Pocket Monsters X / Y Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
mxw2KjB.png

This thread is specifically for the Japanese release of the Pokémon XY anime, not the English dub. If you plan on watching the XY anime in a language other than Japanese, please be warned that this thread will contain spoilers.

In the last few episodes of Decolora Adventure, we already met Alexa and her Noivern as a nice introduction to the 6th generation, but on October 17th, Pocket Monsters XY will be officially released in Japan, the start of the 17th anime season.

So, if you're planning on watching along with the Japanese releases, please discuss, comment and/or review with us here! :D

---
Streaming episodes with subtitles can be found here.
---

Current and future episodes:
36) A Sky Battle!? Luchabull VS Fiarrow!! (Jul. 24)
37) Reflection Cave! Mirror World Satoshi and Satoshi!? (Jul. 31)
38) Ohrot of the Crawling Forest! (Aug. 7)
39) Pokémon Summer Camp! Enter the Rival Trio!! (Aug. 14)
40) Serena VS Sana! PokéVision Showdown!! (Aug. 21)
41) PokéEnteering! The X in the Mist! (Aug. 28)
42) Team Battle! Competing for the Hall of Fame!! (Sep. 4)
43) Master Tower! The History of Mega Evolution!! (Sep. 18)

Episodes that have been skipped so far:
24) Undersea Castle! Kuzumo and Dramidoro!! - Postponed until further notice.

RE: [Japanese] Pocket Monsters XY Discussion

Guess I'm the first person to post in my own thread! :D There's a link in the OP to a streaming site now. If anyone else has further suggestions for sites to link to, please share!

---

Watched both episodes today, and I must say I was really impressed! I haven't seen any of the Gen 2 through Gen 4 anime, but these seems to be a much more pleasing start than B&W at the very least. Detailed comments in spoilers below, just in case you haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet:

Like I said above, I was actually very pleased. There wasn't an over amount of setup like for Best Wishes, just getting onto things. Pikachu held his own during his first battle, and Ash was actually recognizing the non-Kalos-only Pokémon he saw on the streets. It didn't seem like Ash was experiencing a reset, just excited to be in a new region and ready for action.

Froakie's definitely been awesome so far. He's reminding me a lot of Oshawott, independent and with a strong personality. He seems like he'll be a fun Pokémon to have on the show, and I'm glad he's Ash's first Pokémon. Haven't really gotten much personality yet from the other Pokémon, aside from the Garchomp that starred in episode 2. How nice to see such a sweet Garchomp! :3 Kind of a shame that we probably won't see him again after this episode, since he belongs to the lab, but maybe he'll come back for more Mega Evolution.

I think it's kinda cool that they started off with Mega Blaziken for showing off Mega Evolution. He seems like kind of a recurring superhero type. I'm guessing this was done to tie into the Torchic event, or vice versa, but I think I like it.

I can already tell Clemont's sister is going to piss me off. -_-;

I'm holding off on judging Team Rocket for this season since we haven't gotten to see a whole lot of them yet. They seem to be leaning more towards silly hijinks than the cold seriousness they had in BW, so I guess I'm willing to wait and see.

Next episode looks like it'll more or less be Ash, Clemont, and the runt finding Pokémon. Obviously Froakie and Fletchling are going to be the main focus based on the title; Ash will probably catch Fletchling. We also saw Dedenne and Inkay in the preview, the latter with Team Rocket, so should be amusing.

Also, I put together a list to help me that I'm going to share since it may help others. I'm not used to the Japanese names of things, so I started compiling a list to compare the Japanese and English names. It's in the spoiler down below, if anyone wants to see for reference.

