Tournament Had an "interesting" league challenge experience.

I'm sorry to hear those players interfered with your match, OP, but @CrownAxe brings up points that I would like to emphasize. Be clear, make eye contact, and be confident. I'm not saying you didn't do any of these things, but as a friendly reminder it is always better to go slow and ensure you're making the plays in the correct order so that you can rewind them with confidence. This way, when players try to call you out, you can shut them up easily and, if a judge is there, explain the situation in detail.

Best of luck in the future.

Say they have caused confusion and delay.
Ha ha I get the reference :)
images

For those of you who don't know, that's a direct quotation from Sir Topham Hatt from Thomas the Tank Engine :)

Why don't we rename 'warnings' to 'alerts' or 'signals'? Then nobody would feel like they did anything wrong.

People would eventually associate the new terms with most of the same negative connotations as the old... especially as those may have other meanings in terms of game rules (such as not alerting or signaling other players in the middle of a game).

On to the main topic, this is the kind of thread one needs to be careful when making. I know because I've made threads like this before, and usually they make things worse. >_<

@Seastrome, I wouldn't have known anything about you getting a warning except you've brought it to my attention. Of course, I only play via the PTCGO so it doesn't really matter, nor do I know who you are in real life. If you were worried that these two made you look bad, then you're only making things worse by going to something other than a local-player message board/reddit/whatever to discuss things.

Have you tried to contact any of the player's in question? That is the best way to begin resolving such issues. It won't remove the Warning, but if they made a legitimate mistake, now they'll know. Also, it means little why they were there; some people just like to play, ya know? If it was to earn some easy points, it was to earn some easy points; not thrilled with it but I haven't figured out a better way to do Organized Play. XD

Yes, announce things clearly. In this thread, you clearly explain what you did; if you couldn't remember in the heat of the moment, that is unfortunate, but I'm not sure why it was that difficult to remember. All that was relevant to the situation was "I used Professor Sycamore, then used Fairy Spring to play a Fairy Energy from my hand, bringing it down to six cards. I did not use Abyssal Draw and accidentally draw too many cards." If you struggled to explain that when challenged, tournament play really might be something you need to avoid. I know the others mean well, but I question a lot of my own tournament participation in the past. Not all of it, but an example of why I question it is I remember going to events when I was short on sleep, stressed, etc. Shock of shocks, I was much more likely to snap at my opponent's, overreact to situations, misplay, etc. because of it.

An additional word of caution; if what you did is clear in your memory now, that doesn't mean you're actually remembering. Turns out, the more people go over something like this, the more likely they are to remember the "new" version. Something to do with how the actual memory process works in the human brain.

So... I'm sorry that some (possibly) well-meaning, high ranking players misunderstood the situation and intervened, leading to you receiving a warning. I'm not sure if they are even supposed to do that. Your opponent did have a Warning coming, because he or she wasn't paying attention (or hoped that this whole thing might goof you up). The best thing you can do, is avoid letting it snowball into something else. After a few weeks or months, if you think this is still a serious issue, consider contacting Play! Pokémon about amending the rules for these situations.

Back