Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -... . / ..-. ..- -. --..-- / -... ..- - / .. - / .. ... / .- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -... .. - / . .- ... -.-- !
. ... .--. . -.-. .. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- + .-- .. - ... + --- -. .-.. .. -. . + - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. ...

-..- -.-- --. --- - --- / -. -.- - .- -...- . / -. / -.- - -. -.-- / . ---- -- .- ..- / ..-. -.-.-. ..-. !!! <

All of you stop this now.

You should full stop this, in fact. Because I will make a dash for the exit otherwise.

And, no, I do not feel any remorse for this post. Bring on the trout. :p

jPgsFQU.png

The various challengers nervously waited in the castle's main lounge while the Queen poured over their responses. Shortly, they would be working in entirely new teams! Some were excited about the possibilities the upcoming changes presented; others were scared to lose their valued teammates and dreaded what was ahead. Conversation was light and stilted, and every few seconds someone snuck a furtive glance at one of the many doors, hoping for word to arrive that the Queen was ready for them.

Finally, one of the side doors opened, and a page summoned them towards the throne room. Murmuring farewells, the competitors made their way through the corridor and lined up next to each other in front of the dais.

"Thank you for your patience," Athena greeted them. "I know such changes may be difficult for many of you, so I will dispense with the pleasantries quickly and give you all your results."

At Athena's nod, a page with an armful of small scrolls walked down the line, handing them out to each of the challengers in turn. Inside the scroll was a team name and list of teammates. Eyes flashed, hearts sunk, and bodies reshuffled until they were all standing in their new groups, once again facing the throne.

"First of all," the Queen said as soon as they were reorganized properly, "I will announce that the Palatinate Cynogryphons will be the remaining team. The decision was pretty easy to make when the remaining members of that team flat out said they didn't think their name should be kept. I've given their old banner to Jackson for safekeeping.

"As far as team assignments go... I should be frank with you that I did not use your questionnaires in the manner that you likely intended. Instead of matching people with their desired partners, my aim was more..." she smiled slyly, "something more akin to the opposite. After all, The Challenge is all about overcoming obstacles, and pairing everyone up with their friends and admirers does not foster growth. In addition, there were a few names in particular that were frequently mentioned as desirable and strong candidates, and I did my best to split them up as much as possible to create a more even playing field.

"I hope that you all will learn and develop together in your new teams and be stronger together. Now as for the next challenge..."

Challenge 5 Results
Interim Challenge - Team Swap

The breakdown of the new teams is as follows. The OP will be updated with this information.

As hinted at in the flavour, the purpose of the questionnaires was not to place people with those they asked to work with, but to create teams that might be a bit more interesting and challenging, and also to kind of get a feel of which players were considered to be the strongest/most desirable and split them up.

The Next Challenge?

The next challenge will be posted within the next few hours. Once it begins, there will be a short planning stage for a couple of days to let all of the players acclimate to their new teammates, create communication channels, etc., and then the actual meat of the challenge will begin in earnest.

Since the new challenge will be posted rather quickly, I'm not going to bother hinting anything at you guys about it. You'll just have to wait and see. :p

As hinted at in the flavour, the purpose of the questionnaires was not to place people with those they asked to work with, but to create teams that might be a bit more interesting and challenging, and also to kind of get a feel of which players were considered to be the strongest/most desirable and split them up.

I was *this* close to making my answers incorrect because my hunch said you'd do this. :U

Whelp, I'm a Xanadu Phoenix now. :U

You aren't the only one, just ended up being that my answers were pretty irrelevant and would have been anyway :/

mCay6kM.png

"I hope that you all will learn and develop together in your new teams and be stronger together. Now as for the next challenge..."

Queen Athena smiles as she looks around at the assembled competitors. "I thought it might be fun to have a lighthearted challenge to start off with the new teams. As such, our next challenge will entail playing through a large collection of some of Challesia's best games in a series of rounds. Individual winners will be granted prizes, but the team that performs the worst overall will be forced to eliminate a member."

Athena stands and looks at each of the new members in turn. "Game competition will be both an individual and a team effort. All team members should get to together and get to know each other, then pick which round or rounds they wish to compete in. In certain instances, other team members may be able to assist you.

"Of course, there's a catch." She smiles. "Namely that you will not know which games you will be playing until the time has come to start them. You will be given a vague description, but nothing more. Good luck!"

Challenge 6
The Challesian Games Rally

In this challenge, the new teams will be competing in a series of online games of various types. One player from each team will be selected to play the game of a given round. There will be 5 rounds total (more if a tie-breaker is needed), and the team with the fewest wins will eliminate a member.

