• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fight Alone Lucario

Snek

AHHH!
2m2vnz5.png
10 Pokémon
1- Klefki STS 80
1- Cobalion STS 74 or Jirachi ROS 42
4- Riolu FAC 45
4- Lucario FAC 63

42 Trainer Cards (14 Supporters)
4- Trainers' Mail ROS 92
2- Professor's Letter BKT 146
3- Level Ball AOR 76
4- Captivating Poké Puff STS 99
3- Super Rod BKT 149
3- Exp. Share PRC 128
3- Evosoda GEN 62
2- Escape Rope PRC 127
4- VS Seeker ROS 110

2- Hex Maniac
1- Pokémon Ranger STS 104
1- Skyla BKT 148
3- Professor Sycamore BKP 107
1- Teammates PRC 141
4- N FAC 105
2- Lysandre AOR 78

8 Energy
8- Metal Energy XY 139

The way this deck works is pretty self explanatory. Lucario's "Fight Alone" attack for two Metal Energy does 30 damage + 60 more for each fewer Pokemon you have in play than your opponent. And most of the time, he is literally fighting alone and dealing 210+ damage.

-One Klefki for stalling against Mega Pokemon and because it can remove itself from the bench.
-Evosoda and Level Ball instead of Ultra Ball to conserve cards and set up Lucario in a pinch.
-Exp. Share saves energy and helps to get a second Lucario ready by the time the active one is knocked out.
-Super Rod x3 because you will lose some Lucario and need to recycle them.
-N and Sycamore for draw support.
-Professor's Letter for grabbing Energy.
-Hex x2 for shutting down ability-heavy decks.
-Lysandre x2 for sniping EXs and taking two prizes at once.
-Escape Rope works wonders in this deck, either making your opponent switch out their active Pokemon, or switching Lucario into the active if you started or had to stall with Cobalion or Klefki.
-Captivating Pokepuff lets you predict your opponent's next turn and put their basic Pokemon onto their bench. Sadly, it will miss most of the time so you need to run 4.
-Skyla and Trainers' Mail to draw into Escape Rope, Captivating Pokepuff, Evosoda, Professor's Letter, or whatever trainer you need.

The reason I think this deck is good is because of what people will probably be playing in the new format. It's consistent, lots of fun, and has the added benefit of being inexpensive to build.

-Mega Mewtwo is a pretty even matchup. If the Mewtwo player runs Hoopa to set up, Lucario can hit those high numbers needed to get three OHKO's. The Mewtwo player has an advantage of adjusting their play-style to not putting many Pokemon on the bench.
-Mega Rayquaza is knocked out in one hit having four more Pokemon than you, and that's an almost guaranteed situation considering Mega Rayquaza needs at least four benched Pokemon to one-hit-knock-out Lucario. There's also Klefki to protect Lucario for a turn.
-Mega Gardevoir and Xerneas Break are both getting attention heading into the new format. Xerneas Break only loses one prize at a time and can deal massive damage by turn three. It can tech BKP Zebstrika and FAC Mew to deal with both Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo. Mega Gardevoir can one-hit-knock-out Mega Mewtwo quite easily, mostly struggling against just Mega Rayquaza. Both of these decks have a metal weakness, allowing Lucario to one-hit-knock-out Xerneas Break for one fewer benched Pokemon and Mega Gardevoir for two fewer benched Pokemon. And both of those decks fill up their benches.
-Lucario does well against many of the other decks I expect to see in the next format too, like Circle Circuit Raichu, Volcanion-EX, and Zygarde-EX. As long as they play a lot of benched Pokemon, or you can play them for your opponent with Captivating Pokepuff, you should have a decent advantage.

Well that's it! I hope you like my list. Test it out, change it up, and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Hey, I'm planning to build this deck too and I think I will complete it in a month, did you already try playing this deck?

One deck it also won't do too well against and you may see, is Greninja Break. However, there isn't a guarantee you'll see that one.

Hey, I'm planning to build this deck too and I think I will complete it in a month, did you already try playing this deck?
I've been playing this deck on PTCG Online for about a week. I'm trying out a third Captivating Pokepuff today to see if I like that better. Overall it does very well. I haven't gone up against any deck (built for 2017) that I couldn't have beaten yet, but I have lost some rounds due to misplays.

One deck it also won't do too well against and you may see, is Greninja Break. However, there isn't a guarantee you'll see that one.
Thought about this after seeing it make the finals the other day. Greninja Break's probably a worse matchup for Lucario than Mega Mewtwo, and I do think people will play it next format. I just hope Garbodor will discourage enough people from playing Greninja Break that I won't see it much. *Fingers crossed*

From my testing with Lucario/Puff, I found that the more Puff, the better. It isn't a guaranteed card, which means that you might want it when you don't have it and if your opponent knows you're playing it, it could make them try to play around it, which usually leads to weak Shaymins, which is always good. Also, I don't really see why Evosoda over a few Ultra Balls. Maybe take 2 Evosodas for 2 Ultra Balls. In Lucario, I think that Delinquent doesn't work. It's great in theory, your opponent loses their Stadium and they loose their vital resources. However, this could give your opponent a way to get Basics out of their hand before Puff. Furthermore, 3 Super Rod might be a little much. My list runs 2 and it works well. This is where the Puffs could be put. That's not obligatory, it could probably pass with 3 Puffs, but I prefer 4. I hope this helps :D.