Pokémon:
Yayakoma = Fletchling
Saihorn = Rhyhorn
Shushupu = Spritzee
Erikiteru = Helioptile
Denryu = Ampharos
Charem = Medicham
Horubii = Bunnelby
Nyarth = Meowth
Sonansu = Wobuffet
Keromatsu = Froakie
Gaburias = Garchomp
Bursyamo = Blaziken

People:
Pansy = Alexa
Satoshi = Ash
Eureka = Bonnie
Citron = Clemont
Musashi = Jessie
Kojiro = James
Professor Platane = Professor Sycamore
Junsar-san = Officer Jenny
Professor Orchid = Professor Oak

Places:
Hakudan City = Santalune City
Miare City = Lumiose City
Masara Town = Pallet Town

Misc:
Pokémon Zukan = Pokédex

Artemis said:
Guess I'm the first person to post in my own thread! :D There's a link in the OP to a streaming site now. If anyone else has further suggestions for sites to link to, please share!

---

Watched both episodes today, and I must say I was really impressed! I haven't seen any of the Gen 2 through Gen 4 anime, but these seems to be a much more pleasing start than B&W at the very least. Detailed comments in spoilers below, just in case you haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet:

Like I said above, I was actually very pleased. There wasn't an over amount of setup like for Best Wishes, just getting onto things. Pikachu held his own during his first battle, and Ash was actually recognizing the non-Kalos-only Pokémon he saw on the streets. It didn't seem like Ash was experiencing a reset, just excited to be in a new region and ready for action.

Froakie's definitely been awesome so far. He's reminding me a lot of Oshawott, independent and with a strong personality. He seems like he'll be a fun Pokémon to have on the show, and I'm glad he's Ash's first Pokémon. Haven't really gotten much personality yet from the other Pokémon, aside from the Garchomp that starred in episode 2. How nice to see such a sweet Garchomp! :3 Kind of a shame that we probably won't see him again after this episode, since he belongs to the lab, but maybe he'll come back for more Mega Evolution.

I think it's kinda cool that they started off with Mega Blaziken for showing off Mega Evolution. He seems like kind of a recurring superhero type. I'm guessing this was done to tie into the Torchic event, or vice versa, but I think I like it.

I can already tell Clemont's sister is going to piss me off. -_-;

I'm holding off on judging Team Rocket for this season since we haven't gotten to see a whole lot of them yet. They seem to be leaning more towards silly hijinks than the cold seriousness they had in BW, so I guess I'm willing to wait and see.

Next episode looks like it'll more or less be Ash, Clemont, and the runt finding Pokémon. Obviously Froakie and Fletchling are going to be the main focus based on the title; Ash will probably catch Fletchling. We also saw Dedenne and Inkay in the preview, the latter with Team Rocket, so should be amusing.

Also, I put together a list to help me that I'm going to share since it may help others. I'm not used to the Japanese names of things, so I started compiling a list to compare the Japanese and English names. It's in the spoiler down below, if anyone wants to see for reference.

Pokémon:
Yayakoma = Fletchling
Saihorn = Rhyhorn
Shushupu = Spritzee
Erikiteru = Helioptile
Denryu = Ampharos
Charem = Medicham
Horubii = Bunnelby
Nyarth = Meowth
Sonansu = Wobuffet
Keromatsu = Froakie
Gaburias = Garchomp
Bursyamo = Blaziken

People:
Pansy = Alexa
Satoshi = Ash
Eureka = Bonnie
Citron = Clemont
Musashi = Jessie
Kojiro = James
Professor Platane = Professor Sycamore
Junsar-san = Officer Jenny
Professor Orchid = Professor Oak

Places:
Hakudan City = Santalune City
Miare City = Lumiose City
Masara Town = Pallet Town

Misc:
Pokémon Zukan = Pokédex

Sounds promising. I'm planning in watching the episodes in English tomorrow and the day after, but I couldn't help but look at the spoilers :p
I'm hoping I'll get to like Bonnie. I just don't want her to be unbearably annoying, more cute and naïve. I can't wait to see the Pokémon battles, the animation just looks superb this time round. And from what I've seen in pictures, any would be shippers of Serena and Ash may have a lucky day, if you get my drift. I agree about Froakie. He looked awesome when I saw a preview clip of him battling Fletchling, so hearing he's got a personality to match it is a great plus for me and my expectations.

