Tournament Had an "interesting" league challenge experience.

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
I was there with some friends and then we find out Igor Costa and Jimmy Pendarvis are there. No big deal, I like a challenge. So I'm 2-0 and paired with a local Gardy player in a mirror match. In the middle of the game, I make a sequence of plays where I: Super-Rod 3 cards back in, Premonition, then Sycamore. I have Octillery out but did not Abysmal Hand. After secret springing the energy on my active Gardevoir, Igor and Jimmy point out that I tried to draw to 6 with Octillery, which is just not true.

Then they ask how I got a certain card and I have poor memory on trying to backtrack stuff so this didn't help my cause. We both got warnings but I should have never gotten one to begin with. I know what I did and I know that they were not completely watching the game so it'd be easy for them to miss a play.

Maybe this is minor to an outsider, but I was not happy to be disrespected like that when I did not do anything wrong. But the judge can't give me the benefit of the doubt because he can't verify what really happened and I guess having 2 top players argument against mine doesn't help.

I might just stick to playing online. I don't mean this post in any sort of negativity towards Igor or Jimmy but clearly, they misunderstood what I did because I maybe did not announce my move in a proper manner. Regardless, it was a relative not issue because I was going to Sycamore anyways to draw more cards.

I had a similar situation where my opponent had left a card facedown under his elbow which I couldnt see. He found out a few turns later and told me, and thrn we called a judge and we both got a warning, that was it. No other penalties not even for him. I can understand that when I would have been able to see it happen, it is our responsibility to keep track of the board state.

I had a similar situation where my opponent had left a card facedown under his elbow which I couldnt see. He found out a few turns later and told me, and thrn we called a judge and we both got a warning, that was it. No other penalties not even for him. I can understand that when I would have been able to see it happen, it is our responsibility to keep track of the board state.

Yeah I guess but the whole experience last night just ruined my perspective of the game in person really. My opponent wasn't even aware of what was happening either and he pays attention to what I was doing. He just kept going along with Igor and Jimmy, because they are the big dogs in town. And Igor apparently needed points or something that winning the league challenge would get him, and 2 of his wins were from auto scoops. Really? Seems stupid to get scoops just because of who you are and needing points. In last round, he got the free win so he could go home and have his points.

I don't know why you're mad, you only got a warning

If you want to avoid stuff like this happening take steps to make your actions clear such as leaving the supporter you played for the turn on the board or marking or taping pokemon when you use there ability.

I don't know why you're mad, you only got a warning

It was a waste of time and something that wasn't even true. The thing I was accused of did not affect the game whatsoever either. Shouldn't have even gotten a warning because that implies I did something wrong, which I did not. I don't like being wrongly accused. I'll stick to playing online so I don't have to deal with rulesharks.

It was a waste of time and something that wasn't even true. The thing I was accused of did not affect the game whatsoever either. Shouldn't have even gotten a warning because that implies I did something wrong, which I did not. I don't like being wrongly accused. I'll stick to playing online so I don't have to deal with rulesharks.
You did do something wrong, you didn't play clearly enough so that you couldn't be accused of something you didn't do.

I had edited my post before you replied (accidentally hit enter early) there are some tips for you in that regard

You did do something wrong, you didn't play clearly enough so that you couldn't be accused of something you didn't do.

I had edited my post before you replied (accidentally hit enter early) there are some tips for you in that regard

I announced everything clearly, but I guess that's not enough for some people. Thing is, the 2 players (Igor and Jimmy), I know for a fact they weren't watching the full game. I saw them up and about in a corner of the room so it'd be easy for them to have missed something. But whatever. Still upset I got made to look like a fool in front of everyone basically and to have someone imply that I'd draw an extra card ala cheating is insulting. It messed up my psyche for that game too and things just went very downhill once the game resumed.

That is correct, announcing things isn't enough for some people. That's why I said to leave your supporter on board and tap used pokemon abilities.

@CrownAxe I don't think this person really understands how they screwed up. They are simply upset because they received a warning when they believe they shouldn't have gotten one at all. When you say things like "I have a poor memory when trying to backtrack stuff" but also list the exact sequence you did, that makes 0 sense to me. He/she couldn't backtrack but now you know the exactly play that you made?

This isn't the only place they are complaining about this either. They posted this exact complaint in the pkmntcg subreddit.

