Is the cartoon even any good any more?

I'll admit the cartoon itself has become a bit too child friendly, and it would be a nice change of pace If they changed the main character to somebody else who Ash met before like Harrison maybe? Ash and Pikachu are still going to be around for the next Season and quite possibly for Generation V as well.

I don't have anything against Ash but I feel that the way the producers of the series treated him in the Sinnoh Saga was horrible and probably the reason why is due to Dawn being the main focus especially with Piplup being the mascot of the Diamond/Pearl series as well as her Contest Battles as well.

It will probably take forever for Ash to become the World's Greatest Pokemon Master. You still got to remember that Pikachu is the overall mascot of the franchise, not even Piplup can compete with that. For all we know Richie could become a new main character since he has a Pikachu as well.

It's already been 12 Seasons in the Anime series and yet Ash still lacks skill and solid strategy like his rivals to win battles. If he can battle as good as Gary or Paul can then there's still hope for him yet. I'd say quit with the same formula and don't be hasty about it.

And for the love of God please reveal what Ash's real father is, we all know it's not the Mr. Mime that lives with his mom in Pallet Town. For years everyone's been debating who Ash's father really is and it's not Giovanni from Team Rocket especially not even Silver who was trying to catch a Moltres either.

At the beginning, Ash had a reason to be ignorant. He was ten years old and just starting. But the thing is, he's like..twenty five now. He should be the smartest trainer ever. Plus maybe his face should change because of his aging. He hasn't gotten ANY better at battling, despite his Pikachu never leaving and practically being level 1,000,000. Maybe he goes back to level five when he leaves a region..

Anywho, I think the series died when Misty left the party. Not saying Misty was the best part, but trying to replace her was a fail. What's better than two gym leaders following Ash? Now it's a retired gym leader and varies from a photographer, contest coordinator (I think), coordinator's little brother, and "sketcher" (Don't get me wrong, Tracy was one of the coolest guys ever). Let's face it, Misty was Ash's best companion save Broke and Pikachu.

So what's so wrong with May, Max, and Dawn? Well, May and Dawn are complete morons. No battling power at all (And I can't believe her Blaziken tied with Sceptile. Ash's Sceptile was so much cooler). Dawn just fails at life.

The movies aren't getting much better either.. it seems Cliché. "Ash saves the ___". It went from World to Sea to SPACE and the UNIVERSE! Seriously, Ash isn't GOD now..

In short, yes, the series got boring, and dumb.

When it comes to the Pokemon Anime series I'm still an optimist so to me it hasn't gotten that bad but there could be better improvements made at least make a timeskip series where Ash is older, oh wait that would be weird with Team Rocket being in their 50's wouldn't it? :p

Old raspy voice: "We're blasting off again!"

..Seriously, wouldn't all those falls kill them by now?

I agree it`s getting so bad most of them would be dead. Ash could be in hospital because of the things that happen to him, but no they don`t show you it.

It is so unreal.

Lately, I've been searching for episodes of the Kanto season online. The dub wasn't bad for the first few episodes. From what I've seen, the first few episodes were almost word for word translations from the original. The Kanto season is the only one I like. It's also the only one I saw in its entirely because for the longest time I didn't have television.

I never saw the Johto season and only saw bits and pieces of the Hoenn season, but I've seen quite a lot of the Sinnoh episodes and I hate them. In all the episodes I've seen, I don't think Ash fought one significant battle in any of them. They were all just helping out the character of the day. Sure, those existed in a lot of the Kanto episodes too but, as someone else said, it didn't take a year to get from one Gym to another. I also don't like the changed voices. Brock sounds like he's always angry to me and no one can be the Meowth Maddie Blaustein was.

I saw the episode Charmander, The Stray Pokémon the other night and was surprised that Team Rocket's antics were actually comical and not just annoying. I was also shocked they acknowledged that Charmander would die if his tail flame went out, multiple times if I remember correctly. In a later episode I happened to see, they simply said Charmander would be "unable to battle anymore" or something along those lines. That just goes to show how watered down the already diluted anime got.

So, yeah, those are my thoughts on the anime. It really needs to find a new direction to go in. Ash and Pikachu may be the mascots of the series, but watching the mascot dance across the field is only entertaining for so long. Eventually fans want to see the rest of the team. Replacing Ash would be a good idea. Gen. V should focus on Ash's son or even daughter going on a Pokémon adventure, with Ash appearing only every so often to share some advice. The main character can still have a Pikachu if need be, or maybe begin with a Pichu instead and have it later evolve.

In my opinion, the best thing to ever come out of the anime was the Haunter Ash befriended in Tower of Terror. Man, if Pokémon were real, I'd totally want a Haunter like that one! I love that little guy!

Maybe if ash just won for once in any of the championships. He has never advanced past the top 8 in any of the leagues or conferences. On top of that the whole never aging thing is rediclous, are we seriously made to believe ash is eternally 10 years old even though we know the grand festivals/league championships are all held once a year. Also the elite four and champion have never played a major role in anything outside of the video games, save for cynthia since I pretty sure I saw her in one of the episodes I watched. Seriously if these elite trainers are so grand and powerful how come they are more rare to see than jirachi or mew (I'm serious I think we have seen both of them more in the anime and movies more than any elite trainers). My recomendation start an anime serious involving the trainer Red from the pokemon special manga any one of those volumes would be better than every single combined episode of ashs greatest expliots. Seriously at least those plot lines go somewhere and end eventually and best of all the characters.... wait for it.... AGE (everyone has shocked look on their face).