Instructions:

1. I'm no longer going to be including a reading rule for all future posts. You ought to know by now to read the rules or suffer the consequences.
  2. Like before, all New Teams must decide on a main form of communication to use between them. Skype, chat rooms, PMs, etc. Make sure that I am added to any and all conversation methods used.
  3. Please look at the full Game/Round Info list in the bottom section for information on the various games rounds. Working with your team, you must decide on 1 player from your team to compete in each round. To help you decide which player should compete in which round, I have given you some vague information about the nature of the game, what options are available for playing it, and what the time frame will be for completing it.
  4. When you have decided on who will be competing in which round, you must announce your decision by posting your round Schedule publicly in thread. There is a format below the Game/Round Info section for you to complete and post. Once a schedule has been posted, it can be altered up until the deadline, but once the deadline has passed, no changes can be made.
  5. There are no restrictions for how many rounds a certain player can compete in. Similarly, not every team member needs to have a slot, such as if there are any team members that are unwilling to unable to play any of the rounds.
  6. The deadline for Schedule Submission is Thursday, February 11th at 3:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 2:00pm GMT, 9:00am Eastern US time, , 6:00am Pacific US time, or approximately the time of this post in your own time zone. If your team has not submitted a schedule by the time the deadline has passed, I will use dice to determine which challenger will play which round.
  7. Once all schedules have been submitted, the 1st round of the Games will begin. Each round of games will contain a link to the game as well as further details of how to compete, and each round will last approximately 48 hours.
  8. Players can use Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant (SoSMA) to enable more than one competitor to play a given round. Please see the SoSMA section below for more details.
  9. The player who performs the best in each round wins one Team Point for their team, and also a SoSMA for themselves as a prize.
  10. The team with the least Team Points at the end of the competition will face elimination. If there is a tie for the lowest number, then additional rounds will be played between the potential losers until a clear loser emerges.

Game/Round Info:

Each Round will include one game to be played and will last approximately 48 hours. The 1st round will start on Thursday after the deadline has passed, and each round will begin right after the previous one has ended.

The days given in this list roughly correlated to days in US time. To get a better estimate of which days/times the deadlines will be for the various rounds in your own time zone, use the time zone conversion info in the rules, assuming that each new round will start approximately at the same time as the deadline.

Round 1: Thursday/Friday
This game is a browser-based flash game, and in fact my favourite flash game in existence. There is also an app available for Android/iPhone for mobile users, and the app version will work for the competition. It's kind of twitchy, but definitely uses some thought.

Round 2: Saturday/Sunday
This is an old abandonware game that can be played online with your browser. It doesn't use flash, but it does require a keyboard, so not exactly mobile friendly. Definitely more thought/strategy oriented, with a very small amount of reflexes needed.

Round 3: Monday/Tuesday
This game is another browser-based flash game. It's a platformer and very very twitchy (and sparkly). Although there is an app available of it, it's significantly different and has a lot of "free-to-play" app game elements that make it unsuitable, so only the flash version linked will be allowed.

Round 4: Wednesday/Thursday
This is a downloadable game .exe (don't worry; it's very safe!). There are instructions available for how to run it on Mac too, if that's your thing. As far as genre goes, it's an RPG-style game, and the way to "win" this round is significantly different from the other games.

Round 5: Friday/Saturday
This game is available as a browser Flash game or a download. It's kind of platformy, but very different from the game in Round 3, as most of its fun comes from a very detailed physics engine and some very amusing challenges. Your score is based on how many levels you can complete before the deadline.

Schedule Form:

To finalize your team's schedule, please post the following form filled out in thread. Forms should not be PMed to me.

[b]Team Name:[/b] [answer]
[b]Round 1 Player:[/b] [answer]
[b]Round 2 Player:[/b] [answer]
[b]Round 3 Player:[/b] [answer]
[b]Round 4 Player:[/b] [answer]
[b]Round 5 Player:[/b] [answer]

Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant: Use 3

(Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.)

SoSMA 3: Summon Games Helper (Challenge 6 only): Anyone who is scheduled to play in any of the game rounds for this challenge can spend a scroll to let another member of their team also play the same game. Both players will be allowed to play the game and submit scores for the win.

Scrolls can be used in this manner at any time up to the deadline for the individual game round. So, if Player A is scheduled for Round 2 but discovers he's really bad at that game, he can spend a scroll to have another player from his team also play. Perhaps Player B happens to be really good at that game. Both players should submit screenshots and either player can win.

NOTE: You can only hire people from your own team to help. You cannot hire any non-players or other team players.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

And that's everything! Good luck, have fun, and please ask if you have any questions. :)

Since all current Skype Conversations and Team PMs are out of date, I will not be announcing anything via those methods until I am invited to new ones for the new teams. :p

I just realized, I am once again the only non mod on a mod team, so much for not ruining that dynamic again q.q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back