• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Greninja GX/Glaceon GX Deck

Wolfshadow1121

Aspiring Trainer
This is my Greninja GX/Glaceon GX build. Any suggestions?

Pokémon – 17

4 Eevee SUM 101/149
3 Glaceon-GX UPR 39/138
3 Froakie FLI 22/131
2 Frogadier FLI 23/131
2 Greninja-GX FLI 24/131
1 Volcanion* FLI 31/131
2 Oranguru SUM 113/149

Trainers - 33

2 Cynthia
2 N
3 Guzma
1 Brigette
3 Professor Sycamore
2 Lillie

4 Ultra Ball
4 Aqua Patch
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Field Blower
2 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
3 Nest Ball
2 Energy Loto

Energy - 10

4 DCE
6 Water

Last edited:
Any reason not running Tapu Lele GX? Just curious

I would add another Eevee somehow, drop a float stone for another field blower.

Supporter line looks okay, for post rotation you can swap Judge for N

It would probably help to sneak some Sycamore or Crasher Wake in for more draw support. I’m also thinking Latios might be worth testing (vs Koko).

If your league allows proxies, you could always get one of those world championship Tapu Lele cards and replace one of the Oranguru for it.

I played against someone with this deck but they were also running a copy of dark Hoopa. It was pretty difficult to work around at first

I have been running this deck lately. Here are my counts;

FYZQmXI.png

I think it's pretty essential to get Glaceon out on T1 every game. The essence of the deck is to lock down Lele support of your opponent and make them struggle to set up. Hence I have higher counts than you of Float Stone, [W] Energy, Energy Loto, Nest Ball and Lillie. I like the idea of Splash Energy, but this won't find you a T1 Glaceon when you need it.

I am also curious why your Sycamore line is so thin when you are actively trying to get [W] into the discard to use with Aqua Patch.

I have been running this deck lately. Here are my counts;

FYZQmXI.png

I think it's pretty essential to get Glaceon out on T1 every game. The essence of the deck is to lock down Lele support of your opponent and make them struggle to set up. Hence I have higher counts than you of Float Stone, [W] Energy, Energy Loto, Nest Ball and Lillie. I like the idea of Splash Energy, but this won't find you a T1 Glaceon when you need it.

I am also curious why your Sycamore line is so thin when you are actively trying to get [W] into the discard to use with Aqua Patch.
What should I replace with Sycamore? And could I use crasher wake instead?

imo Crasher Wake is only ever useful in decks that either utilise a high [W] energy count - i.e. no DCE, and all [W] - say 10-12+. Or in decks that have other ways to pull energies - say for instance, many Professor's Letters or Lotos. But don't add these solely for the sake of using Crasher Wake. Maybe after rotation once your other options are more limited, then Wake becomes more attractive. But for a deck with only six [W] that you need for other things, he's too often a dead card in your hand.

For now, you want draw supports to count about 9/10/11. I like Lillie over Brigette, and using Nest Balls and/or Brooklet Hill for that initial surge. You want your T1 supporter getting you a [W] energy whenever you need one, and can't be wasting that supporter on Brigette if the [W] isn't present.

It's hard to say what to cut Sycamore for. If it were me, I would build it differently altogether. Hence see my list above :p

Right now you have: 1 Sycamore, 3 Cynthia, 3 N, 1 Crasher Wake, 2 Brigette
My list runs: 4 Sycamore, 2 Cynthia, 2 N, 2 Lillie

But I also have Zoroark Draw where you have Oranguru, so that's kind of important when it comes to draw power. Plus I have three extra Balls than you, and those Energy Lotos are not to be underrated for getting both the T1 [W] and the DCE when required. or even just fueling Volcanion's gust. All of these cards mean I can more consistently turn a little draw into a lot of draw and get the cards I need when I need them. I have had to cut some corners to fit them in, but they are of far greater use than your third Glaceon/third Greninja/extra two Aqua patch etc. etc.

Consistency is key always. Doubly so when a deck relies like this one, on achieving a T1 lock.

imo Crasher Wake is only ever useful in decks that either utilise a high [W] energy count - i.e. no DCE, and all [W] - say 10-12+. Or in decks that have other ways to pull energies - say for instance, many Professor's Letters or Lotos. But don't add these solely for the sake of using Crasher Wake. Maybe after rotation once your other options are more limited, then Wake becomes more attractive. But for a deck with only six [W] that you need for other things, he's too often a dead card in your hand.

For now, you want draw supports to count about 9/10/11. I like Lillie over Brigette, and using Nest Balls and/or Brooklet Hill for that initial surge. You want your T1 supporter getting you a [W] energy whenever you need one, and can't be wasting that supporter on Brigette if the [W] isn't present.

