Pokemon Do Mega-Evolutions Make Pokemon Lose Their Potential of Evolution?

The thing is, all the pokemon gaining mega evolutions are pokemon that GF never intended to evolve regularly anyway. Not just that they couldn't evolve them anymore, but that they actually thought of them as the highest stage of it.
And that's obvious of course with things like starters, but even Slowbro or the strong one-stagers like Pinsir.

So the dispute is only about the likes of Mawile and Audino, because they are crap, and the mega evo mostly just brings them to the level of regular strong pokemon, if they're lucky with new ability/type.

I too was expecting Audino to get at least a Blissey-esque evolution that would make it viable, but guess gamefreak doesn't see it that way at all.

Meaning, it would have been the exp-punchingbag of Unova for the rest of it's life, with some gimmicky double battle use...if it wasn't for it's new mega, that gives it some viability.

So you know.. when some of the electric rodent megas come around, people will be complaining that those should've evovled regularly first too, but right now, none of us even actually expect them to get regular evolutions anyway and GF likely isn't planning those.

FoxFire said:
I think part of the reason for megas is that they don't want to keep having to create new items, conditions, or locations for extant Pokemon who didn't evolve before to evolve again.

For example, Leafeon. They couldn't have it evolve by exposure to a Leaf Stone, because Eevee and Leaf Stones existed together in previous games and did nothing. It would jar the continuity. So, they invented the Mossy Rock technique. The Mega Stones makes it easy to add an evolution on top of anything without having to worry about the continuity.

Pure speculation, though.

I doubt it has to do with there being too many evolutionary methods.

1. As first of all, the mega stones are each a new item anyway, so if anything, that fills up your bag with even more unique items than the usual new evolutionary items (as those can be used for more than just a single pokemon).
2. And because they'll want to do something new after a while anyway.
Sure there might be a bunch of megas every gen now, but this will get old really fast too, and at some point someone at GF will come up with some new thing that works differently and adds new pokemon designs with some twist that's probably more creative than "pokemon goes OP for the heck of it"
3. They made Sylveon at the same time as the megas, and even with a new evolutionary method.. so it's not like they don't wanna evolve old pokemon this way anymore.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Lickitung could (if possible) evolve since Gen. II because back then it could already learn Rollout and yet GF didn't make it evolve with another method or new TM in Gen. IV. The same goes for Piloswine.

Sure, but that's either a mistake, or GF was simply confident no one ever made those pokemon learn these moves in the first place xD
The only reason anyone is aware of these 2 cases is because they are the exceptions to GFs evolution-consistency-ideal anyway.

I don't think Game Freak should use continuity issues as an excuse not to give Pokémon evolutions; they made whole new types and changed it for existing Pokémon. I'm all for making the games more fun and better (they're already awesome), so I wouldn't mind if that meant a Pokémon can evolve in a later game and wouldn't evolve under the same conditions in a previous game.

I do think that Pokémon with Mega Evolutions won't receive any regular evolutions, but that's not really certain. Mega Evolutions are form changes, and why would only fully evolved Pokémon be able to get them? So far this has been true, but they have been making more major changes lately so it wouldn't surprise me. As far as the anime goes, giving Pikachu a Mega Evolution would be a perfect way to really evolve Pikachu without making it permanent, but still make it get stronger for battles with a Mega Evolution.

Most Mega Evolutions are pretty strong already in their regular form and a regular evolution would mean they would get much stronger and have the option to hold an item next to that. This would be too overpowered. Some Pokémon are not that strong competitively in their base form, and I would love regular evolutions for them.

One stage Mega Evolved Pokémon that are strong in their base form could always get pre-evolved stages too.

While I agree what was has been said above, now that we have the Mega Evolution mechanic, it seems GF is not very interested in making regular evolutions or pre-evolutions anymore, for reasons unknown. They've even been ignoring Baby pokémon in the TCG since the BW sets.
Sylveon was made likely, in part, because of the introdution of the Fairy-type, to represent it in the pre-release time... kinda like how Plusle and Minun and the Elemental monkeys were made to introduce Double Battles and Triple Battles respectively... Cause it's really the only cross-gen evo introduced this gen and what better pokémon to give another evolution (of a new type) other than eevee, the expert in evolving...
They may change their mind again but for now, looking at Audino, Mawile and Sableye, new evos don't seem very likely to happen soon...

