Blog Iron Crushing the Format: An In-Depth Mega Scizor Review

So I was looking for a new study, and this has definitely inspired me. With all due respect PMJ and WastedSkyPirate, it seems like I'm frequently coming across Pokemon with effects, and I'm always looking for Pokemon with effects to use against my opponents.

But that's one of the things that bugs me a little bit about forums in general - there's a little bit to much "I feel" and "it seems," so I'm going to put some numbers on this and track how many pokemon I come across that have attacks with effects Maggie would prevent AND how many times these attacks are actually used. I'll let you know what my findings are in a couple of weeks.

When it comes to Megearna EX, I'm the type of player that would like to have one in the deck and then avoid shenanigans. If a Frokie paralyses two times in a row, thats two turns of setup or snipe damage they get. Its more of a safety guard for me because I hate losing to randomness. I feel any deck that can use at least 1 should if you worry about attack effects.

Hi @crystal_pidgeot

If you're running Garbodor in your M Scizor-EX list (which I think M Scizor should) then you won't have to worry about snipe damage in the Greninja matchup.

On the one hand Magearna-EX is a "safety guard" but don't forget it's only got 160HP which makes it a vulnerable target for Lysandre and a relatively easy 2 prizes.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from. The peace of mind against haxy things is welcome. It's down to the player to make a judgment call on whether having a potential liability on the bench is worth it for blocking Bubble, Moonless Madness, etc.

Hi @crystal_pidgeot

If you're running Garbodor in your M Scizor-EX list (which I think M Scizor should) then you won't have to worry about snipe damage in the Greninja matchup.

On the one hand Magearna-EX is a "safety guard" but don't forget it's only got 160HP which makes it a vulnerable target for Lysandre and a relatively easy 2 prizes.

That is true but a Magearna EX with FFB has 200 HP, which is still hard to take down. The free snipe turns are mitigated if you just block the ability but not all decks can use Garbodor but they might be able to use Magearna EX, which will prevent random ways to lose the game.

So I was looking for a new study, and this has definitely inspired me. With all due respect PMJ and WastedSkyPirate, it seems like I'm frequently coming across Pokemon with effects, and I'm always looking for Pokemon with effects to use against my opponents.

But that's one of the things that bugs me a little bit about forums in general - there's a little bit to much "I feel" and "it seems," so I'm going to put some numbers on this and track how many pokemon I come across that have attacks with effects Maggie would prevent AND how many times these attacks are actually used. I'll let you know what my findings are in a couple of weeks.

That's a really good idea!

I mean, if you go to a local league every week and over half the people there are playing things like Malamar, Darkrai (Abyssal Sleep), Registeel, etc., then by all means play Magearna-EX. But when you go to a big tournament you expect to see the big decks; my point is that the big decks do not run these types of Pokemon at present and, if they do, their core strategy does not revolve around the attacks with effects.

I can see this potentially changing in the future though. So Magearna-EX is definitely a card to keep safely tucked away in your binder (also the Full Art version is a gorgeous card).

So here's maybe part of my problem too: I only play on tcgo, I don't play in real life, and I know the tcgo universe is A LOT different than the real world.

I think maybe that's where a lot of our disconnect (again, maybe just my disconnect) may come from.

And yes Maggie is a darn good looking card.

Hooray, discussion! \o/

First of all, let the record show that full art Magearna-EX is indeed a gorgeous card, and really, all you need is one, so you should get one if you don't have it already.

When it comes to Megearna EX, I'm the type of player that would like to have one in the deck and then avoid shenanigans. If a Frokie paralyses two times in a row, thats two turns of setup or snipe damage they get. Its more of a safety guard for me because I hate losing to randomness. I feel any deck that can use at least 1 should if you worry about attack effects.

So run Olympia.

That is true but a Magearna EX with FFB has 200 HP, which is still hard to take down. The free snipe turns are mitigated if you just block the ability but not all decks can use Garbodor but they might be able to use Magearna EX, which will prevent random ways to lose the game.

Lysandre and two Shurikens + Moonlight Slash will OHKO Magearna-EX, and that's not exactly a once-in-a-lifetime situation.

Also, running Magearna requires you to run Metal Energy, which pretty much no non-Metal decks do. You can cheat with DDE but that's about it.

I feel that attacks you will only see less than once a game on average aren't worth teching for, especially when I can solve those problems with the switching card of my choice as opposed to a do-nothing benchwarmer who is susceptible to my opponent's Garbodor.

Hooray, discussion! \o/

First of all, let the record show that full art Magearna-EX is indeed a gorgeous card, and really, all you need is one, so you should get one if you don't have it already.

So run Olympia.

Lysandre and two Shurikens + Moonlight Slash will OHKO Magearna-EX, and that's not exactly a once-in-a-lifetime situation.

Also, running Magearna requires you to run Metal Energy, which pretty much no non-Metal decks do. You can cheat with DDE but that's about it.

I feel that attacks you will only see less than once a game on average aren't worth teching for, especially when I can solve those problems with the switching card of my choice as opposed to a do-nothing benchwarmer who is susceptible to my opponent's Garbodor.

I'm looking to run Pidgeot EX and Magearna EX seems to pair well with it. I dont lose DCE to Stardust and there won't be a chance I have a Pokemon out that could get confused by Zorua or some equally annoying effect. My play style is a little more defensive than others so I like to work in preventative measures to help. Sure I can run Olympia but I find Switch a better option. I already know it will be a target, but so is any other bench sitter so my opponent would need to waste more resources to deal with it.

