XY Re-Remakes of Red/Green

I dont know how I feel about another set of RB/G remakes. Part of me really wants to explore Kanto in its full 3D form on the new 3DS, but another part of me feels like its.... extremely redundant. I apparently wasnt as thrilled to play ORAS as I initially felt I was going to be before I played the game. I was very hyped for the game at the time of release, but the entire time I was playing it, it just felt like it dragged on, and I had that "deja vu" feeling. Even with all of the changes and added story they did. I played the game for months because it was mostly just off and on, picking it up and putting it back down. It just felt like Ive done this before, and it wasnt a new exciting experience. I think they payed enough homage to the Kanto region with generation 6, gen 1 starters are getting quite the fanservice this and last year.

Do I think DP deserve a remake more than FRLG? I cant fully answer that. In technical aspect, no, FRLG could use it more because of all the updates we've received since then, like you stated. But in terms of "whos next in line?", I think DP deserves it. BUT, at the same time, its been a lot longer since Ive played RB/FRLG than its been since Ive played DP. Im undecided on which I would rather play more, since its almost fact that at least one of them will be coming whether we like it or not.
We have to understand too, remakes are there for two reasons. One, the cashcow effect, for sure. They know old fans will be buying the game. Two, so new fans could experience the old stuff. Its a great way to get new fans into the series, especially since most new fans would be completely unable to play the original games since older systems and games are obsolete and hard to find. To Nintendo, anything behind 2011 doesnt exist anymore.

Personally, im more of a fan of the Yellow remake theory. Its something they haven't done yet, it would be made into a single game instead of two, and there are so many things they could do with Pikachu as your companion to make it comparable to an actual competitive Pokemon. I also like the thought on expanding Kanto to Johto in these games to avoid the need for ANOTHER re-remake, but mostly, to keep things different and interesting. I also really like the idea of it being a prequel, since GSC are already sequels, and the legendary birds getting Mega'd.

Would you prefer revisiting Kanto before any other next remakes? Eeeehhhhhh. Not really. Kanto has had its spotlight on more than one occasion.
If there was a new Kanto game, would you prefer if it was a remake or a sequel? Prequel. Or Sequel. But there would be a lot of loopholes if it was a sequel, because of GSC (they specifically say in-game story it was 2 years after the events of RB)

I was also getting quite bored from the 3gen remakes. I think that one reason for it is that they have put most of the new things in the post game such as the Delta Episode. ( The Primal thing was not that unique and different than the normal forms story wise). I wasn't too excited before their release but I did notice how most of the players that got excited and hyped were players that had started playing Pokemon in the 3gen. And when I'm thinking about it- I started playing in Gen II and you can't understand how excited I was when I was hearing about HGSS.

Good point btw about the gen1 Sequel problem. I forgot about that little fact which is that Red/Blue games already have a Sequel and its called Gold\Silver.

Then by my logic it would be a sequel to Gold\Silver and Red/Blue.
Because GS is the sequel of RB.
Which btw would be great- The Kanto/Johto timeline had stopped after Gen3 introduced a whole new region without any connection to Kanto/Johto.
Making a new region that connects to both Kanto and Johto should be amazing. 3 regions game might be complicated to make but still- That is what they should do imo if they want to get us all hyped about Kanto again.

That's what I feel they should do anyway whenever they want to return to Kanto:

Treat Kanto and Johto as inseparable. They're connected and we know Johto exists right over that mountain ridge to the west.
Johto IS the direct sequel to Kanto.
Not just is it filled with the same Pokemon (Rattata, Nidorans, Growlithe, Pidgeys, Caterpie/Weedle, Psyduck, Magnemite, Gastly..all of them) to the degree that if you walk into a random encounter at a random place in Johto, 80% it's going to be gen1, but it actually even brings many gen1 Pokemon into spotlight (Bellsprout tower, Slowpoke Well, canonicaly Lapras is native to Union Cave whereas in Kanto it was just a gift, same with Jynx in Ice path etc..).

If you take a proper look, Johto is exactly what you expect form a region rigth next to Kanto: it is like Kanto, but with extras sprinkled on it.

75% of the new pokemon (gen 2) are:
-hidden in special encounter methods (only at night/morning, on Headbutt trees, in swarms..)
-evolutions with new methods
-babies via breeding
-starters/legendaries
-not even native to Johto (found in Kanto instead)

the last point makes it even more clear, GSC updated both simultaneously.

