket permissions to the community on our Discord server as well as in the Help and Resources thread.
    • PidgiWiki is also a very good resource for finding high-quality official Pokémon artwork, which requires no permissions!
    • Of course, you can always seek out other artists for permission or make your own artwork for this marathon.
    • If you're using a screenshot from the anime as your artwork, credit OLM, Inc.
  • High quality cards only.
    • While you aren't specifically being judged on the content of your card, you must still have correct fonts and placement (for images), good balance for whatever format they're intended to fit with, and a presentable appearance. The host reserves the right to reject any card if it does not meet this standard.
  • Card generators are not allowed.
    • If you want to do an image fake but don't know where to start, join our Discord. There are non-Photoshop alternatives out there and we can teach you all about them.
  • All image-based cards must include the Fakers' Marathon 6 Official Set Logo on the card.
    • It doesn't have to be the set logo (although that is recommended), but it has to be on the card.
    • Faking in a pre-SV era? Use this one instead.
  • All cards submitted to the marathon must be new.
    • Cards created before December 25, 2023 are not eligible to be counted. The goal is to create new cards, not repost existing ones.
    • Reposting new entries with slight changes or new artwork will not be counted.
  • Using existing official artwork is prohibited.
    • This covers any artwork that has appeared on an official card in any language. Other artwork by the artist is okay, provided you have permission to use it.

Deadline: Sunday, December 31st, 11:59pm CST
Here's a countdown timer for your benefit: [link]

This marathon's banner and set symbols were made by @CardPone

Official Card List

See this spreadsheet for a list of all the entries and their score breakdowns.

Gible - HP 60 - [F]
Basic
tumblr_mf4tf3x4gI1rpn9eno1_500.gif.c2b2cb1217432172ac15767ff33f9d5b.gif

NO. 0443 Land Shark Pokémon HT: 2'04" WT: 45.2 lbs.

[F] - Reactionary Bite
If this Pokémon takes damage from attacks from your opponent's Active Pokémon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon and discard an Energy card attached to it.

[F][C] - Headbutt 20
Flip a coin. If heads, during your opponent's next turn, the Defending Pokémon can't attack.

Weakness:
[G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat:
[C]

It attacks using its huge mouth. While its attacks are powerful, it hurts itself out of clumsiness, too.

Gabite - HP 90 - [F]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Gible
444.gif

NO. 0444 Cave Pokémon HT: 4'07" WT: 123.5 lbs.

(ABILITY) - Draconic Sands
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon in play, you may attach a Basic Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched [F] or [N] Pokémon.

[F][C][C] - Slash and Tear 70
Discard a card attached to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat:
[C]

As it digs to expand its nest, it habitually digs up gems that it then hoards in its nest.

Garchomp - HP 160 -
[F]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Gabite
28ac53f20fa9441864a5897df37a13ddd02bc763.gif

NO. 0445 Mach Pokémon HT: 6'03" WT: 209.4 lbs.

(ABILITY) - Take Charge
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon in play, you may switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon. If you do, you may move any amount of Energy cards attached to your Bench Pokémon to this Pokémon.

[F][F] - Rend Asunder 80+
This attack does 40 more damage for each Energy card attached to this Pokémon.

Weakness:
[G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat:

The protuberances on its head serve as sensors. It can even detect distant prey.

Hydrapple ex - HP 300 - [N]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Dipplin
1703515830750.png

NO. 1019 Apple Hydra Pokémon HT: 5'11" WT: 205.0 lbs.

(ABILITY) - Apple Nipping
During Pokémon Checkup, if this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, you may put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon that has damage counters on it.

[G][R] - Fickle Beam 150
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat:
[C][C][C]

Seven syrpents live inside an apple made of syrup. The syrpent in the center is the commander.

I like how the Discord Server has been rebranded as the Custom Card Community, but we’re still calling this event the Fakers’ Marathon.

I don’t know if I’ll be participating this year. Spending time with family and even catching all the Pokémon I need to move to Ultra Sun before Pokémon Bank shuts down take higher priority at the moment. The nice thing is I’ve written down plenty of card ideas recently… I’m just unsure whether I have the time to correct my wording.

Let's get this roast a cookin'

dgmh5io-2ab3ca71-bc53-4796-b23a-3bb51b56130b.png

The artwork is a modified version of the art from Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, with an outline and some slight texturing added onto it by yours truly (as I wanted to see if I could add the texture similar to the real cards, while still keeping my usual texture in the back). I am not sure on the wording of the attack effect, as I couldn't find any equivalent irl, but I tried and I think it came out pretty good haha!

Link to the card in case it is needed

Paldean Clodsire – [P] – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Paldean Wooper

NO. 980 Spiny Fish Pokémon HT: 5’11” WT: 491.6 lbs.

Poké-BODY: Wetlands Guide
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Poisoned, the Retreat Cost for each of your [P] Pokémon is [C][C] less.

[C][C] Needle Barrage 30x
Flip 2 coins. This attack does 30 damage for each heads. If all of them are heads or tails, your opponent's Active Pokémon is Poisoned.

Weakness: Fighting (+20)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C]
It lives at the bottom of ponds and swamps. It will carry Wooper on its back and ferry them across water from one shore to the other.

howdy! made a clodsire card themed around poison because there are some really neat poison cards in dp! i have a lv.x spoiler written up for this one, but i want to try and make it into an image tomorrow instead!

A line for day one!

Blitzle_FM6.png
Zebstrika_FM6.png
Zebstrika_LV.X_FM6.png

Thanks to awesomegoats on dA for the Blitzle/Zebstrika art! The LV.X art is from a BLW booster pack art / wallpaper.

