Pokemon Do Mega-Evolutions Make Pokemon Lose Their Potential of Evolution?

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Mega evolution is great idea . But i think Mega evolution make some pokemon lost their potential of evolution . I can understand that pokemon who have ''three-stage evolutionary line'' get a mega like ...

Bulbasaur --> Ivysaur --> Venusaur --> then Mega

But pokemon who don't have any evolutionary line like Heracross,Mawile,Absol .

Heracross --> then Mega
Absol --> then Mega
Mawile --> then Mega

I think Gamefreak should give them a proper evolution first before give them a Mega . Mega evolution make these pokemon lost their potential of evolution . It seem like these pokemon(who don't have evolutionary line) won't have any improve or develop . It look like the final form of these pokemon . That the reason why i think Mega evolution make some pokemon lost their potential of evolution .

What do you think ?

RE: Mega evo make pokemon lost their potential of evolution

Mawile, Sableye and Audino... That's the only ones I think should have been actual evolutions... the others are fine...

yammark said:
Mega evolution is great idea . But i think Mega evolution make some pokemon lost their potential of evolution . I can understand that pokemon who have ''three-stage evolutionary line'' get a mega like ...

Bulbasaur --> Ivysaur --> Venusaur --> then Mega

But pokemon who don't have any evolutionary line like Heracross,Mawile,Absol .

Heracross --> then Mega
Absol --> then Mega
Mawile --> then Mega

I think Gamefreak should give them a proper evolution first before give them a Mega . Mega evolution make these pokemon lost their potential of evolution . It seem like these pokemon(who don't have evolutionary line) won't have any improve or develop . It look like the final form of these pokemon . That the reason why i think Mega evolution make some pokemon lost their potential of evolution .

What do you think ?

First of all, I don't think mega-evolution is a good idea because how it needs stones, bracelets and other fashion jewelry and the other reason is eaxctly because it ends, as it is, the possibility for an actual evolution. I don't know which Pokémon Professor was studying evolution but if it hasn't even come up with the answer why some Pokémon evolve and others don't then the truth is that obviosly mega-evolution is just a cheap way to make some Pokémon more appealing battle wise and in some cases *coghcharizardmewtwocogh* just doing fan-service while coming up with design concepts that seem horrible and somewhat stupid. Taking into account that most Pokémon that mega-evolve are in their last stage, then yes, Mega-evolution makes Pokémon lost their potencial for evolution because mega-evolution is also a false fourth stage of evolution.

I would like to see split evolutions where you can keep it at its current stage to allow it to mega evolve, OR you may evolve it to it's final, permanent stage. Stat distributions, moves, abilities, and typing could be different between the Mega and the final stage. That's my solution for having both Megas and new evolutions for older Pokemon especially those that already received a mega and are unlikely to ever get a proper evolution.

I definitely agree where Absol is concerned. I think the Mega Evolution for Absol could easily have been a proper Evolution first. And why is it some pokemon evolve 3 times then get a mega, and some don't evolve at all...then get the mega...

I don't really see the point of the Mega Evolution, anyway. I have Blastoise in my team, I have hardly used the stone except when I first had him evolved to try it out...and it really doesn't make a lot of difference so I just ignore it now. I have a Gardevoir in my team too but not the stone yet...don't feel that I'm missing anything by not having it, since she's pretty good on her own.

So yeah, I wouldve rather had evolutions that stuck rather than this stone-dependant evolving. Especially since getting the stones for particular pokemon sounds from what I've read a bit of a headache.

Though I still maintain there should be a mega Vileplume for the sake of Grass pokemon equality - I somehow think if it came to it I wouldn't use it anyway...

Those Pokémon were never going to get an evolution anyway. I actually kind of like that they gave them Megas instead of permanent evolutions, because I really like their base forms, and thanks to Megas I can keep them in base form unless I really need the extra power in a battle.