@Seastrome You admitted that your poor memory didn't help you when trying to backtrack, so how can you be so sure now that the sequence you listed is exactly what you did? Regardless, you need to experiences like this and learn from them, not hold grudges. We all make mistakes and I doubt that anyone was trying to make a fool out of you.

@CrownAxe I don't think this person really understands how they screwed up. They are simply upset because they received a warning when they believe they shouldn't have gotten one at all. When you say things like "I have a poor memory when trying to backtrack stuff" but also list the exact sequence you did, that makes 0 sense to me. He/she couldn't backtrack but now you know the exactly play that you made?

This isn't the only place they are complaining about this either. They posted this exact complaint in the pkmntcg subreddit.

@Seastrome You admitted that your poor memory didn't help you when trying to backtrack, so how can you be so sure now that the sequence you listed is exactly what you did? Regardless, you need to experiences like this and learn from them, not hold grudges. We all make mistakes and I doubt that anyone was trying to make a fool out of you.

Because the issue at hand was people thought I used Octillery to Abysmal Hand till I had 6, which is false. Why? I NEVER used Octillery that turn in question because I had the Sycamore and played the Sycamore after using Super Rod and the Premonition from Gallade. They probably thought I used Octillery right after Premonition, which is where the confusion probably lays. Regardless, I KNOW I did not do anything wrong play wise. If anything, I did not maybe announce my intent well enough.

But I was announcing my moves well enough that my opponent understands, which is the main thing that matters. A spectator didn't understand something and turned it into confusion. And I couldn't remember because I went to this tournament right after a long day of work. It's not a setting where I'd feel mentally sharp given the circumstances.

Yeah no, this clearly an abuse of "status" in this situation, the only thing this teaches is to make sure you have someone to back up your claim, because it is ridiculous that a spectator, not even the player in the match, was able to cause a warning. Also announcing things isn't clear enough?! This isn't juniors or pre-school, if you can't understand that I just said "I will use Wonder Tag" and need me to tap the card too, thats your own problem. Just like when people ask me cards in hand and I show by don't said it. I don't have to say anything, I just have to show you, no where in the rules does it say I have to talk, only that I have made the information asked of me available and clear.

To explain what happened and see what others have to say about it? Same as any other thread about whatever topic you choose.

And thing is, I have played at this local card shop many times and never had a problem until these 2 top players showed up out of the blue. And they weren't even paying attention to every move because they were chatting with others and up and about. So it's really on them having not followed what had happened. But because it's Igor Costa and Jimmy Pendarvis, I guess I'm the one that's wrong somehow. I VERY CLEARLY made my intent, not my fault spectators not paying attention didn't know what I had previously did.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore because I'm done playing in person. This experience ruined it for me. It was already tough finding time to go to events because of work. Now I got to deal with people doing this shit to me just because I'm a random player to them.

I'm pretty sure they weren't even supposed to be watching the game to begin with. At least, all of the hardcore judges will tell you that you can't spectate the game from close up. I had a similar experience at a league challenge in August. I was playing Ninetales, and on my final 3 turns, I used Aqua Patach a total of 3 times. Then some YGO player told my opponent after I won that I cheated. So my opponent told that to the judge behind my back, except the judge watched out entire game, along with 2 spectators. I didn't remember that I Aqua patched at the time, but I remembered later when trying to figure out what was mistaken for me cheating. This situation is very similar, except that because high tier players were the ones telling the judges, you got a warning. Don't let this experience ruin the game for you. I've been harassed by players in tournaments before, and on my first league challenge, my second opponent playing VirGen was making fun of my Mega Lucario deck and calling me a scrub. After beating me, he didn't say "good game", he just walked away to tell the judge he won. Same little turd did the same thing to me in a cities a year later, except I was playing Night March/ Bronzong. He kept calling me a scrub, and when I Trainer's Mailed for an AZ, I left it on the board when I shuffled my deck, and called a judge to force me to play it because "it's supposed to go to your hand before you shuffle". Judge Tina Michie ruled in his favor and I was forced to play AZ when I had a Sycamore at hand. I told her he was harassing me, and she didn't do anything, saying he was just joking. I still beat him, so there was that.

Don't let that ruin your experience. If you know you did not cheat then that's all that matters; mistakes happen.
I agree with gumball51321, there should not be any players other than a judge, interfering with a game.
So sorry that happened. :(

Why don't we rename 'warnings' to 'alerts' or 'signals'? Then nobody would feel like they did anything wrong.

Back