• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

RayEels Decklist BW-on

Milky said:
Pokemon TCG Ray/Eels Deck (60)

Pokemon (13)

3 Rayquaza EX
2 Raikou EX
4-4 Eelektrik

Trainers, Supporters, Stadiums (33)

4 Catcher
4 Ultra Ball
4 Level Ball
4 Random Receiver
4 Juniper
4 N
4 Switch
2 Eviolite
1 Super Rod
2 Skyarrow Bridge 

Energy (13)

9 Lightning {L}
5 Fire {R}

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers with this Decklist. I'm currently playing ZekEels and I'm really glad the rotation is BW-on, it certainly frees up a lot of space in my deck and makes the meta a lot more healthy. I'll be explaining all my choices, some strategies, and some cards I really wanted to try and fit in but were uncertain of their viability.

Rayquaza EX

It's my belief that any RayEels deck should be straight to the point, I've found that Eels + Friends with Rayquaza doesn't really work. A straight 3 Rayquaza is enough, it provides an ample amount of attackers and I can only afford to have 3 KO'd anyway.

Raikou EX

It is speculated that Garchomp Altaria will be a really good deck in the next format. Garchomp is an uneven prize trade with Rayquaza EX, so I feel the best way to deal with this matchup is to snipe their support Altarias with Raikou. Regular Rayquaza is pretty crappy in my personal opinion, it's way too difficult to set up and is just dead space.

Level Ball

4 of these gives you the maximum chance to evolve your Eelektrik on turn two, and serves as Tynamo search / Ultra Ball fodder if you don't manage to get a Tynamo early on through drawing or already have some Eels set up.

Random Receiver

A max count of Random Receiver I feel is necessary in the new format. People aren't running Cheren/Bianca because they're good, they're running them to fulfill the 11 supporter minimum from the PONT days. I personally hate these supporters, so I run 4 Receiver to make just 4 Juniper and N viable. I included Bianca/Cheren to satiate the people who are going to scold me for not using the next best options.

Switch

I really took Switch for granted this format. Only recently I had learnt you could only manually retreat once per turn, and this really messed with my play style. For those times where things are going slow and you only have 1 Rayray powered up and need to quickly retreat to the bench for a serving of Dynamotor then get back there, Switch is for those moments. Should I run 3 or 4 of these?

Super Rod

The deck has no Energy acceleration for fire. I don't want to run the special blend energies because they can be discarded by the opponent way too easily, and can't be searched for or retrieved. I originally ran two Super Rod, but found that one was enough in favour of making space for Switch, so I decreased the count for Super Rod to one. Is one alright? Should I go for two in favour of getting rid of too much fire energy to even attack? All the opposition has to do is knockout your fire energies and you're just left with a petty 100 per turn with Rayquaza. Maybe I'm exaggerating here, but fire energy is not as DCE is to ZekEels where it doesn't matter if it's gone. It's an essential cog in the clock tower.

Fire Energy

Should I run 4 or 5? Maybe I should decrease the count in favour of Super Rod or Energy retrieval? It's great for Raikou so that you have to only discard two energy and it's a necessity for Rayray.

Strategy:

QUICKLY set up Eels with your maxed Ultra and Level Balls (8/60) and start applying early pressure with Rayquaza. Since there are a lot of stage Pokemon running around in the new format too much energy isn't required. Pick off support Pokemon with Raikou and get back discarded fire (Hammers) with Super Rod. Dominate with RayRay if they decide to target Raikou with some fighting dude.

Tech Options:
- Sableye

The one and only tech anyone should consider. I found however, that it messes with RayRay's already inconsistent (enough) play not to warrant its use. Sure, it's a great Junk Arm re
Lacement, but I really don't think I want to use it that much in this deck. Suggestions are appreciated, however.

- Max Potion

I wanted to include this, but my main fear is that I'll end up discarding too much fire energy on RayRay. It's great for Raikou, but Raikou isn't the main focus of this deck.

- Super Scoop Up

More flippy, but more useful. It's a heal, frees up bench space and is highly situational, but effective in those situations.

Common Questions:

Why a 4-4 Eelektrik line?

4-4 Eels give you the maximum possible draw for them. Arguably, you'd only want to set up 2-3, but the 8/60 chance to manually draw into the line and the 8/60 chance to get a ball to search them is too good to pass up. 1/60 chance makes all the difference because you could have one prized or something.

You need 4 prism instead of fire and maybe some of those blend energies and definetly entei ex

Hmmmm i'm not sure how your Switch is running because you already have Skyarrow Bridge but maybe you can test something like this:

- 2 Random Receiver ( you can use only one supporter for turn, and your list have a plenty of that, with 4 RR you'll be with 3 supporters in hand each turn, just do this if you add Bianca)
-1 N ( with one of your EX in front line you'll get prizes fast, then N can't help you so much )
- 1 Eelektrik ( 3 is enough, with your Ball's line you'll get three easy on the bench )
- 2 Switch ( i think Skyarrow Bridge can help you to move around a lot )
+ 4 Bianca ( just do wonderful with Ultra Ball, and will help to find yours {R} )
+ 1 Eviolite ( this one must be in your EX early on )
+ 1 Tornadus EX ( can be charged with Eeelektriks )

Hope this test can make prizes faster

Cake101 said:
you should probably run 2-3 because you'd want to start with it but, you probably wouldn't want to get tons of them mid game. Also although it is Rayeels, you should have a strong non- EX attacker. Like Zekrom:p

I looked over this post until I remembered:

SigilyphDragonBlast26.jpg

Haha, attacking with Eelektrik. The day that happens...