Metalizard said:
While I agree what was has been said above, now that we have the Mega Evolution mechanic, it seems GF is not very interested in making regular evolutions or pre-evolutions anymore, for reasons unknown. They've even been ignoring Baby pokémon in the TCG since the BW sets.
Sylveon was made likely, in part, because of the introdution of the Fairy-type, to represent it in the pre-release time... kinda like how Plusle and Minun and the Elemental monkeys were made to introduce Double Battles and Triple Battles respectively... Cause it's really the only cross-gen evo introduced this gen and what better pokémon to give another evolution (of a new type) other than eevee, the expert in evolving...
They may change their mind again but for now, looking at Audino, Mawile and Sableye, new evos don't seem very likely to happen soon...

Which, though understandable for the first few gens (I mean there really isn't that much to evolve left anyway), would be horrible for just gen 5 alone, as it didn't have anything even remotely resembling a GS/DPt-dose of evolutions, alternate evolutions and baby pokes.
Heck with Mega Audino, the biggest gen ever got a mega before even gettign a single regular new stage whatsoever LOL.

But hey, gen 3 also only added 2 cute pre-evolutions of johto-pokes and NOTHING else, making it seem like they added what they wanted in gen 2, but then DPt followed, adding evos and pre-evos for everything imaginable.
for all we know, gen 7 might be a johto-esque region north of Unova with 20 unova/kalos-evos and 10 babies, while being a gen as big as gen3....or the compelte opposite, a gen the size of gen2, but being exclusively about new "clones" of generic roles (zubat geodude, tentacool replacements etc) with old pokemon as the exotic special and rare pokes in the region LOL.
What I'm trying to say is that basically every "gen-structure" so far was a new combination of these things and not an obvious contunation of the franchise.

I: the initial big bunch of 150
--you'd expect a new big bunch
II: an "expansion" of 100, evolutions/babies, extras, rare stuff. Not standalone setup, compeltely dependant on previous gen.
--you'd expect yet another expansion, or another completely new bunch
III: a fresh bulk of 135, but with ~70 generics mixed in. no evolutions
--youd expect anythign within the range of these 3
IV: 107 new ones, but barely any new generics, extreme amount of evolutions for all gens, and extreme focus on legends
--youd epxect probably soemthing between gen3 and 2
V: completely standalone biggest bulk of 156, old ones dont even show up until post-game
--youd expect an expansion to gen5
VI: extremely low number, ~70 new ones, unexpectably low number of legends, "no" evolutions, but an increasing amount of pseudo-new pokemon in form of mega evolutions
--I have no freakin idea what to expect anymore. over 130? just 50, but a "new" half-gen every year? a gen just about megas and new forms? DPt2.0? BW2.0?..

So if we can say anything about the next generation, it probably won't be the same kind of generation ans any of the 6 we have seen so far.

At the very least, we probably won't get a 4th gen situation again where they give tons of Pokemon new evolutions just for the sake of making certain Pokemon stronger, Mega Evolutions pretty much cover that now. I think they'll more likely just give traditional evolutions to Pokemon that they can either attach completely new concepts to or Pokemon that are just extraordinarily underpowered (stuff like Farfetch'd and Luvdisc). Maybe a few more babies as well, but only if their parent is too strong to appear at a reasonably early point (Druddigon is a good example of this, I can't see them putting something like that earlier than around 5th gym-ish). So I think we'll be seeing less traditional evolutions than we used to (maybe more like 5-10ish per gen), but they won't be gone for good.

@Mitja: I was expecting Gen VI to be the Johto of Unova, lots of evos/pre-evos for gen 5 (and maybe some older pokes too) pokémon. Instead, like you said, we got Megas, which are not really new pokémon but seemed to fill the role of new evolutions for older pokémon in GF's mind...