I just finished watching the first and second episode! I haven't been this excited about the anime for a long time.

The new Japanese theme song is awesome and it got me hyped up to watch the show.

I was really excited to see Mega Blaziken this early on. I would really love to see Ash get a Mega Pokémon as well. He has some of the Pokémon with potential and the writers seem to put a lot emphasis on his bond with his Pokémon. In the first two episodes even more than usual! He jumped off a cliff for Pikachu even. If I could see him use Mega Charizard it would be amazing!

Something that stood out in Ash's first battle was that Pikachu's Iron Tail animation is back to how it was before (white instead of actual iron colour), which still looks nice in my opinion. I'm curious what the other animations will be like now. I was really happy to see Pikachu was still strong and didn't have his powers reset like in the previous seasons.

Clemont and Bonnie look like nice companions to travel with, but I especially can't wait for Serena to join the group. I wonder whether Ash and Serena have some kind of history or that they just saw each other. She seems to have a nice personality and I'm also wondering what her goal would be while traveling. Would she be competing with Ash for badges? Hmm... I don't know what else there is to do in Kalos! :p

The part with Garchomp made me think that they are definitely going to focus more parts of the anime towards the older audience, which I would really appreciate!

I can't wait for the next episodes!

Bisharp said:
Sounds promising. I'm planning in watching the episodes in English tomorrow and the day after, but I couldn't help but look at the spoilers :p
I'm hoping I'll get to like Bonnie. I just don't want her to be unbearably annoying, more cute and naïve. I can't wait to see the Pokémon battles, the animation just looks superb this time round. And from what I've seen in pictures, any would be shippers of Serena and Ash may have a lucky day, if you get my drift. I agree about Froakie. He looked awesome when I saw a preview clip of him battling Fletchling, so hearing he's got a personality to match it is a great plus for me and my expectations.

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of a character we're going to get from Bonnie so far. Overall, she's behaved better than most "little girl" characters in anime that I can think of, but there's still just.... something grating on my nerves about her. I guess time will tell.

Drohn said:
I just finished watching the first and second episode! I haven't been this excited about the anime for a long time.

The new Japanese theme song is awesome and it got me hyped up to watch the show.

I was really excited to see Mega Blaziken this early on. I would really love to see Ash get a Mega Pokémon as well. He has some of the Pokémon with potential and the writers seem to put a lot emphasis on his bond with his Pokémon. In the first two episodes even more than usual! He jumped off a cliff for Pikachu even. If I could see him use Mega Charizard it would be amazing!

Something that stood out in Ash's first battle was that Pikachu's Iron Tail animation is back to how it was before (white instead of actual iron colour), which still looks nice in my opinion. I'm curious what the other animations will be like now. I was really happy to see Pikachu was still strong and didn't have his powers reset like in the previous seasons.

Clemont and Bonnie look like nice companions to travel with, but I especially can't wait for Serena to join the group. I wonder whether Ash and Serena have some kind of history or that they just saw each other. She seems to have a nice personality and I'm also wondering what her goal would be while traveling. Would she be competing with Ash for badges? Hmm... I don't know what else there is to do in Kalos! :p

The part with Garchomp made me think that they are definitely going to focus more parts of the anime towards the older audience, which I would really appreciate!

I can't wait for the next episodes!

I actually kind of hope it takes at least a few episodes for Serena and Ash to meet up, and the longer the better. I think I'd like to see Serena come into her own a bit and then meet up with Ash as something more akin to an equal and form a healthy rivalry. If that makes sense. Of course, having not seen any of 2-4, I have no idea how most traveling companions meet up with Ash, so I don't have anything to compare it to aside from my own ideas. :p

I also super hope we get to see Ash with a Mega Charizard. :D I'm not sure what other Megas he could possibly end up with. I do hope that Garchomp comes back for his Mega form and that we see a lot of Megas show up in the show.

