PokéBeach Create-A-Card August 2013! Yay for Delta Nite and Eagle4!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
xvc74.png

(credit to Xous for the banner because he's a boss like that)​

With 2013 now upon us, a whole new year, PokéBeach Create-a-Card comes back in a whole new incarnation! There will be 12 parts to this contest, one for each month of the year, and it will go over all types represented in the TCG!

Eight months in and we are now at the height of temperature, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. August is very well known for being a month with sweltering hot temperatures, enough to cripple most people to just stay inside all day to beat the heat, as it were. And you guys will be doing just that - you will be beating the heat with your own firepower. Show the climate that your Fire-type Pokémon are stronger than whatever it may throw at you!

~~~

There are two categories for this contest - text-based and image-based. Text-based entails you write up only the words present on the card, not the imagery - but don't forget anything; you need to supply all the words your card needs. Image-based means you have to create the entire card - images, flavor text, and all; appearances thus become quite important.

Since sign-ups fill up really fast for this contest, you're only allowed to sign up for image- or text-based, not both. You may sign up when you please, but all entries are due Sunday, August 25th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8). Make sure your entry is in the thread by then! If I have seen your entry, I will put an asterisk (*) next to your name on the sign-up list. If you feel like you need to drop, do so ASAP so someone else may have your spot.

Also! Starting February 2013, if you're entering the image-based portion of the category, your card will require a set symbol to be on it - specifically, this set symbol, to be placed in the lower-right hand corner, where set symbols usually go (or right below the picture, if working on Classic/Neo blanks, for example). Credits go to our wonderful resident fake card artist [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member] for designing this lovely logo!

Here's the point breakdown...

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We're all tired of effect-less attacks. Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Power/Body/Ability/attack effects. Let's see something cool!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points

There you have it. Point breakdown is a little different in text-based versus image-based fakes, simply because there is such a visual shift in image-based fakes. DNA will be judging the text-based portion of the contest, while CMP will be judging the image-based one.

As with any fake card, please be sure that when using others' artwork, you have explicit permission to use it (as per forum rules). Because the amount of effort needed to put into judging this competition, spots are limited. A total of 30 entries will be allowed for both categories combined (not 30 each, 30 total - and don't pay attention to the 15-cap; if more people sign up the chart will get tweaked). Spaces fill up really fast, so sign up quick!

Try and have fun with this contest. Show off the talent that we have here at the 'Beach!

Deadline: Sunday, August 25th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8).

--------
Anticipated Participants
--------
[td] Image-Based:
  1. [member]Arcticwhite[/member] *
  2. [member]Blui[/member] (dnf)
  3. [member]Delta Nite[/member] *
  4. [member]Flame Claw[/member] *
  5. [member]Momaster12[/member] (dnf)
  6. [member]Nod3[/member] *
  7. [member]PMJ[/member] *
  8. [member]RedArceus[/member]
[/td][td] Text-Based:
  1. [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member] *
  2. [member]Bo$$_89[/member] (dnf)
  3. [member]Chronus MSEA[/member] *
  4. [member]Delta[/member] *
  5. [member]Eagle4[/member] *
  6. [member]Flygon2071[/member] (dnf)
  7. [member]Fraxureking[/member] *
  8. [member]GHJamesGH[/member] (dnf)
  9. [member]GoobieDoob[/member] *
  10. [member]Hegafire0[/member] *
  11. [member]Keeper of Night[/member] *
  12. [member]Lemonnade[/member] *
  13. [member]Lugia123[/member] *
  14. [member]Machamp the Champion[/member] *
  15. [member]MountainDrew[/member] *
  16. [member]Reggie McGigas[/member] *
  17. [member]Ryan Sinclair[/member] *
  18. [member]Salamencetrainer34[/member] *
  19. [member]Teal[/member] (dnf)
  20. [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member] *
  21. [member]Zarco[/member] *
[/td]

Best of luck to all of you!

--------
Hall of Fame
--------
To see who did well in past months, look here!
Image-Based Winners:
  1. January: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  2. February: [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]DXM147[/member]
  3. March: [member]PMJ[/member]
  4. April: [member]Blui[/member]
  5. May: [member]PMJ[/member]
  6. June: [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member]
  7. July: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  8. August: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
Image-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January: [member]PMJ[/member], [member]theducktamer[/member]
  2. February: [member]PMJ[/member]
  3. March: [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member]
  4. April: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  5. May: [member]Blui[/member]
  6. June: [member]Blui[/member], [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]Nod3[/member]
  7. July: [member]PMJ[/member]
  8. August: [member]RedArceus[/member]
Text-Based Winners:
  1. January: [member]Teal[/member]
  2. February: [member]Zarco[/member]
  3. March: [member]Teal[/member]
  4. April: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Fraxureking[/member]
  5. May: [member]Lemonnade[/member], [member]Teal[/member], [member]Zarco[/member]
  6. June: [member]Hegafire0[/member]
  7. July: [member]Teal[/member], [member]Zarco[/member]
  8. August: [member]Eagle4[/member]
Text-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January: [member]Bippa[/member], [member]Hydro Cannon[/member], [member]Keeper of Night[/member]
  2. February: [member]Hegafire0[/member], [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member]
  3. March: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]PellOfTheTundra[/member], [member]Suitcune[/member]
  4. April: [member]Delta[/member], [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member]
  5. May: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Flygon2071[/member], [member]Machamp the Champion[/member]
  6. June: [member]Teal[/member]
  7. July: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Lemonnade[/member]
  8. August: [member]Hegafire0[/member]

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card August 2013!

I'm in for Text-Based. My first time too!

EDIT: I'm going to call Rapidash, BTW.

I'm in for text-based.

Fire seems like a bad type for CaC. All they do is discard Energy or Burn stuff, lol.

Okay because fire I can guarantee an EX card this month, I'll try to get it done ASAP (Image pls)

In for text at 4 AM!

Image based please! Gonna do Houndoom, definitely.

Image Based Pl0x
Edit: FIRST!
4GEOWZ4.png

(Just need permission)

Also...

Possible issues:

Issue: The fonts are wrong!
Response: Wanna bet!? *pulls out binder*

I think I'll go for text based this month.

Image based please! I'm gonna try to get this in earlier than last month.

FIIIRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE SMOKE SHE IS A RISIN'

xy_moltres_by_flamingclaw-d6gb8c3.png

A guesstimation of XY-era power levels, based on the jump from HGSS-BW, akin to the Honedge I made a while back. With thanks to Fang for the original Acanthite blank and textures I modified to make this template, and asche for the artwork.

@MtC: But don't you see? That's exactly why Fire is such a great month for it.
Everyone's added. Nod3, if that's your entry, I put you in but with a ? next to yours. When you get the artwork you want, I'll remove the ?.

Kids, and that is why I decided to do Text-Based.

Nod3 said:
Image Based Pl0x
Edit: FIRST!
[/b] http://i.imgur.com/4GEOWZ4.png
(Just need permission)

Also...

[b]Possible issues:[/b]

[b]Issue:[/b] The fonts are wrong!
[b]Response:[/b] Wanna bet!? [i]*pulls out binder*[/i]
[/quote]

Where it says "[i]This Pokémon is both [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/ad/Fire-attack.png/20px-Fire-attack.png
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Type[/i]" there seems to be a cut on the right side of the Psychic Energy.

Please don't quote images. Thanks! ~IA

Wow, first day this is up and already so many entries. Better get on it then.

This is common. It caps at 30, but we never get more than 24 for some reason. There really isn't a shortage of space, but people are only allowed to sign up for 1 category, not both, to make things easier.

Tentatively in for image.

Back