OU: Strategy How Would the Metagame be Different if...?

Rune Yagami

Aspiring Trainer
This is a speculation thread about how the metagame would change if certain Pokemon knew certain moves or were a different type, or if certain things didn't exist.

Feel free to post new ideas, but make sure they make some sense. Don't suggest that Venusaur learn Ice Beam or something.

Here are my first few ideas/topics of discussion:

How would the metagame be different if Jolteon could use Spikes?

How would the metagame be different if Jolteon had an ability similar to Iron Barbs/Rough Skin?

How would the metagame be different if Stealth Rock did not exist?

I got this:

It wouldn't. There are better Spikes setters who can last more then a turn.

How would the metagame be different if Jolteon had an ability similar to Iron Barbs/Rough Skin?
It wouldn't. Jolteon isn't bulky enough for the ability to do much.
However, if it had this ability instead of Volt Absorb, I think Jolteon would see much less play.

Talonflame.
Talonflame everywhere.

It wouldn't make a huge difference because Jolteon only has one viable role.

Again, it wouldn't make a difference because Jolteon doesn't take hits well enough to get the additional damage off.

Massively, there would be a much wider variation in teams due to a lot of the 4x weak to SR Pokemon being relegated to lower tiers. These Pokemon would see more usage. Dragonite would be even more of a threat because its Multiscale couldn't be broken on switch-in, bulky Volcarona would be more of a threat because it would have an easier time switching in. Talonflame would also appreciate the lack of SR

How would the metagame be different if Flareon had a better movepool?

Keeper of Night said:
How would the metagame be different if Flareon had a better movepool?
Depends on what a better movepool would include.

EQ/Nature Power for one.

It finally got Flare Blitz this Gen but it still suffers from a shallow pool. It has an amazing Base Attack but it doesn't have the movepool to back it up.

Freedomeon said:
Keeper of Night said:
Depends on what a better movepool would include.

EQ/Nature Power for one.

It finally got Flare Blitz this Gen but it still suffers from a shallow pool. It has an amazing Base Attack but it doesn't have the movepool to back it up.

It doesn't really make much sense for Flareon to have EQ in my mind. It is sad that Flareon doesn't have good attacks.

If in the second installment of Gen 6 games gave Eevee access to Play Rough, then Flareon could see some play:

Flareon w/ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Facade
-Play Rough

...or you could use a Choice Item.

I don't think Flareon would be that good even with a better movepool. Sure, that problem is HUGE, but Flareon doesn't sport any sort of high Speed or bulk for the matter, and it lacks priority. It would be like a physical version of Magmortar.

How would it differ if Fairy Types were weak to Poison and Ice, instead of Steel?
Or if Ice Types got a 50% Defense boost from Hail.

Granted base 65 Speed is absolutely atrocious, it has access to Flame Charge but if you're running Guts - Toxic Orb you're not really going to appreciate the damage from setting up the boosts.

With Flareon, it is also worth noting that Nature Power is now Tri Attack in Wifi Battles, not Earthquake.

What if Ice was not a terrible defensive type? Like say it also resisted Flying (wind only makes snowstorms colder) and Fairy (very few magical fairies are known to endure the harshness of winter)

Isn't Avalugg supposed to be good? I saw it listed as OU in Smogon.

Also, didn't someone say the type chart wouldn't change mid-gen, because it would cause disadvantages to other Types? Well, Ice is already at the bottom of the list and all GF did with it this gen is made it even worse and it doesn't help that Fairy and Ice share a weakness.

What would the meta game be like if stat boosting moves didn't exist (swords dance, Dragon dance)
I think it would be just a game of delaying, crippling the opponent with status moves.

Blob55 said:
Isn't Avalugg supposed to be good? I saw it listed as OU in Smogon.

Also, didn't someone say the type chart wouldn't change mid-gen, because it would cause disadvantages to other Types? Well, Ice is already at the bottom of the list and all GF did with it this gen is made it even worse and it doesn't help that Fairy and Ice share a weakness.

From what I've seen, Avalugg is probably the best defensive Ice type - I fought one in a random online battle and it survived a Flare Blitz from my Mega Blaziken.
I also recall Masuda said they wouldn't change the type chart mid gen.

What about if there was a Stealth Ice instead of Rocks?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't think Ice needs to be better offensively. It's already great there.
Defensively, it definitely needs a boost. Possible types it can resist (imo) are Bug, Fairy, Water, or Flying (or any combination). A Defense boost during Hail I also approve of.

Here's some food for thought:
What would the metagame be like if Mega Stones didn't exist?
My say is it'd kinda be like BW1 meta - i.e. nothing particularly overbearing (except for Blaziken). Gen 6 did introduce a lot of cool new things and Mega Stones are not one of them.

Then again I could be wrong. There could be no difference at all... except no one would use Pinsir anymore. That's the only real downside. ;-;

With no Mega Stones we'd have about 30 new Pokemon and then people who complain about there being no Pokemon would now complain about how the designs suck.

How would the metagame be different if Chandelure had a high base speed stat?

It definitely wouldn't be used for Trick Room anymore. :p

PMJ said:
With no Mega Stones we'd have about 30 new Pokemon and then people who complain about there being no Pokemon would now complain about how the designs suck.

But the designs ALREADY suck on a bunch of new Pokémon. Have you even sen the Barnacle line?

• Bunnelby and Diggersby. I can't believe there's someone in XY who actually thinks Bunnelby is cute!
  • Talonflame. Fletchinder looked so awesome and cute, then it evolved into... this. It looks WAY too bulky to be fast.
  • Litleo and Pyroar. Eh, Litleo looks more like a bear to me and Pyroar just looks boring, especially the male one.
  • Aromatisse. I thought Spritzee would evolve into a Fairy/Flying type Parrot, but instead it got turned into a hideous cancan monster.
  • Slurpuff. Cotton Candy to a cupcake. Odd choice, and one that could of been designed much better.
  • Binacle. Looks like worms with claws on their heads came out of a rock pie.
  • Barbaracle. From two heads to seven and one pie to two. I always thought there should be a middle stage, as this jump makes it look completely unrelated.
  • Aurorus. This evolution doesn't do it for me as it looks more like a fake Pokémon than a real one.
  • Sylveon. Looks creepy and its official artwork makes it look all squashed, like it's pressed between two glass slides.
  • Hawlucha. We finally got a Fighting/Flying type and it's not even a proper bird.
  • Zygarde. Very ugly and green. It also has questionable typing, as it looks nothing like a Ground type.

How would the metagame differ if Slaking had Slow Start as a Hidden Ability?

Keeper of Night said:
How would the metagame be different if Chandelure had a high base speed stat?

It definitely wouldn't be used for Trick Room anymore. :p
How high are you talking?

Reggie McGigas said:
How would the metagame be different if Regigigas had Clear Body?
It'd go to Ubers.

Blob55 said:
How would the metagame differ if Slaking had Slow Start as a Hidden Ability?
This would be interesting. Unlike Regigigas, Slaking can use Protect and Substitute to stall out the Slow Start turns. It doesn't seem like enough to take it out of NU though, but it would be a buff.

Back