Conclusion: any return to Kanto should logically be a second sequel of RG, featuring both regions and updating their GS/HGSS-state.
So naturally Houndour would be in Kanto for example, because we only didn't met it as there was no night-time in gen1 yet. IT also adds a Dark type to the regionaldex which solves another issue plain remakes would face.

That's what I feel they should do anyway whenever they want to return to Kanto:

Treat Kanto and Johto as inseparable. They're connected and we know Johto exists right over that mountain ridge to the west.
Johto IS the direct sequel to Kanto.
Not just is it filled with the same Pokemon (Rattata, Nidorans, Growlithe, Pidgeys, Caterpie/Weedle, Psyduck, Magnemite, Gastly..all of them) to the degree that if you walk into a random encounter at a random place in Johto, 80% it's going to be gen1, but it actually even brings many gen1 Pokemon into spotlight (Bellsprout tower, Slowpoke Well, canonicaly Lapras is native to Union Cave whereas in Kanto it was just a gift, same with Jynx in Ice path etc..).

If you take a proper look, Johto is exactly what you expect form a region rigth next to Kanto: it is like Kanto, but with extras sprinkled on it.

75% of the new pokemon (gen 2) are:
-hidden in special encounter methods (only at night/morning, on Headbutt trees, in swarms..)
-evolutions with new methods
-babies via breeding
-starters/legendaries
-not even native to Johto (found in Kanto instead)

the last point makes it even more clear, GSC updated both simultaneously.

Conclusion: any return to Kanto should logically be a second sequel of RG, featuring both regions and updating their GS/HGSS-state.
So naturally Houndour would be in Kanto for example, because we only didn't met it as there was no night-time in gen1 yet. IT also adds a Dark type to the regionaldex which solves another issue plain remakes would face.

Again though, that sort of limits what they can do with the regions if they have to be shackled together all of the time. They're probably not going to add new areas, for instance, because stuffing two regions' worth of 3D areas into one game is a large enough undertaking as it is. And both of the regions are in need of huge updates so I'd rather they focus on expanding on each one individually and making them both feel like a modern experience than make what will basically amount to HGSS with a different storyline path.

I don't think that FRLG need to be remade, since they are already remakes themselves. However, I think that they should be re-released on the Nintendo eShop since Kanto is the only region that can't be played on a DS/3DS. You can already play games with Johto (HG/SS), Hoenn (OR/AS), Sinnoh (D/P/P), Unova (B/W/B2/W2), and Kalos (X/Y), but you can't play any Kanto games unless you put a GBA catridge in an original DS. Plus, it would as be a cool tie-in for Pokemon's 20th anniversary.

I personally wouldn't want a remake of a remake because I was already bored of ORAS because it was a story I had already experienced. But if there was a sequel to red/blue that took place in Kanto, now that would be worth buying. I personally think it would be cool if it took place a few year after the first game and have Red as the champion. Hey maybe even give him a line or two lol. The only thing that really goes against the idea is that the mega evolutions for the starters and mewtwo have already been revealed and if they gave mewtwo a new form/mega/primal reversion I'd seriously face palm. Then again, GF wants to surprise us and believe it or not, they know that we're talking about remakes, meaning it's not very likely there will be any. Now if only GF would actually listen to what we want and give us a Pokemon mmo .__."

I would play through a remake, but it's not something I'm asking for. It would be cool if there was a new Kanto region game where you are a member of Team Rocket. You could start off as a simple grunt and eventually made decisions if you want to leave Team Rocket and try to take them down, or stay with them and try to rise through their ranks. Players should have more decisions on the story in the game aside from choosing which version to get. I really want a main Pokemon game to let the player take on a role other than fledgling trainer from town #1.

Then again, GF wants to surprise us and believe it or not, they know that we're talking about remakes, meaning it's not very likely there will be any.

If people are talking about them, it makes it seem more profitable, not less likely oO

The part about wanting to surprise us is out of context from interviews and was specifically about the next game they were making. It's not like they're now required to avoid doing anything remotely predictable just because Masuda said "heh we wanna surprise you :D" or something XD

it would be so awesome !! but i doubt that they would do another remake of green / red ... if that would be possible , i would prefer a re-remake of gold/silver !
anyway i would buy it , cause i love it !