AshTheHero said:
I agree it`s getting so bad most of them would be dead. Ash could be in hospital because of the things that happen to him, but no they don`t show you it.

It is so unreal.

Don't even get me started about the Ash Ketchum Theory where it says he's been in a long coma since the Spearow incident after he got Pikachu in Season 1.

It was during that moment when there was a thunderstorm going on when Ash was attacked by a group of Spearow and when Pikachu used thunderbolt on them combined with another one from the storm itself it caused Ash to black out.

I think that the Anime has gone downhill so much. I mean, Ash steals ideas for strategies from other people (Dawn in particular), and lets face it, who wants to watch an episode dedicated to a brother and sister attempting to get a Dusk Stone. Honestly, these filler episodes..... I would prefer no Anime at all. And also, why does Porygon get banned all those years ago, when in fact it was Pikachus Thunderbolt that caused it. BAN PIKACHU!!!!!! It is stupidly overpowered, yet at the same time so stupid it can't even defeat a Lairon (in the Iron Island period). And also why does Ash always have to defeat each trainer he fights? Well, to be honest he needed 2 tries to beat Gardenia, though one wasn't an official gym battle. And also, how come his Turtwig can beat a Rampardos without great difficulty when he gets owned by a Cranidos.

I'd say the quality of the plot has gone down, but I still get a nostalgic feeling when I watch it in the morning. I remember last week there was a Johto marathon and I thought, these episodes are SO much better than the new ones.
Anyways, I do think that the anime is getting worse.

>.> Pikachu should be at least Lv. 90 by now.

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Pikachu's level?

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

What!? 9000!? That's impossible!

:p

I agree with an aforementioned remark that Pikachu's level must reset whenever he enters a new region. Otherwise, by this point he'd be as overpowered as Sasuke Uchiha from the Naruto manga and could defeat his opponents just by looking at them.

I agree. It is Pikachu's awesome boringness that totally ruins the Anime. It is so annoying, each episode always has TR stealing someones Pokemon and it just gets so boring and unoriginal. All they do is: "Pikachu Thunderbolt!" then TR go "We are blasting off again!!!" Now, what would be so exciting is if they actually managed to steal Pikachu, take it to Giovanni and they have to go and rescue it.

I honestly hate DP. The voice acting has gone down the crapper and the lines are so boring. DP is so watered down compared to season one, and Ash and co. take about a minute to introduce themselves to what every new character followed by a "Thank you very much ___!" Also, all of the characters have lost their personalities. Ash is a moron now, but in season one, it was fun to watch him bumble around but now, he has no excuse. They all feel like cardboard cutouts with pre-set phrases programed into a speaker. GOOD BYE PIKACHU MADE ME CRY FOR GOD'S SAKES! Pikachu saving the day is so boring now, and Team Rocket is a joke, not like they were a threat anyway, but in the first few eps. they actually seemed threatning. Go watch an episode like Showdown at Dark City and compare it to what ever crapfest was on this past Saturday and tell me which you enjoyed more.

They really need to let Ash and the gang age finally. It was during the unown movie wher ash was finally 11. And really, when are we going to learn who ash's dad finally is? HG/SS shot down the rumors of it ever being giovanni.....we need some closure!

PheonyxXx said:
They really need to let Ash and the gang age finally. It was during the unown movie wher ash was finally 11. And really, when are we going to learn who ash's dad finally is? HG/SS shot down the rumors of it ever being giovanni...we need some closure!
I also wondered about Ash's dad. I don't think the creators of Pokemon wants us to see how his dad really looks like. I really used to like the old Ash in the old episodes, he used to be funny and cool. Now he is more serious most of the time and not much funny.

The anime has been going downhill for years now if you ask me. While people hated 4Kids, I think one thing 4Kids did right was giving the characters a lot of life (especially in the Indigo League arc). Ever since PUSA took over, not only do the characters in general seem more bland, the "jokes" make no sense. Sure 4Kids had some beyond corny jokes and puns, but they worked in my book.

However, I don't think it's only the dub, I believe the source material is all too similar. While yes subs can be great for a lot of anime, I don't even think Pokemon's is that great. SO many fillers in the series anymore. Barry was probably the best thing to happen to the DP arc, but he only pops up rarely. He's full of life and is an overall goofy snob, which makes me thing back to the first season. I just think the show needs new writers: In Japan AND elsewhere. So many cool stories and plots they could create from things within the Pokemon lore, yet they focus on the most boring CotD's anymore. Once again, the 1st season had unique problems for the CotD. Anymore it's like generic "MAH POKEYMAN WON'T BATTLE AND DOESN'T LIEK ME, HALP ME OUT ASH AND DAWN!"

i've noticed from a lot of people that they don't want to accept newer thing. no offense but thats a good thing. we loved it when we were young and pokemon aired on tv for the first time and we couldn't let go of it. we've developed memories over it and wish that it would never change, but it is a fact that things will change and while some people accept that others won't. I liked the dp series but they do need to step it up a notch if they want the grab the attention of their fans. the story it self is beginning to look a litle dull but the animation, and characters have vastly improved. voices however.....it's ok

Back