This saga reminds me a lot of Hoenn so far. I think I may enjoy it.

precita said:
This saga reminds me a lot of Hoenn so far. I think I may enjoy it.

Would you mind telling me what about the episodes remind you of Hoenn and what you liked about that season of the anime? It would help with those of us (*cough*likeme*cough*) who aren't as knowledgeable about the show as a whole. Would be cool to get your opinion and compare it later on in the show. :D Same for anyone else who would like to chime in as well.

Aside from the obvious 4 person group with a little sibling character? Well Ash is mature and competent which started back in Hoenn, there's a sibling dynamic and Team rocket seem back to the way they were in late Johto or early Hoenn.

I know its too early to say anything about Serena but she seems like a mix of May and Dawn in personality, I just hope she gets a good goal.

Also Froakie is reminding people of Treecko.

Well, I just watched the subbed episodes, and I have to say, I really liked it. Having watched most of Sinnoh and really enjoyed it, BW was a pretty massive let-down, even though I stayed with it until I'd lost all hope. (Graphically, BW was a big step up from DP, and a lot of my favourite Unova Pokémon, ie Krookodile, Beartic and Excadrill were main characters on the show.) Not quite as awesome as Heracross and Charizard were way back in the day, mind you.

But yeah, XY really raised the bar. The graphics are exceptional, the VS battle screen was fantastic, very game-like. I also enjod the Froakie GET screen, Team Rocket's motto looked very slick, and the graphics in general just popped. Pikachu's iron tail still works, even if it isn't a metallic texture anymore, and quick attack looks mighty fancy. The greatly decresed reliance on using repeated move scenes makes the battles feel much more fluid, too. My only niggle was that I didn't realise Garchomp was using hyper beam until I was told that. It looked like a dark-type move.

Plot-wise, Team Rocket pleasantly surprised me too. Actually using Wobuffet for its defensive psychic moves totally threw me, I never expected that. They're obviously still goofy villains, made to lose, but they kept an aura of technological savvy from BW. The two characters seem tolerable enough for now, but I'm looking forward to seeing the other gal most, the couple of button scenes at the beginning and end of the episodes actually pain her as an interesting character with an actual personality, so that'll be interesting. Ash is surprisingly competent too. There's a lot of focus on how much he wuvs all the pogeymanz, so I'm really hoping for a nice strong bond with a certain fire/flying powerhouse of his that is conveniently able to mega-evolve. I enjoyed him running through the streets and saying "I have no idea what that thing is!", but then turning around and identifying Ampharos, for example. Nice of the writers to prove he's not totally useless. Same goes for Pikachu. Obviously it's not quite up to beating a Latios, but it battled acceptably, giving the Bunnelby some time to shine too. (Side-note, I love the ear-drill thing it does, reminds me of Excadrill...)

It looks like Froakie's being a mix of Charmeleon's impetuousness, Sceptile's I'm-too-cool-for-this-ness, and Oshawott's adoreableness. I'm cool with that. I bet it won't evlve though, no matter what the reddit thinks. I was waiting fo r a -moustachioed Samurott last season, and was bitterly disappointed. I have no such hopes this time.

TL;DR, I'm actually going to try and keep up with this series, it's showing promise.

precita said:
Aside from the obvious 4 person group with a little sibling character? Well Ash is mature and competent which started back in Hoenn, there's a sibling dynamic and Team rocket seem back to the way they were in late Johto or early Hoenn.

I know its too early to say anything about Serena but she seems like a mix of May and Dawn in personality, I just hope she gets a good goal.

If you read back to my post where I give my opinion, you'll note that I said I haven't seen anything of the gen 2-4 anime, so I none of that was obvious to me, no. :p But thanks for humouring me. I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out!

