• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Ambipom/Weavile minus the Ambipom

Mora

Don't Panic
This deck may look familar to some; it did surprisingly well in Nationals. I had played around with it earlier until it turned into a Sharpedo/Victini variant. However, I have recently put yet another spin on it, this time using Zebstrika. Here's the decklist bellow:

Pokemon (17)
3-3 Weavile UD
3-3 Zebstrika ND
2-2 Slowking GS
1 Regigigas EX

T/S/S (31)
4 Hooligans
4 Juniper
3 Collector
2 Judge
2 N
2 Seeker
4 Level Ball
3 Catcher
3 Junk Arm
2 Lost Remover
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Switch

Energy (12)
8 {L}
4 {C}{C}

The idea is to prevent your opponent's setup. It's fairly easy to get a T2 Disconnect, and between Claw Snag, Second Sight, and Hooligans, you can give your opponents those excrusiating "draw, pass" turns. EVERYTHING is searchable via Level Ball. Zebstrika can KO any evolving Basic and some Stage 1's on the Bench, and Weavile gets cheap KO's on Cleffas, Tynamos, and the occasional Solosis. I haven't spent a lot of tine on this idea, but I worry about CMT. It's kinda sad that the most damage I can do is 80 with a costly recoil. And I can't really Catcher something heavy up and Feint Attack around it, so I'll probably need something to hit hard and cheap. I've considered a few candidates: Terrakion, Zoroark, some Legend, Shaymin EX, and Mewtwo. Any suggestions?

How about Zapdos? you add 3 DCEs and he do the same job as Mawile do, working together may they can snipe opponents bench with low cost of energy.

Or even Darkrai EX, he can also snipe and give the advantage of no retreat cost for your pokemon that have a {D} attached to it.

Tornadus sounds like a bad idea, but maybe work too.

Zebstrika isn't in there for sniping; it's in there for Disconnect. 40 damage and trainer lock for a turn. And the only Pokemon who would have {D} attached to it (Weavile) has free retreat anyway. Not sure where the Tornadus came from, but something thay resists {F} would be nice.

Mora said:
Zebstrika isn't in there for sniping; it's in there for Disconnect. 40 damage and trainer lock for a turn. And the only Pokemon who would have {D} attached to it (Weavile) has free retreat anyway. Not sure where the Tornadus came from, but something thay resists {F} would be nice.

Lol, I know what Zebstrika do, thats why I mentioned Mawile. You said that you use Mawile as backup to Faint attack, well, he's a sniper then.

No. I said I use Weavile as a backup attacker. I'm not sure where Mawile came from.

Dammit, I always mess this pokemons names, sorry... where I said Mawile I wanted to say Weavile.

Oh, you noticed that they all had sniping attacks. Yeah, they do feel a little redundant, but I guess because of their other effects, they're both needed. I would like something thay does a lot of Damage or at least provides type coverage cause everything is weak to {F}.

Mora said:
Oh, you noticed that they all had sniping attacks. Yeah, they do feel a little redundant, but I guess because of their other effects, they're both needed. I would like something thay does a lot of Damage or at least provides type coverage cause everything is weak to {F}.

Thats why Zapdos would be a good option for you, 3 points to prove:
1- He's basic, have {F} resistance, his HP and Retreat cost is not that bad;
2- Easy to set up (with only one {E} and a DCE you can start sniping around) an also he uses {L} energy, so you dont need to add Rainbows, Prismas or any other stuff.
3- He have a certain sinergy with Weavile (now I type it right :D) because of his snipe attack. And also, if things turns bad, you have his second attack to try to inflict a bit more dmg.

I'll be building this on the PTCGO after I grab some Sneasels / Weaviles, I'll see what I can do with a few tweaks here and there~

I'll test it out, but I'm leaning towards Shaymin because I already have things that snipe and Shaymin hits Terrakion for Weakness and is a pretty good finisher for when this deck stalls due to big Basics.

