Discussion Counters to Glaceon GX (ULP)

Discussion in 'PTCG Competitive Play' started by FrostBiter12, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Wobbuffet, while a counter, is kind of ehh since it really only helps if you 1.) start with it and/or 2.) Play lele/DW Necrozma-GX
    Mawile CIN can be a soft hit on glaceon-GX with Choice Band as well, especially if you flip heads.

FrostBiter12 likes this.

2. FrostBiter12 Upcoming Worlds Competitor
    FrostBiter12

Agreed, I think that Mawile (CRI) can deal some damage and search for basics with "Call for Family". Just starting with it is the hard part.

AFEX likes this.
  3. Latte1504 Aspiring Trainer
    Latte1504

Super soft counter that is unlikely to work. They can just snipe around it. Also, the ability doesn't work...

4. Laurier_Ex Ninja master
    Laurier_Ex

My deck as a decent solution to the problem in expanded.

Combine the power of Ninja Boy and incorporate 2 great counters in Wobbuffet and Magearna-Ex.

5. AuraJackle Aspiring Trainer
    AuraJackle

Sure it does glaceon only blocks gx and ex abilities

FrostBiter12 likes this.
  6. Except for hitting for weakness, which you could just instead play a Metal deck and/or again CIN Mawile for, what does Magearna do that really makes it a counter to glaceon?

7. FrostBiter12 Upcoming Worlds Competitor
    FrostBiter12

On the contrary, Hoopa (SHL) does slow down my opponent quite a bit. As @AuraJackle mentioned, Hoopa's ability isn't shut off since it isn't a GX/EX, so I would stand by Hoopa has an efficient counter. Even if your opponent can snipe around it, I would prefer that they only deal 30 damage to the bench per turn as it would give me enough time to set up almost any deck.

For future reference, I will post a link in the original post and here to the page where Glaceon GX is translated. Hope this helps!

8. Laurier_Ex Ninja master
    Laurier_Ex

Outside of the Metal deck, Magearna-Ex is the best pokémon to use. It OHKO Glaceon-Ex with 2 energy attachment requirement. Every other Metal pokémon would need 3 energy attachment. CIN Mawile hits for 60 dmg. Unlikely to deal with Glaceon-Gx at all.

My deck plays Rainbow and Prism energy and this makes it easy to include a Magearna and OHKO Glaceon-Gx.

9. Yog Rogue
    Yog

Could you post your projected Prism list for your deck @FrostBiter12 ? It is hard to advise without seeing it.

Just as a general rule of thumb, I expect it is a bad idea to heavily tech for this one specific match-up, especially before we've even seen how it takes shape itself. As a previous commenter said, for all we know the amount of Metal support landing could make Solgaleo BDIF and Glaceon decks may be few and far between. And a quad Glaceon deck would have to be teched for differently compared to a Glaceon+ friends deck.

Regardless of the rest of their deck, T1 for the Glaceon player is to put an Eevee up front and try attach a water energy. But to leave their bench completely empty is a dangerous gambit. And they can't set up a sole second Glaceon until the second turn. And they can't even do that (not via Energy Evolution at least) if they also want to attack. So I do think the key here is a good count of switching cards rather than diluting your own strategy. Reshape your deck but not cripple it - you might have to consider Nest Balls over Brigette play, that kind of thing.

I think it would be far better to strengthen your own list in a way that is applicable in many match-ups. Is your Guzma count maxed out and do you run float stones? Well then perhaps a baby Zoroark & Break line (their own snipe can leave them vulnerable to their own GX attack lol). Do you rely on Skyla for Decidueye candies, if so maybe she can equally fish for an escape rope as the card that will make the difference.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

Brave Vesperia