Blitzle's first attack is from an old Blitzle PMJ made for his SM set High Stakes. Check it out! :D

Last edited:
My first and probably best card for the marathon, I actually drew the art for this one myself! Hoping for a perfect 25, but I might have missed something. Anyway, it was super fun regardless, and I can't wait to make more.

FM6-1 Cloyster ex.png

cloyster.gif

We have our first 25. Keep 'em coming, everyone. We're at exactly 100 points after one day - still a long way to go if we even wanna sniff last year's record.

Card number 2, and the last for the day. Decided to throw down a classic starfoil holosheet, not super happy with how it looks, but hey, I tried something new.

FM6-2 Electabuzz Lv.X.png

Iron Boulder ex - HP 230 - [F]
Basic - (Future)
1703588278079.png

NO. 1022 Paradox Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 358.3 lbs.

(ABILITY) - Mighty Overdrive
If you played this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during this turn and this Pokémon has a Future Booster Energy Capsule attached to it, this Pokémon's attacks cost [F][F] less.

[F][F][F] - Destructor Horns 200
If your opponent's Active Pokémon was not Knocked Out by damage from this attack, during your next turn, this Pokémon can't attack or retreat.

Resistance:
Retreat:
[C][C][C]

It was named after a mysterious object recorded in an old book. Its body seems to be metallic.

Gouging Fire ex - HP 230 -
[R]
Basic - (Ancient)
1703589353598.png

NO. 1020 Paradox Pokémon HT: 11'06" WT: 1300.7 lbs.

[R][R] - Burning Bulwark 70
Until the end of your opponent's next 2 turns, if this Pokémon is damaged by an attack from your opponent's Active Pokémon, that Pokémon is now Burned.

[R][R][C] - Obsidian Crest 170
During your opponent's next turn, this Pokémon takes 60 less damage from attacks. If you used this attack during your last turn, this Pokémon takes 120 less damage from attacks instead.

Weakness:
[W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat:
[C][C]

There are scant few reports of this creature being sighted. One short video shows it rampaging and spouting pillars of flame.

paldeanclodsire (3).png
the sequel to my text fake from yesterday! never made a lv.x card before but this is my excuse to try! really like how this turned out, nyan's render is so silly i love it so much

(if you saw the unedited version with the unedited rulebox, no you didn't)

Last edited:
XY-Era Clamperl Line!
dgmmhv9-8009d6d0-3652-4648-92b2-06741d4211b3.png
[STAGE1] Huntail HP100 [W]
Evolves from Clamperl

[θ Double]
This Pokémon may have up to 2 Pokémon Tool cards attached to it.

huntail.png

Illus. Illus. & Direc. The Pokémon Company International

[W][W]
Deep Squall 20+
If there is no Stadium card in play, this attack does 40 more damage.

[W][C][C] Luring Fangs
Switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon. This attack does 50 damage to the new Active Pokémon.

Resistance: [R] -20
Retreat Cost: [C]
[23FM02] (PR)

It lives deep in the sea where no light ever filters down. It lights up its small fishlike tail to attract prey.
[STAGE1] Gorebyss HP90 [W]
Evolves from Clamperl

[θ Stop]
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokémon’s Abilities done to this Pokémon.

gorebyss.png

Illus. Illus. & Direc. The Pokémon Company International

[ABILITY] Deep-Sea Tactics
As long as this Pokémon is on your Bench, the attacks of your Huntail and Gorebyss do 20 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[C][C] Hydro Surge 10+
You may discard all [W] Energy from this Pokémon. If you do, this attack does 30 more damage for each [W] Energy you discarded.

Resistance: [R] -20
Retreat Cost: [C]
[23FM03] (PR)

It lives at the bottom of the sea. In the springtime, its pink body turns more vivid for some reason.

Festive Fusions! (ex-era)
dgmmhv4-b2c0e8e1-ed00-461e-8ffc-e0b5451219e9.png
dgmmhuz-7b2c66ad-5ea5-4d5a-89cf-358ad9fa9077.png
dgmmhus-e899b4ec-3ebf-4304-b9ac-63096ee0016b.png
dgmmhue-80c6feb3-e488-4cde-9bc2-34ed8364e381.png
dgmmhu1-b3e86501-0f26-47e4-a90f-745760fb1816.png
dgmmhtx-f57572b8-6266-4d40-b4cc-30293d35cc17.png

Last edited:
the sequel to my text fake from yesterday! never made a lv.x card before but this is my excuse to try! really like how this turned out, nyan's render is so silly i love it so much

(if you saw the unedited version with the unedited rulebox, no you didn't)

You forgot the marathon set symbol.

And here's some more cards!

dgmoo5p-c4057054-350f-4170-a51c-a2ad4d029593.png

dgmot62-b193a979-ea2d-4b89-a3a3-b2e680da6884.png

dgmowfp-c251164a-ba2d-420c-a641-30485c970a6d.png

Last edited:
Here's four more cards! They should total 60 points, if I did my math correctly. Had a ball playing around with different textures for each, and I love how they turned out!

FM6-3 Delphox.png

FM6-4 Gardevoir.png

FM6-5 Hatterene.png

FM6-6 Mismagius.png

Cramorant ex - HP 190 - [L]
Basic - TERA
1703676949482.png

NO. 0845 Gulp Pokémon HT: 2'07" WT: 39.7 lbs.

[C][C] - Supercharged Aim
Search your discard pile for up to 2 Electric Generator Item cards and put them on top of your deck in any order you like. For each card you put on top of your deck in this way, this attack does 50 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

[C][C][C] - Para-Missle 80
If the Defending Pokémon has more remaining HP than this Pokémon, it is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
[F] x2
Resistance:
Retreat:
[C]

With a Pikachu stuck in its throat, Cramorant can use Pikachu's prickling electricity to give its opponents a shock.

Back