And I really do hope Froakie evolves, no matter how unlikely it may be. >.>

Artemis said:
precita said:

If you read back to my post where I give my opinion, you'll note that I said I haven't seen anything of the gen 2-4 anime, so I none of that was obvious to me, no. :p But thanks for humouring me. I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out!

And I really do hope Froakie evolves, no matter how unlikely it may be. >.>

Unlikely? I don't think Froakie is one of those Pokémon. He makes feel as though he's going to go all the way, but I don't want to put my hopes up too high right now. I was already let down by BW with Ash's starter Pokemon, so I don't want to set myself up to be let down again.

Ash didn't lose to a level 5 pokemon! Woop! Woop! He just isn't starting off as a noob this time either, which is awesome! Froakie looks promising, as doall the characters. The one criticism i have is that he doesn't yet have a rival... but oh well

At last I found time to watch the preview episodes!
This was certainly an entertaining premiere! It felt so much more exciting and cinematic compared to previous premiere episodes. As everyone else has said it's a total joy to see Ash no longer looking as clueless as he was in BW. The animation department seems to have pulled out all the stops this time, with so such joyous battle scenes with the one between Bunnelby and Pikachu. Now, I have to say the main cast seems quite different from previous travelling groups. Clemont's a likeable person, not seeming so much of a know it all and more modest. Bonnie is sweet and energetic, but still has unfortunate potential to be teeth gritting annoying. Serena had almost no screen time at all, but I was left a bit annoyed on how vague her previous relation to Ash was. I was kind of hoping she'd have more screen time, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. The action was my favourite part though. Froakie was just awesome from start to finish. I especially loved the moment when Ash caught him. The bit where the Pokeball nods was a nice touch as well. What I found funny was how much falling down there was in these two episodes. I was surprised the narrator didn't say "On this episode, Ash falls down, Clemont falls down, Bonnie falls down, Serena falls down and Ash falls down (again)" Right now I am just so eager to see more of the season in the future, but I'll have to pace myself till February comes. Somehow there is a great sense that XY will be one of my favourites.

RE: Pocket Monsters XY Discussion

I'm curious about who the Lumiose City Gym Leader will be. In the games it's Clemont. Will he also be the anime Gym Leader or will there be someone else? So far the anime has been quite consistent if I recall correctly; even Iris' in-game Gym had a different Leader in one version. If he is indeed the Gym Leader, will Ash find out beforehand? If he isn't, who will be?

I kind of got the feeling that Clemont was the Gym Leader, but he was kind of embarrassed about it. I'm not sure why, though; maybe because Ash was so forcefully kicked out of it? Maybe he's new? In any event, I do think he will end up being the Gym Leader when Ash goes back to battle there.

They eluded to Clemont being the gym leader with the who "Who's the gym leader?" "Well you, see..." and Clemont getting interrupted before telling him.

I don't think I've been this excited for the Pokemon anime, I usually just watch it out of routine or when I'm bored, but I'm actually have this really high on my anime list. I loved how they made the beginning an animated version of the start of the game with Fletchling waking Serena up. That, some other instances where incorporated the game, and the animation quality makes this feel like a combination of the regular anime series and Origins.(Some may not agree with on that, but that was my initial thought) I actually love all the character so far: I would take Bonnie over Max and even though Clemont's onesie annoys me, I really like him so far. Froakie does remind me of Treecko and judging by the preview, maybe even a little Charmeleon is thrown in there. I really loving him and Garchomp. I've always liked Garchomp and seeing a docile/cute one makes me love him even more.

Oh and one more thing, the ost is epic and I'm not talking about video game tracks, I'm talking about the others. The OP is definitely one of my favorites and did you hear the music playing when Ash was climbing the tower and when he confronts Garchomp? Holy crap it was amazing!

scuba steveE said:
They eluded to Clemont being the gym leader with the who "Who's the gym leader?" "Well you, see..." and Clemont getting interrupted before telling him.