Added 2 Zekrom, arguably amongst the best card in both our current and next format.

...the only Rayquaza/Eel variant seeing any success at all in Japan uses 4 Rayquaza and 2 Rayquaza EX, and for good reason. Rayquaza is arguably (against Thundurus) the best opener you could possibly ask for while prepping for late game EXs. Rayquaza EX is horrible early game, Rayquaza is not, and if you fall behind early game you're going to get destroyed by Altchomp easily.

You don't need to donk, just aggro. Addressing all of your points:

• No, you run 4, not 1.
  • If you can't get a lightning energy T1, you're doing Eels wrong.
  • Why would you use the second attack with your starting Ray at all? Second attack is when you need a backup guy that hits for Fire + 2 Eels and doesn't give up two prizes. Plus, Zekrom doesn't OHKO Garchomp.
  • Your aim isn't to donk, just aggro. Donks are a bonus.
  • Sableye/Hammers uses 40 HP basics?
  • See points 1 and 4.
  • Switch, and eventually Escape Rope. Assuming you ever even need Rayquaza out of the active before it dies.

Have fun at Worlds.

priestkalim said:
...the only Rayquaza/Eel variant seeing any success at all in Japan uses 4 Rayquaza and 2 Rayquaza EX, and for good reason. Rayquaza is arguably (against Thundurus) the best opener you could possibly ask for while prepping for late game EXs. Rayquaza EX is horrible early game, Rayquaza is not, and if you fall behind early game you're going to get destroyed by Altchomp easily.

You don't need to donk, just aggro. Addressing all of your points:

• No, you run 4, not 1.
  • If you can't get a lightning energy T1, you're doing Eels wrong.
  • Why would you use the second attack with your starting Ray at all? Second attack is when you need a backup guy that hits for Fire + 2 Eels and doesn't give up two prizes. Plus, Zekrom doesn't OHKO Garchomp.
  • Your aim isn't to donk, just aggro. Donks are a bonus.
  • Sableye/Hammers uses 40 HP basics?
  • See points 1 and 4.
  • Switch, and eventually Escape Rope. Assuming you ever even need Rayquaza out of the active before it dies.

Have fun at Worlds.

Thanks.

Have you tested against EelQuaza? Or is this based on the Japanese meta.

I've tested against Eels with heavy Rayquazas, and I've tested with myself using both heavy Rayquaza and heavy RayEX. The deck just can't do anything without a strong opening, which it can't get with RayEX alone.

If you're adamantly against Rayquaza, I obviously won't force you to run it, but I'm saying in my testing I've found the Rayquaza-heavy deck works better and the Japanese meta backs up my findings.

priestkalim said:
I've tested against Eels with heavy Rayquazas, and I've tested with myself using both heavy Rayquaza and heavy RayEX. The deck just can't do anything without a strong opening, which it can't get with RayEX alone.

If you're adamantly against Rayquaza, I obviously won't force you to run it, but I'm saying in my testing I've found the Rayquaza-heavy deck works better and the Japanese meta backs up my findings.

Not at all, you provided well constructed arguments and addressed all of my points thoroughly. Updating the deck with heavy regular Rayquaza.

Thanks very much for the help.

Of course. I always enjoy working with people that actually listen.

Looking at your new list, I would throw a Raikou EX or two back in there, for bench-shotting Altarias and incoming Shelmet/Accelgors. The list I tested used 2.

Remember to add a translation for Rayquaza though because it has not came out in English.

You are using too many switches because you are already running Skyarrow Bridge and Rayquazza EX only has a 1 retreat cost. Also, what is your opinion on adding Thundurus and Tornadus to the deck to move energy to your discard for Dynamotor and to your bench for building up Rayquazza EX (I would prefer them over Raikou because you aren't sacrificing two prizes if he gets knocked out)?
I also agree that THIS DECK NEEDS MAX POTION.
The point of this deck is to use Rayquazza EX and burn his {L} energy and then switch him to your deck to be built up by Dynamotor while a second Rayquazza EX attacks.
If you have a {R} energy in your hand you could just Max Potion an injured, benched Rayquazza EX and replace the {R} energy you would be forced to discard.

potterfan256 said:
You are using too many switches because you are already running Skyarrow Bridge and Rayquazza EX only has a 1 retreat cost. Also, what is your opinion on adding Thundurus and Tornadus to the deck to move energy to your discard for Dynamotor and to your bench for building up Rayquazza EX (I would prefer them over Raikou because you aren't sacrificing two prizes if he gets knocked out)?
I also agree that THIS DECK NEEDS MAX POTION.
The point of this deck is to use Rayquazza EX and burn his {L} energy and then switch him to your deck to be built up by Dynamotor while a second Rayquazza EX attacks.
If you have a {R} energy in your hand you could just Max Potion an injured, benched Rayquazza EX and replace the {R} energy you would be forced to discard.

I like your bad advice. Learn why people use Switch.

Wish this thread was Speed Darkrai. This thread is old, I want advice on my Darkrai.donk.

Milky said:
I like your bad advice. Learn why people use Switch.

Wish this thread was Speed Darkrai. This thread is old, I want advice on my Darkrai.donk.

Thanks?
It was just a suggestion.

i like it. it looks like you got everything pretty much down. but i think you should add in some room for bianca
otherwise, great deck C:

owtwem222 said:
i like it. it looks like you got everything pretty much down. but i think you should add in some room for bianca
otherwise, great deck C:

I noticed you have 16 Pokemon not 14.

Back