PokeBeach Album Club

In my opinion, the album sounded more of a hard rock album than a heavy metal album.
I had never listened Black Sabbath before, so I thought it would be extremely heavy and 'dark' music. Well, it wasn't. And I liked it a lot.
Good album. Solid 7/10.

I guess it's my turn?
220px-SUM_41_UNDERCLASS_HERO.jpg

Sum 41 - Underclass Hero

Two reviews one post....ladies...

I'd probably give both a 6.. There were parts of both that I didn't care for at all, but I came away from both enjoying them. For Black Sabbath parts of songs were kinda bad and I didn't care for the guitar sound they had going on, but overall I enjoyed it and came away satisfied.

I have more to say on Underclass Hero because I literally just finished listening to it. I didn't much care for the first few songs. They felt too pop and not enough punk for me. I kinda felt like I was listening to some inoffensive generic pop punk radio song (despite the like one use of certain f words that are censored on the forums, although it was used in an immature context) that felt like something you'd expect to hear in the background from a teen/young adult comedy movie circa 1999-2003-ish, hell I heard In Too Deep on early Malcolm in the Middle, but once it got to Count Your Last Blessings, my favorite song on the album, I felt it picked up. About halfway they tried to do a slow song that I didn't care for either and it was either that one or another one that reminded me of Hate Me by Blue October. The rest of the songs from then on for the most part I felt were better. Now that I relisten to them I like the first song more, but I still feel the album overall is pretty derivative and on the generic side, but executed pretty well. The lyrics were nothing special, but at least they didn't feel as excessively immature/adolescent/whatever as other pop punk I've heard tends to be. This album and the like two Sum 41 songs I've heard before may not be terribly original, challenging, emotional, skillfully played,etc, but I had fun and there's nothing wrong with some simple fun.

First half of the album felt like generic pop... nothing interesting, really, and I'm not really a fan of pop, so it was a big disappointment. Later on it kinda picked up, but it never truly caught my attention, except in maybe two or three songs, which is low considering the album is quite long, making the whole thing almost tiring. It had its good moments, and it was "cool", so to say, at times, but overall it wasn't anything special. At least it was well done, sound quality and vocals were pretty good.

5/10

I am catching up because I had a lot of school stuff all stacking up.

Underclass Hero-Sum 41

This was actually a surprisingly fun album. This is something I would play while playing a game like League of League or Hearthstone were I want energy, and get the brain going. I have never listened to Sum 41(to my knowledge), and I really want to listen to more of their stuff. After the album I wanted to listen to Underclass Hero again because it was so fun. If their is one problem with the album is that all the songs sound really similar.

Overall this album is a fun little listen that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Don't have time to post a super big review, but I'd have to agree with most of the reviews above.
In the beginning, it felt like it was trying way too hard to be edgy and cool and YEAH MAN DOWN WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT EIIFJsLKnklnewoignl
The rest of the album was pretty good. I did not particularly like many of the softer songs, though.
I'd give it a 5 or 6. Probably wouldn't listen again, but it wasn't bad.

I think we need to reboot this.

If @Blui wants to pick an album he can, but if you don't want I will restart the rotation.

I'm in.

My album of choice is the Avalanche's "Since I Left You;" a sample based album that feels like an incredibly visceral experience at times. It's available on Spotify and there's a full album video on YouTube, so it's very easy to stream. Don't let the album name fool you, this is an extremely fun and lighthearted album. Hope you guys like it!

EDITED:

From what I can remember, this album was quite interesting and varied with many different uses of sampling making a quite unique sound. This sort of genre isn't really my thing, but it was an interesting listen. 6/10 (Sorry for the short review, deadlines and depression and tiredness get in the way)

Last edited:
Nice to see this back. It's been a few months since I listened to this album, so I'll come back after a relisten.

I guess I'll give it an 8.

Last edited:
This is a pretty good album. I would actually say it is an amazing album. I haven't listened to a lot of albums that are mostly samples. This makes me want to listen to more. The album really pulled me in with it's introduction and title track "Since I Left You". It is a song I could actually imagine listening to on the radio because it has a very crisp 70's vibe that makes you think you just jumped back in time to the late 60's early 70's were a lot of the samples on the track are from. This track is then succend by three amazing tracks "Stay Another Season", "Radio", and "Two Hearts in 3/4 Time". Then I reached one of the few tracks I really didn't like which is "Flight Tonight" it reminded me of all the annoying elements of dance music. Past that everything was fairly good. Some of the highlights are "Since I left You", "Frontier Psychiatrists", and Radio.

I would give this albums a 93/100. Mostly because of not liking some of the songs in the middle.

I knew absolutely nothing about this record before I hit the play button, and I was pleasantly surprised.

There's something poetic about an album like this being released in the first year of the current century. It has so many samples and mashups from music and film from the past century and it spans so many genres, as well. Seems like a "farewell" of sorts to the 1900s.

It's not exactly my favorite style or genre of music, but it was very interesting and enjoyable. It was able to keep my attention for the most part, something that a lot of EDM and EDM-influenced music can't do. I'm also extremely impressed at the amount of effort, careful deliberation, and knowledge of music and pop culture that went into choosing the samples and properly executing each song.

Favorite tracks on first listen: Since I Left You, Two Hearts In 3/4 Time, Close To You, Frontier Psychiatrist

~8/10. Good stuff.

I don't know if new members are being accepted, but I'd like to join if I can. I really like to find new music to listen to, so this would be a great chance. :)

My choice is Vessel by twenty one pilots.
Vessel500_1.jpg

This album is very 'different' and combines alot of genres into one.
I won't provide a link as some people don't like music videos but the album should be relatively easy to find.
It's a very happy sounding album with some deep lyrics and real emotion woven into it.
It's one of my favourite albums of all time and hopefully yours too!

Back