Used to play Ambipom / Weavile / Slowking Have been thinking of building it again recently.
This looks like an interesting spin on it, Trainer lock + Hand control is quite a thing, might have to give it a try myself.

I would run Judge in place of Holigans till that comes out, But I like the list
I ended up running Drifiblim in my Ambipom / Weavile list. Only a small 2-2 line but it worked out well Often I would find I could lock my opponent but they would always get 1 Donphan / Zekrom / Reshiram setup, so I would have 1 big attacker to deal with while denying another one being setup. Drifiblim made for a fun way to take them out :p

Would judge help as a supporter to limit their cards? I'd suggest another attacker as well because zebstrika itself isn't enough IMO.

Driftblim has now been added to the list of things to try out! And Hooligans comes out this weekend anyway, but I'm torn between running Judge and N. I remember T2'ing MegaJudge because of a T1 Judge (how ironic). But using N at the beginning just gives them a fresh hand. I was considering running 2 of each. Given your experience with this deck, what do you think I should do?

Jirachi said:
Would judge help as a supporter to limit their cards? I'd suggest another attacker as well because zebstrika itself isn't enough IMO.

I completely agree. Did you have a secondary attacker in mind?

I don't know really. Maybe beheeyem might help or even kyurem because if you start limiting their hands it will be hard for them to draw pokemon?

I thought the idea of this deck was to stop your opponent from setting up? Surely you'd need Zebstrika in that case to prevent them from using any Trainers and while you deplete their resources. Then possibly whilst in the early(ish) game attempt to set up a secondary attacker for the sweep? I personally really liked the idea of Zapdos just because of the synergy with Zebstrika and it doesn't have a bad match up against Terrakion either. I was actually thinking the other day how I used to really enjoy playing this deck so thanks for posting this! =)

JamieSerhan17 said:
I thought the idea of this deck was to stop your opponent from setting up? Surely you'd need Zebstrika in that case to prevent them from using any Trainers and while you deplete their resources. Then possibly whilst in the early(ish) game attempt to set up a secondary attacker for the sweep? I personally really liked the idea of Zapdos just because of the synergy with Zebstrika and it doesn't have a bad match up against Terrakion either. I was actually thinking the other day how I used to really enjoy playing this deck so thanks for posting this! =)

The heavy hitter is for the EX's that are either easy to set up (Mewtwo) or those that are impossible to stop once they get set up (Regigigas). Just something to his for more than 80 would be nice, and I'd probably just run a single copy.

Emopanda133 said:
Add in Persian, it's great for disruption since it noms their hand.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately, I have to keep using Disconnect so that I keep up the trainer lock. It would definately put it in here if it weren't for that.

Jirachi said:
I don't know really. Maybe beheeyem might help or even kyurem because if you start limiting their hands it will be hard for them to draw pokemon?

I only say that because a friend of mine built a Weavile/Persian/Slowking deck that worked like a Durant deck and he keeps winning by deck out, unless he decides to use the Shaymin EX tech and donks. It's a very annoying deck.

Mora said:
Driftblim has now been added to the list of things to try out! And Hooligans comes out this weekend anyway, but I'm torn between running Judge and N. I remember T2'ing MegaJudge because of a T1 Judge (how ironic). But using N at the beginning just gives them a fresh hand. I was considering running 2 of each. Given your experience with this deck, what do you think I should do?

I Would Run a 2 / 2 Split of Judge and N like you suggesetd. Judge is going to be your early game disrupt. If they manage to avoid the lock and start taking prizes you can drop an N Late game to try and help with a comeback. As for heavy hitters, off the top of my head Regigigas EX seems like it would be fun? Don't know if it would suit your version of the deck, I still run Ambipom so I have DCE as well (For regitank)

But Regigigas fits the deck pretty well. You should have enough control over there hand to avoid them 1HKOing regigias, or avoid setting up a 2HKO. Plus he can take a hit from almost anything in the format.

^ Emopanda, I actually posted that in response to Mora's question of what other attacker may be helpful.

Back