Well some of the Mega Evolutions look more like regular evolutions anyway. Mega Mawile reminds me of Ambipom, Mega Blaziken looks different enough from regular Blaziken, and Mega Altaria barely looks like Altaria, bar the cloudy parts.

BTW, anyone know why most Megas either have a different secondary colour or keep the same colour scheme as their base forms, but not Mega Charizard X, Mega Latis and Mega Audino? They're the only ones where their base colours got massively changed.
Some Pokémon get additional colours, like pink with Mega Mawile and black with Mega Lopunny, but they're still mostly their base forms colours.

Mega charizad X is an exception, purely fanservice. It's also the only regular, non-mewtwo pokemon to have more than one mega, and since mega charizard Y fits perfectly the standards set by the other mega pokemon; I'd suggest to not consider mega charizard X in any discussion of mega pokemon.

Mega audino changes to white representing moving from a nurse (pink labcoat) to a doctor (white labcoat, notice also its little tie, which seems to be a stethoscope). It's not a big change anyway, since it only inverts the color balance already present in audino.
The eyes I can't explain, though.

The latis are purple because that's what you get by combining red and blue; and since they share the mega form, it's logical to have them share a color.

professorlight said:
Mega charizad X is an exception, purely fanservice. It's also the only regular, non-mewtwo pokemon to have more than one mega, and mega charizard Y fits perfectly the standards set by the other mega pokemon; I'd suggest to not consider mega charizard X in any discussion of mega pokemon.

Mega audino changes to white representing moving from a nurse (pink labcoat) to a doctor (white labcoat, notice also its little tie, which seems to be a stethoscope). It's not a big change anyway, since it only inverts the color balance already present in audino.
The eyes I can't explain, though.

The latis are purple because that's what you get by combining red and blue; and since they share the mega form, it's logical to have them share a color.

Mega Audino looks really sad.

So the Latis do share a Mega form? I got told the faces were different.

At this point, I think it's the Eviolite's existence that prevents any older Pokémon from gaining legit evolutions, which is a darn shame, because the likes of Dunsparce and Farfetch'd definitely need it overtime at this point.

Mega Mawile did manage to be quite a beast, thanks to gaining Huge Power upon Mega Evolving. I'm pleased enough with it as it is.

Can't really say much about Mega Sableye, since we won't know what its' stats are until ORAS are officially released.

CF1994 said:
At this point, I think it's the Eviolite's existence that prevents any older Pokémon from gaining legit evolutions, which is a darn shame, because the likes of Dunsparce and Farfetch'd definitely need it overtime at this point.
I agree, and it's entirely too disappointing, especially since it'd be a pretty minor thing to retcon in the grand scheme of things.

I've always said my favorite Mega Evolutions are the ones that, to me, look like full evolutions. At least in my own strange headcanon I can pretend some of them are actual evolutions.

CF1994 said:
(...)

Can I ask you to ellaborate on that, please? I don't understand how one thing is connected to the other, is that some conclusion that comes out from the competitive play? :(

Leaf_Ranger said:
CF1994 said:
(...)

Can I ask you to ellaborate on that, please? I don't understand how one thing is connected to the other, is that some conclusion that comes out from the competitive play? :(

I think the point he was getting at is that since we now have an item that helps unevolved Pokemon, it will discourage GF from giving new evolutions to old things so they don't get 'overpowered' (which is a totally unfounded and crap reasoning, as the Pokemon who need evolutions are underpowered anyway)
Hell, if anything, the Eviolite might be able to help a couple of the subpar 1-stagers actually get slightly viable.

Leaf_Ranger said:
CF1994 said:
(...)

Although His Goominess already responded to your question, I think I'd rather answer/elaborate the topic a wee bit more.

The Eviolite's coding and data would be very tricky, if not, impossible to retcon and/or work around with, when attempting to get older Pokémon (One stage mons, specifically. Examples: Heracross and Mawile) to evolve.

