Blog Iron Crushing the Format: An In-Depth Mega Scizor Review

Just lost my R3 tourney match due in no small part to Crushing Hammer flips. How do you guys feel about Crushing Hammer in this deck? Do you think the tails-fails risk is worth it? Or is Enhanced Hammer / Team Flare Grunt in combination with Iron Crusher enough?

The risk might be worth it but what did you lose to?

The mirror. It was due not only to his heads flips, but my tails flips as well.

Just lost my R3 tourney match due in no small part to Crushing Hammer flips. How do you guys feel about Crushing Hammer in this deck? Do you think the tails-fails risk is worth it? Or is Enhanced Hammer / Team Flare Grunt in combination with Iron Crusher enough?

I only run one Flare Grunt. Enhanced hammer is mostly a dud as your M Scizor is going to be doing the same thing most of the time. Sure it opens up the stadium + energy double but so does flare grunt or just playing your own stadium. Until there's a proliferation of decks that want to run multiple special energy on the same pokemon I don't think it's necessary.

I'm not a fan of the crushing hammers either. By removing those you give yourself for more tech options that are just more reliable. Not sure of your full list but try something like this for the mirror. Max Turbo x2, Max Potion, Olympia in place of 4x crushing hammers. It's a fairly strong setup for many other matchups too giving you prize denial, speed/energy recovery, mobility/gale thrust enabling.

Last edited:
We need to find a way to effectively stop the Volcanion Matchup. It is gaining hype in several league challenges and theres gotta be a way that this can stop. I went 5-1 in my league and that one loss was to volcanion. The others were mewtwo, rayquaza, dark-tina, mewtwo, mega gardevoir.

Yeah, but how did the Volcanion do? I can't see it being anywhere near tier one. It has bad matchups against just about every deck.

There is no beating Volcanion, but at least we can take solace in the fact that its poor matchups across the board will deter people from using it.

I still managed to end up in a higher rank than that deck. Im guessing it does have bad matchups against other decks. It only has a good chance against Scizor.

I'm looking to run Pidgeot EX and Magearna EX seems to pair well with it. I dont lose DCE to Stardust and there won't be a chance I have a Pokemon out that could get confused by Zorua or some equally annoying effect. My play style is a little more defensive than others so I like to work in preventative measures to help. Sure I can run Olympia but I find Switch a better option. I already know it will be a target, but so is any other bench sitter so my opponent would need to waste more resources to deal with it.

Might be Worth mentioning to you guys that magearna ex doeant prevent status conditions, just effects like damage change. Paralysis, confusion, etc still stick.

Might be Worth mentioning to you guys that magearna ex doeant prevent status conditions, just effects like damage change. Paralysis, confusion, etc still stick.

If does prevent them if it as a result of an attack. If a Pokemon has a metal energy and its on the field, you can't paralyze them with bubble, for example.

You should Remake this when Guardians Rising comes out.
its only weakness is Fire types basically and they are slowly moving away from the meta.
When Altar of the Sunne comes Mega Scizor will be good in most matchups.

Im a Mega Scizor Player and have been waiting for this stadium forever...
Im going to pick up two Steel Sun Theme decks and stock up on those Altar's of the Sunne's

Back