It's hard to say what to cut Sycamore for. If it were me, I would build it differently altogether. Hence see my list above :p

Right now you have: 1 Sycamore, 3 Cynthia, 3 N, 1 Crasher Wake, 2 Brigette
My list runs: 4 Sycamore, 2 Cynthia, 2 N, 2 Lillie

But I also have Zoroark Draw where you have Oranguru, so that's kind of important when it comes to draw power. Plus I have three extra Balls than you, and those Energy Lotos are not to be underrated for getting both the T1 [W] and the DCE when required. or even just fueling Volcanion's gust. All of these cards mean I can more consistently turn a little draw into a lot of draw and get the cards I need when I need them. I have had to cut some corners to fit them in, but they are of far greater use than your third Glaceon/third Greninja/extra two Aqua patch etc. etc.

Consistency is key always. Doubly so when a deck relies like this one, on achieving a T1 lock.
OK. How does my deck look now?

Looks good to me. Sure play a few games with it online, and you'll soon enough find out if you need to tweak it a little further.

I wonder if you can find room for an Energy Loto or two. Criminally underrated card.

Why not just use professor's letter instead? You would get more energies that way. As for testing it online, the best deck I have on the PTCGO is an empoleon deck lol.

Looks good to me. Sure play a few games with it online, and you'll soon enough find out if you need to tweak it a little further.

I wonder if you can find room for an Energy Loto or two. Criminally underrated card.
Actually, nm. I guess energy loto lets you get special energies.

Actually, nm. I guess energy loto lets you get special energies.

Spot on with my reasoning there. You need those energies in a very specific order too is an issue.

Although, there is an argument to be had for how Letter would allow you some fodder for Aqua Patch and Volcanion's ability. That's your call.

Spot on with my reasoning there. You need those energies in a very specific order too is an issue.

Although, there is an argument to be had for how Letter would allow you some fodder for Aqua Patch and Volcanion's ability. That's your call.
Hey Yog. I have been thinking about it lately and I was wondering if you thought it would be possible to squeeze in a Cyrus? I think it would be pretty detrimental to decks like buzzwole. Also, do you think it would be necessary to throw in a mewtwo as well? Thanks!

Could benefit for sure, would be worth at least testing it out.

For pros it would be devastating when timed correctly. For cons it is hard to do this, and you will find you discard it early quite often in which case it's a dead card. Additionally, your opponent can just use it to wipe the slate clean of all your snipe work. But played correctly sure, it could be a great addition. You also have to find the room for it :p

Could benefit for sure, would be worth at least testing it out.

For pros it would be devastating when timed correctly. For cons it is hard to do this, and you will find you discard it early quite often in which case it's a dead card. Additionally, your opponent can just use it to wipe the slate clean of all your snipe work. But played correctly sure, it could be a great addition. You also have to find the room for it :p
How about a mewtwo?

Yog,

Your Deck Build.... How has is squared up against other common meta decks? (Buzzwole, Zoroark, Malmar(anything) etc etc....) Im curious about your build... I got a standard tourney coming up and think of playing water... would like to know what experience this deck has had?

Yog,

Your Deck Build.... How has is squared up against other common meta decks? (Buzzwole, Zoroark, Malmar(anything) etc etc....) Im curious about your build... I got a standard tourney coming up and think of playing water... would like to know what experience this deck has had?

It depends on the opponent mostly. A smart opponent can definitely make it difficult for you but it's not like it's a very commonplace deck, so they have to think on their feet. Fair warning I only really play on the client so I don't have much of a way to tell if my opponent is good or bad except by judging their plays and list. Also I have since removed one Nest Ball in favour of a second Rescue Stretcher. Cards 61 & 62 are another Aqua Patch, as well as a Special Charge with all the special energy hate of late, but finding room for them is the trouble.

In terms of match-ups, Fire is usually a walk in the park for obvious reasons. Turbo Ho-oh can be difficult to get around.
You have mixed weakness yourself, nothing to fear against metal, Metagross is about the only half-way relevant thing unless Silvally metals makes a comeback and the ability lock cripples both.
Grass however, is the most uphill battle. Against Bulu you need Volcanion out early so you can try target the Grubbin. Against Golisopod Volcanion only makes it easier for them to max the attack :| Killing the chance of an early Brigette in both has to be the plan. If there is a lot of either in your local meta, I would probably thin the Greninja line to 2-2-2 and up the Eevee to 4-3.

As for the main decks, Zoroark-based stuff is hurt terribly by cutting off it's draw power. Should be mostly easy pickings. Malamar is not as easy. Stopping invasion from working is your main tactic here, but a clever player will just work around that. Can be tough. Buzzwole the toughest of the three tough since most of their momentum is not particularly down to abilities. You can at least shut off Lycanroc/Lele/Regirock.

These and Malamar fights can be won with your own smart play. I do think the deck has a reasonably high skill level to pilot. You need to be always thinking about exactly where to put your snipe counters. The deck runs tight counts too, so it's important to know that second Aqua Patch is buried in the prizes and not in your deck.

I'd be happy to take it to a tourney, but then again I have at least 100 games with it under my belt. I would not recommend it for going in unpracticed. But take it for a spin online for a while. See if you like how it runs.

Back