RE: Mega Evo Make Pokemon Lose Their Potential of Evolution

I don't think their aim is to make every Pokémon viable in competitive play anyway. There will always be weaker Pokémon like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce etc that are not designed to get strong evolutions, or evolutions at all.
In other cases, Pokémon like Mawile and Kangaskhan are already top tier with just their Mega Evolution. Giving them an additional evolution + Mega on top of that would make them even more powerful.

vraieesprit said:
I definitely agree where Absol is concerned. I think the Mega Evolution for Absol could easily have been a proper Evolution first. And why is it some pokemon evolve 3 times then get a mega, and some don't evolve at all...then get the mega...

I don't really see the point of the Mega Evolution, anyway. I have Blastoise in my team, I have hardly used the stone except when I first had him evolved to try it out...and it really doesn't make a lot of difference so I just ignore it now. I have a Gardevoir in my team too but not the stone yet...don't feel that I'm missing anything by not having it, since she's pretty good on her own.

So yeah, I wouldve rather had evolutions that stuck rather than this stone-dependant evolving. Especially since getting the stones for particular pokemon sounds from what I've read a bit of a headache.

Though I still maintain there should be a mega Vileplume for the sake of Grass pokemon equality - I somehow think if it came to it I wouldn't use it anyway...

Well, some pokémon like Heracross and Pinsir don't need an evolution because they're as strong as a stage 2 pokémon (Scyther was a strange case, specially because it and Scizor have the same BST, they feel more like different forms of the same pokémon). That's why they get megas even though they don't have an actual evolution. And that's what ruined Audino and maybe a few others. Audino needed an actual evolution because only then, with higher stats, its Mega would be on equal terms with the other Megas.

The stone-dependant and temporarily thing is my only problem with Mega Evolution. I like the concept, it's my favorite part of Gen 6, but they should let us keep the pokémon in its Mega state after battle. It's really disappointing and like you said, a lot of times, I don't Mega evolve my Charizard cause I don't really need to and I don't feel like always having to Mega evolve it just to admire the coolness of its Mega form. Competitively, it's more important but unless you're going through long battles in-game (like against the Champion), when you're just in a battle against a trainer with like 2 pokémon, it's not worth it...

It's kinda obvious now that they won't get evolutions, so the only improvement they could get now is a pre-evolution. I've seen videos saying Absol needs one. And I agree. And Kanghaskan. I mean the pre-evo has literally already existed!
mega_baby_kangaskhan_by_phatmon66-d6ht6vc.png

I think part of the reason for megas is that they don't want to keep having to create new items, conditions, or locations for extant Pokemon who didn't evolve before to evolve again.

For example, Leafeon. They couldn't have it evolve by exposure to a Leaf Stone, because Eevee and Leaf Stones existed together in previous games and did nothing. It would jar the continuity. So, they invented the Mossy Rock technique. The Mega Stones makes it easy to add an evolution on top of anything without having to worry about the continuity.

Pure speculation, though.

I am a bit indifferent on this. One thing is the viability in the pokemon itself. Some of these pokemon 100% had no chance to get out of the tier it was placed in. Pinsir & Mawile are both examples of this. Pinsirite shot Pinsir all the way to OU due to it having Aerialate, and the boosts in its stats. But some pokemon didn't need a mega like Lucario. It's UU now and one of the better used mons in that tier.

FoxFire said:
I think part of the reason for megas is that they don't want to keep having to create new items, conditions, or locations for extant Pokemon who didn't evolve before to evolve again.

For example, Leafeon. They couldn't have it evolve by exposure to a Leaf Stone, because Eevee and Leaf Stones existed together in previous games and did nothing. It would jar the continuity. So, they invented the Mossy Rock technique. The Mega Stones makes it easy to add an evolution on top of anything without having to worry about the continuity.

Pure speculation, though.

Lickitung could (if possible) evolve since Gen. II because back then it could already learn Rollout and yet GF didn't make it evolve with another method or new TM in Gen. IV. The same goes for Piloswine.

Back