Discussion Okay, Tapu Lele-GX's Price is Outrageous

Okay, I need more peoples opinions on my situation...
I recently bought a scale to weigh packs (Don't hate on me).
I could get about 15 weighed packs, instead of buying a lele
Since Pokemon did the 2 code card thing, it makes it harder to guarantee a good card. Basically I have found with weighing Guardians Rising, I have about a 50% chance to get a an Ultra Rare. Would it be better to just buy a lele, or would it be better to just keep buying packs in hopes that I get one out of the 20 something Ultra Rares in the set. Even then Guardians Rising has a lot of cool Ultra Rares.

(No I don't go to 1 store and weigh all the packs and scam all the people there. I buy about 3-5 packs at a time, and even then I am not guaranteed anything. Then maybe I go to another store a few days later, heck my Target hasn't had Guardians Rising for like a month. I also buy sealed products, don't hate on me for buying 3 weighed packs and putting the rest of the good packs in the front of the rack).
Buy the Lele, Lele appear around 1/case meaning a 1/216 chance of getting it (plus it's not as "shady")

+1

I would buy the Lele and get it over with. There are no guarantees with those packs, and you could very well pull 10x Wishiwashi Gx.

I may have made one of the best financial investments in my pokemon history bought 12 normal art leles for a great steal when the price is currently 53 dollars market lowest tcg player 59.99 and will probably continue to grow

I may have made one of the best financial investments in my pokemon history bought 12 normal art leles for a great steal when the price is currently 53 dollars market lowest tcg player 59.99 and will probably continue to grow

Just remember not to sit on all of them too long. ;)

We've heard no talk of a reprint but Pokémon is a fickle mistress. Imagine if Tapu Lele-GX had released in Sun & Moon; we might have seen Shaymin-EX (ROS) prices drop before most folks either already had them or were done (competitively) for the season. XP Everytime I think they can't replace an already potent card with something even more powerful... they do. >_<

Just remember not to sit on all of them too long. ;)

We've heard no talk of a reprint but Pokémon is a fickle mistress. Imagine if Tapu Lele-GX had released in Sun & Moon; we might have seen Shaymin-EX (ROS) prices drop before most folks either already had them or were done (competitively) for the season. XP Everytime I think they can't replace an already potent card with something even more powerful... they do. >_<

Of course I think the best way to avoid this is not to have more than you need. I mean who needs 12 Lele's? Just saying if it were me I would only need enough for a deck (probably not even a play set at that) and for my collection. That's like eight unneeded Lele's. Granted there is the trading aspect but it's not always guaranteed. How do you trade them if you don't need much of anything?

How do you trade them if you don't need much of anything?

You can always sell them for money. That is actually the entire reason for money; creating a common unit of value so that we don't have to try and constantly barter goods and services. ;) (Yes, as an adult you know that, but we do have some younger board members that may not have learned this in school.)

What might be worth considering is that @nepeta1000 enjoys trading and/or selling, or at least is skilled at it and can turn a profit. I doubt nepeta1000 is going all sub-Seto Kaiba* and holding onto them just to deny others access to them (and reduce their odds of beating nepeta1000 in a children's card game). XP My warning was probably unneeded, but then again I know people who had pages of Base Set Charizard cards shortly before the post-fad crash back in... was it 2000 or 2001?

*This is sub-Seto Kaiba level as that character was actually stupid enough to rip up cards, ignoring that no one in the Yu-Gi-Oh! setting uses card sleeves while often using their cards in ways that increase the odds of them being damaged. If I had talent, I'd draw a joke panel showing Kaiba accidentally bending one of his copies of Blue-Eyes White Dragon immediately after ripping up Yugi's grandpa's copy. XP

I honestly just got into the pokemon market with burning shadows so I don't have that much experience quite yet XD. I just had some money lying around and was like why not. I also have a sell out price to sell the cards once tapu lele reaches a certain profit per card

got an email saying they are apparently out of copies of lele before my order was even processed :(

Last edited:
I would like to see a 'Island Guardian Collection' with Alt. Arts of all the Tapu's. If they did make it though, it would probably be around £60+ and be released around the holiday season.

I would like to see a 'Island Guardian Collection' with Alt. Arts of all the Tapu's. If they did make it though, it would probably be around £60+ and be released around the holiday season.
I Cant imagine they would do that that soon b/c it would halt the sale of GRI by a large amount. Maybe next winter they would but I do not see that be realistic for this winter unfortunatly. Look how long it been for them to finally make that for Shaymin EX.

I Cant imagine they would do that that soon b/c it would halt the sale of GRI by a large amount. Maybe next winter they would but I do not see that be realistic for this winter unfortunatly. Look how long it been for them to finally make that for Shaymin EX.

Maybe the box would cost so much that it would be cheaper just to buy a regular Tapu Lele. Or to compensate for the price.