From my testing with Lucario/Puff, I found that the more Puff, the better. It isn't a guaranteed card, which means that you might want it when you don't have it and if your opponent knows you're playing it, it could make them try to play around it, which usually leads to weak Shaymins, which is always good. Also, I don't really see why Evosoda over a few Ultra Balls. Maybe take 2 Evosodas for 2 Ultra Balls. In Lucario, I think that Delinquent doesn't work. It's great in theory, your opponent loses their Stadium and they loose their vital resources. However, this could give your opponent a way to get Basics out of their hand before Puff. Furthermore, 3 Super Rod might be a little much. My list runs 2 and it works well. This is where the Puffs could be put. That's not obligatory, it could probably pass with 3 Puffs, but I prefer 4. I hope this helps :D.

Can you share us your deck list?

I really think Mega Ray will see more play this format and like what Snek said, Garbodor is a problem to the other decks

Why are you not running Sky Field Stadium in order to maximize your Captivating Poké play?

You may also want to play-test a lot against Volcanion decks which should be perhaps a very tough match for you to win.

I might try it out with four Pokepuffs. Three works nicely though. Just don't play them recklessly. Wait until mid-to-late game to start using your Pokepuffs and you'll have more success with them.
I actually ran three Ultra Balls at first. I like three Evosoda better because you don't have to discard and also because there's only four stage one Pokemon in the deck.
I'm also good with the three Super Rods. I use them all quite frequently to keep up with other fast-paced decks.
Delinquent, however, I could do without. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Hex Maniac or a Team Flare Grunt or something like that. The only reason I haven't taken it out yet is because of Parallel City.

Why are you not running Sky Field Stadium in order to maximize your Captivating Poké play?

You may also want to play-test a lot against Volcanion decks which should be perhaps a very tough match for you to win.

I thought about putting a Sky Field in initially. It's just not useful most games. I can already OHKO anything for 330 if my opponent has five benched Pokemon.
Volcanion seems like it would get a good matchup against Lucario because of typing, but Lucario outspeeds Volcanion in the prize duel and Volcanion just puts too many Pokemon on the bench, assuring that Lucario will hit big numbers all game. I'm not saying Volcanion won't win sometimes, but I've beaten a few already and I'm not too worried about it.

Last edited:
Volcanion just puts too many Pokemon on the bench
I can confirm that.

Volcanion may not be as bad of a matchup as it looks for this deck. I've been playing a Volcanion deck with 3 Volcanion-EX, 2 Shaymin-EX, and 1 Hoopa-EX. I want as many Volcanion-EX on the bench as I can get at all times. In trying to do that, generally a Hoopa or Shaymin gets down there as well.

When I first put the deck together like this, my bench was constantly full. Most of the time I had to limit myself to 2 Volcanion-EX to make sure I had space for a viable backup attacker and actually had a Pokemon there worth using baby Volcanion's Power Heater for. The junked up bench became so much of an issue for me, that I started running Sky Field. Whether or not Sky Field becomes a popular card for the deck remains to be seen, but the deck will end up with 5 benched Pokemon really fast either way. Without having paid attention to how it runs with this deck in mind, I can't say with 100% confidence, but I'm going to guess that Volcanion might struggle to get enough energy fast enough to start wrecking this deck before it's too late.

Volcanion seems like it would get a good matchup against Lucario because of typing, but Lucario outspeeds Volcanion in the prize duel and Volcanion just puts too many Pokemon on the bench, assuring that Lucario will hit big numbers all game. I'm not saying Volcanion won't win sometimes, but I've beaten a few already and I'm not too worried about it.
Not sure how Lucario would "outspeed" Volcanion since Lucario needs to first evolve; whereas "little" Volcanion (could take most prizes till time to KO 1 of your Shaymin EXs for the win) can start taking prizes as early as T2 with just 2 Volcanion EX on the bench.

I can confirm that.

Volcanion may not be as bad of a matchup as it looks for this deck. I've been playing a Volcanion deck with 3 Volcanion-EX, 2 Shaymin-EX, and 1 Hoopa-EX. I want as many Volcanion-EX on the bench as I can get at all times. In trying to do that, generally a Hoopa or Shaymin gets down there as well.
Recognizing the match-up against Lucario, a "large" bench just isn't needed; so, the game should still be quite favorable for Volcanion, IMO.

Not sure how Lucario would "outspeed" Volcanion since Lucario needs to first evolve; whereas "little" Volcanion (could take most prizes till time to KO 1 of your Shaymin EXs for the win) can start taking prizes as early as T2 with just 2 Volcanion EX on the bench.