I like the idea behind Mega Evolution it adds a fresh concept to the world of pokemon that does a lot for the game (i.e. adding new levels of strategy to vg and tcg, breathing new life into older or underused pokemon, and providing a 4th evolution without breaking the 3 evolution standard). As far as basic pokemon who have received megas getting evolutions I'm not sure that will happen, it breaks the consistency of only fully evolved pokemon being able to go mega. That said, anything is possible and we can always hope, with the ever changing face of pokemon, that we get the evolutions we hope for.

21 Two-stage Stone Evolutions: Arcanine, Ninetales, Flareon, Simisear, Cloyster, Starmie, Vaporeon, Simipour, Jolteon, Exeggutor, Simisage, Delcatty, Musharna, Sunflora, Whimsicott, Lilligant, Heliolisk, Cinccino, Honchkrow, Mismagius, and Froslass.

17 Three-stage Stone Evolutions: Ludicolo, Raichu, Eelektross, Vileplume, Victreebel, Shiftry, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Bellossom, Togekiss, Roserade, Florges, Chandelure, Aegislash, and Gallade.

I would say both types of Evolution Stones are related. Mega Stones means the Pokemon is fully evolved, right? Correct. Considering none of the Evolutionary Stone Pokemon even got a regular evolution at some point, it'd be safe to assume they can only Mega Evolve.

What I'm getting at is both types of Evolution Stones stop the Pokemon from evolving regularly.

First off, we can already pretty much say that Pokemon like Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Blaziken, Sceptile and Swampert would never get another evolution in their line. For them mega evolution is all that they have left. Same with Pokemon like Mewtwo and Diancie. Legendaries have yet to evolve.

That being said, I don't think it HAS to make other Pokemon like Audino, Mawile, or Sableye lose any evolution potential (I say right now they probably didn't have much of a chance of getting a real evolution anway). How would this be any different than branch evolutions, barring the fact that one is permanent and would be a different Pokemon while the other is temporary and isn't considered to be a different Pokemon (I guess)? Take Pinsir for instance being Bug but mega evolution makes it Bug/Flying. A further branch could be one that makes it Bug/Ground, this hypothetical Pokemon would probably not mega evolve but its stats could probably be similar to it's mega 'counterpart'.

I'm getting worried that Game Freak could be going in this direction, glorifying Mega Evolution over introducing new permanent evolutions to older Pokemon. Sylveon was the only non-Mega evolution added in Gen6, and there are just so many Megas now, even if not all have been officially released yet. You never know what Game Freak is planning, but it essentially does take away the potential of certain Pokemon like Heracross and Pinsir of receiving proper evolutions. I just hope we don't see a Mega Rapidash, because that is one Pokemon that I've wanted to have a full-blown evolution for many years (obviously it would evolve into a Fire/ Flying).

Please, Pokémon like Pinsir and Heracross don't need a regular evolution, Mega evolution was the best solution for them. Take Scyther, which was the original counterpart of Pinsir, got an evo which doesn't even increase its BST... They readjusted its stats and gave it a different type - Scizor feels more like a form change than an evolution if you don't take its design into consideration... It could have been a counterpart to Scyther just like Heracross became the new counterpart to Pinsir and now Scyther could have a Mega Evolution too...

Pokémon that needed regular evolutions were things like Mawile, Sableye, Audino which instead got Mega Evolutions. While Mawile got lucky due to Huge Power, I doubt Sableye and Audino will have the same luck... And it's Pokémon like those that need regular evos, like Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Maractus, etc.

You know by the same token not every Pokemon needs to be something that should even be considered decent. There's no rule saying Pokemon like Audino, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Sableye, and Pokemon like them have to be made useful for players. Sometimes even those Pokemon with evolutions doesn't necessarily make them good and/or useful. It's the same case in the tcg too. Not just Pokemon either, every ccg has one. In fact most of everything has one (games, characters in shows for example).

Some Pokemon might lose potential for evolution but others this might be the closest they get to anything new and even then it might mean nothing. At least IMO Mega Audino isn't any more useful than Audino.

Back