I'm looking to run Pidgeot EX and Magearna EX seems to pair well with it. I dont lose DCE to Stardust and there won't be a chance I have a Pokemon out that could get confused by Zorua or some equally annoying effect. My play style is a little more defensive than others so I like to work in preventative measures to help. Sure I can run Olympia but I find Switch a better option. I already know it will be a target, but so is any other bench sitter so my opponent would need to waste more resources to deal with it.

Fair enough, I suppose. Since it's more important to keep a two-Energy card in play as long as possible, running Magearna-EX with a Colorless Pokemon like Pidgeot-EX (hype) seems like a better idea than running it alongside a Pokemon that doesn't really need it.

Fair enough, I suppose. Since it's more important to keep a two-Energy card in play as long as possible, running Magearna-EX with a Colorless Pokemon like Pidgeot-EX (hype) seems like a better idea than running it alongside a Pokemon that doesn't really need it.

Thats pretty much my reasoning there. I just came up with a 6th deck list for it. I think Magearna EX is one of those cards you wish you had when something comes up and you have no way to avoid it.

I dumped the garb line for a 2-2 zoroark line with 2 dce's and have had much better results. Garb just isnt really necessary right now outside of greninja and volcanion and the latter is a loss anyways although zoroark can make it close. The stand in allows for easy gale thrust and the ability to do more than 120 dmg can be big keys against so many matchups. There's just not enough decks in the format that can manage without filling up their bench right now there's a lot of decks that can manage without abilities.

I'll have to try that. Zoroark would give you a nice way to punish the fact that Ray needs a full Bench or he's not OHKOing.

It's quite off-topic, and I'm not even sure why I did it in the first place, but Magearna has found a home in my Glaceon/Jolteon build. As Mew has a rainbow & DCE attached, it is sometimes useful to have a different, more powerful move to leech off of. Particularly when going up against Mewtwo; 120 + weakness. I would agree it's not much use in a Scizor build.

Magearna-EX makes a better partner for Mewtwo, actually. It gives him a fighting chance against STS Mega Gardevoir.

It's quite off-topic, and I'm not even sure why I did it in the first place, but Magearna has found a home in my Glaceon/Jolteon build. As Mew has a rainbow & DCE attached, it is sometimes useful to have a different, more powerful move to leech off of. Particularly when going up against Mewtwo; 120 + weakness. I would agree it's not much use in a Scizor build.

Speaking of Mew...

I'd like to hear some thoughts about playing 1-2 copies of Mew in Mega Scizor builds.

Purposes:
-Great starter for max elixir
-Free retreat opens up easier 1st or 2nd turn 110 damage attacks
-(Most importantly) can OHKO M Mewtwo with Scizor's Gale Thrust

I feel like keeping Mew on the bench either forces a Lysandre or maintains the threat of a OHKO on Mega Mewtwo, one of the most common decks I've seen so far. Anyone have any experience playing around with Mew in this deck?

I don't know if I mentioned this in the article, but Mew is rendered useless by Garbodor. You also can't use Garbodor and Mew together.

To be fair, Garbodor is truly only necessary in the Rayquaza matchup since you fold against fire anyway, so you are more than welcome to run them both simultaneously and just avoid dropping it if you need Garbodor (or play it; it does have Encounter, and free retreat, after all).

Another thing I should say is Magearna EX can OHKO the fairy M Gardevoir EX in a single hit, which makes it to where you dont really need a counter for it. Haven't tested it but in any deck that uses metal and DCE, you have an attacker and Gardevoir can't KO it back.

Another thing I should say is Magearna EX can OHKO the fairy M Gardevoir EX in a single hit, which makes it to where you dont really need a counter for it. Haven't tested it but in any deck that uses metal and DCE, you have an attacker and Gardevoir can't KO it back.

Yep. I said that, three posts up.

Scizor doesn't need Magearna cause, y'know, Metal, but Mewtwo sure does. Since Psychic Infinity is Colorless, running one or two Metal Energy isn't the worst idea in the world. You still wanna use Damage Change, so you don't wanna use too many, but I don't think two would kill ya.

Yep. I said that, three posts up.

Scizor doesn't need Magearna cause, y'know, Metal, but Mewtwo sure does. Since Psychic Infinity is Colorless, running one or two Metal Energy isn't the worst idea in the world. You still wanna use Damage Change, so you don't wanna use too many, but I don't think two would kill ya.

Oh, I missed that but yeah, running a few couldn't hurt. Magearna EX and Carbink really improve the Scizor matchup.

I don't know if I mentioned this in the article, but Mew is rendered useless by Garbodor. You also can't use Garbodor and Mew together.

To be fair, Garbodor is truly only necessary in the Rayquaza matchup since you fold against fire anyway, so you are more than welcome to run them both simultaneously and just avoid dropping it if you need Garbodor (or play it; it does have Encounter, and free retreat, after all).

I probably missed it; in my head I was thinking of the non-Garbodor Hex build. Definitely doesn't seem ideal to run both, but I don't mind your idea of adding one in order to significantly improve the M Mewtwo matchup.

Just lost my R3 tourney match due in no small part to Crushing Hammer flips. How do you guys feel about Crushing Hammer in this deck? Do you think the tails-fails risk is worth it? Or is Enhanced Hammer / Team Flare Grunt in combination with Iron Crusher enough?

Back