3e3844e1a4b376eec081740db1edabc6.1000x403x1.jpg

So, according to the creators of Pokemon Go! this mobile game will be available to be connected with the next pokemon game. We can't be sure for anything about this connection right now. And what pokemon did we see in the trailer? None other than some of the original 151 pokemon. Have you ever thought that the remakes go like this: FireRed got Kanto to Gameboy Advanced. Now Kanto, Johto and Hoenn are avilable for GBA. HGSS got Johto to DS. Now Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova are available for DS. ORAS got Hoenn to 3DS. Now Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos are available for 3DS. What's missing? Right. BTW, isn't it suitable to have so many Kanto Megas including the 3 starters and Mewtwo? Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Pidgeot, Beedrill, Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Gyarodos, Aerodactyl, Slowbro and Mewtwo. I f we also get it further, Onix (a Kanto pokemon) evolves to Steelix (a Johto pokemon) available to Mega Evolve as well. Think about it. We get our Mega Starters just like Hoenn did. Giovanni has Kangaskhan to Mega Evolve, Mega Mewtwo can be a great part of the story, maybe even After Game. As for the Elite 4/Champion we can have those megas: Slowbro for Lorelei, Gengar for Agatha, Gyarados for Lance and for Bruno Steelix. Champion can Mega Evolve their starter. Maybe they'll also add some new ones like Machamp, Arbok, Seaking, Snorlax, Nidos, Golduck etc... So, can we expect a Kanto remake? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Right now we first need to return to Kalos. That's what the next games will be about. Not that there was any real doubt about this before, but the new Zygarde formes all but confirm this to be the case. We're basically just waiting for the game announcement now, which should happen any week now.

Those games will "complete" the 6th generation.
Kalos and its lore and characters (AZ) will be more thoroughly explored
a third wave of Megas will arrive (which very likely includes Kalos starters to put them into spotlight after it was "stolen" from them in XY)
and the long awaited Battle Frontier project that has been teased will finally be completed.

That's the realistic expectation for the next game/s.

Now add to that the fact that this generation has already had a big amount of gen1-pandering in XY:
-A copied Viridian forest
-Farfetch'd trade/Pokeflute Snorlax/Lapras Gift
-Kanto starters, with Mega evolutions
-Legendary bird instead of a new trio
-Unknown dungeon Mewtwo, with Megas
-the most featured and most common pokemon in the Kalosdexes are from gen1

As well as the fact we've already had a pair of remakes just now... bringing a Kanto-game now would be extreme, since this generation would be least original (1 new pair with gen1-pandering and 2 pairs of remakes?) and the biggest nostalgia-cashgrab in the history of the franchise.

Of course I'm not saying we are never going back to Kanto, just that we certainly aren't NEXT.
After gen 7 gets started, then we can realistically speculate about a Kanto-based game.

Oh and you mention how so many crucial Kanto-pokemon already have Megas, as if that was convenient for a Kanto-based game. Actually, it's the opposite, if they planned to have a Kanto-game, wouldn't they have waited with all these iconic Megas so they can introduce them in their own game instead of releasing them 2 games earlier? Especially the starters and Mewtwo.

As for Pokemon Go trailer showing just gen1 Pokemon.. it could be that they're using gen1 Pokemon just for marketing purposes (their target includes people who stopped playing pokemon and prioritize a smartphone over an actual handheld), or it could be that it really features just gen 1 pokemon, or that the rest will be unlockable via microtransactions, or any number of things, none of which has anything to do with the main game series.

True the fact that with the new XYZ season announcement will be a game just like it was with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and BW2. BTW, I don't recall the Farfecth'd trade in XY you mentioned though. Where is this?

True the fact that with the new XYZ season announcement will be a game just like it was with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and BW2. BTW, I don't recall the Farfecth'd trade in XY you mentioned though. Where is this?
You can trade for a Farfetch'd in the city with the first gym. IIRC you just need to give a Bunnelby over.

Like @Mitja said, X and Y catered towards Gen I so much that I don't think we're going to get a proper Gen I remake this generation. I really do think that they should give Sinnoh a revamp before Kanto again, because the Gen IV games are let down immensely by the software they use.

Last edited:
Really? I never saw that trade then. Weird.

Did you see it in RBGY/FRLG? It's easier to miss in those games than in XY, because in both cases it's just an NPC in a random house, but XY has it earlier and doesn't specify what Pokemon the NPC wants for it.

Did you see it in RBGY/FRLG? It's easier to miss in those games than in XY, because in both cases it's just an NPC in a random house, but XY has it earlier and doesn't specify what Pokemon the NPC wants for it.
I used this Farfetch'd in FireRed in my first playthrough till the end.

Back