I don't think I've been this excited for the Pokemon anime, I usually just watch it out of routine or when I'm bored, but I'm actually have this really high on my anime list. I loved how they made the beginning an animated version of the start of the game with Fletchling waking Serena up. That, some other instances where incorporated the game, and the animation quality makes this feel like a combination of the regular anime series and Origins.(Some may not agree with on that, but that was my initial thought) I actually love all the character so far: I would take Bonnie over Max and even though Clemont's onesie annoys me, I really like him so far. Froakie does remind me of Treecko and judging by the preview, maybe even a little Charmeleon is thrown in there. I really loving him and Garchomp. I've always liked Garchomp and seeing a docile/cute one makes me love him even more.

Oh and one more thing, the ost is epic and I'm not talking about video game tracks, I'm talking about the others. The OP is definitely one of my favorites and did you hear the music playing when Ash was climbing the tower and when he confronts Garchomp? Holy crap it was amazing!

Couldn't agree more with you. When Black and White came, I wasn't that interested with how samey it was to the original series, but this just feels fresher, improved and more exciting. And yes, Garchomp and Froakie were just epic. What a debut for a starter Pokémon!

I read the spoilers for XY003 and still Serena hasn't joined the group yet. I sort of get the feeling they're creating some build up to her meeting with Ash. Sorry if I sound stupid saying that, considering how obvious she likes him, but there's a sense that there's more build up than I first thought.

I haven't watch a full season of the anime since May departed right before D/P. I think part of it had to do with 4Kids losing the dub, the other part was that I started losing interest around the middle of the battle frontier. So usually I only tune in during an evolution, gym, rival, or league battle.

X/Y seems to be a little better than the past few season of the show though. A friend of mine who isn't a fan of pokemon watched the first episode the other day and said he enjoyed it aswell. Maybe this season will change my mind. haha

Someone in this thread said that this generation reminds them a lot of hoenn, and I have to agree with them. Hoenn was my favorite part of the series, so if anything this makes me really happy. Bonnie, Clemont, and Serena definitely foreshadow May, Max, and Brock with only a few minor differences.
May/Serena- The beginning trainers. Both are unsure about what they really want from their journey.
Bonnie/Max- That annoying little sibling that cant wait until they're old enough to have their own pokemon.
Clemont/Brock- Two gym leaders leaving their gyms to perfect their skills (not involving the gym in brock's case)

Ash's team in Kalos so far.
Froakie- Omg it's sooooooooooooo cute! I love fennekin, but froakie has a piece of me too! lol
It also reminds me quite a bit of ash's treecko mixed with a little tiny bit of defiant charizard. haha
Fletchling- I love how fiesty it was in it's intro. It reminded me of Taillow.
Another flashback of Hoenn!! Taillow stole a piece of chocolate from Ash & co. before he captured it. ( haha I know thats not huge but still eeeeek it reminds me of my childhood! :'D) Now Fletchling is stealing berries! haha

I hope Serena chooses Fennekin. I mean I can't see her with Chespin, and Ash already had Froakie so... lol
I wonder if they'll follow up with the pokemon she has in the game like Meowstic? I doubt she'll have an absol, but hey anything could happen!
They could continue the Hoenn stuff and give her a vivillion. :eek:
May - Torchic/Beautifly
Serena- Fenniken/vivillion

I think it'd be cool to see Serena with a Roselia, too though. I've always wanted a main character aside from a rival to have one. XD;

I have no clue what Clemont will have seeing has he has a bunnelby. haha Just through me completely off.

Bonnie should eventually get that cute little Dedenne. <3<3 They're a perfect match!

I'm very cautious when it comes to new seasons and I haven't yet watch the episodes but I'm glad that James is still the nice guy who feeds Pokémon and captures them with his kindness. I'm also happy that he now has an Inkay but I do hope that it'll see action and more importantly, that it gets a lot of character development.
I'm still hoping that James "captures" a Phantump and Jessie a Skrelp.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back