Recognizing the match-up against Lucario, a "large" bench just isn't needed; so, the game should still be quite favorable for Volcanion, IMO.
That's where it kind of comes down to luck of the draw, though. To quickly get 2 Volcanion-EX on the bench with baby Volcanion active and all the energy you need to Steam Up and do real damage, you either have to get lucky and draw into all that right up front or you'll end up bloating the bench with Pokemon based draw power.

So far, I can't remember being able to get 2 Volcanion-EX on the bench with the necessary energy to discard without using at least a Hoopa or Shaymin. Most of the time both have been required. In that case, turn 2 might let Volcanion knock out a starter, but at that point there's probably a Lucario ready to go that will step in with the ability to one shot everything in the Volcanion deck.

Granted, my experience so far has been testing the deck with 3 of each Volcanion. With 4 of each, you may have more luck getting what you need to set up without filling the bench. I'm not going to say that Volcanion is a remotely good matchup for this deck, but given how the Volcanion deck needs to set up it will take a little bit of luck on Volcanion's side to make it an all out bad one.

I said Lucario outspeeds Volcanion in the prize duel. Volcanion can only ever take one prize at a time against this deck (because it only runs non-EX Pokemon), while Lucario can take two for most of its knockouts. If I get a Lysandre early on, sometimes just an Escape Rope, it can be a quick game.

That's where it kind of comes down to luck of the draw, though.

Luck of the draw can be a big deal for Lucario. It sets up with an Unown or a Klefki in the active more often than with Riolu. This can give Volcanion the time it needs to set up. Bad starts are primarily why I run two Escape Rope, the second reason being to switch out my opponent's walls. If Lucario needed three energy or was a stage three Pokemon, the deck wouldn't be competitive. But since it is usually easy enough to get a Lucario with two energy out front by turn two or three, and to be able to continue setting them up quickly throughout the game, this deck can get away with bad starts sometimes and still win.

Last edited:
I have tested and liked playing a 2-2 line of Zoroark with 2 Float Stone. You can use Zoroark as not only free retreat but also as an amazing alternative attacker with Mind Jack. You might also want to consider upping the count of pokepuff in your deck.

I have tested and liked playing a 2-2 line of Zoroark with 2 Float Stone. You can use Zoroark as not only free retreat but also as an amazing alternative attacker with Mind Jack. You might also want to consider upping the count of pokepuff in your deck.

I think adding any other attackers or bench sitters in this deck will defeat the purpose of using Fight Alone Lucario. 60 extra damage is too crucial to miss. Plus, a 2/2 Zoroark line and 2 float stones is a big chunk of the deck. I wouldn't know where to find the space.

I am testing the deck now with 4 Pokepuffs and only 2 Exp. Shares. Also took out Pokemon Ranger for Hex Manic. I don't think it will be played as much as everyone's hyped. I can just Lysandre Glaceon and/or KO it for weakness before it can set up.

I would also like to find room for a Giovanni's Scheme. That 20 extra damage would have come in handy in more than a few games.

Last edited:
I threw this deck together online yesterday and did a bit of playing with it last night. This is exactly the type of deck I think is super fun to play in knockaround games just because of the cool synergies and the fact that it isn't an EX heavy meta deck. Unfortunately, outside of playing against some of the big bench meta decks that look to be popular post-rotation, this thing might not be for me.

I've done only a small amount of testing with it so far, but just jumping into versus and playing whoever popped up led to this deck getting destroyed most of the time. It seems that it doesn't run very well against randomly/poorly constructed decks. More often than not, the opponent's bench stayed small to non-existent, and the Captivating Pokepuff whiffed the majority of the time. In the few games that I did get Lucario set up quickly and the opponent played right into it by stacking the bench, the deck ran out of steam before crossing the finish line by whittling the bench down to nothing.

I still really want to put this up against some strong, smartly constructed decks to see how it runs, but it's a huge bummer that it seems to be trending toward being largely unsuccessful against the Frankenstein decks you run into online in versus or on a random night at the card shop.

That said, any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong with it or what I might can change about it to make it run a little better in this specific situation?

...I still really want to put this up against some strong, smartly constructed decks to see how it runs, but it's a huge bummer that it seems to be trending toward being largely unsuccessful against the Frankenstein decks you run into online in versus or on a random night at the card shop.

That said, any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong with it or what I might can change about it to make it run a little better in this specific situation?
I would suggest arranging times to play-test online with your Poke-pals who will run "strong" decks in order to have quality play-testing.

I would suggest arranging times to play-test online with your Poke-pals who will run "strong" decks in order to have quality play-testing.
Totally agree.

I just had hopes that this deck would be playable in something like versus online. It just seemed to be the type of easy to build deck with a cool gimmick that would be fun to sit down and knock out a few random online matches with. I likely won't build the deck with paper, as I already have 3 built to the new standard that I like a little more.

Back