The problem is Pokemon doesn't profit off of resellers so it's not like buying a Lele makes them any cash

Though, to be fair, the secondary market does feed the primary market. A reminder for myself as much as for anyone else, as I do try to consider that when making my various arguments. XP The question is exactly how much? For that matter, the true primary market is whatever company does the manufacturing and/or initial shipping of product to the distributors that tend to sell to retailers, or even other distributors. @_@

Might as well throw my two cents into this. There's a total of two options when it comes to Lele: Buy it or don't. The context you are using "Serious" in implies that you wish to compete and win in large organized tournaments. That's the anomaly, as much as you may hate to realize this: You can't get very far if you don't own Lele. Currently, there are no alternatives to this card, at least in standard. You can say Octillery, but his ability doesn't let you search for a supporter.

I can't judge you if you can not afford a Tapu Lele GX, because that's just a scummy thing to do. But in reality, the longer you don't have it the larger impact it will have on your financial state. So if you don't have the means to buy it, Pokebeach has a trade thread.

My third thought is that I don't know what I should even say. Because either way, I'm wrong. I could say that people who want a promo are selfish because they don't have the money to purchase a Tapu Lele GX, or I could say the people who don't want a promo are selfish because they don't want others to have the card. And this is really what Pokemon is: a pay to win game, the very principal that causes problems in many modern video games. But this isn't a video game (Correction: IRL TCG is not a video game) You can't fix it with a patch, because no matter what TPCI does, someone will get angry, and someone will be selfish.

Just be careful.

Many people get valuable cards and hold onto them until they collapse. I had a friend going nuts over his 3x Mewtwo EX's he pulled from a box. For reference, Mewtwo Ex would go for more than Tapu Lele due to how dominant he was in the EX format. Some decks literally ran 4 Mewtwo's and one or two tech cards to go with it. The Mewtwo's alone ruined much of the format due it obliterating everything. With 170hp basics still being astonishing to us at that time, we were left with either pulling a Mewtwo or not winning. It was as simple as that.

The only counter to Mewtwo was Mewtwo. When something like that happens, you know there's a problem.

Anyway, eventually tins came out, and Mewtwo was in. My poor friend waiting to "cash in" on his Mewtwo's realized he missed out on easy money. With Mewtwo being an easily obtainable promo, the price went down dramatically.

Moral of this lesson: Nothing will ever be worse than when Mewtwo came with the reintroduction of EX's

I can't judge you if you can not afford a Tapu Lele GX, because that's just a scummy thing to do. But in reality, the longer you don't have it the larger impact it will have on your financial state. So if you don't have the means to buy it, Pokebeach has a trade thread.

My third thought is that I don't know what I should even say. Because either way, I'm wrong. I could say that people who want a promo are selfish because they don't have the money to purchase a Tapu Lele GX, or I could say the people who don't want a promo are selfish because they don't want others to have the card. And this is really what Pokemon is: a pay to win game, the very principal that causes problems in many modern video games. But this isn't a video game (Correction: IRL TCG is not a video game) You can't fix it with a patch, because no matter what TPCI does, someone will get angry, and someone will be selfish.

Just a note about the trade thing, you're right. But honestly if you can't afford to buy a Tapu Lele GX times however many you want then what are the odds you have trade material that someone is willing to accept for a Tapu Lele GX. I mean those who know it's trade value are going to want that same equivalent in return and I won't even abdicate ripping off a little kid who doesn't know what they have there. I traded to get the two full arts I use for my deck, along with other things like the SR Rare Candy from S&M, some cash and a couple other things was massive.,.don't want to say what the card was but it was a very old and expensive WoTC Pokémon card I happened to have doubles of and even then it was hard to let it go, and not everyone in this day and age can say that they have that card.

Yeah the promo thing is double edged indeed. Part of me would like a promo released, it would be so much easier for everyone who wants to play competitive. And yet I would feel massively ripped off with the above trade I mentioned if I could buy two twenty dollar tins for them. Granted they wouldn't be full art but that's beside the point, I traded for the two full arts because there were no regular arts to go for. At the core that's what most games are these days, pay to win.

5 regular, 1 Full Art, 1 Hyper ^_^
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Anyway, the struggle continues.
So, after my blatantly loud post on page 1 of this thread, (to who it offended I apologise,) I have realized I will in fact have to begin the long journey up the mountain of cash to get Lele instead of complaining. Poor me. Anyway, on day one of this thread, Lele was what, $40? Holy Moly, now it's $60. What song plays when you get more money and check your Lele funds?
The Indiana Jones theme. No seriously: whenever you check your Lele fund, put on the Indiana Jones theme. Trust me.
Well. My Lele fund starts in two weeks, after I get my 2 Guzma,4 FFB, and a Goomy Deck Box and sleeves.
Man, I'm terrible at saving up.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Anyway, the struggle continues.
So, after my blatantly loud post on page 1 of this thread, (to who it offended I apologise,) I have realized I will in fact have to begin the long journey up the mountain of cash to get Lele instead of complaining. Poor me. Anyway, on day one of this thread, Lele was what, $40? Holy Moly, now it's $60. What song plays when you get more money and check your Lele funds?
The Indiana Jones theme. No seriously: whenever you check your Lele fund, put on the Indiana Jones theme. Trust me.
Well. My Lele fund starts in two weeks, after I get my 2 Guzma,4 FFB, and a Goomy Deck Box and sleeves.
Man, I'm terrible at saving up.
I seriously pulled another yesterday.

Back